• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making Sourdough Bread - Recipes for a Light & Dense Loaf

In summary, the person asks if anyone here makes their own sourdough bread, and then provides a recipe for Starter, Bread, and a list of ingredients for each.
ivebeen4given
Does anyone here make their own sourdough bread?
Just wondering if you have a recipe for your starter and the bread. I am really wanting a light fluffy sourdough bread and the lady I work with makes a dense sour dough bread.

As long as it isn't that Amish Friendship bread that was going around a few years ago. That stuff took on a life of its own!

I can make a friendship bread, not amish, and I love it but a good sourdough bread just beats all to me. I dont have time to work PC like I would like but I sure would like to have sourdough bread when I wanted and cheaper.

And now I need to go feed my starter and make some bread...I won't get into the "Amish" Bread (or the literally dozens of loaves of it I have baked in the past week - who needs tribbles, right?), but we love Pesto Sourdough Bread. I use a standard starter, that could be used in just about any sourdough recipe.

Here is the recipe I use for a lovely French Buttermilk Sourdough Starter

• 3/4 cup all-purpose or bread flour
  • Large pinch (rounded 1/8 tsp.) of yeast (I usually use bread machine yeast, but you can use any commercial yeast)
  • 1 1/4 cup buttermilk (I used powdered buttermilk to make mine, since I never have buttermilk around!)

DON'T USE METAL BOWLS OR CONTAINERS

1. Whisk together the flour, yeast and buttermilk (it will be about the consistancy of pancake batter. Add a pinch or so of flour if it seems really runny)
  2. Pour into a "sitting container" (I use a quart mason jar, but you can use a plastic container or crockery) and secure 2 or 3 layers of cheesecloth to top with rubber band (cheesecloth is about 26 cents / yard at WalMart)
  3. Put in a warm spot (75-80 degrees) and keep at room temperature. It will bubble and ferment and be flecked with butter spots from the buttermilk

FIRST FEEDING:
After 3 days (36 hours) "feed" the starter with 2T flour and 3T water. Let stand at least one more day before using.

Feed equal parts water and flour (plus a pinch of sugar if you want it to be extra active) when you use the starter to make bread, or if unused and in fridge for 2 weeks (don't leave at room temp without using for more than about 5 days w/out feeding). (Usually, I put in 1 cup water and 1 cup flour every time I make some bread.)

MAKE SURE YOU LET STARTER COME TO ROOM TEMP BEFORE FEEDING OR USING IF YOU STORE IN FRIDGE!

And here's the bread recipe. I'm a bread machine gal all the way, so that's how the recipe is structured. And if you are a fan of Delay Timer baking, you should pick a different recipe Also, I use dried herbs for all of these.

Sourdough Pesto Bread
1 cup buttermilk sourdough starter (or other sourdough starter)
1/3 cup fat-free milk (can be made with dry milk - add correct water for 1/3 cup here, and powder after flour)
2 T. olive oil
3 T. pesto
3 C. bread flour
1 T. sugar (I really mean 1 tablespoon; I know 1 tsp is more common for bread)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. marjoram (similar to oregano, so in a pinch you could probably substitute since this isn't in every kitchen)
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. bread machine yeast (that's 1.5 tsp. SAF yeast)

Put in machine, run for basic setting, remove promptly, let cool completely (room temperature) before slicing in, and enjoy!

ivebeen4given said:
Does anyone here make their own sourdough bread?
Just wondering if you have a recipe for your starter and the bread. I am really wanting a light fluffy sourdough bread and the lady I work with makes a dense sour dough bread.

yes here is my recipe, actually the only sour dough bread i will eat.

STARTER
1 pkg. yeast
1 1/2 c.warm water
3/4 c sugar
3 TBSP MARTHA WHITE POTATO FLAKES

MIX dry yeast with 1/2 c. water. Combine sugar,1 cup water and potato flakes. stir. add yeast mixture. stir.loosely cover with foil or plastic wrap. make couple air holes. Let stand all day. refrigerate that night. after 3 days,take out and feed

SOUR DOUGH FEEDER:

3 Tbsp instant potato flakes (martha white spud flakes) 1/3 c water 1 c hot water.
stir and leave at room temp. 8 to 10 hours before refrigerating. Feed tuesday and Friday. Always save one cup of starter for next time.

SOUR DOUGH BREAD:

6 c. pillsbury bread flour
1tsp salt.
1/2 c oil
1c. starter
1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 c hot tap water

MIX all ingredients well. cover with plastic wrap or towel. Rise 10 hours. Make loaves or rolls. bake @ 350 for 30 mins.​

I could give my recipe to you, but then I'd have to kill you...

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
LOL! :eek: I'm glad I'm starting to know you! Wow, get em Stephanie! Sure doesn't go with your signature!!! (quoting scripture and all!) LOL! J/K!:D :D ;) You know I love ya!:love: :D

<giggle>
My chocolate chip cookie recipe is like that. (Although anyone who can use the internet can find it - my PC Director got it from Allrecipes.)

Interesting fact about Sourdough - even if you love a sourdough bread that you have tasted someplace else, and get the recipe, chances are, yours won't taste exactly the same. When creating a sourdough starter through fermenting, the yeast, and the friendly bacteria create a microflora - and the bacteria in the air is different in different parts of the country/world. So, the starter, and ultimately the bread, take on the flavor of the region where it is being made.

San Francisco Sourdough is known for a that sharp sour flavor, but the same recipe made on the East Coast won't be as sharp.

I also heard the temperature of the room has ALOT to do with the amount it will rise when you let it sit. I use to love my uncles sourdough who lives next door to me but he keeps his house a WHOLE lot warmer then mine.

ivebeen4given said:
I also heard the temperature of the room has ALOT to do with the amount it will rise when you let it sit. I use to love my uncles sourdough who lives next door to me but he keeps his house a WHOLE lot warmer then mine.
This is true - I was going to suggest letting it rise longer, or at a warmer temp - that will affect the denseness of the finished product too.If your uncle lives next door to you, and you love his sourdough - you should get his recipe, because chances are, you could come up with the same flavor/texture at your house. Let it rise in the oven or a warmer place in your home. Hey, you're in Fl., just turn off your air conditioning for a few hours!:D

chefann said:
<giggle>
My chocolate chip cookie recipe is like that. (Although anyone who can use the internet can find it - my PC Director got it from Allrecipes.)
Me too, Ann!!! My CC cookie recipe has been my recipe since I was about 10-11 and my parents insisted that I make the cookies from then on, once I found my secret ingredient.... and I'm not telling....bwaaahaaahaaa! And no you can't google it!:p
And let me tell you what, the first time I baked them on a stone!!!~ they were even better! I will never make my cookies on anything but my stones!
My sister begs for me to bake them and mail them to Nevada!!!:D

I have good references...Seriously, if your uncle has a starter that he has been feeding for a long time his will have better flavor. Sourdough changes and matures over time. My starter is 15yrs old and is crazy different than when it started, I don't use milk any milk products in mine and use grape juice instead of water. My thoughts... Get the Bread Bible by Beth Hensperger. She has some really good SD recipes. Great other bread recipes too. Her Panettone recipe is amazing! Another one is the Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown. He is a Zen priest and I adore his Raisin sourdough starter and raisin rolls, though I do add a little yeast to that recipe. Good luck!

I don't have a recipe, but the best sour dough bread I've ever had is from Cracker Barrel. They even use it to make their homemade croutons.

My uncle quit making Sourdough a few years ago. The lady I work with is making sourdough bread but I don't like the flavor of her bread at all. It tastes like regular white bread to me, unless she adds cinnamon and raisins. But a plain loaf tastes just like white bread. So I was thinking of starting my own starter.
Another question. Someone had said something to me about Canadian Starter, is there such a thing or is it just the same starter just made in canada? j/w

I just buy a loaf of Boudin from Costco. :)

I bake my SD bread, and the NYT No knead bread recipe in my deep cranberry baker with EXCELLENT crusty results.

Okay... Twist my arm...Personally, I prefer starters made w/o yeast, just the spores in the air. It is a longer process, but the flavor is gorgeous. This is a real old fashioned way but basically you take 2 cups flour, 2 cups water and let stand uncovered and out of a draft for several days until it bubbles(mine took about a week). The temperature of the room is important. I call it the 85/90 rule. not higher than 90 degrees. Stir it a couple of times a day when you think of it. Most recipes you will find use sourdough starter more as a flavoring agent than a leavening agent. It just depends on what your prefer. I like a pretty tart SD. To set a "spong" , also refered to as a start for a recipe, about 12 hours before planning to mix a recipe, mix 1/2 cup starter, 2 cups flour, 2 cups liquid(I use white grape juice). Cover bowl (Important non metal!! The classic batter bowl is perfect!) with cheesecloth. Just before mixing the recipe, take 1 cup of batter to replenish the starter in your crock for the next batch. Use the balance in your recipe.

I won't kill you, but this is my basic recipe:
1/4 tsp yeast(optional, but it speeds things up a bit)
2T honey
1 cup water(body temperature)
1 1/2 cup sour dough starter
3 1/2 cup- 4 cups Bread flour
2 tsp salt
1 egg ( for egg wash)

Mix starter(the spong you started 12 hours ago, minus 1 cup)
yeast, and warm water, and honey. Add remaining ingredients except eggs. Knead 300-400 strokes by hand, or 5 minutes med. speed kitchenaid mixer. Form into a ball and place in a covered crock allow to raise until doubled, about 3 hours. Punch down and form into loaf. I roll it out and fold it into thirds, and then roll it into a loaf. Cover with a little oil, and then cover with plastic until doubled again, about 1 1/2 hours. The deep dish baker is perfect for a good crusty loaf. Beat egg and brush over unbaked loaf. Put 2 T water in the baker with the bread. Bake at 400 Degree covered 15 minutes, and then uncovered 15-20 minutes more, or until internal temp. reaches 170 degrees.

This message will self destruct in 30 seconds...

Last edited:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/slider_thankyou.gif

Stephanie, you rock! We love you, girl!And hope you don't regret telling us that you are a chef, as we pester you with questions. :)

ivebeen4given said:
My uncle quit making Sourdough a few years ago. The lady I work with is making sourdough bread but I don't like the flavor of her bread at all. It tastes like regular white bread to me, unless she adds cinnamon and raisins. But a plain loaf tastes just like white bread. So I was thinking of starting my own starter.
Another question. Someone had said something to me about Canadian Starter, is there such a thing or is it just the same starter just made in canada? j/w

See my above post - every sourdough starter is different depending on where it is made. If you were to get Canadian Starter, over time, it would grow and develop, and take on the attributes (bacteria) of your local area, and would be different. You can't make San Francisco Sourdough in Florida. (or Canadian) It's all about experimenting and finding one that works well for your local region.

well I am hoping this weekend to have the time to start a starter, but with all the easter plans that may be harder than it seems. I would like to at least try making a loaf or two of bread.

Has anyone ever bought starter before? Just to use for sporadic baking? I love my starter and bread, but I rarely bake it just because I don't bake often enough to keep the starter up and then I have to plan a week before I bake!

Where can you buy starter from? I am fixing to go to the store and buy some cheesecloth and a mason jar. The lady I work with that has starter is out of town for the weekend so I am going to make my own.

Sourdough is likened unto the Kingdom of HeavenYou can buy starter commercial from chefbrad.com They are local here in Az, but I know they ship. But as Kate brought and ChefDella brought out and as is always true, you don't need to buy it, just start it. With Easter coming, what a perfect time to do the starter-- because it will really "raise again!" It needs a couple of days to get good and sour anyway, so why not at least start the sour. If you want a good sour without a starter, just add 1/2 cup vinegar to a good bread recipe in place of part of the water. It isn't exactly the same but a stand by. Another Easter bonus is that a lump will leaven the whole loaf-- just like the Kingdom of Heaven! That used to be the only way to leaven. Good luck!

I loved my mom's sour dough recipe. She made pizza crust with it and it was the best. Otherwise, I didn't really like her cooking. But she didn't keep it going.

Love King Arthur flour! That stuff is prime! Have you tried their white wheat flour made from a high-brid wheat? It is whole wheat but has a light texture and wonderful flavor! Awesome stuff!

Love King Arthur flour! That stuff is prime! Have you tried their white wheat flour made from a high-brid wheat? It is whole wheat but has a light texture and wonderful flavor! Awesome stuff!

I love that flour! I use it for so many recipes that call for all-purpose flour - no one even knows they are eating whole wheat!

I have the King Arthur Baking cookbooks - The Baking Companion, The Cookie Companion, and the Whole Wheat Baking Companion. LOVE them all!

Well I have started my starter, and it is developing s sweet sour smell, the liquid keeps separating from it and I stir it back in a couple times a day. Is this correct? I noticed it had few bubbles yesterday but today it was just plain liquid on top of dough like material. Is this what it is suppose to do?

how funny, since I "met" you Stephanie, I have been seeing and hearing about the stuff you mention on this board....all over the place! I read an article in a magazine (aren't you surprised that I read it in a magazine!LOL!:D )about the Bread Bible by Beth Hensperger, I have found the wheat pastry flour you have talked about, and on Saturday at the Jerusalem Market (and I'll PM you about that event later!!!!!) we did at church, I had a lady talking to me about this "King Arthur Flour" and now I'm intrigued, so now I'll have to go find this too!
How funny! You and I were meant to cross paths! God does work in mysterious ways!:angel: :love: ;)

You can also buy sourdough starter from King Arthur Flour company. They have it started and in a crock.

Yup...
ivebeen4given said:
Well I have started my starter, and it is developing s sweet sour smell, the liquid keeps separating from it and I stir it back in a couple times a day. Is this correct? I noticed it had few bubbles yesterday but today it was just plain liquid on top of dough like material. Is this what it is suppose to do?
That sounds like the stuff. :) It is important to feed it a little if your room is warm since the temperature really pumps up the yeast like a bunch of party boys. You can add 1T potato flakes, 1T of water to spruce up yeast production but the seperation of "church an state" is normal. Just stir. You can also use grape juice instead of the water. Did you use yeast or are you doing the old fashioned method? If using yeast, you will need to feed it with equal portions water/flour every day or two to keep production of yeast up and increase the stregnth of the yeast as well, since it is eating up the sugars in the flour and then sitting there... Keep us posted. Hey as it goes, you can start using the SD starter and check its potency. Set the sponge and see if it bubbles like a thick pancake dough within 12 hours. If you are interested, I can give you a recipe for SD pancakes that use this method and are so dang yum. I also do a SD chocolate cake that will just make you pass out...like choirs of angels...:sing: Also, side note. No pun intended. I don't think this has been said, but you can keep your starter in the fridge if you don't use it every week. It seperates and the water gets dark, but that is normal as long as there isn't any mold. Be sure when you are stirring that you are using clean utinsels that you didn't leave in the sink the night before from makin' that 30 minute chicken or whatever. You don't want to introduce any unwanted flavor "party crashers" to your starter. I have had months where I didn't use it for bread, but took it out "on a date" gave it a free meal, stired it up. Let it stay out late and then put it back in the fridge. Like how I felt when I was single... What was I saying? Oh yea, you can just pour out a bunch and leave a half a cup of starter in there until the next night on the town. Does that help?

I also have a recipe from the CIA that is made out of apples instead of flour. Good for Gluten free if anyone needs it... email : [email protected]

Chef Stephanie question for you...

In your recipe you say take 1/2 c starter then replenish with 1 cup. Is that right? Wouldnt you end up with a butt load of starter after a while?

You do end up with a lot of starter if you replenish it every time, but you don't have to add more to the starter every time, just when it gets low-- especially if you store it in the fridge.

Oh ok, I get it now. LOL. Now lets see if I get the bread making part when I attempt that this weekend.

So...how are your sourdough bread experiments coming along?I'm happiest with the NY Times No Knead bread recipe, allowed to develop longer/sour. Preheat the DCB and have a fabulous bread and crust.

CookingwithMary said:
So...how are your sourdough bread experiments coming along?

I'm happiest with the NY Times No Knead bread recipe, allowed to develop longer/sour. Preheat the DCB and have a fabulous bread and crust.[/QUOTE]

Preheat the DCB as you said, but also try this:
Here's a good experiment, cornmeal the bottom pretty good, you'll get an even better rise and crust if you put 2T water on top of bread and cover at a higher temperature the first 15 minutes (this is called the steaming method). It will add a lot of texture to the crust and keep it thin and crisp. By higher temp. I mean crank it to 450 or 475. Drop to regular temp (350) after that.

By the way, in mass quantity I have had to open a darn hot oven and singe my eyebrows pretty good while spritzing the bread every 3-5 minutes for the first 15. The water in a covered baker is a much better way to do this and get the thin crisp crust. You really get that effect without losing your eyebrows and having to pencil them in like Bozo. Think on that.

Thanks Chef Stefanie. I have been using cornmeal and a very slack dough. Added more water due to lack of humidity in my area. Will try the add water method too with even higher heat. Singed eyebrows? No, but crimped my hair a few times when trying various experiments. Such as throwing ice cubes in a hot oven.

I got a new starter from someone else almost a month ago now and It is working great it is a Potato fed starter. I leave mine out longer than the recipe calls for because I like a more sour bread. Feed it leave it out 24 hrs, mix it leave it out 24 hours. knead it into loaf pans leave out for 8 hrs then bake. Makes a great bread.

Last edited:
Horray!Steven, I was so excited to read your post! It sounds like you have found your nitch! :thumbup:

It is fun. I am giving away most of the bread. I only eat about half a loaf. So before I start the process I know who is going to be getting a loaf.

1. How do I make a sourdough starter?

To make a sourdough starter, you will need flour, water, and a container. Mix equal parts flour and water in the container and let it sit at room temperature for 24 hours. Then, discard half of the mixture and feed it again with equal parts flour and water. Repeat this process every day for about a week until your starter becomes bubbly and active.

2. Can I use all-purpose flour for my sourdough bread?

Yes, you can use all-purpose flour for your sourdough bread. However, using bread flour or a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour can give your bread a better texture and flavor.

3. How do I make a light and fluffy sourdough bread?

To make a light and fluffy sourdough bread, you will need to use a combination of bread flour and all-purpose flour. This will add structure and give your bread a lighter texture. You can also try adding a small amount of sugar to the dough to help with rise and browning.

4. Why is my sourdough bread turning out dense?

There are a few reasons why your sourdough bread may be turning out dense. It could be due to overproofing, not enough gluten development, or using too much whole wheat flour. Make sure to follow the recipe closely and use the recommended flours for the best results.

5. Can I add other ingredients to my sourdough bread?

Yes, you can add other ingredients to your sourdough bread such as herbs, cheese, or dried fruits. However, make sure to adjust the recipe accordingly and not add too much as it could affect the texture and rise of the bread.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• HeatherP19
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DessertDivaFL
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DessertDivaFL
  • MaryannNic