• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making Corned Beef for Beginners: Jane's Questions Answered!

microwave and it came out really tough. It was yucky.I made my corned beef in the...microwave and it came out really tough. It was yucky.
janezapchef
Gold Member
Has anyone tried this? Would it work in the microwave? I am a complete novice at the corned beef thing -- I just buy it already done, heated and everything, never made it. So, the more details the better here! I like to offer the Reuben Ring close to St. Patrick's Day, but I still want to feature the DCB.
Thanks,
Jane :)

holding for an answer.....

I personally would not cook corn beef in the micro. :yuck: It would come out tough. Corn beef needs to cook for several hours.

So does pretty much everything you make in the dcb in the microwave though, that's why I'm wondering about it.

corned beef (and say...a pork roast or pot roast) are items that benefit from a "low and slow" type of cooking...250 to 300 degrees all day long to break down the tough portions and allow the entire thing to get fall apart tender. I don't think that you are gonna get that in our DCB in the microwave. I would do it in the DCB in a low oven.

(Chicken, pork tenderloin, etc.) all cook relatively quickly in comparison, so I think that's why they lend themselves well to microwave cooking and the stone helps to hold in the moisture so they don't get tough.

For recipes on a low and slow corned beef, check out this website: All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips It's my "go to" site for recipes...just look for a recipe with LOTS of positive reviews!

Thanks for the input!

I guess I was just thinking it might work because I've seen recipes on here for pot roast done in the DCB in the microwave.

Jane...I may be wrong, but that's my educated guess. Maybe someone on here has actually tried it and can let us know how it turned out.

I think you are probably right, but I just thought I'd ask. I never thought I'd see the day that I could cook a whole chicken in the microwave and it would taste like I roasted it for hours either, so, I thought maybe...

I know what you mean, Jane. I remember the first time I heard about the chicken in the micro, I thought "YUCK". I never thought it would be so moist that it would fall off the bone. So maybe you are right!

Maybe if no one has actually tried it, you could try it out with just a small piece of your corned beef to see how it turns out. That way, if it doesn't work, you can still cook the rest of it in a slow oven.

Yeah, that's pretty much my plan, but I thought I'd check here first.

Please be sure and post the results of your experiment. It sure would be a time saver if it could be done in the DCB, with onions, carrots, and cabbage. Add a cup of water and your seasoning packet that comes with the corned beef. I find that the round is more tender. If it does not have a spice packet you can use a few bay leaves and peppercorns, or use our pepper grinder over the surface. If you want a good Irish Soda bread recipe, I can attach one to go with your corned beef.

Attachments

• St. Patrick's Dinner-Corned Beef,Irish Soda Bread.jpg
    St. Patrick's Dinner-Corned Beef,Irish Soda Bread.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 424
I have tried it, but let me start by saying that I always cook my Corned Beef in the oven. I fill the pan half way with water & cover tightly & let it cook for hours. So I was curious to see if it would work. I started off by checking it every 10 minutes. Well It still took over an hour & it was just not the same.....HTH :)

Ginger428 said:
I have tried it, but let me start by saying that I always cook my Corned Beef in the oven. I fill the pan half way with water & cover tightly & let it cook for hours. So I was curious to see if it would work. I started off by checking it every 10 minutes. Well It still took over an hour & it was just not the same.....HTH :)

Thanks! That's exactly what I was wondering and hoping to find out here! I was just wishing it would work.

janezapchef said:
Thanks! That's exactly what I was wondering and hoping to find out here! I was just wishing it would work.

It was really weird!! When I first take it out of the oven, I let it cool down completely before cutting it or it will just shred. Did the same thing after the microwave & it was hard as a rock!! :eek:

I made my corned beef in the DCB last night. I sprinkled it with the spice packet, pressed 3 cloves of garlic over it, then added water. I cooked it at 350 F for about 3 hours. I didn't think there was enough room for the veggies, so after it was done, I removed the meat and poured the juices into my 4-quart SS pot. I added little potatoes and let them cook for a few minutes. Then I added baby carrots and cabbage wedges on top and boiled it until the cabbage was tender. It was all delicious.

Kelly

1. How do I prepare the corned beef before cooking?

The first step in preparing corned beef is to rinse it thoroughly under cold water to remove any excess salt. Then, place it in a large pot and cover it with cold water. Let it soak for 30 minutes to an hour to remove even more salt. After soaking, drain the water and proceed with cooking.

2. Do I need to add any additional seasoning to the corned beef?

No, corned beef is already seasoned with spices like peppercorns, mustard seeds, and coriander. However, you can add additional spices or herbs to suit your taste if desired.

3. How long should I cook the corned beef?

The cooking time for corned beef varies depending on the size and cut of the meat. A general rule of thumb is to cook it for 1 hour per pound, so a 3-pound corned beef would require 3 hours of cooking time. It's best to check for doneness by inserting a fork into the meat – if it easily falls apart, it is ready to be served.

4. Can I cook corned beef in a slow cooker?

Yes, you can cook corned beef in a slow cooker. Follow the same steps of rinsing and soaking the meat before placing it in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.

5. How do I serve the corned beef?

Corned beef is traditionally served with cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. You can cook them separately or add them to the pot during the last hour of cooking. Once the corned beef is cooked, let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing against the grain. Serve with the vegetables and enjoy!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• brendaziz
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • ivykeep
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ShorelineChef
  • esavvymom