• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Question About News Releases.....

In summary, the News Releases are something new to Jennifer and she is having trouble locating them on the website. There is no charge to send a press release, BUT it's at the newspaper's discretion whether it's used or not. The press release is written in an inverted pyramid, giving general information first, then narrowing down the details. Mandy mailed the press release as-is to a couple of community newspapers and hopefully they will run something.
hoosierchef
Have any of you used the News Releases? If so, what are we supposed to do? Just send them to our local newspapers or what? This is something new to me. Does it cost anything?

Sorry about all the ????'s. TIA!

There's no charge to send a press release, BUT it's at the newspaper's discretion whether it's used or not. They have stacks of press releases, and a lot of them are only used as "filler."

Has anyone been able to locate this press release on the website? I am hunting and have followed the directions in the email from yesterday but it is NOT coming up! HELP me all you smart people!

Go to CC, then go to the "Promoting Your Business" Tab. It's listed about half-way down there.

I am so sorry... but that's where I've been and it isn't there... there is nothing that says overview or press release or anything. I went to the downloadable tab as well and there is nothing there either... why can't I see this? I'm following your's and the emails instructions... sigh...

I'm going to shut down my computer and start up again.... who knows... I can't figure out why I can't see the same things on the website ... I even have my contacts in and I can't find it! :)

Instead of rolling over "Promoting Your Business," you actually have to click on it. It then brings you to a DIFFERENT list of items (how stupid!) ....I am thinking that this is what they are calling the "overview of promoting your business"

Thanks for clarifying that Jennifer. Yep. You actually have to click on the tab. Then it is half way down under Press Releases.

She must be restarting her computer! :p

WHAT would I DO without you guys!!!!!!!!!??????????????
Thanks SO much... I feel really stupid but am relieved to know it wasn't right there staring at me!

I used to do PR and Marketing full time (just some background info). Send to the community sections of your local newspapers -- even better if you can get a name. Just call and ask who covers local business community news .

I thought the release they gave us was way too long and poorly written (must have been an intern -- that's who wrote my straight cut releases back in my agency days.) Newspapers cut from the bottom up so you need to write in "pyramid" style. Most important news first. More likely than not the local paper will just run the 1st paragraph. PLus it is alwasy best to have a one page release.

I've attached my edited release -- feel free! (I printed it on pale pink paper)

Attachments

• Press Release.doc
    32 KB · Views: 288
Thanks Mandy!! I didn't realize that we could change the wording around and such! I will try this again once I set up a fundraiser...so that I can try and get it in there this time!

Mandy~

Thanks! You have probably helped out a lot of us with that extra info about how newspapers will cut from the bottom up. Thanks for editing and posting that!!!

It depends on the newspaper, actually and their policies, plus if they want to publish the information or not.The way the press release is written is an inverted pyramid, giving general information first, then narrowing down the details. I like how it is written because it gives pertinent information about the national cause, and then later narrowing it down and saying exactly how they are going about raising the money. I've mailed the press release as-is to a couple of community newspapers. Hopefully they will run something. Sometimes they run it word for word, if they are desperate for something to fill their pages, that is.

Yes - "inverted pyramid!" I agree with sailortena -- every paper has different policies. In my experience, smaller community papers tend to give the best coverage of this type of news. If it is a slow news day/week -- they probably will run it word for word -- which would be great!

Here's to a very slow news week and lots of columns to fill!

Great job, Mandy on the press release!

MandyK said:
Yes - "inverted pyramid!" I agree with sailortena -- every paper has different policies. In my experience, smaller community papers tend to give the best coverage of this type of news. If it is a slow news day/week -- they probably will run it word for word -- which would be great!

Here's to a very slow news week and lots of columns to fill!

Mandy, Thanks so much for the info!! It's great to have so many "insiders" on here!! I knew someone would step forward and let us know how the industry tends to work!

Have a grate weekend!

Related to Question About News Releases.....

1. What is a news release and why is it important?

A news release, also known as a press release, is a written communication that announces something newsworthy about a company or organization. It is important because it allows companies to share information with the media and the public, helping to generate publicity and increase brand awareness.

2. How do I write a news release?

To write a news release, start with a catchy headline that summarizes the main message. Then, include a brief introduction that provides the who, what, when, where, and why of the news. The body of the release should include more details and quotes from key stakeholders. Finally, include contact information and a call to action for the media to follow up.

3. Can I include images or videos in a news release?

Yes, you can include images or videos in a news release to make it more visually appealing and engaging. However, make sure the media can easily access and use the visuals. It is also important to ensure that the visuals are relevant to the news and help to enhance the overall message.

4. When is the best time to send a news release?

The best time to send a news release is typically early in the week, preferably on a Tuesday or Wednesday. This gives the media time to review and potentially publish the news before the weekend. Avoid sending a release on a Friday or over the weekend, as it may get lost in the media's inbox.

5. How do I distribute a news release?

There are several ways to distribute a news release, including using a wire service, sending it directly to targeted media outlets, or posting it on your company's website and social media channels. It is also important to follow up with the media after distribution to increase the chances of coverage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pjpamchef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • RMDave
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • Sheila