• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mac Users: Bootcamp or Parallels

In summary, the two programs are about the same in terms of start up time and overall use, but if you need to check somethingquickly in P3, then start up Parallels.
emmabelle47
I've been a Mac user for about 10 years now and hate that I can't use PP on it. Oh well- my mom has a Dell that I have been using to do my shows. A year ago I downloaded Parallels on my computer (free trial) and didn't really care for it. Although, I couldn't figure out how to get it to read my DVD drive and other hook-ups. I didn't end up buying it, since at the time, I really didn't have any use for windows. Now I would like to get it and am wondering if anyone has Bootcamp and would recommend that over Parallels? I'm still using 10.4 right now but am thinking about upgrading to 10.5 (when I have the extra $150), which comes with the Bootcamp. Which way do you guys recommend? Thanks!

I have both. :) (I'm such a nerd.)The tech guys at Leadership said that if you use Parallels, don't flip back and forth between PP/P3 and programs running in the Mac environment. It will eventually corrupt P3.Boot Camp takes a minute to start up, but if you plan your work, then it's not a big issue. Parallels takes the same time to start up, the only difference is that you can check email (or whatever) while it's starting. Can't do that when Boot Camp is starting. That said, if I need to check something quickly in P3, then I start up Parallels, check what I need to, and get out. If I'm entering a show, submitting orders, entering expenses, etc., then I start up Boot Camp.

I only have boot camp so I can't compare. It's just like starting up your computer so it takes a minute to load windows and such. So I don't open P3 as often as I used to and like Ann said, I plan my work and have it open and running when I call hosts to close shows.

Related to Mac Users: Bootcamp or Parallels

1. What is Bootcamp and Parallels?

Bootcamp and Parallels are both software programs that allow Mac users to run Windows operating systems on their computer. Bootcamp is a built-in utility on Macs that partitions the hard drive to create a separate space for Windows to run. Parallels is a third-party program that creates a virtual machine to run Windows within the Mac operating system.

2. Which one is better for running Windows on a Mac?

It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and needs. Bootcamp allows for a full, native Windows experience but requires you to reboot your computer to switch between Mac and Windows. Parallels allows you to run Windows seamlessly within the Mac operating system, but some features may not work as smoothly as in Bootcamp.

3. Is there a cost for Bootcamp and Parallels?

Bootcamp is a free built-in utility on Macs, while Parallels is a third-party program that requires a one-time purchase. Parallels offers different packages with varying prices, depending on your needs and usage.

4. Can I run other operating systems besides Windows with Bootcamp and Parallels?

Yes, Bootcamp and Parallels both allow for other operating systems to be installed besides Windows. Bootcamp supports Windows, but also other operating systems like Linux and macOS. Parallels supports Windows, Linux, and other operating systems like Chrome OS and Android.

5. Do I need a Windows license to use Bootcamp and Parallels?

Yes, a valid Windows license is required to use both Bootcamp and Parallels. Bootcamp requires you to purchase a separate Windows license, while Parallels offers a feature called "Coherence" which allows you to use the Windows license from Bootcamp within the virtual machine.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jcsmilez
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
jcsmilez
  • babywings76
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • pamperedtracy