• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! I Can't Cut My Pineapple!

In summary, Karen tried the same method as the person who wrote the PP but it didn't work. She also tried to cut the pineapple in half but it didn't work. She tried the same method as the person who wrote the PP but it didn't work. She finally tried the method that the person who wrote the PP told her to try - cutting the pineapple in half.
magentablue
I bought my first pineapple last week. I cut off either end, put it on the lg grooved cutting board, and pressed as hard as I could, making only a slight indentation in the top. I rocked back and forth and pressed and pressed, but nothing. My husband was home, so he did it for me but said it was difficult. He also said he thought it was easier for him because he had more leverage since he's much taller than I am.

I am trying again, and now home alone. My pineapple is ripe, the right size, etc. My pineapple last week wasn't so ripe. I tried the same way, and nothing. I finally decided to try it moving the cutting board to the hard, flat, rather wide arms of my couch, because that's lower than any surface in my kitchen (the lowest surface in my kitchen is counter top height). I know, not the best place, but at least it gave me some leverage to get the blades in the fruit. I moved back to the counter because I thought it was safer... rocking... pushing...

I'm in pain right now. I'm young (32). I'm not THAT short, I'm 5'3"... what the hell am I doing wrong? I seriously don't think I can go to the gym today I just strained my muscles so bad. I have to wait 6 hours for my husband to come home from work to finish this off... if it doesn't go bad in the mean time :/ The wedger is blade-deep in the fruit now, and I'm not going to try to push it back out of the fruit.

I can honestly say, I hate this thing. Help!

I'm thinking of going back with a ladder and trying again. It doesn't sound safe, but it's the only thing I can think of. And now the sweet smell of pineapple is in the air, mocking me :(

a lot of people cut the pineapple in half..especially if they are shorter..I don't normally cut mine in half because I am semi tall..however..I did a few weeks ago..and I thought that it was easier.

OMG, you are a life-saver! Why is that not in the Use and Care guide?! Anyway, thank you, it was so much easier! I'm eating pineapple as I type!

I always cut mine in half because I am shorter (5'1") and never have any issues. Rocking back and forth is the key but you did that....I don't know. Maybe yours is defective? The blades should be VERY sharp - carefully touch yours to see if they are....maybe they put it together upside down? :D

All I can say is that I have never had trouble with mine! Yes, I have to rock it back and forth a bit but nothing more than my apple wedger....Is the pineapple room temp or was it in the fridge? I just leave mine on the counter until I cut it....Wish I could help more!Karen

I am also 5'3" and have a horrible time with mine. The current house we live in was custom built by a couple who were both over 6' tall so all of my counters are super high. I agree with the pp that cutting in half works pretty well. I feel your pain, been there literally!!

That was one of the first things I was told by a friend of mine that bought it - I'm tall 5'9" and have no trouble with it - she's not 5'2-3" and told me that if you aren't tall enough you don't have the leverage to use it. I tell everyone that at my shows. This is a "height restrictive" product - if you are on the shorter side you are going to need to cut your pineapple in half.

magentablue said:
OMG, you are a life-saver! Why is that not in the Use and Care guide?! Anyway, thank you, it was so much easier! I'm eating pineapple as I type!

Oh good..I am glad that that is all it took to work for you.

Cutting it in half did the trick! It was a room temp pineapple. Yay! Thanks again, all!Edited to add: I'm coming to you guys next time I have a problem with a product. You are so helpful!

Last edited:
I am very short, too. When I started using it, I would cut it in half also - or put the cutting board and pineapple in the sink (makes me "taller" so I can provide more leverage).

But, as you do it more often, it gets easier. I can now do the whole pinapple on the counter without cutting it in half!

I give out a tip guide - sure I got it from here and tell everyone to cut the pineapple in half. LOVE that product and the mango wedger too!

Attachments

• PC Pineapple Wedger Tips Sheet no name.doc
    483 KB · Views: 568
I ended up putting my pineapple on the floor in order to use the pineapple wedger. Seems odd, but that did work for me.

I am short as well (and I have one lowered counter in my kitchen where I work!) but I always cut in half AND start on the cut side. Much easier than trying to get through, rthen put the bottom on the wedger guard to help push the bottom through the wedger.

Use a smaller cutting board if need be and put down in the sink!

Cut the pineapple in half? Really? YIPPEE!!!!! Answer to prayer! I am vertically challenged.....WAHOO!! No more step stool for me! Pineapple-dancing! Got two sitting on my counter waiting to be delivered into my mouth and tummy!Doing this TNITE! Yeah Baby...WooHoo.......love finding answers here!Smooches!!!!!

I'm 5'5" and I cut it in half, too. It's so much easier. Wish it had looked easy at my last show, but alas...a wobbly card table just doesn't help. :blushing:

Thanks for the tip sheet! I also cut it in half and use the rocking motion. Now, if only I could center it correctly! lol

I am 6"2" and I still cut it in half. I don't know why they didn't suggest it and put it on the use and care sheet. Tons of people have them and hate them, because they don't know this. I bring a pineapple to every party. There are always a couple of people there that have one and have nothing good to say about it, so I show them on one half and let the person that has one already, do the other half. I usually sell several and those that already have them know how to use it. Everybody's happy!

I'm glad I read this post. I never realized it was difficult for people nor that it was a height-relevant product. LOL I'm 5'7" so I guess that is why I never noticed. The only time I have any issues is if its not ripe enough. But since I am now quite good at picking ripe ones (if using it right away), its usually soft enough. I use it at every party in the summer as I do the Fresh Pineapple Salsa with Fajitas and I've sold a boat-load of them...funny no one ever said anything to me about them. Thanks for the tips!

I agreed you you Strainfan. I am 5'5' tall and by putting the pineapple on a smaller cutting board in the sink does works great! That way, the juice from the pineapple will flow in the sink gets better leverage. Be sure to rock back and forth when cutting through. Beware! The blade is so sharp that I ruined my plastic cover. How did I do that? Well, I did not line it right and sliced through it when cutting into smaller chunks.

I always cut the top and bottom off of my pineapple. And when I buy them I keep them on the counter for 3-4 days before I cut them...That way they are nicely ripe. I love my pineapple wedge

I'm 5'3½" and I've been demoing the wedger since it came out. I've never had a problem in my countertops which are average height, but have noticed that when I use the dining room table which is lower, it is easier.

I demo it because my MIL took one look at the catalog picture and declared that it creates too much waste. I have always taken the skin, cut it in half and used a knife to remove the fruit that could otherwise be wasted. It's quick and simple for me. I know, use the kernel cutter, I don't like it for that purpose, it leaves too much behind. I like a knife

straitfan said:
Use a smaller cutting board if need be and put down in the sink!

I would not do this if it is an under mount sink.

What is the best way to cut a pineapple?

The best way to cut a pineapple is to first remove the top and bottom of the fruit. Then, stand the pineapple upright and use a sharp knife to cut off the skin in a downward motion, following the curve of the fruit. Next, cut the pineapple into slices or cubes, depending on your preference.

How do I remove the core of a pineapple?

To remove the core of a pineapple, use a pineapple corer or a sharp knife to cut around the center of the fruit, leaving the core intact. You can then easily pull out the core or cut it into smaller pieces.

What if I don't have a pineapple corer?

If you don't have a pineapple corer, you can use a sharp knife to carefully slice off the skin and remove the core. Alternatively, you can cut the pineapple into quarters and then remove the core from each quarter.

How do I know if a pineapple is ripe?

A ripe pineapple should have a golden yellow color and a sweet aroma. You can also gently tug on one of the leaves in the center of the fruit – if it comes out easily, the pineapple is ripe.

Can I use canned pineapple instead of fresh?

Yes, you can use canned pineapple instead of fresh. However, be sure to drain the liquid from the can before using the pineapple. Canned pineapple may also be more acidic and less sweet than fresh, so adjust your recipe accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • leftymac
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • esavvymom