• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making Sourdough Bread: A Beginner's Guide

but if I can't, I'll squeeze them in. :)Thanks for the clarification!So, to summarize, you want to make a bowl of salsa using cilantro, a jalepeno pepper, a small onion, and garlic. You then add cherry tomatoes, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 TBSP SW seasoning. You squeeze lime over the salsa with a citrus press. Thanks for providing a summary.
ChefPaulaB
I know that this has been talked about before, but I'm going to do it for the first time on Monday and want to be sure that I'm doing it right. Can someone break it down for me with the recipe. I really appreciate it! TIA!!!!

I copied this from here, so, I have no idea who to give credit to for writing it all out.

One bowl salsa
Place a bunch of cilantro in 2 qt. batter bowl, throw in a whole jalepeno pepper (or for milder version cut off top and de-seed), 1 small whole onion, 1 garlic clove peeled. Pass the bowl around and have the guests use the salad choppers to chop up salsa. Throw in some cherry tomatoes, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 TBSP SW seasoning. Chop a little more until tomotoes are chopped. Squeeze lime over salsa with citrus press.

janezapchef said:
I copied this from here, so, I have no idea who to give credit to for writing it all out.

One bowl salsa
Place a bunch of cilantro in 2 qt. batter bowl, throw in a whole jalepeno pepper (or for milder version cut off top and de-seed), 1 small whole onion, 1 garlic clove peeled. Pass the bowl around and have the guests use the salad choppers to chop up salsa. Throw in some cherry tomatoes, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 TBSP SW seasoning. Chop a little more until tomotoes are chopped. Squeeze lime over salsa with citrus press.

YUMM, the BEST Salsa Fresca EVER!:chef::D:thumbup:

For the cilantro, do you take the leaves off the stem or just stick the whole thing in there to chop? And can you use any kind of tomato, like Roma?

take the "leaves" of the cilantro, not the entire thing. Any tomatoes are fine but roma or grape are the best flavor in my opinion. ;)

Thank you so much! Can you do this in the stainless bowls or does it show it better in the bb? I prefer to carry my SS bowls they don't weigh as much...

Here is how I do it.

I throw in the cilantro - stems and all...because you can do that with cilantro.
then, I quarter a small onion and throw that in.
I quarter and seed the pepper and throw that in.
I press the garlic in with the garlic press. It's hard to get the garlic chopped, and it also shows the garlic press this way.

I pass that around and have everyone chop it - I use the small SS bowl.

Then I throw in a pint of GRAPE tomatoes, or 4 quartered Roma tomatoes. (I don't use cherry tomatoes - way too juicy and they squirt all over the place when you try to chop them!) and finish chopping.

After that, I press in juice from 1/2 of a lime, and add salt to taste.

I sell salad choppers, citrus presses, and garlic presses every time I do this!

Thank you! That sounds doable! I can't wait to try that at my lunch hour show on Monday! Thanks for sharing! That's the breakdown that I was looking for!

ChefBeckyD said:
Here is how I do it.

I throw in the cilantro - stems and all...because you can do that with cilantro.
then, I quarter a small onion and throw that in.
I quarter and seed the pepper and throw that in.
I press the garlic in with the garlic press. It's hard to get the garlic chopped, and it also shows the garlic press this way.

I pass that around and have everyone chop it - I use the small SS bowl.

Then I throw in a pint of GRAPE tomatoes, or 4 quartered Roma tomatoes. (I don't use cherry tomatoes - way too juicy and they squirt all over the place when you try to chop them!) and finish chopping.

After that, I press in juice from 1/2 of a lime, and add salt to taste.

I sell salad choppers, citrus presses, and garlic presses every time I do this!

I just throw all the ingredients in at one time (except the garlic) and send the bowl around the room and let everyone have a turn at chopping. When it gets back to me I add the lime and salt.

Actually, Becky's way is how I do it. The post above is how I copied it from here. If I'm not making the fajitas with it, I use the apple wedger to wedge the onion before I put it in the bowl. People love this idea for wedging onions. I don't think I've had people buy a wedger just for that reason, but they are happy for the extra use and I do sell them. Also, be careful if you pass the grape tomatoes. They squirt something fierce! I usually try to chop them a bit before I pass the bowl back again with the tomatoes. And, I also use the small ss bowl. It's really amazing how much product this little demo shows!

Cutting bds, knives, salad choppers, apple wedger, garlic press, citrus press, measuring spoons, grinder, SW seasoning, SS bowls, kitchen shears (you could, if you take the leaves off the cilantro, but I usually do this by hand -- had no idea I could use the stalks too!), core and more. And, that's without cross selling!

janezapchef said:
Actually, Becky's way is how I do it. The post above is how I copied it from here. If I'm not making the fajitas with it, I use the apple wedger to wedge the onion before I put it in the bowl. People love this idea for wedging onions. I don't think I've had people buy a wedger just for that reason, but they are happy for the extra use and I do sell them. Also, be careful if you pass the grape tomatoes. They squirt something fierce! I usually try to chop them a bit before I pass the bowl back again with the tomatoes. And, I also use the small ss bowl. It's really amazing how much product this little demo shows!

Cutting bds, knives, salad choppers, apple wedger, garlic press, citrus press, measuring spoons, grinder, SW seasoning, SS bowls, kitchen shears (you could, if you take the leaves off the cilantro, but I usually do this by hand -- had no idea I could use the stalks too!), core and more. And, that's without cross selling!

So, you add the SW seasoning too? We made it last night at home just try it, of course, we didn't take the seeds out of the jalapeno because we like spicey, but it was way too spicey, my DH and I each took one bite and that was it. My biggest problem with it is it still has really big chunks. I'm not a big chunky kind of person, like things cut up small... Wondering if I should've cut the stuff up a little more before, but that kind of takes away the whole effect of the salad choppers... I suppose most people like it chunky. I like the idea of using the apple wedger to cut up the onions, will try that and will de-seed the jalapeno and quarter that. Do you usually use gloves then for that step? Because I know when I'm making my homemade salsa that I can and my jalapeno jelly that I have to wear gloves when working with the jalapenos...

ChefPaulaB said:
So, you add the SW seasoning too? We made it last night at home just try it, of course, we didn't take the seeds out of the jalapeno because we like spicey, but it was way too spicey, my DH and I each took one bite and that was it. My biggest problem with it is it still has really big chunks. I'm not a big chunky kind of person, like things cut up small... Wondering if I should've cut the stuff up a little more before, but that kind of takes away the whole effect of the salad choppers... I suppose most people like it chunky. I like the idea of using the apple wedger to cut up the onions, will try that and will de-seed the jalapeno and quarter that. Do you usually use gloves then for that step? Because I know when I'm making my homemade salsa that I can and my jalapeno jelly that I have to wear gloves when working with the jalapenos...

I use gloves! One time of rubbing your eye after cutting a jalepeno was all the lesson I needed for that one!:eek: youch!

For shows, because here in MI, the majority of people are going to like the salsa more mild, I use a chili pepper instead of a jalapeno. It's milder, but still provides that pepper flavor. I also use the apple wedger when I remember to bring it, and I at least quarter everything. (except the tomatoes). The chunkiness all depends on how long you chop.:)

Related to Making Sourdough Bread: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is sourdough bread?

Sourdough bread is a type of bread that is made with a sourdough starter, which is a mixture of flour and water that has been fermented by wild yeast and bacteria. This gives the bread a tangy, slightly sour flavor and a chewy texture.

2. How do I make a sourdough starter?

To make a sourdough starter, you will need equal parts of flour and water. Mix these together in a container and let it sit at room temperature for about a week, feeding it with more flour and water every day. After a week, your starter should be bubbly and ready to use in your bread dough.

3. What type of flour should I use for sourdough bread?

The best flour to use for sourdough bread is a high-protein flour, such as bread flour or whole wheat flour. These types of flour provide more gluten, which is essential for the structure and texture of the bread.

4. How long does it take to make sourdough bread?

Sourdough bread requires a longer fermentation process than traditional bread, so it can take anywhere from 12-24 hours to make. However, most of this time is hands-off, and the actual active time spent making the bread is about 30 minutes.

5. Can I use a bread machine to make sourdough bread?

While it is possible to make sourdough bread in a bread machine, it is not recommended. The long fermentation process of sourdough bread is what gives it its unique flavor and texture, and a bread machine does not allow for this. It is best to make sourdough bread by hand or with a stand mixer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • straitfan
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies