• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pics from Our SC Trip: Charleston, Folly Beach, and More!

In summary, the family went to Charleston and Folly Beach to get away from the cold. They had a great time taking pictures and playing in the sand. The new grandbaby was a big hit.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
No laughing at my fluffiness, or my thing for taking pictures of birds and flowers....here are some pics from Charleston, SC and Folly Beach, SC where we went to get away. I'll post a second post with pics of the new grandbaby...

SCtrip2008077.jpg

SCtrip2008055.jpg

SCtrip2008079.jpg

SCtrip2008113.jpg

Okay, didn't really want to be THAT large and in charge... oh well.

I gave that Sand Piper the little cracker he has in his mouth. I got in trouble for feeding the sea rats.

Oh fun! :)Nice to "see" you!I am going to get some pictures of the birds at our feeder someday soon! We have tons of various finches lately since the bears are staying east of us right now. Of course, I don't have a decent camera (on my wishlist...) ...will have to borrow the kid's soon!

great pictures!!

Sammie is giggling at the "bird". She loves it! ...and she wishes we had that house (as I'm making her clean up the living room, I doubt she REALLY wants it)!

I lived in SC for 6 years - and Folly Beach was one of my absolute favorite places to go!

Until Hurricane Hugo, which sorta wiped it out for a while - then we started going to Kiawah Beach instead.

I didn't know you were in Charleston...somehow I thought it was Myrtle Beach.

Isn't Charleston absolutely beautiful? Rainbow Row, and all of the quaint shops - and the Outdoor Market (which actually was never a slave market - even though everyone calls it that.). Charleston is my favorite place in SC!

pics of the step-kids and their babies.Okay here are a couple more. Sorry they are such large pictures. But as you can see, we are larger type people...
SCtrip2008158.jpg
This is Joshua (just came back from Iraq) and his wife Amanda and their son Noah.

SCtrip2008187.jpg
This is Stephanie with her new baby, Collin.

SCtrip2008150-1.jpg
And finally, this is Chubby Hubby with his new grandson.

janetupnorth said:
Oh fun! :)

Nice to "see" you!

I am going to get some pictures of the birds at our feeder someday soon! We have tons of various finches lately since the bears are staying east of us right now.

Of course, I don't have a decent camera (on my wishlist...) ...will have to borrow the kid's soon!
I might be able to help you with that. Let me talk to DH.

ChefBeckyD said:
I lived in SC for 6 years - and Folly Beach was one of my absolute favorite places to go!

Until Hurricane Hugo, which sorta wiped it out for a while - then we started going to Kiawah Beach instead.

I didn't know you were in Charleston...somehow I thought it was Myrtle Beach.

Isn't Charleston absolutely beautiful? Rainbow Row, and all of the quaint shops - and the Outdoor Market (which actually was never a slave market - even though everyone calls it that.). Charleston is my favorite place in SC!

DH lived in SC for 10 years, he told me it was a slave market- too funny! I know he said his ex father-in-law told him that, won't he be sad to know it isn't true?

Kitchen Diva said:
DH lived in SC for 10 years, he told me it was a slave market- too funny! I know he said his ex father-in-law told him that, won't he be sad to know it isn't true?

One time, I took a horse and buggy tour of Charleston....and our tour guide made a big deal about the legend that it was a Slave Market, and how that just wasn't true. There was a Slave Market (of course, because it IS Charleston.) but it was in a different location. There is actually a historical marker someplace in the Market that talks about it too.

I am a History nut - which is why I loved Charleston so much! I loved walking the cemeteries there and reading the stones from the 1700's....and doing the walking tours, and touring the plantations, and Old Charles Town....

At the market - it was so much fun to watch the Low Country women weave their baskets, and speak in Gullah to each other. Totally fascinating!

Okay, I figured out how to minimize the picsHere are just a few more....

SCtrip2008028-1.jpg
This is a picture of the pier right outside our hotel room just minutes before a tornado almost hit. It touched down in James Island just 5 miles north of us, and I then just picked itself up and disapeared!

SCtrip2008045-1.jpg
Here is another bird picture for Sammie (janet's dd) His name is Limpy. He had skinnier legs than all the other birds, so I fed him lots of sour cream & onion pringles!)

SCtrip2008139-1.jpg
Not sure if those flowers are honeysuckle, or jasmine, or what- but I could rub those all over me, they smell SOOOOO good! Those flowers were also out our hotel room patio the last time we visited Folly Beach.

Kitchen Diva said:
Here are just a few more....

SCtrip2008028-1.jpg
This is a picture of the pier right outside our hotel room just minutes before a tornado almost hit. It touched down in James Island just 5 miles north of us, and I then just picked itself up and disapeared!

SCtrip2008045-1.jpg
Here is another bird picture for Sammie (janet's dd) His name is Limpy. He had skinnier legs than all the other birds, so I fed him lots of sour cream & onion pringles!)

SCtrip2008139-1.jpg
Not sure if those flowers are honeysuckle, or jasmine, or what- but I could rub those all over me, they smell SOOOOO good! Those flowers were also out our hotel room patio the last time we visited Folly Beach.

The best things about SC are all of the different yummy flowers in the Springtime!

Oh Kacey...like Janet said...it is so good to "see" you!
Charleston is on my list......

It's the same way in Maryland, too! I have a very pretty pink flowering crabapple tree in my front yard. I took pics of today. I'll load them and share with you all tomorrow after my interview if I remember.

erinyourpclady said:
Oh Kacey...like Janet said...it is so good to "see" you!
Charleston is on my list......

Sadly that was the best picture of me out of 191 pictures! I can't believe that as cute as I am I'm just not photogenic. I have great hair, pretty green eyes, sparkling wit, exceptional smarts, and a fabulous personality. It should be a crime to not be photogenic.

(oops, I've fallen off the "Humble-Wagon" again!) LOL

ChefBeckyD said:
One time, I took a horse and buggy tour of Charleston....and our tour guide made a big deal about the legend that it was a Slave Market, and how that just wasn't true. There was a Slave Market (of course, because it IS Charleston.) but it was in a different location. There is actually a historical marker someplace in the Market that talks about it too.

I am a History nut - which is why I loved Charleston so much! I loved walking the cemeteries there and reading the stones from the 1700's....and doing the walking tours, and touring the plantations, and Old Charles Town....

At the market - it was so much fun to watch the Low Country women weave their baskets, and speak in Gullah to each other. Totally fascinating![/QUOTE]
DH bought me one of those baskets for dinner rolls. Thankfully she was able to take quite a bit off the price. I think she overheard me telling DH that with both of us being unemployed I couldn't justify spending that much on a basket to serve rolls and bread in. It was gorgeous, but pricey. The lady told me if ANYthing goes wrong with it, I mail it back to her and she fixes it for free for life! I really had fun at the market and wanted to buy more. I'm glad I didn't- especially after learning that my unemployment checks were stopping...

Kitchen Diva said:
Sadly that was the best picture of me out of 191 pictures! I can't believe that as cute as I am I'm just not photogenic. I have great hair, pretty green eyes, sparkling wit, exceptional smarts, and a fabulous personality. It should be a crime to not be photogenic.

(oops, I've fallen off the "Humble-Wagon" again!) LOL

Yeah I see all that! You ARE cute!

erinyourpclady said:
Yeah I see all that! You ARE cute!

Awww- round one goes to Erin! :) (ya hear that other directors and soon to be directors that are fightin' for me!?) LOL

I'm just playing. THanks for agreeing with me about my adorable-ness

I just called Sammie in for the new pics...she likes the bird but says the flower is "absolutely beautiful!".:)

janetupnorth said:
I just called Sammie in for the new pics...she likes the bird but says the flower is "absolutely beautiful!".

:)

I love taking pics of flowers. And those sand pipers were soo funny. There were also two pigeons there, and the male one would puff his body out and just nag the female one until she'd either share or drop the food she had. I was like get your own food you ghetto pigeon.

When DH went in to the ocean to cool off, I'd toss more crakers and treats to all the birds. Shhhh- don't tell him;)

Kitchen Diva said:
Awww- round one goes to Erin! :) (ya hear that other directors and soon to be directors that are fightin' for me!?) LOL

I'm just playing. THanks for agreeing with me about my adorable-ness

By the way....I am cute as well.....not for nothing....:blushing:

erinyourpclady said:
By the way....I am cute as well.....not for nothing....:blushing:

Oh, stop being modest. Yer a stone cold hottie!

Great pictures! We loved Charleston but we loved Savannah even more.

BethCooks4U said:
Great pictures! We loved Charleston but we loved Savannah even more.
I have never been to GA. I'll have to go some time. I had the best gumbo in Charleston for lunch. Oh my! I want the recipe!!!

pamperedlinda said:
Nice to see ya Kacey!

Why thank you, Miss Linda! :) I'm just so sorry you all had to see my double chins! :(

Kitchen Diva said:
Why thank you, Miss Linda! :) I'm just so sorry you all had to see my double chins! :(
Silly girl!

Kacey....you are so on a roll tonight! Me thinks the va ca worked wonders! LOL!!!!

Darn! I wanted to post something witty, but DH is ready to go brush his teeth and I need to go with him!

Kacey~
You are a cutie, and I am glad to have a face to go with all of your fun posts!

G'night all!

I had a joke about double chins, but given the recent tragedy on the other side of the world with the Chin people it is probably not appropriate...

sorry to spoil the humor y'all have going - but you are right - it is jasmine. Its called Confederate Jasmine and it grows like wildfire here - I planted two on either side of my porch steps 2 summers ago and it has gone up both columns an half-way across the porch since then....Im on the coast of NC. I love my windows being open - the whole house smells wonderful!

Great pictures - beautiful family! Glad you had a great time!

Cindycooks said:
sorry to spoil the humor y'all have going - but you are right - it is jasmine. Its called Confederate Jasmine and it grows like wildfire here - I planted two on either side of my porch steps 2 summers ago and it has gone up both columns an half-way across the porch since then....Im on the coast of NC. I love my windows being open - the whole house smells wonderful!

How are you spoling our humor? Thanks for telling me what flower those were. I thought it was cool how among all those tiny blossom was that HUGE flower- just sitting there like it didn't belong there!

Cindycooks said:

Can I come up and get a clipping Cindy? It sounds like something I would love!!

Erin - I tried to root it for a friend at work and it would not work - and with the yellow jasmine (Carolina Jasmine) you get runners but not with the confederate. I wish it would work - I'd save you a piece! I got it at Lowes tho and it was cheap! I think maybe $7 per plant. Its crazy how fast it has grown. Blooms in May but stays green all year which is a big plus.

Cindycooks said:
Erin - I tried to root it for a friend at work and it would not work - and with the yellow jasmine (Carolina Jasmine) you get runners but not with the confederate. I wish it would work - I'd save you a piece! I got it at Lowes tho and it was cheap! I think maybe $7 per plant. Its crazy how fast it has grown. Blooms in May but stays green all year which is a big plus.

Ok...I will go look for some tonight. We have to go to the roller rink for DD's Brownie troop. I'll drop her and then run over to Lowes...........
Thanks Cindy!

You ARE cute!! :D What double chins!?! Glad I could finally "see" you! And if I remember correctly...the little white flowers are Confederate jasmine...not sure what the big one is though. I used to have the jasmine planted by my front patio...just adore the smell. The yellow one (Carolina) doesn't smell as good but is kinda pretty, too.

BTW, thanks for posting the beach pics...I REALLY miss seeing the beach. They don't have beaches here in Germany...though they think they do. It's actually the river bank...sorry a beach it isn't. :D Couple of more months & I'll be home to visit & see the beaches again. Being from FL & being "land-locked" bites let me tell ya. LOL

***Okay, I'm slow...just saw someone already answered the jasmine question. :( BUT here's some interesting info about it:

It should be noted that Confederate jasmine is not a "true" jasmine - these are members of the genus Jasminum (see downy jasmine (J. multiflorum ), pink jasmine (J. polyanthum ) and hardy jasmine (J. nudiflorum). The common name of Trachelospermum jasminoides honors the wonderful jasmine-like perfume produced by this vine. There is a variegated selection 'Variegatum' that has cream-splashed leaves and is a less vigorous grower than the species.

Despite the common name, Confederate jasmine is not native to the American south - it comes from China but has been a popular garden plant in Europe and the U.S. for centuries. Info from Floridata: Trachelospermum jasminoides

Last edited:
Dont know how I missed this thread yesterday --- probably because I wasnt on very much!

Love the pics! And great to "meet" you Kacey!! I love the scenic pics and the Victorian House (did you stay there??). I keep telling DH I want a Victorian House and since we just bought this home last year, he says "I am never satisfied!" LOL! OH well, I can dream right?

The kiddies are cute too!

kathijenkins said:
You ARE cute!! :D What double chins!?! Glad I could finally "see" you! And if I remember correctly...the little white flowers are Confederate jasmine...not sure what the big one is though. I used to have the jasmine planted by my front patio...just adore the smell. The yellow one (Carolina) doesn't smell as good but is kinda pretty, too.

BTW, thanks for posting the beach pics...I REALLY miss seeing the beach. They don't have beaches here in Germany...though they think they do. It's actually the river bank...sorry a beach it isn't. :D Couple of more months & I'll be home to visit & see the beaches again. Being from FL & being "land-locked" bites let me tell ya. LOL

***Okay, I'm slow...just saw someone already answered the jasmine question. :( BUT here's some interesting info about it:

It should be noted that Confederate jasmine is not a "true" jasmine - these are members of the genus Jasminum (see downy jasmine (J. multiflorum ), pink jasmine (J. polyanthum ) and hardy jasmine (J. nudiflorum). The common name of Trachelospermum jasminoides honors the wonderful jasmine-like perfume produced by this vine. There is a variegated selection 'Variegatum' that has cream-splashed leaves and is a less vigorous grower than the species.

Despite the common name, Confederate jasmine is not native to the American south - it comes from China but has been a popular garden plant in Europe and the U.S. for centuries. Info from Floridata: Trachelospermum jasminoides

Wow- thanks for the botony lesson! Very interesting stuff!

Yes, a river bank is NOT a beach. We have a TON of lakes here in MN- so we do have beaches, but I truly enjoy the ocean a lot more!

If you look close enough my first chin clends right in with the second one. There used to be a visible line separating the two, but a few boxes of fudgesicles took care of that! :)

vwpamperedchef said:
Dont know how I missed this thread yesterday --- probably because I wasnt on very much!

Love the pics! And great to "meet" you Kacey!! I love the scenic pics and the Victorian House (did you stay there??). I keep telling DH I want a Victorian House and since we just bought this home last year, he says "I am never satisfied!" LOL! OH well, I can dream right?

The kiddies are cute too!

I have NO clue how you could have missed this nail biting thread! :) We didn't stay at that house, I just really liked it and the cool tree in front of it! And the private gardens these people had were amazing~!

Kitchen Diva said:
Wow- thanks for the botony lesson! Very interesting stuff!

Yes, a river bank is NOT a beach. We have a TON of lakes here in MN- so we do have beaches, but I truly enjoy the ocean a lot more!

If you look close enough my first chin clends right in with the second one. There used to be a visible line separating the two, but a few boxes of fudgesicles took care of that! :)

OMG!! ROFLMAO!!:D So, that's the cure for that pesky line!;) I'll have to try that. hahaha Anyway...you look good, very cute & it's nice to have a face to put with the name. :)

kathijenkins said:
OMG!! ROFLMAO!!:D So, that's the cure for that pesky line!;) I'll have to try that. hahaha Anyway...you look good, very cute & it's nice to have a face to put with the name. :)

Yeah, I like looking at people's pictures, too! It makes me feel like less of a geek when I tell people about my cyber friends and can mention that I actually know what most of them look like. :)

Fudgesicles will blur the line on any segmented fatty part of your body- except your tummy... I still look like the Michellin Man when I sit down. Darn cold, creamy fudgey goodness on a stick!

Kitchen Diva said:
Yeah, I like looking at people's pictures, too! It makes me feel like less of a geek when I tell people about my cyber friends and can mention that I actually know what most of them look like. :)

Fudgesicles will blur the line on any segmented fatty part of your body- except your tummy... I still look like the Michellin Man when I sit down. Darn cold, creamy fudgey goodness on a stick!

There, I changed my avatar. Now you can "see" me, too. It's a little scary but one of my fav. pics. :D

kathijenkins said:
There, I changed my avatar. Now you can "see" me, too. It's a little scary but one of my fav. pics. :D

You look naked! :) LOL You have pretty hair...oh and you have those "come hither" eyes! :) Thanks for sharing your picture. For a while I was worried that you were just a wet and cranky kitty! :) LOL

kacey, i have to say you have BEE - YOU - TEE - FULL hair!!!!!

thanks for sharing the pics!

Kitchen Diva said:
You look naked! :) LOL You have pretty hair...oh and you have those "come hither" eyes! :) Thanks for sharing your picture. For a while I was worried that you were just a wet and cranky kitty! :) LOL

LOL...no, I am clothed. One of the few days recently that I could wear a tank top & shorts instead of multiple layers.;) Forgot that the mountain of hair would cover the straps. LOL

And I only look like a wet & cranky kitty on Mondays!:D

1. Where did you go on your trip to South Carolina?

I went to Charleston and Folly Beach.

2. Did you take a lot of pictures during your trip?

Yes, I love taking pictures of birds and flowers in particular.

3. Can we see some of the pictures from your trip?

Yes, I have posted some of my favorite pictures from Charleston and Folly Beach in this post.

4. Why did you get in trouble for feeding the birds at the beach?

Feeding birds at the beach can attract more birds and create a nuisance for other beach-goers, so it is generally discouraged.

5. Will you be posting pictures of your new grandbaby as well?

Yes, I will be posting a separate post with pictures of my new grandbaby. Stay tuned!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pchefkristin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pchefkristin
  • rocki
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
sara2421
Back