• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pampered Chef Warranty Expired: Upset Host's Essential Set Broken After 1 Year

Read more about a customer who had a broken product that was past the 1 year warranty period and was upset about it. The customer had spent a lot of money with Pampered Chef and was disappointed that they wouldn't replace the product. The consultant suggested trying to contact someone higher up at HO, but also acknowledged that HO is strict about their return policy. The consultant also shared their own experience with a similar situation and gave the customer the customer service number to try and resolve the issue.
mminikus
I had a Past Host call that did a show in November 2005. For her Half off item she got the SA Essential set. She said that she put it away in her cupboard when the order came in and forgot all about it. She remembered it this Christmas so got it out. She said the Large Square platter was broken. Well, that means she had it about 6 weeks past the 1 year warranty that PC offers on it. I called and talked to them and explained that it had never even been taken out of the box, but they said they can't replace since the 1 year is gone. I was kind of thinking since it wasn't much past the 1 year and never been out of the box, they would replace it. They made sure to let me know that is why we tell everyone to check the product when it arrives. I told her that, but she obviously didn't check it. Well, this past host is so mad. She said that she has spent hundreds of dollars over the years with Pampered Chef, and has had several shows with PC!! She said that she will never order again, or host another show. Then she asked how she could contact PC. I feel really bad about this. Anyways, Thanks for listening to my problem.

That sux...who did you speak to at HO? Could you try calling back and ask to speak to someone higher up and explaine the whole situation? But from what I hear HO is pretty strict on the return policy. They have no way of knowing if she did use it or not, or if she just dropped it and it broke. I think that HO looks at it as if we bend the rules this one time then we will have to for everyone.

Oh No!! I can't believe that she didn't open it to look at it!!! That seems kind of strange to me:rolleyes:

Anyways if she has been ordering from PC and has spent so much money with PC then she should know what great products we have and so on. I would give her the number to call HO and tell her that your sorry that you didn't know about the broken product earlier cause you would of had it replaced for her with NO problem. Just think if she purchased something from say Walmart and a year goes by..........will she get a refund or new product??

Good luck hope she calms down.

I had a customer call me about 45 days after she got a product. It was for her mom, but neither decided to open it until then. It was broken. I told her I could contact HO about it to get a reference number for her to mail it back. She got REALLY mad & said the same thing--that she's spent so much money with them, etc. Since it was something small (& I was new) I told her I'd mail it back. Then she got all--well, I don't want you to do that. But I told her that if that what was making her so mad, I'd mail it myself. But her was still under warranty--never would have bought her a new one! Just paid the couple dollars of shipping it back. Of course, I've never heard from her again, so I guess it didn't matter had I lost her as a customer! Personally, I would feel so stupid for not opening it earlier (especially after a year--come on...) that I wouldn't expect to have anyone replace it for free. Some people.

I think that there are things that people buy to use for the holidays next year, etc...or for gifts, and with that said, they may not open it until next november...or if it is a gift, they don't want to open it, and then the receiver may not either.... I can understand how that could happen!

I did give her the customer service number because she wanted to try and call them. I told her to keep me posted on what happens.

That's horrible
mminikus said:
I had a Past Host call that did a show in November 2005. For her Half off item she got the SA Essential set. She said that she put it away in her cupboard when the order came in and forgot all about it. She remembered it this Christmas so got it out. She said the Large Square platter was broken. Well, that means she had it about 6 weeks past the 1 year warranty that PC offers on it. I called and talked to them and explained that it had never even been taken out of the box, but they said they can't replace since the 1 year is gone. I was kind of thinking since it wasn't much past the 1 year and never been out of the box, they would replace it. They made sure to let me know that is why we tell everyone to check the product when it arrives. I told her that, but she obviously didn't check it. Well, this past host is so mad. She said that she has spent hundreds of dollars over the years with Pampered Chef, and has had several shows with PC!! She said that she will never order again, or host another show. Then she asked how she could contact PC. I feel really bad about this. Anyways, Thanks for listening to my problem.

It's a shame this lady is so unreasonable. I mean after a whole year she should have checked the package. That is so ridiiculous that she is threatening to never purchase another product or host a show. I really think that she is either lying and maybe broke it herself and now wants it replaced or she was really irresponsible in placing the box in a place where she forgot about it and now is upset and blaming everyone but herself.
PC is usually very fair and helpful with their customer service but the warranty is up and there is nothing they can do. If everyone called to complain after their warranty expired, it wouldn't be fair to expect them to give things away for FREE.
I think you should explain to her that you are sorry that this happened but after a whole year has gone by there is nothing you can do since the warranty is expired. Tell her that if she would have checked it sooner none of this would have happened. Tell her that you really appreciate her business and the fact that she has spent lots of money on products from you over the years but since the warranty is expired, they cannot replace it.
Personally I would tell her that I would be more than happy to give her a discount on that product after adding her order to your next show. Then you could hope for a big show and give her the 30% host discount by adding this to the host's order. Take 40% off and eat some of the cost. Or use a half price item one of your hosts doesn't use.

Debbie

I promise you, Crate & Barrel or Bed Bath & Beyond, would NOT accept broken merchandise after 90 days, let alone a year-plus! Straight out of the box or not, there is an assumption of personal responsibility.

That said, if it was a friend or good client and it turns out she won't get a replacement, I would at least offer to sell her the next one net of commission, to avoid appearances of being commission-hungry.

OMGoodness I did not realize she had not checked the box!! I do not see how she could expect PC to give her a new one or do anything. There is not telling waht got thrown on top of it still in the box in a year.

If she has boguht from PC so much then she should understand and know how the warranty and returns work.

I hate for you to loose her as a host but I do not think you should replace it for her either.

You could always order her one during Kit Enhancement in April and tell her she can have it for that discount and no shipping if you are ordering anyway. If you do not want to add it to another show.

Last edited:
That's why the company recommends that we do "out of the box" calls.

I did call her about 3 weeks after her show date and asked if all the product looked good. She said, "Yep, everything is great." I guess I can assume she never checked her stuff. My husband still thinks she broke it during the Holidays and is just trying to get it replaced. Who knows, but I think we are bound to run in to customers like this now and then. I would have to say the blessing is, that you get more that are awesome than the ones like this!!

Michelle,
where do you live? I grew up in Iowa

I live in Cedar Falls. Home of the University of Northern Iowa Panthers!! Go Panthers!! What area were you from?

Like someone else said: No other store would replace something a year later - out of the box or not!

For example: I tried to exchange a DVD (UNOPENED) at Best Buy because we got 2 of the same as gifts and they absolutely refused because it was purchased more than 30 days before (it was a Christmas gift and the giver obviously shopped early). I would understand if it was opened but come on!

Buy a stone at William Sonoma, use it for 2 1/2 years, hear it pop in the oven. Then try to get them to replace it for free (even with a receipt). They would laugh in your face!

Some people are always looking for the deal. A dish that is breakable might break. She needs to get over it. lol

Update!!Wow, the host just called me and said after contacting customer service her self they are going to replace it for her. Now, I feel like I look bad, because I tried and they told me absolutely not. I feel like the host is going to think I didn't do my job properly.:(

WOW, I'm impressed that they are. Tell her that you are too. That's why PC is the best.

Don't feel too bad Michelle, you can only do so much and a lot more then other [stores] would.

I think this is something to keep in mind: you're not going to get the same results as your customer. If something is past its warranty, kindly explain to the host that PC will be more willing to take care of her needs directly then they will if you try. If they don't like it you now have an experience to fall back on.

I am so glad that they are going to replace it, but as you say, it makes it look to the customer as if you didn't try.
This week I have started sending out my receipts to my hosts with a little pink sheet of paper stapled to EVERY receipt. Even the host's receipt. I will post it sometime this weekend, but basically, it thanks the customer for their purchase. Then I ask them to inspect their product to make sure that it is not broken or that there are no missing pieces or parts. If they do find a problem I ask them to call me immediately because PC will pay to have the item shipped back for replacement. I then state that 30 days after the party, the customer will be responsible for shipping to return any broken products.
I wish all of this was different, but that is the way PC has it set up. As I have stated in previous posts...some people (thank God not many!!):eek: could have the world handed to them on a silver platter...and they would get ticked because it should have been a gold platter!!!
Ann

I wonder if she told them that the platter was a gift and she wasn't sure when it was purchased. I actually had this happen with a guy I work with. His professional cookware was purchased as a wedding gift so he didn't have a receipt or anything. Well, I helped him with the return and when I explained that it was a gift, they didn't need any other information. They gave a reference number and he mailed it back and they sent him a new set. Since we still sell the large platter, if she didn't mention the essentials set, it could be feasible that it was given as a gift within the last year. Just a thought.

Get This One!Last November (2005) I had a lady who ordered the pocket therm. well 1st off she left it in the roast in the oven! then wants to return it because "it doesn't work" ! so whatever , I do an adjustment (after 30 days) get all the info to her, well she never sends the thing back to PC. okay :confused:
so last night was this same host's show....well guess what is sitting there on the counter!!?? yup the therm. ! the lady wants to return it! the same one!
I said, "i did a adjustment on that and sent all the paperwork to her, (the actual owner wasn't there) Well thats too bad because now her warranty has run up" I was to say the least P.O'd :mad:
she acually expected ME to send it back this time! sorry lady no can do. I left it there too.

My thank you and return slipsHere is the thank you and my return "blerp" slip that I am attaching to EVERY slip sent out. Hopefully the hosts will put this slip in as well as the slip that comes in the boxes. (which I do like, but not for this purpose!!)
Hope it helps!;)
Ann

Attachments

• Thank you for your order-template.doc
    23 KB · Views: 561
mminikus said:
Wow, the host just called me and said after contacting customer service her self they are going to replace it for her. Now, I feel like I look bad, because I tried and they told me absolutely not. I feel like the host is going to think I didn't do my job properly.:(
next time you talk to her about it (I would call after the shipment is delivered to check on it) just say to her something like "I am so glad you were able to get ahold of someone that could change the policy for you" blah blah blah..something to let her know that there was NO way for you to do it because we cannot change policy ourselves...we just have to follow it.

jessica_momof6 said:
next time you talk to her about it (I would call after the shipment is delivered to check on it) just say to her something like "I am so glad you were able to get ahold of someone that could change the policy for you" blah blah blah..something to let her know that there was NO way for you to do it because we cannot change policy ourselves...we just have to follow it.
We must think alike. I called her last week and said something really similar to her. She was actually really nice to me, and did Thank me for trying. She said it took her several phone calls to get it replaced, so I think she realized it was not policy and that PC went out of there way to replace it.

1. What does the Pampered Chef warranty cover?

The Pampered Chef warranty covers manufacturing defects and any issues with the quality or performance of our products. Our warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or accidental damage.

2. How long does the Pampered Chef warranty last?

The Pampered Chef warranty lasts for one year from the date of purchase. This means that any issues with your product must be reported within one year of purchase in order to be covered by the warranty.

3. Can I still get a replacement or refund if my warranty has expired?

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer replacements or refunds for products that are outside of the one year warranty period. However, we are always happy to assist with finding a suitable replacement or alternative solution.

4. What should I do if my host's Essential Set breaks after the warranty has expired?

If your host's Essential Set breaks after the warranty has expired, please contact our customer service team for assistance. We may be able to offer a discounted replacement or suggest a repair option.

5. Is there any way to extend the Pampered Chef warranty?

At this time, we do not offer any extended warranties for our products. However, we do stand behind the quality of our products and are always happy to assist with finding a solution if any issues arise after the warranty has expired.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• emiscookin
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
emiscookin
  • emiscookin
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • straitfan