• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?-

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to handle a situation where the chairperson of the event was expecting a commission and host benefits. They were expecting $536.50, but ended up making $625 due to the fact that they paid for the booth and gave the host special.
pampchefsarah
Gold Member
I'll try to keep this short and simple (hah!).

At the last minute I was invited to participate in a vendor fair/fundraiser. The cost is 20% of the total sales. Hey, no problem, no one shows up for these things, there'll be no sales, MAYBE I'll get a lead or two. If there are at least enough to submit as a show, I'll take the host benefits.

Well, there actually were sales, and I even got a booking for the 21st of this month (woohoo, I've never had such a close-in booking!). Anyway, the event was held at a woman's house, and at the end she went around to all the booths to place her order. Well, she was interested in the Stemware, and I mentioned the Host Special. As of right now, the show is sitting at $536.50, and when I call her tomorrow to close the show, she's going to expect the commission AND the host benefits. How should I handle this? I am having almost everything direct shipped, so I could have her and the one other order going to her delivered to me instead, then make a special trip to drop them at her house, so I can take advantage of the free and half price, but that's deceitful. Should I just bless and release, and be happy I have a show, and that with the other things going on this month I should hit at least $750?

I would offer her the host benefit- it is her fundraiser after all. Though it would have been nice if you could have purchased some SA at 60% off, I would do the right thing by the chairperson and offer it to her. She will be appreciative.It sounds like you're planning on submitting this as a cooking show? If so, I would submit it as a fundraiser instead. PC will give her 10% on the sales, and you can give her the other 10%. That way you're still making 5% and not giving up your whole commission.

Unless I missed something, I would just stick to the original agreement and give her a percentage of your sales (or the host benefits). I think giving her the host benefits and money would be double dipping. If you pay her AND give her the host benefits, where do you win? If you tke the benefits you can at least restock or get prizes for upcoming shows. This was a vendor event, not a show. You are paying to be there.

Or enter it as a fundraiser, let PC cut the check and let it be.

Kara, you're right, I hadn't thought of the fact HO will be paying 10%, so I'm only losing 10%. I'll just tell her it's my first fundraiser (which is true), and I forgot the chairperson doesn't get the usual host benefits.

Thanks, Anne, for your advice, too. Although I love being able to help people through PC, I do need to at least cover my expenses. And, with a big PC credit card bill coming due in a couple of weeks, giving money away is not a good thing!

I'm confused. Why would they get the host benefits TOO? If it was a PC fundraiser, they'd be getting 10% and she could get the host special. So if they told YOU 20%, then it's not a PC fundraiser, but a charge for the booth. You are paying the 20% of sales and you would keep everything else (regardless of if you submit it as a fundraiser or not). How did you mention the host special? Like she should do a show this month or that she could take the host special? Is she thinking just that? Or are you sure she's thinking all of the benefits?Don't let her walk over you. Respect yourself and your business. People often try to get out the most they can, not thinking that they are taking from YOU. So talk to her. According to your original agreement, you are were committed to 20% of sales only, which is pretty steep if it's not a cause you feel strongly about.

Sarah, would even go as so far as to tell her that PC will donate 15%, which I believe they do once you hit $500 in sales. Tell her you are new and didn't know how it worked, and that with it being a fundraiser, you don't even make your full commission percentage. She gets what she gets.

It's actually at $600 so it is 10%. Just don't want you to misspeak. Good luck!

Right, if the sales are $600, they get 15%. They are pretty close!

I'd be willing to make up the difference to make it 20%. 10 or 15% from PC and 5 or 10% from me. I make that kind of deal all the time. I don't like making a profit from a non profit organization. I usually give my 15% commision.

Could you submit it as a regular Cooking Show and then give her your 20% commission from the show and the Monthly Host Special, and then you get the Host Benefits (free product?)? If you set it up as an official PC Fundraiser, that's all she'd get ANYWAY, and you'd get nothing but the sales total. This way, you are giving her the same thing, you still get the sales, AND you get $90 free product and a couple half-price items.I'd tell her it was a Fundraiser and that's all she gets with fundraisers. If she wants the host benefits, then tell her that she can then choose to take the full Host Benefits, but not the 20%. (Maybe you could offer 10% at that point- but YOU have to control your business. Tell her that she's taking everything you are making off this event. Some people seem to think we make more than we do.)

I don't think it's deceitful to have the items shipped to you and then deliver them so you can get the free and 1/2 price items. I have most of my shows delivered to my house and then I deliver the sorted orders to the host. Just tell her that's how you do things, that it's an added service you offer.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT, give her everything from this show. Like it's said above you have two options: submit it as a fundraiser or a show.

If you submit it as a fundraiser, make sure that she knows she needs to get to the next level in order to get 15% and then you can donate 5% of your commission to cover the rest. She can also get the host special as being the chair member. But you also need to remember that a check from PC cannot be cut out to a person, it has to go to an organization or what ever. I don't know what exactly her fundraiser is for.

If you submit it as a show, you would give her your 20% commission (hopefully you have other shows this month so you'll actually get more than 20% on her show). From there you can choose to give her the host special if she pays the 60% off price but you keep the products from it!

PC or Sarah didn't make the rules for the cost of the booth. If Sarah wanted to work the booth, it was going to cost her 20%. Sarah always has the option of submitting the show either way, but either way, it's going to cost her 20%. It all depends on what's going to make it come out ahead for Sarah.

Ok, the chairman of the fundraiser CAN get the host special..... just not the host benefits.

Chef Bobby said:
PC or Sarah didn't make the rules for the cost of the booth. If Sarah wanted to work the booth, it was going to cost her 20%. Sarah always has the option of submitting the show either way, but either way, it's going to cost her 20%. It all depends on what's going to make it come out ahead for Sarah.

I agree, she owes 20% but not all the host benefits too if she turns it in as a show.

If she does it as a show, she should be the host. I think I'm repeating what you said.

Sarah - you're definitely going to have to let us know how you chose to work this one out in the end!! :)

I'm sorry!! It's funny, because I wrote a response several times, but could never finish because of the phone calls I was getting from this host and one of the 'guests.'

Turns out the host/chairperson was fine with me getting the free product, and she took the 1/2 price and host special (I didn't want these, anyway, as I don't want to spend more money). I'm having the product (which is not already being direct shipped), delivered to my house so I can take out my stuff, and separate the other orders for her, then I'll bring them to her house.

One guest needed to give me a credit card number, so we finally got to a point where we could both be on the phone to give/receive the information. This was after I spoke to the host about the above, and told her the show total is a little over $500, so once I receive my commission in December, I'll mail a money order for the 20%. Well, when speaking to the guest, she asked how much the show total was. When I told her, and how much the Rescue would receive, she paused for a minute, and said "that's interesting, we were told something different." I explained I was told the cost was 20% of the show, yada yada, and she 'no, that's not it. We suspect (the host) of taking jewelry instead of some of the percentage.' Hmm, interesting. I almost said something about the 1/2 off/Host special, but decided a) she still had to pay for that, so it's not like she was stealing, and she didn't ask for any 'kickback' in lieu of the cost, and b) it's not my business to blab/spread gossip. The money order will be made out to the organization, not the chairperson, and that's the best I can do to be sure it goes to the right place. Plus, I don't know she did anything wrong, even this guest was going on hearsay.

Well, I am thrilled it worked out for you! And, hey, geting a little gossip is always a plus! ;)

What is "Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?"

"Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?" is a book written by Mel Robbins, a best-selling author and motivational speaker. It is a self-help book that focuses on overcoming fear and self-doubt in order to reach your full potential.

What are some key takeaways from "Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?"

Some key takeaways from "Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?" include the power of self-awareness and taking responsibility for your thoughts and actions, the importance of taking action even when you feel afraid, and the value of self-compassion and forgiveness towards yourself.

How does "Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?" relate to Pampered Chef?

While "Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?" is not directly related to Pampered Chef, the book's message of overcoming self-doubt and taking action can be applied in any aspect of life, including your career at Pampered Chef. It can help you become a more confident and successful consultant.

Who would benefit from reading "Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?"

Anyone who struggles with self-doubt, fear, or limiting beliefs would benefit from reading "Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?". It is also great for those looking for motivation and guidance in reaching their goals and fulfilling their potential.

Is "Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?" available in different formats?

Yes, "Me and My Big Mouth - What Would You Do?" is available in paperback, eBook, and audiobook formats. It can be purchased online or at your local bookstore.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • pamperedberry
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • MaryannNic