• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making the Switch to MAC: Experiences of Fellow Cheffers

In summary, the MAC is a great computer choice, but you may need to purchase a copy of Microsoft Office to use with PP or P3.
missyciccolella
OK fellow cheffers! I am looking to buy a new computer and I've really been looking at a MAC for a while...how do you like it? Here are a few of my concerns:
1. I've always used a PC - how difficult is the transition?
2. Do you have any problems viewing documents created in Word, Excel, etc (in particular with Pampered Chef stuff) and/or sending documents and photos?
3. Should I purchase Windows for MAC, the parallel program (to run windows and MAC), and do you have Microsoft Windows as well?
4. Do you have trouble running P3 or PP (for director stats)?
5. Is there anything else I should know?????????????????

I'm almost 100% convinced of my decision, but would love any and all feedback! Thanks!

Chefnn, yer phone's ringin'!

MAC is not compatible with P3. I have a MAC and love it, but I luckily also have an old PC laptop, so I use that for P3 and shows. I do everything else on my MAC. You would have to install Microsoft Office for Mac. Aside from that I prefer a MAC:)

I have a MacBook, and I use it exclusively now. The current version of the Mac operating system comes standard with Boot Camp, which allows you to boot into Windows for those programs that don't have Mac versions (like PP/P3). That's what I use. You will need a legal copy of Windows XP to install within Boot Camp, but if you have install discs from your old computer, those may work.As long as you have Office installed, and there is a Mac version available, you can open Word and Excel documents. Or you can download the free productivity suite, Open Office, from openoffice.org. It will also open Word and Excel files (also good for people using Windows who can't afford Office).

chefann said:
I have a MacBook, and I use it exclusively now. The current version of the Mac operating system comes standard with Boot Camp, which allows you to boot into Windows for those programs that don't have Mac versions (like PP/P3). That's what I use. You will need a legal copy of Windows XP to install within Boot Camp, but if you have install discs from your old computer, those may work.
So what you are saying is I can use a MAC to transmit shows in P3 as long as I have the boot camp program that allows me to operate in windows?

Yes. :D
That's all I use now. You will need a copy of Windows to install in the Boot Camp program, since it doesn't come with it.

I'm switching over sometime during the first of the new year (yeah Christmas gift cards!). I don't need to purchase Parallel as long as I have a copy of Windows XP? Just trying to make sure I'm reading this right, it will save some money if I don't have to!

By the way, Mac is the only way to go! I've hated having to use a PC for the last 2 years, there is so many things that can go wrong with a PC. I hardly ever had problems with the Mac I used to work on.

wadesgirl said:
I'm switching over sometime during the first of the new year (yeah Christmas gift cards!). I don't need to purchase Parallel as long as I have a copy of Windows XP? Just trying to make sure I'm reading this right, it will save some money if I don't have to!
That's right. Boot Camp is free from Apple. It's not quite as convenient as Parallels - you have to reboot to get into Windows through Boot Camp - but the price is right! And I plan out my work in Windows so I'm not constantly rebooting back and forth.

Thanks, Ann, good to know that!

Thanks for the great info!
Hey Ann, how do you like the word processing program that comes with MAC? Do you use it in place of Word/Microsoft Office?

missyciccolella said:
Hey Ann, how do you like the word processing program that comes with MAC? Do you use it in place of Word/Microsoft Office?

They actually make Microsoft Office programs for Macs, I've never used actually Mac programs for that kind of stuff.

wadesgirl said:
They actually make Microsoft Office programs for Macs, I've never used actually Mac programs for that kind of stuff.
Yeah I know, but if I don't have to spend the $150 on the program I don't want to!:D I'm frugal...

missyciccolella said:
Yeah I know, but if I don't have to spend the $150 on the program I don't want to!:D I'm frugal...

If you already have them for your PC and will have to switch to PC format to use PP or P3 than you can just use Microsoft office on PC format also.

I don't actually remember Mac coming with any "typing" programs. But then again, I've been without one for so long:(

missyciccolella said:
Well, don't be so cheap. After all, Bill and Melinda Gates are in dire financial straits.

(That would be the Bill and Melinda Gates that live under the Wacker Drive draw bridge in Chicago.)

missyciccolella said:
I copied over my old Mac's software to my current one when I got it, so I don't recall what comes pre-loaded. Appleworks and iWork (which includes Pages) are different from Word. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. If you're used to using Word, then there will be a learning curve. If you don't have the cash for a copy of Office for Mac, I'd recommend downloading Open Office. It's free, and can open all Office files. You could, as suggested, also use your current version of Office within the Windows environment, but I do not suggest that. When starting in Windows, your hardware is just as susceptible to viruses and trojan horses as if you were using a Windows machine - and that defeats the whole purpose of using a Mac. ;)

chefann said:
I copied over my old Mac's software to my current one when I got it, so I don't recall what comes pre-loaded. Appleworks and iWork (which includes Pages) are different from Word. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. If you're used to using Word, then there will be a learning curve. If you don't have the cash for a copy of Office for Mac, I'd recommend downloading Open Office. It's free, and can open all Office files. You could, as suggested, also use your current version of Office within the Windows environment, but I do not suggest that. When starting in Windows, your hardware is just as susceptible to viruses and trojan horses as if you were using a Windows machine - and that defeats the whole purpose of using a Mac. ;)

So true! Another reason to love a Mac

chefann said:
Thanks! I really want a MAC, and the virus (or lack of) aspect is VERY appealing...the last I want is to make my computer at risk. I'll probably play around with the free stuff and go from there. Thanks for all the tips and advice! I'll let you know once I make my purchase! :D

If you have an Apple store nearby, go to it and play around for a while. They have trained techs to help you make your choice and answer any questions. The only other place around here that sells them is CompUsa but you never know if the person you are talking to knows specifically about Mac

You can call and make an appointment with an Apple Store sales rep. They will reserve an hour to work with you on making your decisions. Wonderful folks, those Apple Geniuses.

caynreth said:
You can call and make an appointment with an Apple Store sales rep. They will reserve an hour to work with you on making your decisions. Wonderful folks, those Apple Geniuses.
Good to know! There is a store in DC, but I don't think there is one closer so I won't have to batte traffic! That rocks!

I'm thinking about buying a MAC too (need a new laptop to take to shows). Is Pampered Partner available for Apple, or does it have to run in the 'boot camp' mode?

ValerieHurtado said:
I'm thinking about buying a MAC too (need a new laptop to take to shows). Is Pampered Partner available for Apple, or does it have to run in the 'boot camp' mode?

it's not compatible with mac:mad:

But you can run it through Boot Camp. That's what I've been doing since July.You can do that, and suggest every season that a Mac version be introduced. That's what I do. (And DH just saw a report that Apple's market share is up again, so there are more people using Macs than before.)

1. Can I still use my existing PC software on a MAC?

Yes, you can use your existing PC software on a MAC by using a virtualization software such as Parallels or Boot Camp. These programs allow you to run Windows on your MAC, giving you access to all your PC software.

2. Will I be able to transfer all my files and data from my PC to a MAC?

Yes, you can easily transfer your files and data from a PC to a MAC using the built-in Migration Assistant tool. This tool allows you to transfer everything from documents and photos to music and videos.

3. Is it easy to learn how to use a MAC?

While there may be a learning curve when switching to a new operating system, many fellow Cheffers have found that the MAC is intuitive and easy to use. Plus, there are plenty of online tutorials and resources available to help you get familiar with your new MAC.

4. Can I still access Microsoft Office on a MAC?

Yes, you can still use Microsoft Office on a MAC. There is a MAC version of Microsoft Office available for purchase, or you can use the virtualization software mentioned earlier to run the PC version on your MAC.

5. Will I still be able to connect my MAC to my kitchen equipment and devices?

Yes, you can connect your MAC to kitchen equipment and devices just like you would with a PC. MACs have USB ports and Bluetooth capabilities, making it easy to connect to various kitchen gadgets and appliances.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• emmabelle47
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
finley1991
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies