• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking Without a Stove: Easy and Affordable Microwave Recipes

In summary, the conversation is about a gas leak in the stove being discovered by the roommate and the gas being turned off. The person has limited cooking options now and is looking for easy and affordable recipes that can be made in the microwave. Some suggestions are Amazing Mac N' Cheese, Tomato Basil Pasta, Taco Soup, Microwave Meat Loaf, Chicken Alfredo, Easy Enchiladas, Fiesta Chicken & Rice, and Chicken, Broccoli & Rice.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
My roommate picked up on a gas leak. I didn't smell it but called the gas company just in case.

They found a leak INSIDE THE STOVE and turned the gas off to it.

So now I have my crock pot (requires advance planning which I am not good at) toaster oven (small quantities, anyone) my mirowave and my rice cooker and deep covered baker.

(Oh and there's also the BBQ grill but it's 40 degrees in Ohio.)

Other than the Grilled Chicken Penne Pasta (which I plan to make some time soon) any recipes that don't cost an arm and a leg that can be easily nuked? Thinking of doing a 30 Minute Chicken but the pork tenderloin is $5 a pound!

Going shopping tomorrow ...

Amazing Mac N’ Cheese
Deep Covered Baker Recipe

2 c elbow macaroni
1 can chicken broth
2 c half/half
8 oz block cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper

Mix Mac, broth, half/half in baker. Cover. Heat high 14 min. Remove and add cheese. Stir. Replace lid for 10 min and let set. Stir and serve.

Tomato Basil Pasta
2 cans (14oz each) Chicken or Veggie Broth
1 pound spaghetti (break in half)
In Deep Covered Baker (DCB) combine broth and spaghetti. Stir to completely wet spaghetti.
Microwave for 8 minutes on high, stir, microwave an additional 8 minutes
While spaghetti is in microwave combine the following items in Manual Food Processor:
Fresh Basil and some Garlic Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Process to break down Basil.
3-4 Roma Tomatoes Slice with Veggie Slicer and toss in Manual Food Processor.
Garlic 2-3 toes– pressed.
Sea Salt – Pinch
¼ cup parmesan approximately (Please use the brick parmesan and grate, such a better taste factor)
When pasta is finished cooking toss in the tomato basil sauce. Serve

TACO SOUP

1 pound lean ground beef
1 small yellow onion
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
1 can (15 ounces) beans in chili sauce, undrained
1 can Rotel chilis and diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can tomato soup
1 soup can of water
Place burger and chopped onion to Deep Covered Baker. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove and crumble with Mix n Chop. Cover and return to microwave for 2 minutes. Remove and use Mix n Chop till desired consistency is obtained. Drain. Add remaining ingredients, stir thoroughly and heat 10 minutes until hot. Serve with tortilla chips, salsa, sour cream, and grated cheddar cheese.

MICROWAVE MEAT LOAF
2 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. green pepper, chopped
1/3 bottle Bennett's chili sauce (use Bennet for flavor)
2 eggs
2 c. Rice Krispies
1/2 c. Muenster cheese, cubed (optional)
1 chopped onion
Mix all ingredients. Form into loaf and place into Cranberry Covered Baker. Bake in microwave uncovered on full power for 14-16 minutes or
until done. Drain grease periodically. Meat will brown on top. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for several minutes before cutting.

Chicken Alfredo
4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
3/4 pkg. fettuccini noodles
2 jars Alfredo sauce

Season chicken breasts and put into bottom of baker. Lay uncooked noodles on top of chicken and then pour sauce over the top. Put lid on and put in the microwave for about 20 minutes.

Easy Enchiladas (in 15 minutes)
1 lb (about 3) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (13-15oz) enchilada sauce
6-10 flour or corn tortillas

Place chicken in baker. Pour tomatoes and green chilies over chicken and bake in microwave on HIGH of 10 minutes. Place chicken and some of the tomatoes and green chilies into a bowl. Chop with Salad choppers. Discard remaining liquid. Scoop 2 large scoops of chicken into each tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, and roll tightly. Place back into baker, cover with enchilada sauce and more cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes of until cheese is melted. Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.

Fiesta Chicken & Rice
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (frozen)
2 cans of rotel
1 cup of instant rice
2-4 oz of cream cheese, softened

Place frozen chicken breasts into DCB and add 2 cans of rotel. Microwave covered on high for 15 minutes. Remove & chop chicken with Salad Choppers. Add 1 cup of instant rice & stir. Cover & microwave for 10-15 more minutes. Remove & add cream cheese to make the creamy sauce.

Variations: Use Velveeta cheese instead of cream cheese for a delicious cheesy sauce. Use petite diced tomatoes instead of rotel so it's not too spicy for kids

Chicken, Broccoli & Rice
3-4 skinless chicken breasts, frozen
1 can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
1 cup of instant rice
1-2 cups of frozen broccoli

Place frozen chicken breasts into DCB and add the can of soup. Microwave covered on high for 15 minutes. Remove & chop chicken with Salad Choppers. Add 1 cup of instant rice, 1 cup of frozen broccoli and stir. Cover & microwave for 10-15 more minutes. Serve & enjoy!

Teriyaki Chicken & Rice
3-4 skinless chicken breasts, frozen
1 bottle of Teriyaki Sauce w/Honey
1 cup of instant rice
1-2 cups of frozen stir fry veggies

Place frozen chicken breasts into DCB and add the bottle of teriyaki sauce. Microwave covered on high for 15 minutes. Remove & chop chicken with Salad Choppers. Add 1 cup of instant rice, frozen veggies and stir. Cover & microwave for 10-15 more minutes. Serve & enjoy!

Thanks for all the recipes. I especially appreciate the ones for pasta because I bought 10 pounds of it before my stove went down, and I only know how to cook Penne in the microwave.

The fettucini one ... do you seriously put everything on top of the uncooked chicken and cook?

Yes you can!

And here is another one that is popular:
The Pampered Chef ®
Grilled Chicken Penne al Fresco
Recipe

4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
3 cups uncooked mezze penne pasta
3 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup dry white wine such as Chardonnay
1/2 tsp each salt and coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, divided
1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup packed)
2 cups diced grilled chicken breasts (you can buy these in the frozen section or cook chicken in the microwave with the Ridged Baker)
Additional grated fresh Parmesan cheese and coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

Spray Deep Covered Baker with olive oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Slice garlic into baker using Garlic Slicer. Add tomatoes. Cover; microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to burst, stirring after 2 minutes. Crush tomatoes using Mix ‘N Chop. Add pasta, broth, wine, salt and black pepper.

Return baker to microwave; cover and microwave on HIGH 16-18 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring after 10 minutes. Meanwhile, coarsely chop basil with Chef's Knife. Reserve 2 tbsp for garnish. Grate cheese using Rotary Grater.

Carefully remove baker from microwave and remove lid, lifting away from you. Add remaining basil, cheese and chicken to baker; mix well. Garnish with reserved 2 tbsp basil, additional Parmesan cheese and black pepper, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings

Nutrients per serving: Light (about 1 cup): Calories 240, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat .5 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Carbohydrate 35 g, Protein 17 g, Sodium 450 mg, Fiber 2 g

Cook's Tip: An additional 3/4 cup chicken broth can be substituted for the wine, if desired.

Any tube-shaped pasta requiring 9-11 minutes cook time, such as penne or rigatoni, can be substituted for the mezze penne pasta.

THIS IS WHAT THE ORIGINAL RECIPE CALLS FOR but you can use the tip I added above. To grill chicken in the Grill Pan, season 2 chicken breasts, about 6 oz each, with salt and black pepper. Heat Grill Pan over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Spray pan with oil. Cook chicken 4-6 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn chicken over; cook 4-6 minutes or until center of chicken is no longer pink and Digital Pocket Thermometer registers 170°F.

© 2009 The Pampered Chef used under license.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On top of all the other suggestions, here are a few of my favorites:
South of the Border Meatloaf
Fajitas
Loaded Baked Potato ChowderDo you have the DCB cookbook - there are a few pasta recipes in there too

yes...put it all on top of the chicken :D

Yes I have the DCB cookbook and several DCB recipies ... I was just having a whiney day ... thinking that several of those recipies are oven ones and wondering how I can afford to fix or replace the stove, $700 worth of repairs on my car and still being able to buy food since nothng I have will work.

Roomie is going to a cookout with the fam so I am going to be making fish in the toaster oven. I have a box and half of it and I figure I can bake potatoes in the microwave. Just discouraging.

Oh and the Grilled Chicken Penne is one of my favorites ... I don't have tomatoes and I plan to get some tomorrow. There are also some mexican recipies in other past season's bests that I haven't done for a while ... most of them call for chicken to be cooked and if it's warmer I'll probably grill a lot of chicken. Roomie gets sick of things after one time but I don't mine making a lot because I can take it to work.

don't worry about being whiney!! sometimes it feels like everything pours down on us all at once. and you can always experiment and make up new things....who knows...might be good :D i do that a lot....sometimes we just look at each other and say....ummmm...please don't do that again! lol but others are happy surprises.
hope you have a better tomorrow!

Mexican Chicken Lasagna! OMG that thing is good. Get the little cans instead of one big can of enchilada sauce & use 2 green & 1 red. Also use corn tortillas. When I was in Japan, it was like crack to me! I'd been without Tex-Mex for so long that I couldn't get enough!!! LOLOh, now I'm wishing I had the ingredients in the house to go make it NOW! LOL

The Family Burrito Bake from the DCB cookbook only costs $7! It's a microwave recipe and we love it. Also, the cheeseburger deluxe salad is good (the old recipe calls for cooking in the dcb in microwave). The pasta primavera is fabulous too, from the dcb cookbook-if you have fresh veggies already on hand it'd be inexpensive.

I know everybody raved about that salad, but anything that involves pickles and mustard just screams gross to me. But I am out of almost EVERYTHING and plan to take the DCB cookbook to the store with me.

Another super easy and cheap idea is bbq sloppy joes- ground the beef in the dcb in microwave, add bbq sauce (I like Sweet Baby Rays for this) and jarred salsa. Serve on potato rolls w/cole slaw. Yum!

Or if you have our BBQ rub, brown 1 pound of hamburger or turkey, add 3 Tbl. of rub and 1 cup (or more to taste) of ketchup and heat through. Serve on toast or toasted buns. Yum! I've sold numerous bottles of our BBQ rub because of that recipe.

1. Can I use any type of microwave for these recipes?

Yes, these recipes are designed to be cooked in a standard microwave. However, make sure to follow the wattage and cooking time instructions for your specific microwave to ensure the best results.

2. Are the ingredients for these recipes easy to find and affordable?

Yes, these recipes use simple and budget-friendly ingredients that can be found at most grocery stores. You may even have some of the ingredients already in your pantry.

3. Can I make a full meal using only the microwave?

Absolutely! These recipes include main dishes, sides, and even desserts, so you can create a complete meal using only your microwave. Just make sure to plan and time your dishes accordingly.

4. Are these recipes healthy and nutritious?

Yes, these recipes focus on using fresh and wholesome ingredients to create balanced and nutritious meals. However, always consult with a healthcare professional for any specific dietary needs or restrictions.

5. Can I adjust the serving sizes for these recipes?

Yes, these recipes include serving sizes for 2-4 people, but you can easily adjust the ingredient amounts to fit your needs. Just be mindful of cooking times and check for doneness before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• CAPCnewbie
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • pamperedlinda
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pamperedlinda