• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Oh No! Electric Bill Shock: $563.47!

In summary, the conversation revolved around high electric bills, with one person expressing frustration and shock at their bill of $563.47. Others shared their own experiences with high bills, mentioning factors like extreme weather and the cost of living. Some offered tips for reducing energy usage, while others commiserated with the original poster.
smspamperedchef
Silver Member
Oh I could just cry!!! :cry:

Opened up my electric bill and the CURRENT CHARGES ARE $563.47! I am SO upset! I have NEVER had a bill this high! I know this is Texas and we did have a heat wave for about 2 weeks and in the middle of that some temps like 107 degrees but this is RIDICULOUS!!! I thought our last bill was high and that was $394.99. I went out and checked the meter and it's pretty close to what was read on the 8th. What's next month gonna be---$1,000??? I need to do more shows JUST to pay my electric bill!!! Ok, I would say vent over but I have a hard time getting over this. My DH is out of town so I couldn't complain to him. Sorry for venting on all of you! :(

ouch! I think we can all relate to a sudden, unexpected big expense like that. Kind of like when your car goes in for regular service & you find out you need a $2000 part.
sometimes it seems like you just can never catch a financial break.Take a deep breath. Get a cool cloth for your face. This, too, shall pass.

Sharon I feel for you, my bills have been around $350.00 for a few months now. The weather has been good the last week and we have have the ac off. The cost of everything is going up and it's scary. I am so afraid for this winter, I heat my house with oil and I got a price of $3.98 a gallon for oil. So we will be under lots of blankets and putting on more layers of clothes to keep the themostate down.

Girl, I can totally relate but ours is high in the winter! Our house is totally electric so apparently it takes more electricity to heat a house than cool it - at least thats what our inspecter told us. Even with these HIGH temps our electric bill in the summer maxes out at about $300. In the winter it looks more like $400-$500. I even try to keep it down and just dress warm and use lots of blankets. they said my insulation was good. Oh well.

Wow... and here I felt bad that mine was $150 this month! Part of the reason my dad recently sold his house was his heating/cooling bills were around $400 every month and he couldn't take it any longer. This is just ridiculous these bills!

Wow that is terrible!! I agree there is always something! My electric and gas aren't terrible, but my gas for driving is! I've been spending about $800/month!! I'm also facing medical bills since I need to have my gall bladder out!!

My gas is on budget for $127 a month. It went up even though I had a refund this year. I guess they know the price is increasing:(! My electric is the most in the summer. My highest was $180. This is because we have central air and a pool pump running.

It has been so great to turn off the air lately! I'm hoping it's going to help my bill next month. I need to start turning off the pump at night too since we aren't really swimming a lot anymore now that the kids are back in school.

Now mind you my house is only 1650 sq. foot and is 19 years old. We have great insulation and good Pella Windows.

You go getting those shows!

Wow I live in AZ in the desert and mine was $350 thats the highest so far this year. But my house in Vegas was $550 but that is a bigger house.

We use a lot floor fans and ceiling fans here! It really does help so we can keep the thermostat at 78. And if the kids complain its hot in here I say go stand outside for a few minutes and then tell me how hot it is in here!

Oh and its only 100 degrees today, thats low for us. And yes I am still going to turn on the oven to make the apple tartlets!
I am crazy and I know it.
Tammy

Places near the coast (ie. Houston, TX) have to have their AC running almost year round. Not necessarily because of the heat - although that has a lot to do with your bill right now, but because of the humidity. The AC helps to keep the moisture from staying where it wants to be and growing mold. You might want to ask your elec company about getting on an even pay plan for the year - much easier to budget!

My electric bill is $376.00 a month (and I have gas heat and gas cooking!) we do a budget billing so that every month it is the same and we get a credit or debit at the end of the cycle (usually is pretty close to even though) We do have a built in pool and a large house, 3 refridgerators and a subzero full size freezer, BUT NO A/C!!! I think our electric bill is at least 140 more this year then last - something has to give with these things!

I would have just died if my bill was that high. Mine did jump from 120- 200 this last month. When I went in to pay the bill I was talking to my friend and she said there was a 9% increase (here) Yikes!!

Sharon,

I know what you mean! Our bills are stretching up there too. I think my only saving grace is to keep the windows open as long as I can in the morning, hence saving me some money. I don't turn the air on until the house temperature reads 80, then keep it at 80 degrees the rest of the time. Not as cool as I'd like, but it helps some.

I guess the best thing is -- this will be a great motivator to pump up your business! And, by example, might be a good way to get new consultants..."I'm doing this to pay my electric bill !!"

God bless you!

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

OMG, even when it's -35C up here in the great white north my bills are not that high!!

I own a restaurant and my bill in the summer time with the A/C on is right about that!

When are we gonna get a break from these outrageous utility prices!?!?
Our electric bill was $200 this month. I can't imagine if it were as high as some of the ones you all have!

Wow!! I can't believe the prices everyone is paying!! I am now VERY thankful about my bills and will no longer complain when I have what I thought was a "high" bill. My house is mainly electric in the summer as only the water heater uses gas in the summer, but my heat is gas and I have a pellet stove. I am on a budget for my gas bills so that way it is the same every month at $143.00 and my electric bill doesn't go over $40 even w/ the A/C running. I can't imagine having to pay some of your electric bills. Sharon that is more than my house payment!!!! Wow.

I started Pampered Chef because of my gas payment. Day after Christmas we got our bill and it was almost $700 for the month. My hubby said it might be time for me to go back to work (I used to sell Real Estate) I didn't want to so here I am.
I am super kicking up shows this fall, I want Mexico so that is a motivator. But I just know we are going to get slammed this year for heating!
((HUGS)) Sharon, we are all right there with you.

Thanks guys for your kind words. I went to a friend's house tonight to watch a movie and had pizza, brownies and ice cream!!! My family is on a campout and that treat did me good! Well, unfortunately not for the scales but right now WHO CARES!!!

I am sooo glad I live up here in Eureka, CA! It is cold almost all year round and no...NO one has ac anywhere. (well maybe some stores have it) My bill was $44? During the winter in my old home it was about $200...

Awh that stinks I'm sorry! I will say in Jan my gas bill was $597 and I was shocked when I opened it. Paid it and B#tched a lot...lol
Then my next bill came and I had a $300 credit they had made a mistake by then it was warmer here and I didn't have a gas bill for 4 months. I wished I had called and double checked when the bill came. I was doing the same thing you are doing oh it was really cold blah blah blah and paid it without questioning. (ok maybe your are saying its really hot LOL)

ooohhh, Sharon, I'll trade ya!!! since we are about an hour apart you can go get mine. I'm not even home to open mine yet but our lowest is always about $600 !! summers usually range $800-$900
we did set it on 80 since we were going to be gone 18 days but I doubt we will see much change.

Teresa Lynn said:
we did set it on 80 since we were going to be gone 18 days but I doubt we will see much change.

We keep our A/C set on 80 when we're home! I can't even imagine keeping it colder than that, because I get cold sometimes with it at 80.

it was a fight between my husband & I. I wanted it cooler for my siamese cat, I gave my neighbors permission to "adjust it if necassary" he's used to being cool and comfortable :)

1. What caused my electric bill to be so high this month?

There could be a variety of factors that contributed to your high electric bill. Some common reasons include increased energy usage due to weather changes, leaving lights or appliances on for extended periods of time, or using energy-intensive equipment such as a pool pump or air conditioning unit.

2. How can I lower my electric bill in the future?

There are several steps you can take to reduce your energy usage and lower your electric bill. These include making sure to turn off lights and appliances when not in use, using energy-efficient light bulbs, adjusting your thermostat to a more moderate temperature, and unplugging electronics that are not in use.

3. Can I negotiate with my electric company for a lower bill?

While it is possible to negotiate with your electric company, it is not always a guaranteed solution. It is best to first try to reduce your energy usage and then speak with your provider about potential discounts or payment plans that may be available.

4. Is there a way to track my energy usage to better understand my bill?

Yes, many electric companies offer tools or apps that allow you to track your energy usage and see where you may be using the most electricity. This can help you make more informed decisions about how to reduce your usage and save money on your bill.

5. Are there any government programs or rebates available to help with high electric bills?

There may be government programs or rebates available to assist with high electric bills, especially for low-income households. It is worth researching to see if you qualify for any assistance programs in your area.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Chef Endora
  • kisrae
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Evelynt
  • dymplz8
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies