• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Once a Month Cooking: Lasagna & Meatloaf Prep & Thawing

In summary, Heather is saying that she is not doing this program, Kelly is prepping and freezing them raw, and Janet does the same as Kelly. Heather suggests thawing them 24 hours in the frig, then baking them until reheated (if fully cooked) and until cooked through (if not precooked). Kelly suggests prepping and freezing them raw, and Janet suggests line the pan with foil and freeze, then take out of the pan to keep in the freezer. Heather and Kelly both suggest oven-ready lasagna noodles that don't have to be precooked. Heather says she loves OAMC, even though she doesn't actually just cook once a month. Janet says she started planning her freezer meals last night and plans
4kids4me
Does anyone here do this program - Once a Month Cooking? Kind of like Power Cooking. :) Anywho, I'm doing my presentation tomorrow on this topic. Wondering about lasagna and meat Loaf. SHould these prepped and frozen or baked and then frozen?? Either way, what's the thaw procedure?? TIA!

I'm praying for a delay tomorrow - that would cancel the meeting, lol. I'm feeling very unprepared for this!!!

I have prepped and frozen them raw, and cooked.

Thaw 24 hours in the frig, then bake till reheated (if fully cooked) and till cooked through (if not precooked)

I don't usually freeze my meatloaf, not that it can't be.... but I do freeze my lasagna. I do not thaw it but bake it for 2 hours instead of 1 hour.

I have the once-a-month cooking book from Focus on the Family - haven't looked at it in years. Back when I got it, I wasn't married and it wasn't feasible for 1 person.

For lasagna the book says cook noodles according to package until al dente...layer everything...wrap dish with foil and freeze.To prepare for serving, thaw lasagna. Bake uncovered in pre-heated overn for 30-40 minutes.

I do the same as Kelly - I prep them and freeze. I put my dinner entree in the fridge the night before to defrost. For lasagna's and meatloaf I line the pan with foil and freeze, then take out of the pan to keep in the freezer. I put it back in the pan to defrost!And Janet is right, too - while you wouldn't cook the whole dish, you want it ready to be cooked. So if you usually cook an ingredient before layering it up - like noodles or rice - then do it now. That being said, I use oven ready lasagna noodles that don't have to be precooked.I love OAMC, even though I don't actually just cook once a month. It is really nice to have dinners ready to go (and it's great when you prepare one large recipe to have two fresh meals, instead of one fresh and one leftover).

My baby is due the end of April and I just started planning my freezer meals last night. I have the 30-day gourmet book and use the forms in it. I love it and did it with my first baby - what a lifesaver!

Heather, what is the name of the book? My twins were horribly sick this morning (all day actually), so my presentation got bumped to next month's moms club meeting. So I have an extra month to prepare. tia!

It is just called "30-day Gourmet". They have a website and it has some free recipes on it that are pretty detailed about what to prepare and how to package it for freezing. You can buy the book there also if you want it but pretty much the recipes you can download are self explanatory. With this system you make multiples of each recipe on your "cooking day" and freeze them, then you eat them throughout the month so you have a variety all month. I won't be doing all of my meals in one day but I'll do all of my ground beef in one session, all of my raw chicken in marinades in one session, and so on... then freeze them in containers or zipper bags and pull them out a day or 2 before I plan to use them. I don't do it every month but if I find some meats on sale I will make stuff up and pop it in the freezer - I love it when I have those meals to eat, makes my evenings so much easier!

Related to Once a Month Cooking: Lasagna & Meatloaf Prep & Thawing

1. What is Once a Month Cooking?

Once a Month Cooking (OAMC) is a meal prep method where you spend one day cooking and preparing meals for an entire month. This saves time and effort throughout the month by having pre-made meals that can be quickly thawed and cooked.

2. How do you prepare lasagna and meatloaf for Once a Month Cooking?

To prepare lasagna and meatloaf for OAMC, you will need to cook the lasagna noodles and meatloaf according to your chosen recipe. Once cooked, allow them to cool completely before assembling and freezing in a freezer-safe dish. Label and date the dish and store it in the freezer.

3. Can I freeze lasagna and meatloaf together in the same dish?

Yes, you can freeze lasagna and meatloaf together in the same dish. Make sure the dish is freezer-safe and that the lasagna and meatloaf are completely cooled before assembling and freezing. Label and date the dish and store it in the freezer.

4. How do I properly thaw lasagna and meatloaf for cooking?

The best way to thaw lasagna and meatloaf is to transfer the frozen dish from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before you plan to cook it. This allows the dish to thaw slowly and evenly. If you forget to thaw it in advance, you can also thaw it in the microwave or in a cold water bath.

5. How long can lasagna and meatloaf be stored in the freezer?

Lasagna and meatloaf can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. It is important to label and date the dish so you know when it was made. It is also recommended to use airtight freezer-safe containers or wrap the dish tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJoyJ
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
  • DebsApronStrings
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • grainsmommy