• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Post Office Raising Rates on May 14?

mentioned:There was a lot of outrage on social media when the USPS announced that the "Forever" stamp would start at $0.41 per stamp. The Forever Stamp is essentially a stamp that you can use forever and the price of it will increase with each rate increase. People are upset because they feel like the USPS is nickel and diming them.Yes, the Forever Stamp starts at $0.41 per stamp and the rates are going up on May 14.
ddcook
Someone at work told me today, that the Post office is raising rates on May 14. :eek:

I looked on the USPS website, but couldn't find anything. Then again, I couldn't find the last rate increase until days before it actually happened.

Now, I know the "Forever" stamp starts then. So does that mean ALL first class stamps are $0.41?

I've been a consultant for 16 months, and this is my second postal rate increase.... :(

Yes Darcy it is going up again but I can't exactly remember how much! Sorry!

I heard 41c for a stamp but don't know for certain?

Yes, they are going up -- I thought it was May 1, but could be May 14th. The "Forever" stamp is ultimately designed to get rid of the 1 and 2 cent stamps -- you buy the stamp at the going rate (soon to be 41 cents) and you can use it forever to mail a letter, even if the rates continue to rise.

We still have one of the lowest postal rates in the western world and the post office is completely paid for by stamps -- they (unlike other government agencies) receive NO tax dollars for operational costs.

Yes, it's 41c for a stamp... with the forever stamp as a new thing.

ivykeep said:
We still have one of the lowest postal rates in the western world and the post office is completely paid for by stamps -- they (unlike other government agencies) receive NO tax dollars for operational costs.

Not only did we reply at the exact same time... but I did *not* know this!

I feel much, much better about the price of postage now. :D

ivykeep said:
Yes, they are going up -- I thought it was May 1, but could be May 14th. The "Forever" stamp is ultimately designed to get rid of the 1 and 2 cent stamps -- you buy the stamp at the going rate (soon to be 41 cents) and you can use it forever to mail a letter, even if the rates continue to rise.

Which of your relatives works for the postal service?

:D

Yes, stamps are going up, but my wonderful USPS Clerk, Lorraine, told me that the amount for extra ounces after the 1st ounce is going DOWN, so this may be in our favor. :)

I wouldn't count on it. Second and succeeding ounces have been the same as post cards so you didn't have to stock a third stamp.

postcard rate is increasing too

ddcook said:
Someone at work told me today, that the Post office is raising rates on May 14. :eek:

I looked on the USPS website, but couldn't find anything. Then again, I couldn't find the last rate increase until days before it actually happened.

Now, I know the "Forever" stamp starts then. So does that mean ALL first class stamps are $0.41?

I've been a consultant for 16 months, and this is my second postal rate increase.... :(

This is my second increase as a consultant too & I've done this less than 2 years. It upsets me because I mail the invitations for my hosts & that eats into my profits per show.

Guess I need to pick a date for an open house and get those invites out before May 14!! ....and buy a bunch of 1 & 2 cent stamps, grrr!

What annoys me is that the PO knows for months ahead but every time they change the stamp they never have enough 1-3 cent stamps and the new stamps never have the amount printed on them.

I have 3 family members working for the PO and I never heard that the PO is funded totally by stamps. I'm thinking that may be an urban legend?

It's funny I had lunch with one of my best friends yesterday and she was whining about the postage increase.
I asked her if she'd give up her daily Starbuck's habit if they increased by $1.00 she was like uh no so I told her to quit complaining about .02

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Which of your relatives works for the postal service?

:D

None -- although my dad did work for the post office as teenager. I just had this conversation the LAST time postal stamps increased and ended up doing a bunch of research on it (and actually changed my position on the issue then).

This rate increase DOES decrease the additional ounces -- currently a 2 ounce letter costs 63 cents to mail -- with the new rates it will only be 58 cents.

The following was reported in the media in March when the rate increase and the forever stamps were announced (I just pulled it from usps.com, but read about it on CNN.com in March)

Shaping a More Efficient Future

March 19, 2007 Decision of the Governors of the United States Postal Service

On February 26, 2007, the Postal Regulatory Commission issued its Opinion and Recommended Decision in Docket No. R2006–1. The Postal Service initiated this proceeding on May 3, 2006, to request recommendations on general changes in postal rates and fees. The Commission’s Recommended Decision comes slightly less than ten months after the Postal Service’s Request. We commend the Commission for its efficient conduct of the proceedings, its thorough review of the record, its consideration of commentary from various parties, and its timely recommendations. We have reviewed the Commission’s Opinion thoroughly, and in light of our consideration of the evidentiary record we have analyzed each of the Commission’s recommendations.

In keeping with the Postal Service's filing, the Commission recommends rates which recognize the impact on costs of different shapes and which attempt to maximize economic efficiency within the mailing industry. In some cases, however, recommended rates give rise to concern, both within the industry and on the part of the Governors, about “rate shock.” For example, postage for a small, but significant, minority of catalogs would increase by as much as 41 percent.

In evaluating the Commission's recommendations, the Governors begin with the proposition that, while cost is the foundation of any rate design, other considerations must also weigh heavily, at least during a transition. The Governors believe that rates should foster the financial viability of the Postal Service by aligning its interests in operating efficiently with its interests in retaining its customers, promoting growth and maintaining profitability. In achieving this alignment, the Governors are mindful that any business must consider the impact on its customers of the timing and magnitude of any price increase. In simple terms, avoiding surprises and encouraging the customer base to grow is “good business.” Thus, for example, the Governors are concerned about the short-term effect that some increases in the prices of Standard Regular flats might have on catalog mailers.

Additionally, the Governors believe that in a few other areas the Commission fails to provide appropriate cost-based incentives where they would be eminently appropriate. For example, the Governors note that the Commission’s recommended decision would apply a nonmachinable surcharge only to letters weighing one ounce or less, and not to heavier-weight pieces where such a surcharge is equally warranted.

The Governors have concluded that three issues -- Standard Mail flats, the Nonmachinable Surcharge for First-Class Mail letters, and the Priority Mail Flat Rate Box -- would benefit from further consideration. In order to allow the Postal Service to seek reconsideration of the three matters which merit such treatment, as provided under the former provisions of 39 U.S.C. § 3625(c)(2), we approve the Recommended Decision and return those three matters to the Commission. The technical term for our decision is “allow under protest.” We ask the Commission to move as expeditiously as possible to give mailers a practical opportunity to plan effectively for future mailings. By resolution, the Board of Governors has today set May 14, 2007, as the effective date of the changes in rates and fees for all classes except for Periodicals. As explained below, unique circumstances have caused the Board to delay implementation of the Periodicals changes until July 15, 2007.

Decision of the Governors of the United States Postal Service

What is "Please Tell Me I'm Wrong..."?

"Please Tell Me I'm Wrong..." is a popular cookbook by Pampered Chef that features delicious and easy recipes for everyday meals. It includes a variety of dishes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert.

What types of recipes are included in "Please Tell Me I'm Wrong..."?

The cookbook includes a variety of recipes such as 30-minute meals, one-pot wonders, slow cooker dishes, and vegetarian options. There are also recipes for appetizers, side dishes, and desserts.

Are the ingredients used in the recipes easy to find?

Yes, the ingredients used in the recipes are common and easy to find at most grocery stores. They are also budget-friendly, so you won't have to spend a fortune on specialty items.

Are the recipes in "Please Tell Me I'm Wrong..." beginner-friendly?

Absolutely! The cookbook is designed for home cooks of all skill levels. The recipes are easy to follow with step-by-step instructions and helpful tips and tricks. Even if you're a beginner in the kitchen, you can create delicious and impressive meals with this cookbook.

Are there pictures included with the recipes?

Yes, each recipe in "Please Tell Me I'm Wrong..." is accompanied by a full-color photo of the finished dish. This makes it easier to see what the dish should look like and can also serve as inspiration for presentation ideas.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
princessmeshelle
  • Kathytnt
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
Replies
Views
Christ Follower