• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Paying Children for Chores: Tax Guidelines and Tips for Parents

In summary, The conversation discusses the idea of paying children for small PC tasks and how to keep track of them as employees for tax purposes. It is suggested to pay them by check and to pay them according to their ability and the task. It is also mentioned that the children do not have to pay taxes on their earnings unless they make a certain amount during the year. The conversation also touches on the idea of teaching children about savings and charity by having them put a portion of their earnings into a savings account and donating to charity. It is noted that starting these practices early can instill good habits in children. Finally, there is interest in finding a program or spreadsheet that can show children when they will reach a certain savings goal.
chefinbiz
I've begun to pay my kids (10yo, 9yo and 8yo) to do small PC taks(stamping, stickering etc)..How do I keep track of them as "employees" to claim this for taxes. I read somewhere, I was allowed to do this.....Thanks!

My accountant told me to pay them by check and they have to be paid according to their ability and the task...you can't pay an 8 year old $1000.00 to stamp catalogs today. And you can't pay him for something he reasonably can't do...computer tech support. You will have your check as a record and they don't have to pay any taxes unless they make a certain amount during the year...can't remember what that amount is. I am thinking $2400.00 per child, but not sure. So, you get a deduction and they get tax free earnings.

Thanks for the info. I am paying them "child slave" wages- $1 per task- rotating the tasks between children so that some times the one who had the easier task for $1 now has a little bit harder task, and vice versa. I am thinking instead of paying them as I go, I will keep track of their tasks and then write them a check for a larger amount. They like having the $1 right away though, so I'll see how they feel. So far it has been a way to show them we can all work to make PC Our Family Business.

You could pay them in monopoly/fake money at the time they do the task and then once a month have them bring that to you for a real check.

My mom has begun working with my nephews on creating a "$1 million" fund - they have agreed to put 10% of all money they earn or get as gifts into the savings account she set up. She also puts in $5 a month in the accounts for them as long as they put their 10% in. I think she found a program or has a spreadsheet that shows the kids when they'll hit the $1 million mark. They had mixed feelings about this when she started but a year or two into it and they are starting to understand savings and be excited about the idea. I think my youngest nephew involved in this was about 10 when she started this.

If you are also into teaching your kids about charity this is a great opportunity. Get them to put 10% aside for charity, match it monthly, and let them decide who gets the money each month or every 3 months.

The earlier one starts these with kids the more likely they are to make it a lifetime habit as it will seem normal to them.

What a great concept. I could use that discipline myself. I gave up trying to save a long time ago. Everytime I would get a sizable amount in there something would happen and take it all away. But, I guess that is what it is for. It would be great to start your baby off that way. By the time they went to college they would have money for the things they needed.

tlennhoff said:
You could pay them in monopoly/fake money at the time they do the task and then once a month have them bring that to you for a real check.

My mom has begun working with my nephews on creating a "$1 million" fund - they have agreed to put 10% of all money they earn or get as gifts into the savings account she set up. She also puts in $5 a month in the accounts for them as long as they put their 10% in. I think she found a program or has a spreadsheet that shows the kids when they'll hit the $1 million mark. They had mixed feelings about this when she started but a year or two into it and they are starting to understand savings and be excited about the idea. I think my youngest nephew involved in this was about 10 when she started this.

If you are also into teaching your kids about charity this is a great opportunity. Get them to put 10% aside for charity, match it monthly, and let them decide who gets the money each month or every 3 months.

The earlier one starts these with kids the more likely they are to make it a lifetime habit as it will seem normal to them.
Could you please try to find that and post it? I think it's a fantastic idea!

BethCooks4U said:
I agree! My 12 yr. DSS needs some help in the savings department. (Well, we as parents need to help him!! LOL) and I would love to start something like that for my 2 yr. DS, too!

BethCooks4U said:

I've emailed my mom.

In the meantime I found a calculator online that will do reports so you can change the info each month and see what has changed. It can be found at LFG - Calculators it is the Savings Goal Calculator. You enter the savings goal and years you have to invest monthly and how long you have to invest and it updates the informaiton - then run the report to get a good view of how much you'll have each year. I set it for $1,000,000 with 20 years to save and only putting in $20 a month. With the calculator they can play/experiment with different monthly amounts. The report also shows what the ending values are for what you are putting in and how much you need to put in monthly to reach the goal. :p

Once you have some money in the account and a better idea of what you can put in monthly this starts to really make a difference.

I might start with something smaller for younger kids - like $1,000, then increase it every 2-5 years ($10,000, $100,000, and finally the million dollar plan). When I used the calculator for the $10k based on no current savings, $20 a month contributions, and a 4.5% interest based on ingdirect.com it is almost doable in 20 years. When I redo it for $1,000 goal putting in $10 a month it says I can reach that goal in just 7 years. Playing with the years to save also shows how interest increases savings dramatically. Changing things from 20 to 30 years makes a major change (cut time dramatically for the $1,000,000 goal)

Now picture the grandparents putting some money in their for birthdays (even just $10-20 makes a difference) and holidays and they can really see how it grows. Maybe to get the program started parents and grandparents could each contribute $25-50.

When our kids were little, we had 3 banks for each one. When they received money they put 10% plus an offering into their "church" bank, a minimum of 10% into their "savings" banks & the rest into their "spending" bank. Even when she was really little my daughter would put half of what she had after tithe & offering into savings. My son just did the minimum into savings. My husband told my daughter that when she got older she would have enough to buy a car & her brother would have enough to buy the gas!!

KellyTheChef said:
I agree! My 12 yr. DSS needs some help in the savings department. (Well, we as parents need to help him!! LOL) and I would love to start something like that for my 2 yr. DS, too!

It is such a great idea to start this with really young kids. You put in a small amount monthly/yearly and then as they get older you show them how their money is growing and from day one you always put 10% of their money gifts into the account. Print off the reports after each birthday/holiday so they can see how little amounts made major changes in the savings goals.

1. How much should I pay my children for helping in the kitchen?

The amount you pay your children for helping in the kitchen is ultimately up to your discretion. Some parents choose to pay their children an hourly rate, while others prefer to pay per task or chore. It is important to consider the age and skill level of your children when determining the appropriate amount to pay.

2. At what age should I start paying my children to help in the kitchen?

There is no set age at which you should start paying your children to help in the kitchen. However, it is important to make sure they are old enough to handle the tasks safely and understand the value of money. Many parents start around age 8 or 9, but it ultimately depends on your child's maturity and ability.

3. Can I deduct the money I pay my children for helping from their allowance?

Yes, you can deduct the money you pay your children for helping in the kitchen from their allowance. This can be a great way to teach them about budgeting and the importance of earning money through hard work. Just be sure to communicate this with your children beforehand to avoid any confusion or misunderstandings.

4. What tasks or chores should I pay my children for in the kitchen?

The tasks or chores you choose to pay your children for in the kitchen will depend on their age and ability. Some common tasks include setting the table, washing dishes, and helping with meal prep. You can also consider creating a list of tasks and corresponding payment amounts to make it easier for them to choose and track their responsibilities.

5. Should I pay my children more for more difficult tasks in the kitchen?

This is ultimately up to your discretion. Some parents choose to pay their children more for more difficult tasks in the kitchen, while others prefer to keep a flat rate for all tasks. It can be a good idea to discuss this with your children and come up with a fair and consistent payment system together.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• fruit76loop
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
koima
  • ChefMoore
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
PamperedTammy
Replies