• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Morning Sickness at Show --Help!

In summary, a consultant is seeking advice on how to handle a cooking show at a customer's house while being 4.5 weeks pregnant and experiencing severe morning sickness. She is hesitant to tell the customer about her pregnancy due to mutual acquaintances who may be hurt if they are not the first to know. Suggestions are given, including having a non-cooking show or using a white lie about having plans that day. The consultant is also advised to eat frequently and try remedies such as crackers, ginger ale, and peppermint tea. Congratulations are given for the pregnancy and suggestions are made to announce it at the show or have an interactive show. Other moms share their experiences with morning sickness and offer tips such as drinking coke, eating crackers, and
Luv2bake
HELP! I have a customer who is pretty much my bread and butter at this business, she does at least 4 shows a year and they are high in sales. Here is the problem. She wants to do a cooking show at her house on Oct 4. As of today, I am 4.5 weeks pregnant (first kiddo), am slightly high risk due to age and other issues. So, I am wanting to wait to tell people until at least 8-10 weeks along. Problem: I am having significant morning sickness (okay- all day sickness!!) especially being around/smelling food. I don't feel I can tell her about the pregnancy b/c she knows a lot of the same people I do, who would be VERY hurt if I told her first. How should I explain to her that I can't do any cooking but will gladly talk about new products, etc? is there some kind of theme show to do? Even if I don't cook...I know she will have a lot of food, etc for her guests and that will send me reeling. :yuck: By the show date, I will be about 6-6.5 weeks along (hopefully)...I just don't know what to tell her. Heh heh- have her sign a confidentiality agreement? It is a little white lie, but I could tell her I have plans that day but will leave her with the catalogs, etc since actually they do a lot of socializing at her shows typically and don't pay much attention to me anyway. SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!!

How would you do with something non-cooking, like a trifle?

Maybe okay, I'd have to practice it first. Thing is, she will have a whole buffet of party food sitting out for her guests anyway. I'm afraid just walking into the house will be the end of me!

Have things like saltine crackers or ginger ale helped at all?

Yelling at DH seems to help. Maybe I should try yelling at him to get me some crackers and ginger ale! I have not tried those yet. Even swallowing the prenatal vitamin makes me feel urpy.

Love it! That is so funny. Just take him to the show and let loose!

My mom said that when she was pregnant she always had to eat crackers before she got out of bed in order not to be sick. Myself, I lived with Tums!!

But, all in all, if you try everything and can't do it, you can talk about being sick without giving up your secret. It's almost flu season!

Well if the flu also makes your boobs hurt then I'm all set for an alibi! Yeah I think I'm going to end up being MIA and just leaving them catalogs, maybe some early Christmas ideas etc.

Good luck! I hope it all works out!

Do what really makes you feel comfortable, if you are concerned about it, you can leave catalogs and just do it that way.

Make sure you keep your tummy full all the time, eat every 20 min or so. i used to munch on strawberries, carrots, etc. That seemed to help my nausea. Congrats by the way!

Yes, Definitely congratulations!! How rude am I!

Congrats!!!I had morning sickness with all 3 kids up until the morning I was induced. some days it was morning, other times it was evening. Never knew when it would strike.

Morning, All day sickness is a pain!! I remember about throwing up making Asian Pork SKillet when I was pregnant.

I think that even if you do a no-demo show either way she is going to have food there for you to have to smell.

You could always say you have a migraine and it is making you sick - I can vouch that they really make u want to throw up!:yuck:

no advice but congratulations on baby!!

When I was preggy, I drank blackberry tea from Trader Joes and it really quelled the queasies.

I think you tell her and ask her not to tell anyone else, that you'll announce it at the show. this is a perfect call for an interactive show. You sip 7 up while everyone else does the demo.

With my first child (I have 3) I had the morning sickness the worst.

I usually drank a juice glass of coke and a couple of crackers first thing in the AM and by 10:00 AM I was OK to eat toast.

Also if I felt ill during the day I would get Mentos ® gum and it would calm my stomach. The doctor told me it was the pepperment in it. Maybe peppermint tea would help.

I think you should go with the catalog show too....

Have you tried the Preggie Pops? They really helped me when I first found out I was pregnant 2 months ago. Please let me know how you do...when I get pregnant hopefully this next month I will also be considered a HIGH NEEDS pregnancy.

GOOD LUCK and MUCH CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

Check out Rae's catalog walk through. Tell her you are trying a new concept where you have the food prepared ahead of time (maybe even offer to bring a trifle already put together - have DH do it) and bring potatoes, cutting boards, TTA with tools and let people play with the tools after the catalog walk through.

Yes Ginger ale is a lifesaver! Take your vitamins at night before you go to sleep - those suckers always made me sick!!!

I was sooooo sick with my first baby. My midwife told me to suck on peppermints, with them in your mouth you can't smell as much either. I took my vitamins at night but I had to lay off of them for the first few weeks, I took them everyother day before bed. I also want to think she said B12 helps.
I would be a little afraid to just drop off catalogs. You'll love it if you can do that around the time of your delivery and make money without actually working. If you drop off cattys now and it doesn't go as well as it has in the past she may be reluctant to do it again when it's closer to your delivery time and you really need the money.

Ugh!

I was so sick when I was pregnant - all day sickness!

I found out I was pregnant the end of Oct. (that explained the flu that wouldn't go away!) and for Nov. & Dec., I did Batter Bowl Gift Shows. I would bring the batter bowl brownies layered in a bowl, and hand it off to the host when I got to the show. She would mix it up, and pop it in the oven in a stone, so that when everyone got there, they could smell it. I would be in the living room with a table set up - and would show everyone how to layer the brownies in the batter bowl (then have it ready for the next show) and give them recipes and other ideas for batter bowl gifts. Then, I would go over other gift giving ideas, pass out catalogs, explain the check out process, and set up to take orders. They could go into the kitchen and help themselves to a brownie and ice cream.

buckeyefan08 said:
I was sooooo sick with my first baby. My midwife told me to suck on peppermints, with them in your mouth you can't smell as much either. I took my vitamins at night but I had to lay off of them for the first few weeks, I took them everyother day before bed. I also want to think she said B12 helps.
I would be a little afraid to just drop off catalogs. You'll love it if you can do that around the time of your delivery and make money without actually working. If you drop off cattys now and it doesn't go as well as it has in the past she may be reluctant to do it again when it's closer to your delivery time and you really need the money.

I wasn't actually sick during my pregnancy (lucked out there, I guess), but we did IVF and the drugs I had to be on BEFORE the treatment made me pretty queasy. The peppermints really do work. I kept a whole bag of the Lifesavers mints in my desk drawer at work, and would pop one in my mouth before trying to stand up to walk anywhere. I was always perfectly fine as long as I was sitting, but standing up made me light-headed and walking was torture for a few weeks. Congrats on your "secret" and good luck with your show, however you make it work!

cmdtrgd said:
Check out Rae's catalog walk through. Tell her you are trying a new concept where you have the food prepared ahead of time (maybe even offer to bring a trifle already put together - have DH do it) and bring potatoes, cutting boards, TTA with tools and let people play with the tools after the catalog walk through.

Exactly what I was thinking. I read her post on her show and what she does with the catalog and thought that idea would be perfect for you!

My daughter is 3 months pregnant with #2. She has been so sick.. Her doctor prescribed a medicine that they give chemo patients for nausea. It supposedly is ok for the baby. I wonder if your Dr knows about it or would be open to it. I would be glad to ask her what it is called if you are open to that. She says it has been amazing. She no longer has to take it. My e-mail is gingertannery2000@ya hoo dot com. in case they scramble it. Good Luck.. and let us know what happens.

You could always do the Potato show...where you showcase a lot of gadgets...I believe you can show the v-cutter, the corer, mandoline, chopper, knives, apple corer peeler slicer, etc...just be creative...You don't have to use only potatoes...You can use tomatoes, mushrooms, kiwi (both great to show the egg slicer and more), the corer...core out a cucumber and stick a carrot in the hollowed part and then use the crinkle cutter to make decorative veggie cuts....You can talk about cutting up potatoes with the crinkle blade on the mandoline and using the large bar pan to bake them on to make homemade potato chips....someone on this thread mentioned making a trifle...maybe layer fruits...no smelling of cooked food...and it is a great way to invite the guests to be hands on and try the products.Congratulations on your "secret"! Hope this helps.Trina(didn't see that someone had already suggested this idea!! sorry to be redundant)

Last edited:
Luv2bake said:
HELP! I have a customer who is pretty much my bread and butter at this business, she does at least 4 shows a year and they are high in sales. Here is the problem. She wants to do a cooking show at her house on Oct 4. As of today, I am 4.5 weeks pregnant (first kiddo), am slightly high risk due to age and other issues. So, I am wanting to wait to tell people until at least 8-10 weeks along. Problem: I am having significant morning sickness (okay- all day sickness!!) especially being around/smelling food. I don't feel I can tell her about the pregnancy b/c she knows a lot of the same people I do, who would be VERY hurt if I told her first. How should I explain to her that I can't do any cooking but will gladly talk about new products, etc? is there some kind of theme show to do? Even if I don't cook...I know she will have a lot of food, etc for her guests and that will send me reeling. :yuck: By the show date, I will be about 6-6.5 weeks along (hopefully)...I just don't know what to tell her. Heh heh- have her sign a confidentiality agreement? It is a little white lie, but I could tell her I have plans that day but will leave her with the catalogs, etc since actually they do a lot of socializing at her shows typically and don't pay much attention to me anyway. SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!!

Go over to Theme Shows and then hit the No Demo Show and check out what Rae does....it's awesome!

black licorice supposedly helps too

I would go with the I woke up feeling a little under the weather... I think it would be best if you helped with the food. Do Apple berry salsa, have hubby prebake chips before show and just do the fruit interactive of course.

Try cola syrup.

2 words --- SEA BANDS!!!! You know, the hideously ugly little things you wear on your wrists to prevent sea sickness?!?!They work. I was soooooo nauseated when preggo with DD. Nothing worked. Not ginger all, not crackers, nothing.Smell was a HUGE trigger for me, so when I'd have to change my twin DS's diapers I'd hold a baby wipe over my nose & mouth with 1 one hand & change the diapers with the other.
Sea Bands didn't stop the nausea, but they certainly reduced the # of times I became physically ill.Apparently, motion sickness is the most similar ailment (physiologically) to "morning" sickness.
Sea Bands are definitely worth a try & they are not expensive, You should be able to get them at the pharmacy along side ear plugs, pill containers, etc.

ChefBeckyD said:
Ugh!

I was so sick when I was pregnant - all day sickness!

I found out I was pregnant the end of Oct. (that explained the flu that wouldn't go away!) and for Nov. & Dec., I did Batter Bowl Gift Shows. I would bring the batter bowl brownies layered in a bowl, and hand it off to the host when I got to the show. She would mix it up, and pop it in the oven in a stone, so that when everyone got there, they could smell it. I would be in the living room with a table set up - and would show everyone how to layer the brownies in the batter bowl (then have it ready for the next show) and give them recipes and other ideas for batter bowl gifts. Then, I would go over other gift giving ideas, pass out catalogs, explain the check out process, and set up to take orders. They could go into the kitchen and help themselves to a brownie and ice cream.

That's a great idea!

Jenni said:
I would go with the I woke up feeling a little under the weather... I think it would be best if you helped with the food. Do Apple berry salsa, have hubby prebake chips before show and just do the fruit interactive of course.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Plan on everything going well, and if you start to feel bad, tell her you don't feel well and she and your guests will surely take over. If you happen to be having a good morning, do the show as usual. I wouldn't tell her ahead of your closer friends because they probably will not understand.

OT, I started taking my prenatal vitamins at night so I would be asleep when they started to make me feel bad. That helped me a lot.

I would just try to re-schedule if you REALLY think that you couldn't confide in the Host without her telling others. OR could you ask the Host to JUST have your PC recipe ONLY??? (hopefully that wouldn't be rude)

SeaBands (although in a short sleeve shirt, those are obvious)
black licorice
lemon water
eating small meals
ginger ale
peppermint
Dr. prescribed anti-nausea medicine (you DON'T have to be sick ALL the time)
Tums (they have Calcium in them anyways!)
toast
saltines

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I wish you BEST OF LUCK! :)

You guys are AWESOME...really your ideas and suggestions are a tremendous help to me! I am dying to get advice from my girlfriends here, but of course am sworn to secrecy until a safer time. So this is wonderful! Not that you aren't all now honorary girlfriends too but it is a little different online, right? I love (and tolerate) peppermint, so will use that tip, plus will definitely change vitamins to night time. I have scheduled an appt with my Dr, but you know how they are when you first start out it is like 2 weeks away. I debated asking the hostess to delay show a few weeks, but the other "Part II" to the story is that we are putting our house on the market and will be SWAMPED with tasks to get it ready/showings, etc. Because you know, life wasn't stressful enough, right? We had been discussing selling it for bigger digs, then the baby news just made it that more important. Especially when I started listing off to him all the baby paraphenalia we'll need. (He is 20 years older than me and not wise to today's ways of baby needs!!) So Bless you my friends for your advice and support!!! I think I will suck it up and do it on the scheduled day and use batter bowls plus the potato demo idea. The good thing is these ladies all know each other really well and will be visiting so they won't be glued to my every move. Woo!

unfortunately, when I was pregnant, I didn't do any shows after the first month because my morning, noon and night sickness was so bad. I got set off by the smell of vanialla, gasoline, and french fries. good luck to you.

Warning!! A lot of girl talk!
Luv2bake said:

Luv2bake said:
Well if the flu also makes your boobs hurt then I'm all set for an alibi! Yeah I think I'm going to end up being MIA and just leaving them catalogs, maybe some early Christmas ideas etc.

I just wanted to say something here.... seems you are a understandably nervous about your pregnancy and not wanting to tell your friends until later is a good idea. I have been down this path. I miscarried in my 2nd pregnancy, but I have 2 things to try to help comfort you! 1 is your sore boobs that hurt so bad!!~ I had that with my first pregnancy, my DS, This is how I knew I was pregnant! With my 2nd pregnancy, I didn't have any signs, only no period, then I lost that baby in my 9 th week. 3rd pregancy, my DD, I was so freaking sick!~ from about 3 1/2 4 weeks along it started and it stayed through A LOT of my pregnancy. I have a dear friend who is a nurse and she is a Christian friend of mine, who prayed with me and helped me through my miscarriage and then really rallied up a group of girls from her church (which was where my son's daycare was at too) and prayed over me at my show with her (where I was not feeling good at all at when I was doing the show BTW!!) And she told me that sore boobs and morning sickness were wonderful signs of a healthy strong pregnancy because it many plenty of the pregnancy hormones were pumping through me!
And I remembered that through my whole pregnancy because I wouldn't trade being sick, because in the long run it was a comfort because I knew I was TRUELY pregnant! LOL! I had placentia previa with my DD, found out when I was about 14 weeks along and had just made it into the 2nd trimester. I remember going to the restroom and finding blood and being so scared! But a few things kept me calm, I had been sick all day! and the blood was bright red and not dark red, like a period. I went to the ER and even had a lady who was new who couldn't find the heart beat!!! But she told me that and said she was calling someone who knew what she was doing, that lady put the monitor on my tummy and "bam" there it was! A stong fast hearbeat! I said "Thankyou! That is all I need to hear, I will go home put my feet up and not move the rest of the weekend!" I went in the following monday and that is when I was diagnosed with Placentia Previa! That condition was no picnic but, I had a strong and healthy baby girl and she and her brother are my world! And I just wanted to let you know that the symptoms that you are describing are fabulous news! And just put your pregnancy and faith in God's hands and you will be just fine!

Oh and I second the peppermint idea from Becky! I lived on it for the first 4-5 months!! It's the only way I kept my pregnancy a secret from the other girls in the office because I didn't want to announce it until later! Then I was forced to announce it at 13 weeks because of light duty/bed rest I was put on!
Peppermint is good!!!!! Works really well!;)

Cathy- you are awesome. It sounds like you have really been through a lot and know exactly how I am feeling. I appreciate your openness and advice!! I guess I will celebrate my sore boobs and urpy stomach from now on. hee hee You know a few years ago I volunteered in the NICU/Antepartum dept at a local hospital, and remembered thinking how dedicated those Moms who were put on bedrest (especially those sent there at like, week 20 or so) and who forged ahead at any costs. I wondered where they got their strength and determination to lie there day by day, week by week. Literally- many could not move from lying flat on their back. Of course for many they had their strong Faith and Family to help them, but gosh now being pregnant myself I can see where the drive to protect the little one comes from. Even from my 4.5th week! I've even changed my driving habits...not easy to do when you're 37. Anyway, I have written "Respect the Hormones!!" on our dry erase board in the kitchen for all of us to remember (Me, DH, dog and cats).

Too funny! Respect the hormones!!! I love it!!
I too was one of those people on bed rest for a VERY LONG TIME! I continued to work light duty until March 1st ( I was a receptionist - office job), I originally found out that I had Placentia Previa right before Christmas) then I had got up in the morning and had some blood. So I went to the doctor. I asked him if I could work a couple hours a day, and he said I could do whatever I wanted to do but if I was his wife or daughter, the answer would be "hell no!" So I gave medical notice and was on bed rest at home for 2 more months. I woke up in the morning on May 1 to a major bleed but it was different like my water had broke too. (luckily it had not broke!) My DH rushed me to the hospital, and I didn't come back home until June 10th! I was in the hospital 36 hours shy of 6 full weeks! I had my daughter by c-section on the 8th of June in 2000. Ironically, (and it still gives me chills!) I woke up on June 8th of 1999 to brownish color blood and needed to wear a pad, went to the doctor and found out I miscarried! So my daughter's birthday has quite the meaning to me. I tell her all the time that all though I love the baby that I lost, that she replaced my sadness with Joy for the date of June 8th! I took it as a sign from God, and I almost audilbly heard God tell me "See, I told you I'd take care of you and everything would be all right!" I put all my faith into Him and I had a safe delivery and healthy baby. God is the ONLY thing that pulled me through, and he put PC in my life right before I got pregnant and the girls from PC were the only ones that came to the hospital besides my DH, son and DH's sister, mom, dad, and basically that side of the family (mine were in california). So, Yes I remember not being able to do a dang thing! and that was hard, I had a 4 year old son too! Crazy times, but God brought me through it! And let me tell you what spiritual giants my kids are! They know God is the reason they are both here, because my pregnancy with my son was just as crazy, I just didn't know until after I delivered him just how high risk I was!! But that is another post, another time! Talk about 2 kids that were meant to be and they are God's kids and they know it!

Related to Morning Sickness at Show --Help!

1. How should I explain to my customer that I can't cook at her show due to morning sickness?

You can simply let her know that you are experiencing morning sickness and cannot handle being around food at the moment. You can offer to talk about new products and showcase them without cooking. Alternatively, you can also suggest a themed show that does not involve cooking, such as a "no-bake" or "make-ahead" menu.

2. Is there a specific theme show I can do if I cannot cook?

Yes, you can suggest a theme that does not involve cooking, such as a "no-bake" or "make-ahead" menu. This will allow you to still showcase products and engage with the guests without having to handle food.

3. When should I tell my customer about my pregnancy?

It is ultimately up to you when you feel comfortable sharing your pregnancy news. However, it is recommended to wait until at least 8-10 weeks into your pregnancy before announcing to avoid any potential complications or issues.

4. Can I ask my customer to keep my pregnancy a secret?

You can certainly ask your customer to keep your pregnancy news confidential until you are ready to announce it. You can explain to her that you have not yet shared the news with others and would appreciate her discretion.

5. What can I do if my customer insists on me cooking at her show?

If your customer insists on you cooking at her show, you can explain to her that you are experiencing morning sickness and cannot handle being around food at the moment. You can offer to still attend the show and talk about new products, but suggest that someone else handle the cooking. Alternatively, you can also politely decline the invitation and offer to reschedule for a later date when you are feeling better. Remember to prioritize your health and well-being during your pregnancy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Candice
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
magentablue
  • SherryLynn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • rchamelin