• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Review: Pineapple Wedger - A Vertical Challenge for Short Users

In summary, the pineapple wedger is harder to use if you are vertically challenged, but the end result is great.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I used the pineapple wedger last night for the first time. If you are vertically challenged (i.e.: short) like me, it is kind of tough to use. I had a hard time getting leverage on it. I think it was Deb who mentioned that the Test Kitchen Guy said this might be tougher if you are on the short side, and to cut the pineapple in half and do it half at a time. I'll do that next time. I wanted to see how difficult it was to do it whole...it was difficult . But, the end result was great and I have some yummy fresh pineapple chunks in my fridge :)

Ha! I'll just follow you around and post after you!:D

I'm not vertically challenged - but I've used my pineapple wedger twice now, both times with a taller pineapple, and still find that it works much better if I cut the pineapple in half. But man, I love that thing! We love fresh pineapple, and I am thrilled that I can peel and wedge one so easily now!

(pineapples are $2.79 at Costco all the time!:thumbup:)

I agree, this is one of those more "husband, tall person, etc" friendly items. I had to have my husband use it as I could not get it going. But it did do a great job.

Purchased a pineapple last night for $2.50. Planning on trying the pineapple wedger tonight. What do you consider vertically challenged? I am 5'4".

Oh great :), I'm vertically challenged as well....I haven't tried it yet but will definitely be cutting the pineapple in half first.

do you cut it in half vertically or horizontally?

pkd09 said:
Purchased a pineapple last night for $2.50. Planning on trying the pineapple wedger tonight. What do you consider vertically challenged? I am 5'4".

Nah, you're tall! I'm 5'0"

JBigler said:

Horizontally

JBigler said:

Horizontally - you want to make it shorter.

I'm looking forward to getting my sample order on Friday. I'm 5'9 and will test your height concern... I'm thinking it has a lot to do with upper body strength too...

Are you doing it at your kitchen counter, or on a table? Your kitchen table is shorter and it might help to do it there instead.

babywings76 said:
Are you doing it at your kitchen counter, or on a table? Your kitchen table is shorter and it might help to do it there instead.

I did it on the counter. I thought about using the table (a chair would be even better :) ) but I wanted to use it the way my customers would so that I could relate to them if they call me with a problem.

Also, I'd recommend using the Large Grooved Cutting Board. The pineapple gave off juice when I cut it and you might not want that all over your counter.

I used it last friday and bought me a pineapple for my birthday lol but I loved it, it went easy going and then I used the apple wedger like they showed at leadership and it went so smoothly I am thinking this is going to be my new favorite item. I am thinking on showing it at every show :) if my hostess are okay with it.

Thanks for the tips- I can't wait to order one!

pamperedlinda said:
I did it on the counter. I thought about using the table (a chair would be even better :) ) but I wanted to use it the way my customers would so that I could relate to them if they call me with a problem.

Also, I'd recommend using the Large Grooved Cutting Board. The pineapple gave off juice when I cut it and you might not want that all over your counter.

I never cut anything without a cutting board, especially something juicy.

I do fresh pineapple all the time and always dreaded it until I got our forged cutlery - so easy with that. I am doing a pineapple at my meeting (haven't tried it yet) and plan to cut it in half first even though I am tall (5'8"). I plan to demo it that way to avoid customers having a problem.

I love it!!! I am not short by any means (5 10) and we have cut 6 pineapples already! Be sure to rock it back and forth instead of thinking it just goes straight down - it was quick and easy - I think its going to be a HUGE seller!!!

christinaspc said:
I used it last friday and bought me a pineapple for my birthday lol but I loved it, it went easy going and then I used the apple wedger like they showed at leadership and it went so smoothly I am thinking this is going to be my new favorite item. I am thinking on showing it at every show :) if my hostess are okay with it.

What did they do? Please share!

They use the pineapple wedger first, remove the outer rind, pull the wedger up and off the pineapple. Then you grab the apple wedger and place it on top and push it down through. It looked the the pineapple wedger made it the perfect size to fit the apple wedger.(In that bootleg video footage that a consultant posted on YouTube I saw this demo) ;)

babywings76 said:
They use the pineapple wedger first, remove the outer rind, pull the wedger up and off the pineapple. Then you grab the apple wedger and place it on top and push it down through. It looked the the pineapple wedger made it the perfect size to fit the apple wedger.

(In that bootleg video footage that a consultant posted on YouTube I saw this demo) ;)

Thank you! They had taken the video off by the time I heard about it...

What are you all doing with the core? Are you throwing it away? My DH and I always eat the core. Even on our honeymoon to Jamaica we toured a plantation where they grow a lot of pineapple and they said not to throw away the core but to cut the pineapple into wedges and enjoy it! I wish the pineapple wedger was just that - a wedger - and not a corer, too.

Get_Pampered said:
What are you all doing with the core? Are you throwing it away? My DH and I always eat the core. Even on our honeymoon to Jamaica we toured a plantation where they grow a lot of pineapple and they said not to throw away the core but to cut the pineapple into wedges and enjoy it! I wish the pineapple wedger was just that - a wedger - and not a corer, too.

When I was in S. America, I ate the core too. Because the pineapple was able to ripen completely before being picked, the core was just as edible as the rest of the pineapple.

However, here, (at least here in MI!) the core is harder, and sometimes bitter. I always have to cut it out. I'm so glad that now I have a way to do it easily!

Get_Pampered said:

You could always blend the core with some other fresh fruits and make a smoothie!

That is a great idea! I hate wasting...

Not to hijack, but does is the blade cover loose on everyone's pineapple wedger? Mine's pretty loose - it falls off with a shake.

pamperedlinda said:

Oh, what a great cross-sell opportunity :) I always take this cutting board to my shows. I'm going to tell my customers that once they have fresh pineapple, they'll never settle for canned.

Courtesy reminder: the Spring/Summer supply form has the large grooved cutting board at 50% off (one per consultant).

chefann said:
Not to hijack, but does is the blade cover loose on everyone's pineapple wedger? Mine's pretty loose - it falls off with a shake.

Mine's tight as a drum...have to pull it off.

Ann, mine falls off with a shake, too. I think of it more as a base than a cover. I do love, though, that it has the shaped areas for pushing any stuck flesh or core through. My people will be less likely to cut their fingers. As for the core, I was told once in a class that chewing on pineapple core is good for a sore throat. I've never tried it because I never had fresh pineapple around. The instructor went on to say that it wouldn't hurt you to swallow it, but the core on pineapples here is too fibrous to digest, so you'll just, um, eliminate it.

legacypc46 said:
Oh, what a great cross-sell opportunity :) I always take this cutting board to my shows. I'm going to tell my customers that once they have fresh pineapple, they'll never settle for canned.

Courtesy reminder: the Spring/Summer supply form has the large grooved cutting board at 50% off (one per consultant).

My grooved board was in the d/w so I used a diffrent one last night - got a little juice on my counter from it. I knew I shouldn't have been too lazy to wash the other one.

The PC girls that are on facebook know my story with the corer. :) I am 5 ft nothing and 100 lbs, not for the short and weak even with rocking back and forth. Love it nad the idea, just not for me. DH had no problem with it.

Last edited:
I have GOT to get one of these. I was waiting until I could afford to order the big pkg, as I only got the 1500 level for SAT, but I may have to pay shipping twice and order just this right now. I already have 4 of them sold as soon as they become available just from my gushing about it!

Is anyone having problems with the cover staying on? I thought it would be like the Apple Wedger cover that stays on until you take it off. Mine falls right off. Makes it pointless to use, don't you think?

chefann said:

I just posted the same thing! Mine doesn't even need a shake-it falls right off. I wondered if mine was the only one. Guess I'll have to make a phone call to PC

My cover doesn't stay on at all. I feel bad doing an adj. on it though. I already had to request new bamboo prep towels, large bamboo platter, & grinder stand. I swear I have the worst luck. lol :)The problem I had with the pineapple wedger was that it seemed to have a hard time getting going, to cut through initially. But once it started, it was fairly easy. I had to cut the pineapple in half first. For a while I was thinking that this tool wasn't really that much of a help because I still needed to cut the top, bottom, in half, and then cut all the pieces when I was done with the wedger--and with our fantastic santoku knife it goes pretty quick I might as well just do the whole thing. But then when I was all done, I realized it was a lot less mess than usual and it really was faster.

pamperedlinda said:
Nah, you're tall! I'm 5'0"

Hahaha, I am 5 feet too!

I did my pineapple last night. I am 5'4". Once I got it started it went well. Not sure how it will sell to be honest. In our stores you can purchase a fresh pineapple already sliced or just ask for one to be done.

I have the same issue with the cover. If I put it in a drawer, it wouldn't stay on at all so it is a bit pointless. I think it's b/c it's smoothish rounded plastic instead of metal on the edge. Not much to grip to?

I did put my cutting board and pineapple on the kitchen floor and pushed down ( rocking back and forth). quite comical and I got quite a workout. I will leave the pineapple coring to DH and will not be using it as a demo for my shows.

I had the same issue with the cover, but once I put the cover in the dishwasher to clean it, it now fits nicely. Give it a try, if it doesn't work then do the adjustment

Danielle

pamperedlinda said:

If I hadn't been reading this thread from the beginning, I'da thought something different :D.

That being said, I'm 5'6" and work in the school cafeteria. Yesterday we had fresh pineapple and I cored, sliced and diced 31 pineapples in about 45 minutes with the wedger...normally it would have taken well over an hour. This wedger rocked my world!!! (shhhh, I know it should not have been used commercially, but I had to try it and all those pineapples were scaring me!)

Get_Pampered said:
What are you all doing with the core? Are you throwing it away? My DH and I always eat the core. Even on our honeymoon to Jamaica we toured a plantation where they grow a lot of pineapple and they said not to throw away the core but to cut the pineapple into wedges and enjoy it!

I read in one of my food trivia books that you can cut the core into spears and use it in drinks as a type of stirrer.

My cover falls off as well. But, I will wait to see if that is a design issue.
As for the force of cutting that pine apple, it may just be a replacement for the "I must, I must, I must increase my bust" exercise. Val, who by no means needs to do that, was laughing when she mentioned that last night after I let her borrow it. She's 5'6" and she said that's exactly how it felt when she used it!! Way to funny! Cross sell it as exercise equipment for the upper arms and bust!
Oh yeah, I do not know what they call it but there is a Spanish condiment that requires the soaking of pineapple cores and rinds in a solution of some sort. I want to say Dinagrea but I am so not sure. Daisy Martinez uses it on her TV show - Daisy Cooks - which by the way if you read the credits uses Pampered Chef Products in her Kitchen.

Chefstover2 said:
If I hadn't been reading this thread from the beginning, I'da thought something different :D. ......

smutbrain!

smsmileys5.gif

VINAGRE

See that attached!!

Attachments

• Vinagre.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 449
sounds delish John - what are you going to serve it with?

I am actually making this for a party I have on Saturday. 2 Vegans are in attendance and I wanted to do something different for them. I can promote the new products by using the Wedger. I am going to do something I saw Daisy do on one of her shows. She took coleslaw mix finely chopped it with some radish. Then tossed it with the Vinagre. You serve it rolled into Butter lettuce leaf boats. I thought I would make Cucumber bowls instead. Peel a cucumber and slice it into 1" rounds. Use the Core & More and dig out some of the seeds leaving a bottom in the bowl. Then fill it with the veggie and vinagre mixture. Spicy and Cool all in one shot with a Latin twist! Just plain coleslaw made with it would be dynamite. Oh yeah, the cores! Daisy said she adds more pineapple flavor by cutting up the core into 1/2" pieces and putting it in with the rinds to cook or she will finely chop it and add it to the veggies that stay in the pineapple flavored vinegar mixture. I would also serve this with fish, seafood or chicken. I had it once many years ago when a friend made some for me. And no, I would not use the Habaneros! To hot for me! Yum!!

We used this at our meeting last night. At first we thought it looked like a lot of waist - the 4 skin pieces. But then I thought, why not use those to serve the "fresh pineapple salsa"? You could arrange the salsa on the 4 leftover "boats" and lay those on the large bamboo platter and scatter the chips all around them. I bet it would look really pretty. I need to get one and try this, or borrow my sister's.

BTW she is about 5'7" and was able to make it work on the table, the counter was too high. She said you can't just push with your arms, you kind of have to get your upper body over it and lean into it. I'm only 5'4", I'll have to try it soon.

When I have a thick batter to stir with my whisk, in our Batter Bowl, I set one of our silicone potholders in my sink, and I can whip at a comfortable level. I plan to do the
same with the pineapple wedger. Use the silicone potholders to keep the pineapple from slipping, in the sink, and you will be pressing down without the strain on your arms and wrists. I just placed my order tonight. I agree that our forged santuko has been so easy to use on pineapple that it is like cutting butter. I hope the pineapple wedger does it as easily. P.S. to those of you with pineapple prices below $3, you are very fortunate, enjoy them all you can. We range from $3.99 to $4.99 each.

The sink is a good idea!

Chefstover2 said:
If I hadn't been reading this thread from the beginning, I'da thought something different :D. That being said, I'm 5'6" and work in the school cafeteria. Yesterday we had fresh pineapple and I cored, sliced and diced 31 pineapples in about 45 minutes with the wedger...normally it would have taken well over an hour. This wedger rocked my world!!! (shhhh, I know it should not have been used commercially, but I had to try it and all those pineapples were scaring me!)
QUOTE]

Wow! :) I can't believe your cafeteria serves fresh pineapple. If is is not pre-packages and yellow our cafeteria does not serve it! :yuck: (the school cafeteria is not like it use to be.....where are those great home-cooked meals???)

Has anyone tried to cut up a cantaloupe with it? I have a friend whom I carpool with who said she seen one on TV, in a Catalog or somthing that will do both a cantaloupe and a pineapple. This would be really great selling around here. I personally never liked pineapple (school's yellow mushy, bitter can stuff) but last year this same friend got me to try fresh pineapple and I love it. But I have always loved cantaloupe and so does my DD I just hate to cut it up. But come summer I do seven or eight a week, does not seem to stay in my icebox.

Pam Barrett said:
Has anyone tried to cut up a cantaloupe with it? I have a friend whom I carpool with who said she seen one on TV, in a Catalog or somthing that will do both a cantaloupe and a pineapple. This would be really great selling around here. I personally never liked pineapple (school's yellow mushy, bitter can stuff) but last year this same friend got me to try fresh pineapple and I love it. But I have always loved cantaloupe and so does my DD I just hate to cut it up. But come summer I do seven or eight a week, does not seem to stay in my icebox.

I am interested in that too but I don't think ours will work because of the peeler part of it. I think most of the fruit would be left on the peel.

CAUTION! If you use the tip of popping the pineapple off with the cover be sure to place the tabs of the cover centered under the handle. The first time I used it I didn't and cut right through the cover.

Also great to use on a whole cantelope. Perfect slices :)

<h2>1. Can the pineapple wedger be difficult to use for shorter individuals?</h2><p>Yes, the pineapple wedger may be more challenging for shorter individuals due to the need for leverage. However, cutting the pineapple in half and using the wedger on each half can make it easier.</p><h2>2. Is it necessary to cut the pineapple in half before using the wedger?</h2><p>Cutting the pineapple in half is not necessary but can make it easier for shorter individuals to use the wedger. It may also result in more even and consistent pineapple chunks.</p><h2>3. How does the end result of the pineapple wedger compare to cutting it by hand?</h2><p>The end result of using the pineapple wedger is typically more consistent and uniform pineapple chunks compared to cutting it by hand. It also saves time and effort.</p><h2>4. Are there any tips for using the pineapple wedger for shorter individuals?</h2><p>Aside from cutting the pineapple in half, shorter individuals may find it helpful to stand on a stool or use a sturdy surface for added leverage when using the wedger.</p><h2>5. Can the pineapple wedger be used for other fruits?</h2><p>While it is designed specifically for pineapples, the wedger can also be used for other fruits such as melons or peaches. However, the size and shape of the fruit may affect the ease of use.</p>

1. Can the pineapple wedger be difficult to use for shorter individuals?

Yes, the pineapple wedger may be more challenging for shorter individuals due to the need for leverage. However, cutting the pineapple in half and using the wedger on each half can make it easier.

2. Is it necessary to cut the pineapple in half before using the wedger?

Cutting the pineapple in half is not necessary but can make it easier for shorter individuals to use the wedger. It may also result in more even and consistent pineapple chunks.

3. How does the end result of the pineapple wedger compare to cutting it by hand?

The end result of using the pineapple wedger is typically more consistent and uniform pineapple chunks compared to cutting it by hand. It also saves time and effort.

4. Are there any tips for using the pineapple wedger for shorter individuals?

Aside from cutting the pineapple in half, shorter individuals may find it helpful to stand on a stool or use a sturdy surface for added leverage when using the wedger.

5. Can the pineapple wedger be used for other fruits?

While it is designed specifically for pineapples, the wedger can also be used for other fruits such as melons or peaches. However, the size and shape of the fruit may affect the ease of use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• magentablue
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
doughmama
  • chefheidi2003
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • heat123