• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Potluck Planning: Main Dish Ideas for Room Temperature Serving

In summary, the conversation discusses different recipes and suggestions for a potluck. The speaker is looking for a main dish that can be served at room temperature and receives suggestions for a southwest salad in a trifle bowl, a lemon trifle, and a potato and green bean salad with pesto. The Lemon Pepper Chicken Salad and Chicken Pesto Flatbread are also recommended, with the option of using the Cool & Crunchy Chicken Tacos filling as a salad. The Keith's Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake is also mentioned as a potential dish for the potluck.
leftymac
I have a potluck next week and last time I made the Cranberry White Chocolate Mousse Cake from the Festive Holiday Desserts Cookbook and they all went gaga over it. I want to make something else (preferably a main dish) but it should be something that's ok at roomish temperature. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest the southwest salad in the Triffle Bowl, thus showing it off. Or ANY salad in the triffle bowl. They are an April special so you can't go wrong.I have a potluck next month (a crowd I'm not familiar with) and am going to devise a lemon triffle that's different from the recipe posted here. Simply lemon pound cake, layered with lemon creme pudding (or french vanilla with some lemon juice) and cool whip.

This isn't a MAIN Dish- but a fantastic Side Dish. We loved this dish!! I can't wait until the good summer veggies/basil are in season to make it again.
It is a 'salad' by name, but not the lettuce/tomato type. It was in the S/S 09 Mini-Catalog.

Potato and Green Bean Salad with Fresh Pesto
Fresh basil pesto adds exhilarating flavor to this summer dish.

Salad:
1 1/2 lb fingerling potatoes, quartered lengthwise
1 tbsp Basil Oil or Olive Oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 lb fresh green beans
1/2 small red onion

Basil Pesto:
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
2 Tbsp Basil Oil (I used Olive Oil)
1 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/8 tsp coarsely ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 450 F. For salad, toss potatoes, oil and salt in Stainless (4qt) Mixing Bowl. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on Large Bar Pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring halfway through; remove from oven.

2. Meanwhile, bring salted water to a boil in (2qt) Saucepan. Cut green beans in half. Add green beans to Saucepan and cook 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain using Strainer and immediately plunge green beans into a bowl of ice water. Let stand 5 minutes; drain and pat dry with paper towels. Slice onion into thin wedges using Chef's Knife. For Pesto, finely chop together basil and pine nuts using Food Chopper. Place basil mixture and remaining pesto ingredients in Small Batter Bowl; whisk until well blended. (I actually made the pesto in my food processor- pulse the nuts/basil, drizzle in the oil till blended.)

3. Combine potatoes, green beans, and onion in same mixing bowl. Pour basil mixture over vegetables, tossing to coat. Serve at room temperature.

Yield: 6 servings (1 cup serving size) ...so actually could be more than just 6 servings

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new Lemon Pepper Chicken Salad!

But for a potluck....hmmmm, it's hard for a main dish, other than a salad.

The Chicken Pesto Flatbread is really good too!

Well there's always Keith's Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake that receives raves on a strangely consistent basis.Hmmmmmmm. What about the Cool & Crunchy Chicken Tacos? My AD said they were delicious but messy to eat. She suggest making the filling and serve as a salad topped with avocado slices and tortilla chips around the bowl. Maybe in the Trifle Bowl?

See Keith, I'm not the only one who gravitated to the Trifle Bowl and salads!

What are some main dish ideas that can be served at room temperature for a potluck?

Some delicious main dish ideas that are perfect for potluck and can be served at room temperature are quiches, pasta salads, cold meat platters, vegetable platters with dips, and sandwiches.

How do I keep my room temperature main dish safe to eat at a potluck?

It is important to keep your main dish at room temperature for no more than 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90°F, it should be no more than 1 hour. You can also use ice packs or chill the dish in the fridge beforehand to keep it cool.

Can I use a slow cooker to keep my main dish warm at a potluck?

Yes, a slow cooker is a great option for keeping your main dish warm at a potluck. Just make sure to set it on the warm setting and check the temperature periodically to ensure it stays above 140°F.

Are there any dietary restrictions I should consider when planning main dishes for a potluck?

Yes, it is important to consider dietary restrictions such as allergies, vegetarian or vegan diets, and cultural or religious restrictions. Try to have a variety of options that can accommodate these restrictions.

What are some easy and budget-friendly main dishes for a potluck?

Some easy and budget-friendly main dish ideas for a potluck are baked ziti, vegetable stir-fry, taco bar, pulled chicken or pork sandwiches, and baked potatoes with various toppings. You can also ask guests to bring a dish to share, which can help save money.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cookin to the top
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
chefann
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies