• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mispronouncing Santoku: The Answer Revealed!

In summary, the Santoku is a Japanese knife that can be used for three types of food: fish, meat, and vegetables. It is pronounced like the Japanese, SAN-toh-koo, and the display card for the knives will also have information on the back.
chefmelody
Here's an interesting tidbit you can use at your shows: I looked up Santoku and found that in Japanese, it means "three good things," referring to the three cutting tasks it performs: slicing, dicing and mincing. OR it can refer to it being for three types of food; fish, meat, and vegetables.I saw the Santoku at a meeting Sunday and it looks awesome. However, I think my directors are pronouncing the name of the Santoku wrong. It is pronounced like the Japanese, SAN-toh-koo, correct? They kept saying san-TOO-koh, as if it were spelled santuko... they said that was the way they heard it at conference, but I'm thinking that someone else was pronouncing it wrong! I speak a little Japanese, and I want to say it right, but if it is not pronounced like it is written, then I would like to know.EDIT: I found my own answer already! If anyone is interested, here it is:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+13252Apparently san-toh-koo is correct, but it has been mispronounced so often that san-too-koh is accepted as well.

Last edited:
chefmelody said:
Here's an interesting tidbit you can use at your shows: I looked up Santoku and found that in Japanese, it means "three good things," referring to the three cutting tasks it performs: slicing, dicing and mincing. OR it can refer to it being for three types of food; fish, meat, and vegetables.

This is what they told up at conference

I'm sure the display card for the knives will also give us some great info on the back plus the new product information guide will have tips to use for our shows.

My new products are supposed to arrive on Thursday :) I'm headed to the grocery tomorrow to buy lots of stuff to slice and dice!! I'll have to wait until August to play with the Santoku :(

dannyzmom said:
This is what they told up at conference

Ah, good to know! I wasn't at conference. :rolleyes:

Hi there!Thank you for sharing this interesting tidbit about the Santoku knife! As a fellow consultant, I always strive to provide accurate information to my clients, so I appreciate you bringing this up.You are correct, the correct pronunciation is san-toh-koo, as you found in your research. However, as with many words from other languages, it is common for them to be mispronounced or adapted in different regions. I'm glad you were able to find the correct pronunciation and can confidently share it with others.Thanks again for sharing and happy cooking with your new Santoku knife!Best,

1. What is a Santoku knife?

A Santoku knife is a versatile, multipurpose knife that originated in Japan. It typically has a shorter, wider blade compared to a traditional chef's knife and is designed for slicing, dicing, and mincing.

2. How do you pronounce Santoku?

Santoku is pronounced "sahn-toh-koo". The "u" at the end is not pronounced, and the emphasis is on the second syllable.

3. Why is it important to pronounce Santoku correctly?

Pronouncing Santoku correctly shows respect for the Japanese culture and its culinary traditions. It also helps in understanding the origins and proper use of the knife.

4. What happens if I mispronounce Santoku?

Mispronouncing Santoku can lead to confusion and miscommunication, especially when discussing the knife with others. It also shows a lack of knowledge and respect for the Japanese culture.

5. How can I remember the correct pronunciation of Santoku?

A helpful tip is to break down the word into syllables and practice saying each one slowly and then together. You can also listen to audio clips or videos of the correct pronunciation to familiarize yourself with the sound.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
babywings76
  • Christ Follower
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
straitfan
  • lockhartkitchen
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies