• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ot Bread Machines - What Do You Like?

it is too big and doesn't do as well--grind it up if needed, or just table salt]3 tablespoons buttery popcorn oil (or olive oil or any flavored oil...avacado oil was awesome!)1/4 cup sugar1 cup water1/3 cup milk
scottcooks
Gold Member
I've killed our trusty bread machine - have made 1-2 loaves a week with it for the past year, once we realized it was far cheaper than the grocery store, and usually cheaper than the bread outlet store. A week before Christmas I made a loaf before going to bed and we woke up to smoky kitchen and oily odd mess coming from the machine. Still not sure where the oil came from. My wife says maybe I broke the motor somehow. It started up fine after I got it all cleaned up and we went off to church, we came home to another smoky mess and I've left it outside since.It was a DAK Turbo V, and they are not sold anymore - I might find another online, but not a new one.What kind of bread machine do you have and like? I'd anticipate using it 1-2 times a week. I'm using the dough hook on our Kitchen Aid stand mixer for now.

Something that has a window to look at the dough, and is easy to clean.

im on my 3rd
love the one where the bread baked like a normal loaf
i think my current is a cuisinart

I had one I bought from QVC but can't remember the brand. I liked that I could specify the loaf size. It also had a delay setting, a window and a compartment for mix-ins (so they could be dropped in at a later point).

There is a bread machine in my basement collecting dust ... bro never claimed it after they moved. Thinking of dragging it upstairs but it just seems like so much work ... and roomie would whine that duh, it's not pre-sliced! If i had one of those bread slicers like we had at the deli, though ....

maybe you need a new roomie. :) Give me a hot buttered loaf of bread anyday who needs to slice it tear it off like a communion loafI make homemade pigs in a blanket with mine we use the smokies about 4" long or make "hogs" with the bratwurst size smoked sausage. (depending on if I'm feeding my boys or my daughter and her friends.)

Sorry to hijack Scott...I have NO idea what brand to recommend. I have one collecting dust that I'd really like to use but it didn't come with recipes and I only have one that's just so so. I've tried a few from online and didn't care for them either.

Anyone care to help out Scott AND share a recipe or two with me? Nothing fancy, just really great bread is what I"m looking for!

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.....

I have 3 bread machines. I bought one for 4.97 at a goodwill, I was given the other 2. It cooks the crust too hard so I bake it in the oven. I make dough in it and will until it dies. I make homemade pizza. Nothing compares to it. I made bread and dough the old fashioned way until I was 18. Now I use the bread machine all the time and I don't miss sticky hands and all the kneading. There are so many other things to do with your time, like making chocolate covered pretzels for your teen daughters New Year's Eve sleep over.

Here's my tried and true recipe for bread machine bread.2 1/2 teaspoons fast acting dry yeast
3 3/4 cups BREAD flour ( or 3 cups Bread flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour) [regular all-purpose flour gives more of a wonder bread fluffy nothing texture. The bread flour gives some substance to the bread. I think my wife said it had more gluten]
1/2 teaspoon salt (or about 12-14 turns of our salt mill) [don't use kosher salt it is too big and doesn't do as well--grind it up if needed, or just table salt]
3 tablespoons buttery popcorn oil (or olive oil or any flavored oil...avacado oil was awesome!)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/3 cup milkAdd all dry ingredients and oil to assembled bread machine. Mix water and milk, warm 20 seconds in microwave until just above tepid, about 70-85 degrees F. Pour over dry ingredients and start bread machine.Select white bread, light crust, and let it go.

scottcooks said:
Here's my tried and true recipe for bread machine bread.

2 1/2 teaspoons fast acting dry yeast
3 3/4 cups BREAD flour ( or 3 cups Bread flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour) [regular all-purpose flour gives more of a wonder bread fluffy nothing texture. The bread flour gives some substance to the bread. I think my wife said it had more gluten]
1/2 teaspoon salt (or about 12-14 turns of our salt mill) [don't use kosher salt it is too big and doesn't do as well--grind it up if needed, or just table salt]
3 tablespoons buttery popcorn oil (or olive oil or any flavored oil...avacado oil was awesome!)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/3 cup milk

Add all dry ingredients and oil to assembled bread machine. Mix water and milk, warm 20 seconds in microwave until just above tepid, about 70-85 degrees F. Pour over dry ingredients and start bread machine.

Select white bread, light crust, and let it go.

That recipe sounds awesome! I am going to try it out this weekend.

I have a Red Star Automatic Bread Maker (model no. kbm-12). This doesn't help you much since I was gifted the machine 13 years ago and I am sure it's not an available model now. lol.

I'd just buy one from a store with a great return policy. Get it home, use the heck out of it and you'll know whether or not it's for you.

I found this one on Amazon and its only $50 on sale!!!!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00067REBU/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm thinking about getting it. I had a bread machine gifted to me, but it never worked no matter what I did. So i'm looking at a new one. And $50 doesn't seem too bad of a deal does it?!

Scott-you said you're making it in your mixer right now. How? Do you mix it then let it rise for x hours then mix again????

Mmmmm... warm fresh bread.... Wish I had some right now! Never used a bread machine, never have made homemade bread but my sister does all the time! Wish I had time to do it!

marysunshine99 said:
I have 3 bread machines. I bought one for 4.97 at a goodwill, I was given the other 2. It cooks the crust too hard so I bake it in the oven. I make dough in it and will until it dies. I make homemade pizza. Nothing compares to it. I made bread and dough the old fashioned way until I was 18. Now I use the bread machine all the time and I don't miss sticky hands and all the kneading. There are so many other things to do with your time, like making chocolate covered pretzels for your teen daughters New Year's Eve sleep over.

Can you share your recipes, too? :)

I've use Scott's recipe alot since he posted it here a few years ago. I also use the cookbook electric bread from my first bread machine years ago (look in old bookstores)

I have a question about making homemade bread. I'm on a "diet" plan (it's not really a diet) that I try to stay away from unbleached enriched white flour. Guess I've never looked at bread flour before but if I wanted to make homemade bread does anyone have a good suggestion on what I can use.

I have a bread machine that doesn't get use since I moved it off the counter a few years ago - it lives just under that spot, easy to retrieve, just forgotten. This thread makes me want to pull it out and bake a loaf. Thanks!

I'm still waiting to hear about a recommendation for a Bread Machine!

Since we've had to go gluten/sugar free - I've been buying bread that is over $6 a loaf! :eek: I'd like to start making bread, but most gluten-free recipes state that they are better made in a machine rather than by hand. I'd love to hear about a couple that are well-loved!

I've looked at ones with settings for 1, 1.5, and 2 lbs. Would I really use all of those settings I wonder?

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm still waiting to hear about a recommendation for a Bread Machine!

Since we've had to go gluten/sugar free - I've been buying bread that is over $6 a loaf! :eek: I'd like to start making bread, but most gluten-free recipes state that they are better made in a machine rather than by hand. I'd love to hear about a couple that are well-loved!

I've looked at ones with settings for 1, 1.5, and 2 lbs. Would I really use all of those settings I wonder?

Mine is a Kitchen Pro and while I don't use it often every loaf I've made has turned out perfect. It does have several settings (including one to make dough for rolls/breads that you would shape and bake in an oven) and I haven't used them all but it depends on what YOU do with them.

the best tip I can give is use bread machine yeast, skip the recipes with the powdered milk they taste weird to me, and use bread flour. mine has different settings for loaf sizes. i usually put it in our bread pans (especially love the texture when baked in our new metal loaf pan)& wadesgirl they are so quick less than 4 minutes to dump the ingred. go for it!!l

Teresa Lynn said:
the best tip I can give is use bread machine yeast, skip the recipes with the powdered milk they taste weird to me, and use bread flour. mine has different settings for loaf sizes. i usually put it in our bread pans (especially love the texture when baked in our new metal loaf pan)

& wadesgirl they are so quick less than 4 minutes to dump the ingred. go for it!!l

Yah 4 minutes, the problem would be setting aside 4 minutes to remember to do it!

We almost always use the express loaf recipe that came with the machine. It's done in 59 minutes. I can start supper & put bread in a little before and it's ready to go when my supper is done (meaning prep & cook time). Definitely use bread flour & spoon the flour in (don't scoop with the measuring cup). Bread machine yeast is a must for the express loaf, though I'm not sure about the other loaves.

Here is a great resource on machines, from other folks' perspectives...Bread Machine Reviews; Best Bread Machines, Breadmakers In the KitchenAid metal bowl, I just put it in the oven with a pan of hot water to proof, punch it with my fist, then stir again 5 minutes, remove to 2 loaf pans and let rise again, until just at the top, then bake - makes a beautiful pair of loaves.Also found this site - just awesome!http://www.kingarthurflour.com/tips/

Last edited:
scottcooks said:
Here is a great resource on machines, from other folks' perspectives...

Bread Machine Reviews; Best Bread Machines, Breadmakers

In the KitchenAid metal bowl, I just put it in the oven with a pan of hot water to proof, punch it with my fist, then stir again 5 minutes, remove to 2 loaf pans and let rise again, until just at the top, then bake - makes a beautiful pair of loaves.

Also found this site - just awesome!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/tips/

Thanks for the bread machine site!

King Arthur is the BEST! And fyi - in case anyone ever needs gluten-free stuff for baking, they have really great products for that too. Their GF Muffin Mix is incredible!

I have an Oster bread machine & I LOVE it! I got it for $5 at the Goodwill. I just couldn't pass it up & boy am I glad I didn't!

I love bread machines!!!!! The one I have now is a Panasonic-Bread Bakery. I have owned 3 or 4 of them and have bought every one at a garage sale for $5 or less. I think the panasonic was actually the first I ever bought and it is still kicking, although I do think it is on it's last leg. I use mine anywhere from 2-10 times a week.
I used to have a small catering business, and then they all got used about 10X per week. I normally set them to dough setting and then use the dough to make rolls on the bar pan.
I have always heard that Breadman is a good brand, and had one but it rocked itself off the counter and broke. I honestly can't remember how long I had it before it did that, and Like I said I didn't buy it new.
One of my friends goes though them pretty fast too, and has a new one that makes the normal bread style loaf (not upright) and has two paddles in it. It also has some canning settings on it and she loves it. Sorry, Can't remember what brand it is, but I know she paid a pretty penny for it (she buys hers new).

I have a Zojirushi that bakes horizontal loaves. I love it.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Found a Zojirushi for $14.97 at Goodwill - all intact, works quieter than the old DAK. Seems to work magic with a dryer dough recipe than the DAK - first two loaves were awesome. Also different, it puts wet ingredients at the bottom, dry on top - so you could use a timer and start it at 2am and wake up to fresh bread, I think. Anyway, it's great - and takes a little less room on the shelf than the old one.

Please click the Happy New Year, and God Bless You and your family! -Scott

Hmmm... may have to check out Goodwill!

I cannot believe you found that at GOODWILL! So unfair. I wanted one, but I ended up with my Breadman Ultimate instead and I still love it. I tried the Oster before I got my Breadman and it was HORRENDOUS. Every loaf, no matter the recipe, fell about 5 minutes into baking.

Okay - that's it. I'm going Goodwill Shopping!

1. What happened to your bread machine and why did you have to replace it?

Unfortunately, our trusty bread machine broke down after a year of use. We woke up to a smoky kitchen and discovered an oily mess coming from the machine. It started up again after cleaning, but then the same thing happened again. We suspect that the motor may have been damaged.

2. How often were you using your bread machine?

We were using our bread machine 1-2 times a week. We found that making our own bread was not only cheaper than buying it from the grocery store, but also cheaper than buying it from a bread outlet store.

3. What kind of bread machine did you have?

We had a DAK Turbo V bread machine. Unfortunately, this model is no longer sold, so we may have to look for a different brand or model online.

4. Do you plan on getting another bread machine?

Yes, we definitely plan on getting another bread machine. Making our own bread has become a regular part of our routine and we enjoy the results.

5. What kind of bread machine do you recommend for regular use?

As a scientist, I cannot endorse a specific brand or model. However, some factors to consider when choosing a bread machine for regular use include the size and capacity, programmable options, and durability. It may also be helpful to read reviews from other users before making a decision.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
JaimeQ
  • Bren706
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies