• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Join Me for a 5K in Honor of Fallen Deputy | Support Scholarship Fund

In summary, Jeanine is planning on participating in a 5K run to raise money for a local sheriff's deputy's son who was killed in the line of duty. She has not decided if she will walk or run the event, but is excited to do either. She recommends starting training now by walking, jogging and running and slowly building up endurance.
ahammons
I'm just wondering b/c I'd like to do one, but it's this month! :eek: I know it's only a few miles, so I'm sure I can handle it (even though I rarely get a chance to work out! lol) All entry fees will be contributed to the scholarship fund set up in memory of a local Sheriff's Deputy who was killed in the line of duty... his son is my DH's good friend. DH's friend was doing a ride-along with his dad that day, and was shot as well. I know that if DH was in the states, he would travel back here to participate - but since he's not, I'd like to do it. I just found out about it last week though!

Any advice?? :)

I haven't done one, but that is a good cause. I would participate if it were closer. I wish you lots of luck and I hope it brings in lots of money!

Pace yourself and have fun! Because it's exciting to be in a group like this, your first inclination will likely be to start quickly. If you are not used to going fast for 3 miles, you're going to poop out quickly.

Are you running or walking?

You'll do great... and start training NOW! Even if you have a few weeks, start running some EVERY DAY. I've done about 5 in the last 3 years and twice have I started training just about 10 days before and paid a terrible price. Download from the internet a 5k training guide and follow it religiously. You'll be so happy you did it and your body will thank you if you properly train for it. Good luck!

LOL!!! When I saw 5K, I thought you meant a $5000 show!!! LOL!!! Wouldn't that be nice????:D

chefkristin said:
LOL!!! When I saw 5K, I thought you meant a $5000 show!!! LOL!!! Wouldn't that be nice????:D
Yeah, I wish!! lol :D

finley1991 said:
You'll do great... and start training NOW! Even if you have a few weeks, start running some EVERY DAY. I've done about 5 in the last 3 years and twice have I started training just about 10 days before and paid a terrible price. Download from the internet a 5k training guide and follow it religiously. You'll be so happy you did it and your body will thank you if you properly train for it. Good luck!

I think I will start training tomorrow. I'm not totally out of shape - I actually like to workout, but my kids rarely allow it! lol

Jeanine, I haven't decided if I'll walk or run yet...I'd really love to run. But I guess it will depend on how well I do leading up to it! :D

Thanks everyone! :)

chefkristin said:

That is what I thought, too! Of course, I was just reading a thread about having a $1K catty show... so $$$ was on the brain!!!

ahammons said:
I think I will start training tomorrow. I'm not totally out of shape - I actually like to workout, but my kids rarely allow it! lol

Jeanine, I haven't decided if I'll walk or run yet...I'd really love to run. But I guess it will depend on how well I do leading up to it! :D

Thanks everyone! :)
It's much quicker to run the thing. That's actually why I started running... because walking took too long! Runner's World.Com : Running, Racing, Training and More. will have a training program and I bet Health.com: Home Page will have one too. There are others out there if you do a search. The weather is great for running, at least it was here this morning in MI. Cool and crisp, not humid and not freezing. Let us know how it goes.

HUGE kudos to you for doing it. You'll do great - the reason for it will resound in your heart and give you the strength to keep going.

PS - I thought the topic was about a 5K show as well!! LOL

Your heart is in the right place and I agree that will motivate you tremendously. Being there with everyone else will be so much fun you will hardly feel it. Start training now by walking, jogging and running and slowly build up endurance. After a while you can just keep going. I trained for a 10K obsticle course at Camp Pendleton called the Mud Run by walking up hill and jogging down, after a while I didn't get tired at all. The mud run was a blast, it was sooo much fun to jump the hay bails, tires, run while the men stationed there aimed water hoses at you, climb the walls, swim a river, run up hill then down in mud and finally the mud swamp at the end where you have to advance on your belly.

finley1991 said:
Download from the internet a 5k training guide and follow it religiously. You'll be so happy you did it and your body will thank you if you properly train for it. Good luck!

Hal Higdon is my favorite trainer. Here's the website where you can get a free training guide: http://www.trainingpeaks.com/hal/

If you are not currently training, I'd recommend you look at Hal Higdon's 5k Training Plan: Novice

I used Hal's program to train for a 1/2 Marathon. I run and walk when I'm racing a longer distance or it does seem to drag on forever. I walk my 5ks because I like the chance to be competitive. I'm a fast walker and a slow runner. :)

chefkristin said:
That's what I thought too! I'd much rather have 5K show than run 5K!

Actually I've done a 5K (run/walk) it wasn't that bad. And, I got the t-shirt to prove it!

I haven't done one, but I'd really like to do one soon. I started to train for one last spring using the couch to 5K program someone referred me to (online). I did talk with someone else who runs a lot (marathons even) and she said to give myself 6 to 8 weeks to build up to a 5K... granted I was starting at ground zero so you could be ahead of the game. Also, you're doing it for a good cause... at worst you run out of steam and walk the rest of it.

I'm planning to do one in October, to benefit diabetes research. It looks like my best friend will go, and she has cerebral palsy, so we'll be walking.I've done breast cancer walks with my sisters-in-law and we enjoy the nice walk and the knowledge that we're making a difference.

I really need to start exercising and have always wanted to run. How do you start if you have never done it before without killing yourself. I need to loose about 100 pounds.:cry:

For the getting started: there's the couch to 5k program.
Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running PlanFor the 100 pounds - may I suggest Weight Watchers? I have about 40 pounds total to lost - already lost over 10 - and I really, really like that it's about changing habits not about doing crazy things with food.

And big hugs to you. Trying to make *any* change is hard. I know.
tacklehug.gif

jenniferp417 said:
And big hugs to you. Trying to make *any* change is hard. I know.
tacklehug.gif
Thanks so much. I was on WW last year and lost 15 lbs during my 12 classes. Then I hit a big bump-more like a mountain and just stopped. I feel really bad about myself these days and I am the only one that can change it.

That awful feeling is the worst. :( There's another message board for WW that I *love* - it's amazing - very good support, and they don't let you get away with stuff... and I really appreciate that!
http://healthdiscovery.com/

Good luck Ashlee!

chefjeanine said:
Hal Higdon is my favorite trainer. Here's the website where you can get a free training guide: http://www.trainingpeaks.com/hal/

If you are not currently training, I'd recommend you look at Hal Higdon's 5k Training Plan: Novice

I used Hal's program to train for a 1/2 Marathon. I run and walk when I'm racing a longer distance or it does seem to drag on forever. I walk my 5ks because I like the chance to be competitive. I'm a fast walker and a slow runner. :)
I couldn't think of his name, but I agree about Hal Higdon's training programs. I used his program to train for a marathon two years ago and a half marathon last year. I'm done with that now, but I would still recommend him.

I have done 5k in the past, when I was much, much younger. My brother just approached me and asked me to train him for a marathon in the next year. So, at the age of 38 and very out of shape, I am starting all over again and training with him. He is 10 years younger than me and I find myself working out at the gym twice as often and twice as hard just to keep up. I have post baby weight to lose on top of all of this. There are a lot of training programs on the internet to follow. If you want to start a tracking/accountability thread, I will join in. Good luck.

Try Runner's World Online
ahammons said:
I'm just wondering b/c I'd like to do one, but it's this month! :eek: I know it's only a few miles, so I'm sure I can handle it (even though I rarely get a chance to work out! lol) All entry fees will be contributed to the scholarship fund set up in memory of a local Sheriff's Deputy who was killed in the line of duty... his son is my DH's good friend. DH's friend was doing a ride-along with his dad that day, and was shot as well. I know that if DH was in the states, he would travel back here to participate - but since he's not, I'd like to do it. I just found out about it last week though!

Any advice?? :)

Do you plan on running or walking? Walking will be a breeze - find a buddy to walk with! If you plan on running, you can do it! Still find a buddy (buddies help to motivate), and slowly increase your mileage. Check out runner's world website online (I think Runner's World.Com : Running, Racing, Training and More.) for some training tips for all levels! Good luck and you'll do great! :D

Part of my weekend odyssey this week was cheering on my sister and BIL at an Ironman triathlon. My sister made her goal of breaking 14 hours (13:46), and she completed the run portion (full marathon) 15 minutes faster than my BIL did. :D Of course, she took 90 minutes longer for the bike segment, so he still whipped her butt. :rolleyes:

Related to Join Me for a 5K in Honor of Fallen Deputy | Support Scholarship Fund

1. How long is a 5K?

A 5K race is equivalent to 3.1 miles.

2. Do I need to be a runner to participate in a 5K?

No, a 5K is a great opportunity for people of all fitness levels to challenge themselves and set a goal to complete the race. You can run, jog, or walk the 5K.

3. How should I prepare for a 5K?

It is important to start training at least 6-8 weeks before the race. This can include running or walking a few times a week, gradually increasing your distance and speed. It is also important to stay hydrated and eat a healthy diet leading up to the race.

4. What should I wear for a 5K?

Wear comfortable and breathable clothing that is suitable for the weather. Make sure to also wear proper running shoes to prevent blisters and injuries.

5. Can I bring my children/pets to a 5K?

It depends on the specific race and their regulations. Some races may allow strollers or pets, but it is always best to check with the race organizers beforehand.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• colegrovet
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
susanr613
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • rbvernon
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies