• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mileage Rates for 2010 and 2011

In summary, the IRS has announced that the mileage rate for business deductions will change from .50 per mile to .51 per mile on January 1, 2012.
esavvymom
Staff member
In case you haven't looked it up:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=216048,00.html 0.50 per mile (business)
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=232017,00.html: 0.51 per mile (business)

What???? They went DOWN? That stinks. Oh well, at least it is still a deduction.

The year that gas prices were sky-high, yes, it was up higher. it changes every year.

I love how you guys are complaining about "sky high" gas prices, come to Canada and you'll regret saying that lol

I just filled up my car at $1.12/litre. Almost 4 litres to a gallon, do the math! $$$$. I love crossing the border and filling up there, soooo cheap :(

esavvymom said:
The year that gas prices were sky-high, yes, it was up higher. it changes every year.

If they keep going up as predicted, I'm sure it may adjust to a different rate mid year. I think they did that in 09.

Um, am I reading this wrong? It looks like it went UP by a penny for 2011, not down... ?

pattybrady said:
Um, am I reading this wrong? It looks like it went UP by a penny for 2011, not down... ?

But it went down from 2009, which we would have filed last year.

I believe 2009 was .485. But I'm not in front of my tax info from last year right now.

The mileage tax deduction rate was I think $0.55 in 2009. I think it was a bit higher before that when gas was VERY high (for us...yes, CHEAP compared to Canada and the rest of the world...;) Sorry!). Maybe the increase for 2011's deduction rate is do the increase in the gas again, who knows.It is what it is.

Can someone do a quick refresher on how to change the rate in PP3 - I forgot and it is quicker to ask on here :)

when you are in an Expense window- to the right of the drop down box where you select the category is an "Edit Categories". T hat's where you can select the category and make the changes. Explore a little. :)

Related to Mileage Rates for 2010 and 2011

What are the mileage rates for 2010 and 2011?

The mileage rates for 2010 and 2011 are different. In 2010, the standard mileage rate for business use of a vehicle was 50 cents per mile. In 2011, it increased to 51 cents per mile. The medical and moving mileage rates for both years were 16.5 cents per mile, while the charitable mileage rate was 14 cents per mile for both years.

Can I use the 2011 mileage rate for business expenses in 2010?

No, the mileage rate for business use of a vehicle is determined by the year in which the expenses were incurred. The 2011 mileage rate cannot be used for business expenses incurred in 2010.

Are there any exceptions to using the standard mileage rate?

Yes, there are certain situations where the standard mileage rate cannot be used. For example, if you have already claimed a depreciation deduction for the vehicle, or if you use five or more vehicles at the same time for your business, you must use the actual expenses method instead of the standard mileage rate.

Are there different mileage rates for different types of vehicles?

No, the standard mileage rate is the same for all types of vehicles, including cars, vans, trucks, and SUVs. However, if you use a motorcycle for business purposes, you can use the standard mileage rate of 51 cents per mile for 2010 and 55.5 cents per mile for 2011.

Do I need to keep track of my mileage in order to claim it on my taxes?

Yes, in order to claim the mileage deduction on your taxes, you must keep accurate records of your business mileage. This includes the date, purpose, and number of miles driven for each trip. It is important to have a mileage log or other documentation to support your deduction in case of an audit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • byrd1956
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
TJMagoo
  • baychef