• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Navigating Conflict of Interest in My Elementary School Side Hustle

In summary, the author is unsure about advertising too much in their school, but is okay to market to their fellow staff members and approach their parents. They are considering a fundraiser for the next school event.
msmileyface
Hi everyone,

Maybe someone else has been in this boat. I work in 2 elementary schools (gold mines for contacts!). However, I feel uncomfortable about the idea of advertising too much there other than to my teacher friends. I'm not sure that I would want to host shows in the homes of my students (and since I am the school counselor, all 900 children are my students!) even though I know many of the moms would probably love to have parties.

Any thoughts? I'm going to run this by my principals as well, in terms of what they think is a conflict and what isn't.

Why not start with a fundraiser for the school's next event. That would get your PC name out there in a generous way- your just helping the school after all. And maybe some parents will contact you for their own party.

Recruit a parent to join so they could do the "parent" parties and you wouldn't have to be put in that position and you keep doing the "teacher" parties. =)

Sorry, I do think it could cause an ethical situation for you to market to the parents. I like Kristina's idea of having someone in your downline do all the shows for the parents & you do the ones for the teachers. ;)

I think it's fine to approach your fellow staff members. But I'd leave the parents alone. Doing a fundraiser would be awesome though! Because then the parents can discover your consultant status and then maybe they'd ask to host a show. I'd donate your commission (minus material expenses) for a fundraiser.

I work in my kids' school cafeteria and I just began with getting to know the assistants, etc. that work the lunches. I found ways to work it into conversation and eventually one of them booked a show. Since then, my principal orders from me, as well as half the school. Then when I volunteer in the classroom, I always wear my logowear and if there are other parents, I make a connection, etc, just like in the cafeteria. Word's gotten out.BTW...one of my team members is also a parent at the school and we do not seem to be stepping on each other's toes at all.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to do a fundraiser next month. I just wonder if it's okay to do a show for a parent if they ask, considering their kids (my students) would be there in the home? I think it's probably okay. They would get a kick out of it I'm sure.

It's not exactly the same but I work in a foster care agency and although my co-workers purchase from me and have hosted shows, I'm not allowed to sell to our foster families.

That said, I typically carry a logo tote bag and I suppose if someone were to place an online order it would be out of my control. But I definitely would not be able to have a foster family host a show or purchase from me outright.

ChefCat said:
Why not start with a fundraiser for the school's next event. That would get your PC name out there in a generous way- your just helping the school after all. And maybe some parents will contact you for their own party.

I think this a brilliant idea!

I guess it all depends on your school and the administration. When I first started PC two years ago, I spread the word as much as I could that I am a PC consultant. I work in the cafeteria, and come in contact with quite a few people. I've had a few orders, but that's about it. Initially, there was some interest with some of the teachers having a show, but they ended up dead ends. In fact, I couldn't even get any orders last spring for HWC. This past holiday season I put catty's in the faculty room, but they quietly ended up in my mailbox, without orders. I can take a hint.

Oh, and I park my car right at the curb, with my logo information on the windows. Everyone knows who the pampered chef is, and it hasn't seemed to help.

I can see there being a difference between being a counselor and holding just about any other position in the school. Have you thought about talking with your principal?

I am an Instructional assistant and I have had parties with the parents some good and some bad, but for the most part it has helped my business, I do not have to sit down with the parents to discuss problems and or child's academic progress so its comfortable I live and work in my community and that's the message our school conveys so its nice for me... Don;t give up, though !

What is a conflict of interest?

A conflict of interest is a situation in which a person or organization is involved in multiple interests, and serving one interest could potentially harm or influence the other interest.

How do conflicts of interest affect my job at Pampered Chef?

As an employee of Pampered Chef, you are expected to prioritize the company's interests over your personal interests in any business dealings. Conflicts of interest can create ethical and legal problems and can damage the company's reputation.

What are some examples of conflicts of interest in the workplace?

Examples of conflicts of interest in the workplace include accepting gifts or favors from clients or vendors, hiring or promoting family members or close friends, and using company resources for personal gain.

How can I avoid conflicts of interest in my job at Pampered Chef?

To avoid conflicts of interest, it is important to disclose any potential conflicts to your supervisor or the human resources department. You should also refrain from participating in any decision-making processes that could benefit you personally or harm the company.

What are the consequences of not disclosing a conflict of interest?

Failing to disclose a conflict of interest can result in disciplinary action, including termination of employment. It can also damage your professional reputation and credibility. It is always best to be transparent and address any potential conflicts before they become a problem.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • ChefSteph06
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
SillyChef
  • Jennifer Donoho