• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Problem: Show That's Really a Bbq!

In summary, the host is having a BBQ and just found out that it is really a show. The plans are moving along, but it is not clear when it will end. There will be a demo, but it is not clear what will be shown. There is also a request for books.
AJPratt
Silver Member
I have a show scheduled and just found out that its really a BBQ. Its not a thing were the host is inviting people to a show. I was just confirming the time with her and this is what she wrote:

Plans are moving along. It is still the 25th I am planning on putting @1:30 in the invitations. Not quite sure when it is going to end....so I don't know how long you want to stay for. With regards to the demo....people are going to be in and out. But it doesn't matter to me. Whatever you think will make you the most money. Also, is there anyway that you can send me some books. Might try to get some a few orders prior to the show.

I guess I could get some money, but I don't even know if people are expecting to spend money at this BBQ. What should I do?

Sounds like she wants a free caterer. I would suggest that you set a time with her for a demo and then have some hands-on stations for her guests. Make sure she provides ALL the ingredients (including the hands-on) and understands you need x amount of time to do the quick demo. Her guests also need to know that. If she still wants to keep it the same way, try to change it into a catalog show...I'm not sure how to do that. You might want to mention that you also have a family and only have 2 hours slated for her "show" including set up and packing up.

My daughter wants to do a similar thing. I thought I'd do a 10-minute demo, then have (mostly) summer-fare Pampered Chef products for them to look at, with maybe the 8" saute pan to display. Folks love an easy BBQ! And, just to show she could get in and out of kitchen fast if she wanted to have a fancy dessert, do a cake in the pan (with folks witnessing) how good it is, how versatile the pan is (stove and oven), and how easy cakes come out of the pan. Lots of luck! The other night I did this and used the Celebrate Plate to display the cake on. And the crowd went wild !!!!

Trish
Wave 1

Find out what she is cooking. If she is doing something like hamburgers then just take your chopper (chop onions), your USG (tomatoes). Demo this while they grill...Or if chicken - maybe offer to let her use some of the rubs? Or the new bottle basting brush for sauce.

OR - as guests arrive - let them make an ice-cream sandwich in the sandwich maker - put in a ziploc and write their names on with a sharpie. Freeze and they can eat them later. Then set yourself up a little station for orders while they mingle and have a drink and look at whatever else you want to set up on display, before they eat. I really like this idea sine this is the guest special for June.

Bottom line - do an easy quick demo - let guests float around to stations maybe - do the sandwich, slice the tomatoes, maybe some lemonade or margaritas in the QSP...get the guests involved in the prep.

Last edited:
I had this last year, I wish I would have set some parameters.

I did get invite list and sent out real invites, so people knew ahead of time and could plan for it.

I did let them use the rubs for the Steak, Fish, and Chicken. I also let them use the SA platters to serve the meat. I had the Chillzanne bowls and server for them to use. I also did a quick dessert for them, can’t remember what. But, found out after the fact, that is was actually more of a weekend party/annual event. They did have a good show, almost $600.00, but most were drunk after a while. Since I let them use my things for serving, I had to stay allot longer then I wanted.

If I did one like that again, I’d say you’re more then welcome to use them for serving, and when I’m done with demo, I’ll stay for X amount of time to do orders, etc. and then I’ll need my things to go.

I also stayed at this one, as they had a little baby/toddler and every adult there was drinking and they had a pool with no fence and she was toddling right by pool and I was afraid she’d fall in and no one would notice. I finally went and got her sun screen, as she was very pale and the Mom had put nothing on her!! Even using sun screen, I got roasted.

I also asked hostess/host ahead of time, which meat they did the most and got them that rub as a hostess gift. I did that one time, ordered a whole bunch of them on a $1000.00 show and at 30% off they’re not to bad priced.

HTH,

Lisa

I sent the host an email asking what would be a good time to call her.

She lives an HOUR from me, and she lives about 10 miles from Cape May. I can't imagine what the traffic is going to be like on a Sunday--bumper to bumper. I don't know if its worth it for me to go, set up for an hour, just to be on the road two hours.

I don't even know if the guests know its going to be a PC show.

Why doesn't she just circulate some PC catalogs at the BBQ and ask friends and family to come to a cooking show? That way she can gauge whether she'll have anyone interested in coming, plus gather some outside orders. if no one wants to show up, she can turn it into a catalog show. Just a thought. With gas prices these days, I doubt I would go there for that short a time to be a sidekick at what seems to be a personal party she's having. Also, I don't know how I would feel as a guest at the party -- to be invited to a BBQ is something that I would interpret as a time of relaxation and retreat.. some guests might feel offended.

pchefinski said:
With gas prices these days, I doubt I would go there for that short a time to be a sidekick at what seems to be a personal party she's having. Also, I don't know how I would feel as a guest at the party -- to be invited to a BBQ is something that I would interpret as a time of relaxation and retreat.. some guests might feel offended.

Those are my thoughts also.

She said she is putting 1:30 on the invites - are they PC invites? If they are, I would think the guests receiving them would know to expect something to do with PC. If you talk to her again, just ask straight out, "Do the people coming know that a PC consultant is going to be there for a demo?"

I will. I sent her an email to let me know when to call her to discuss her show. I haven't even given her a host packet yet.

Something similar so...weigh your options. I was invited to come to a lady's home. It ws the same night they have a ****tail party every summer. Not a problem. We sent out PC invites and planned enough food for about 20 couples. Well, all 20 couples showed up. I did my demo, we did the Hummus Squares from the Season's Best. Two of them. And of course the ladies were watching, some what and getting toasted. the guys ignored the entire thing, not unexpected there. We did a whole $249 in sales. UGH! An hours drive from my home to boot with a 7 p.m. start time. I was there until after 10 p.m. Got home at 11:15 p.m. fro $249 in sales. Or $48 in commission. NOT WORTH THE EFFORT.
I got two bookings that did do well so...
I don't know what to tell you as far as whether or not to do it as this type of thing HAS WORKED well for other people. You gotta go with your gut instincts on this one. Just so you know, the two ladies that hosted, a mom and daughter-in-law, were so sure that it would be a great show that even they were excited about it until that night when everyone seemed to be busier drinking than listening. You just never know.

Well, I will be hearing from her. She said she would call me in response to my email. But I did send her a quick email. I liked the idea of telling her guests there will be a PC demo at "x" and whoever wants to be there can be there. Part of me wants to go because there is a potential recruit who sells jewelry who might be there. She was interested and then backed out, saying she wanted to open a daycare center (ugh--I couldn't do that!). So, I thought it might be a good time to follow up with her.

I'm still waiting for her to call. This is the email I sent:
Hi... I was just wondering if your guests knew they were coming to a PC Show? I have invitations to send out for your show. If you want to email me names and address and emails, I can send them out for you. We could always tell your guests that I will do a demo a "x" time and then who wants to be there will be there and those who come later can always place an order later that day. Let me know what you think. I will also drop catalogs and order forms in the mail.

This is what she wrote:
Some guests do know the rest of them will know when I send out the invitations this weekend. I have printed them off already so I can't add a specific time...sorry. I will send a copy to you as well. And I am still planning on calling you...like I said my days and nights are divided amoung 3 different job :) but I will be in touch soon.

Ok....back to work I will be in touch soon.

I just don't know what to do. I feel this girl has a complete lack of respect for what I have to do to run a business. I don't want the invites to go out and me look bad if I don't show up, but I'm really starting to get ticked.

Thanks for all of your advice. The host sent me an email:
Hi Anne-
Well it was another long weekend, and because of it I have decided to cancel/postpone my party. Too much is going on right now (working, going away, have to attend a baby shower, going to a wedding, etc) to worry about food and drinks for about 30 friends, and it is the day of my mother's birthday and she just requested that I wait. She just wants to have some family over that day.

I apologize for doing this. I will let you know if I reschedule it!

I actually wonder if she's canceling the entire BBQ or just telling me not to bother. It works out though, because now I can offer the date to someone who really wants a show.

Who knows what she is planning, at least you don't have to worry about it any more!

I have to say I was relieved. When she wants to do a show, we can work that out, but phew... An hour drive to just sit and collect orders? I would just send her a catalog.

1. What is the "Problem: Show That's Really a Bbq!" event all about?

The "Problem: Show That's Really a Bbq!" event is a fun and interactive cooking demonstration where our Pampered Chef consultants will show you how to make delicious BBQ dishes using our high-quality kitchen tools and products.

2. How long does the event typically last?

The event usually lasts about 2-3 hours, which includes the cooking demonstration, sampling of the dishes, and time for guests to browse and purchase products.

3. Do I need to bring anything to the event?

No, you do not need to bring anything to the event. Our consultants will provide all the necessary ingredients and cooking tools for the demonstration. However, you are welcome to bring a notepad and pen to take notes.

4. Is there a cost to attend the event?

No, there is no cost to attend the "Problem: Show That's Really a Bbq!" event. It is completely free for guests to attend and enjoy the cooking demonstration and samples.

5. Can I purchase products at the event?

Yes, you will have the opportunity to purchase Pampered Chef products at the event. Our consultants will have a display of products available for purchase, and you can also place orders through our online catalog.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Chef_TK
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
OhmyDLM
Replies
Views
esavvymom