• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mayonaise / Miracle Whip / Jello / Kitchen Guy :)

In summary, Rebecca and others like Miracle Whip better than mayonnaise, while others like both. Tangy zip is a phrase that Rebecca may have heard on the old Kraft Perry Como show. KG and his gang were kicked out of the Baking Today thread, and Rebecca started a new thread to continue the conversation. Rebecca does not like anything in her Jello, but will try Duke's if it's available where she lives. DH likes mayonnaise on his sandwiches, but also likes Miracle Whip and other variations of mayonnaise. There is a PC recipe that calls for salad dressing (MW) rather than mayonnaise
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
LMAO Since I kicked KG and his gang out of the Baking Today thread I just thought I'd start you all a new place to continue your conversation!

Carry on.....I believe you were talking about weather or not to include crunchy things in the jello and if mayo or MW (it grosses me out to say the words) is better....oh yeah, there was definately alcohol involved at some point....

I think you spelled mayo wrong... (that's why I just call it mayo...) ;)

janetupnorth said:
I think you spelled mayo wrong... (that's why I just call it mayo...) ;)
everyone out here makes spelling errors - thought I'd join that club too ;)

Well, I was going to stay quiet on the other thread, but I guess I'll pipe in.I grew up on Miracle Whip and still like it (on some things), but I also like mayonnaise (on some things). To me they are very different flavors and are not really interchangeable (unless you just prefer MW on your sandwich, then it is either/or).The tangy zip of Miracle Whip is needed sometimes (IMO)! To me, mayonnaise is mayonnaise and when a recipe calls for mayonnaise, I use mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip.:D

Last edited:
Oh, yes, and as far as Jello is concerned, I DO NOT like ANYTHING in my Jello.

Wow.... did not think I was going to stirr up so much conversation about a condiment! LOL!!!

One of the few things that I do not like about being in Minnesota is the whole "Jello Salad" thing....Who in their right mind would ruin such a simple yummy treat with all that stuff! I am a New England girl and we just did not do that!

When my in-laws serve it it is all I can do to not gag as I simply say "no thank you"

I also like both MW and Mayo. They have different applications and are NOT interchangeable in recipes.

Tangy zest?Tangy zest??Rebecca, you sound like you're reading copy from the old Kraft Perry Como show.
67302.gif
I haven't heard that phrase in years - and the last time was probably in a Kraft television spot. (You don't work for Kraft, do you?)ETA: Rebecca, I'm not laughing at you - I'm laughing at that phrase. How delightful of you to use "tangy" and "zest" which are two words I don't think anyone else around here would consider using - especially together. I'm going to make an effort to use both of those words sometime tomorrow!

Last edited:
Alright, you caught me. I secretly work for Kraft.

Not really, but how else do you describe Miracle Whip but with the words "tangy zest"? ;)

Okay, how about ****y and ****?(CS probably won't let me say that.)

MW is essentially mayo with some extras: cider vinegar and sugar. There was a PC recipe a couple of seasons back that called for salad dressing (MW), not mayo, and included a tip for making it from mayo if that was all someone had. Except for that recipe, I've never been a fan of MW myself. Blech.Of course, as a kid, I never liked mayo either. Probably because mom would put it on sandwiches for lunch, with meat that I couldn't stand in a sandwich (like cold meatloaf), and I hated how it would ooze out when biting into the sandwich. :yuck: I'm still not in the habit of using it, except in recipes.

I could eat Hellman's right out of the jar.(Ssssshhhh! What's that sound I hear? Oh, that's just my arteries slamming shut.)
shock.gif

I didn't see the other thread but I need to chime in too.
I agree with Rebecca (tangy zip girl!:D ) that some things call for MW and some need mayo.
My sandwiches need mayo yet i like MW in tuna, or pasta/potatoe salad.
DH likes MW in/on everything

And the score so far reads...Tangy zip: 2TKG: 0

That would be:
TZ: 2
TKG: 0 Although I just realized that I haven't seen a commercial for MW in ages. I know they still make it, but they haven't been advertising it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I could eat Hellman's right out of the jar.
shock.gif
Do they sell Duke's up there in the northern tundra? If so, that puts all other mayos to shame!

And I will admit - I like to use MW in macaroni salad :eek:

I just realized that the title of this thread could be construed as something a little kinky. It needs to have a disclaimer like the "Caution: dirty topic" thread. :D

I have tried to explain to my hubby and 16yr old Niece about the "tangy Zest" Dh just says "ok whatever" My niece looked at me like I had 3 heads! I asked why..... her reply... "what does Tangy mean... I never heard of the word" Keep in mind we are in minnesota which I considder a "flavor resistent" state.

I like MW on tuna when I add chopped sweet pickles.
If I want onions and celery in my tuna its Mayo.
For potato salad its MW.
On the rare occasions I will eat egg salad its MW.
I like either MW or Mayo on meat sandwiches but it has to be thin! My mom glops it on so it squishes out the sides... IK! That's too much!!!

We are a family divided.

I HATE :yuck: MW, and only use Mayonnaise, but DH, and DS, love that "tangy zip".

I use Mrs Clarks Real Mayonnaise. I get it at a health food store, and it is real mayonnaise. When you read the ingredient list, there are only 4-5 ingredients. It's so yummy.

If I can't get Mrs Clarks, then the only other kind I like is Hellmans.

I think I prefer MW, but will use both interchangeably (sp?) I really have never thought about the differences between the two. I guess I will need to make some experiments for a taste test and see what we come up with.

Oh, the crunchy jello... My DGMA for some reason thought it was my dad's favorite thing. Whenever we saw her she made it, orange jello with fruit ****tail and celery......makes me gag just thinking about it:yuck:

chefann said:
That would be:
TKG: 0

Although I just realized that I haven't seen a commercial for MW in ages. I know they still make it, but they haven't been advertising it.
I suppose MW advertising died the same day http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9406E1DD1238F931A35751C0A96F958260.

His voice was so smooth, he even made Velveeta seem palatable.

If you've never heard his smooth voice, you can hear him on a WWII newsreel that's up on YouTube.

chefann said:
I just realized that the title of this thread could be construed as something a little kinky. It needs to have a disclaimer like the "Caution: dirty topic" thread. :D
KG's Funhouse?

I had to read this and catch up...I figured by now Paulette's use of the word "condiments" would get more mileage than "tangy zip"... :rolleyes:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

I'm with you!!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I can not stand MW, it's not even allowed to enter my kitchen:yuck:

Okay, gonna add my 2 cents now:) ...NOTHING should be added to Jello, crunchy, soft or otherwise. (of course that's IMHO) It's just not right.:yuck:

And KG, I'm with you...MW is nasty, nasty, nasty:yuck: ...only Hellman's will do.:)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

(Ssssshhhh! What's that sound I hear? Oh, that's just my arteries slamming shut.)
shock.gif

Oh KG... you are my kind of guy!!!! And yes, it HAS TO BE Hellman's. As for Mircle Whip.... yuck.

Just my 2 cents on this most important topic.

kathijenkins said:
Okay, gonna add my 2 cents now:) ...NOTHING should be added to Jello, crunchy, soft or otherwise. (of course that's IMHO) It's just not right.:yuck:

And KG, I'm with you...MW is nasty, nasty, nasty:yuck: ...only Hellman's will do.:)

Another 2 cents worth here.. I do have a love of pineapple in cherry jello. Don't know why, but I like that. Has to be crushed pineapple and cherry jello. Nothing else. And esp not grated carrots in any flavor of jello!

Now I am going back to my Hellman's sandwich!

I guess some threads just refuse to go away......LMAO!

For all you Hellman's lovers - you should try Duke's mayo - YUMMO! Not sure if it's available outside of the south though.

Duke's?Sounds like it comes with a built-in Hazzard.

pamperedlinda said:
Do they sell Duke's up there in the northern tundra? If so, that puts all other mayos to shame!

OMG Duke's is THE BEST mayo!!:sing:

We can't get it up here in MI, but everytime I go down to NC to visit my grandmother, I get a few jars to bring home. Mmmmmm....

As for MW....BLECH....HATE the stuff! I can taste it no matter WHAT it is in....yuk yuk....:yuck: Hate that "Tangy Zip"

I use mayo. Hellman's

( Oh and the reason I have to get a fewjars of dukes rather than a jar is because my grandpa has the best chopped slaw recipe , and it doesn't taste right without Duke's in it. I make it a lot of it in the summer for picnics and bonfires!)

Last edited:
I have never heard of Duke's. I am one of the few that LOVES MW. Can't eat anything else... well unless I don't know what it is and then I don't seem to have an issue, I am sure it is that whole mind over matter thing!

I don't like either - or salad dressing, for that matter. I like butter or margarine (used interchangeably) on ham sandwiches or shredded cheddar on my salads for accent flavor.

As far as jello - I posted this in the other thread - it's best when you mix the flavors. 2 raspberry, 1 cranberry, and 1 lemon all together are my favorite.

It would taste better with a dollop of Mayo on it.

OMG I hate, hate, HATE MW!!!! YUCK!Oh and I also am not a fan of Jell-o...just jell-o...ick

My DH family puts milk and sugar on their jello. They call it "poor man's whip cream". They really are a strange bunch though!

rennea said:
My DH family puts milk and sugar on their jello. They call it "poor man's whip cream". They really are a strange bunch though!
sounds yucky

rennea said:
Hijack!

This is one of the pet peeves I have with my DH's family. Not that they put weird things on gelatin, but that they always refer to whipped cream as "whip cream." And they don't understand that it's cream that's been whipped. They think that Cool Whip is whipped cream (or whip cream in their vernacular), and get a deer-in-the-headlights look on their face when you tell them a recipe that calls for whipping cream. And forget even trying to explain the difference between the topping in a spray can that's made from soybeans and the one in a can that's made from real cream. :rolleyes:

End hijack. You may have the thread back now.

pamperedlinda said:
sounds yucky

When we first moved in together I made jello and he turned around and put milk and sugar on it I though "run, run fast girl":eek:

His family is from Eastern Canada, we call them "newfee's" here in Western Canada (bit of an inside joke). We just concider them strange/backwards on this side of the country.:p

And they probably think the same about you. :)Doesn't every region of any country have a little rivalry with another?

chefann said:
Hijack!

This is one of the pet peeves I have with my DH's family. Not that they put weird things on gelatin, but that they always refer to whipped cream as "whip cream." And they don't understand that it's cream that's been whipped. They think that Cool Whip is whipped cream (or whip cream in their vernacular), and get a deer-in-the-headlights look on their face when you tell them a recipe that calls for whipping cream. And forget even trying to explain the difference between the topping in a spray can that's made from soybeans and the one in a can that's made from real cream. :rolleyes:

End hijack. You may have the thread back now.

HA! HA! my in-law's don't even buy whipped cream, just the crap that comes frozen (cool whip). They call it "the good stuff". Can you believe it? I can't stand cool whip:yuck: They must hate coming to my house and my "cheap" whipping cream;)

chefann said:
And they probably think the same about you. :)

Doesn't every region of any country have a little rivalry with another?

Ever seen Trailer Park Boys? It's made in Eastern Canada. My in-law's don't know why we find it so funny:eek:

(to my friends on the East Coast- I am just joking;) )

Yep. And then it gets worse- when I try to explain the differences, they start calling whipped cream "whipping cream." They don't get it. "-Ing" indicates that it's heavy cream, not yet whipped. "-Ed" means that someone has whipped it (past tense). Argh!!

rennea said:
Ever seen Trailer Park Boys? It's made in Eastern Canada. My in-law's don't know why we find it so funny:eek:

(to my friends on the East Coast- I am just joking;) )
Nope - haven't seen that. But there was a South Park episode that picked on many regions of Canada, with extra picking for Newfoundland. :)

chefann said:
And they probably think the same about you. :)

Doesn't every region of any country have a little rivalry with another?
States certainly do. To wit...(so to speak)...

Q: What's the difference between a Cheesehead and a s#@!head?
A: The Illinois state line.

Q: Why don't they make Kool Aid in Minnesota?
A: They can't figure out how to get two quarts of water into that little envelope.

And my favorite...

If the state of Iowa ceded the bottom two rows of counties to Missouri, it would raise the average IQ of both states.

(There's also a great one about artificial turf and cheerleaders but you have to draw a line somewhere.)

Oh, spare me the outrage - they're just jokes.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
.....If the state of Iowa ceded the bottom two rows of counties to Missouri, it would raise the average IQ of both states.
LMAO! I'll admit that I had to think that one through though.

rebeccastt said:
Oh, yes, and as far as Jello is concerned, I DO NOT like ANYTHING in my Jello.

I love a cup of vanilla ice cream melted into the liquid while it is still warm, and it creates two layers...the top is fluffy and airy from the ice cream and the bottom is regular jello! Mmmmm

Kitchen Diva said:
I love a cup of vanilla ice cream melted into the liquid while it is still warm, and it creates two layers...the top is fluffy and airy from the ice cream and the bottom is regular jello! Mmmmm
Just personal preference, but ick!
melted ice cream, warm liquid, I think I just vomited a little. :yuck:

BTW, this is so amusing that this thread has gone on this long! heheh!

Actually, it died six weeks ago, but it was resuscitated yesterday.

And just for that I'll keep it going...

chefann said:
That would be:
TKG: 0

Although I just realized that I haven't seen a commercial for MW in ages. I know they still make it, but they haven't been advertising it.

Unfortunately they still make it. I don't care for it at all...

I didn't even like mayo until I was in my mid 20's.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Duke's?

Sounds like it comes with a built-in Hazzard.
MMMmmmmmmmmmm....(drooling) Luke Duke (drool) Mmmmm

<h2>Question 1: What is the difference between mayonnaise and Miracle Whip?</h2><p>Mayonnaise is made with oil, egg yolks, and vinegar or lemon juice, while Miracle Whip is made with oil, egg whites, and additional ingredients such as sugar and spices. This results in a slightly sweeter and tangier taste for Miracle Whip compared to mayonnaise.</p><h2>Question 2: Can mayonnaise or Miracle Whip be substituted for each other in recipes?</h2><p>Yes, they can be substituted for each other in most recipes, but the end result may have a slightly different taste and texture. It is best to use the one specified in the recipe for the most accurate result.</p><h2>Question 3: Is Miracle Whip considered a healthier alternative to mayonnaise?</h2><p>Miracle Whip has fewer calories and fat than mayonnaise, but it also contains more sugar and additives. It is a personal preference whether one is considered healthier than the other.</p><h2>Question 4: Can Jello be made with alcohol?</h2><p>Yes, Jello can be made with alcohol, but it is important to use less water than usual to compensate for the liquid added by the alcohol. It is also important to note that the alcohol may not fully set, resulting in a softer Jello texture.</p><h2>Question 5: Can crunchy ingredients be added to Jello?</h2><p>Yes, crunchy ingredients such as nuts or fruits can be added to Jello for texture and flavor. It is best to chop the ingredients into small pieces and gently fold them into the Jello mixture before it sets.</p>

Related to Mayonaise / Miracle Whip / Jello / Kitchen Guy :)

Question 1: What is the difference between mayonnaise and Miracle Whip?

Mayonnaise is made with oil, egg yolks, and vinegar or lemon juice, while Miracle Whip is made with oil, egg whites, and additional ingredients such as sugar and spices. This results in a slightly sweeter and tangier taste for Miracle Whip compared to mayonnaise.

Question 2: Can mayonnaise or Miracle Whip be substituted for each other in recipes?

Yes, they can be substituted for each other in most recipes, but the end result may have a slightly different taste and texture. It is best to use the one specified in the recipe for the most accurate result.

Question 3: Is Miracle Whip considered a healthier alternative to mayonnaise?

Miracle Whip has fewer calories and fat than mayonnaise, but it also contains more sugar and additives. It is a personal preference whether one is considered healthier than the other.

Question 4: Can Jello be made with alcohol?

Yes, Jello can be made with alcohol, but it is important to use less water than usual to compensate for the liquid added by the alcohol. It is also important to note that the alcohol may not fully set, resulting in a softer Jello texture.

Question 5: Can crunchy ingredients be added to Jello?

Yes, crunchy ingredients such as nuts or fruits can be added to Jello for texture and flavor. It is best to chop the ingredients into small pieces and gently fold them into the Jello mixture before it sets.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
kdangel518
Back