• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Mileage Deduction Worth It for a Pampered Chef Show 600 Miles Away?

In summary, the speaker is planning to drive to California to visit family and do a show for her sister. She is aware that mileage can be counted as a business expense, but she is hesitant to do so because it is a long drive and she is worried about raising red flags with the IRS. Other speakers suggest counting the mileage and keeping all receipts as proof. Some also mention that gas and mileage cannot both be counted as deductions. The speaker plans to count the mileage and make various stops along the way, including at her sister's house. She asks for clarification on how to count mileage when doing a show while visiting family. Other speakers share their experiences with counting mileage for business trips. Ultimately, the consensus is to keep good records and save all
thechefofnorthbend
I am heading down to CA at the end of the month and my sister has asked if I do a show for her while I am there. I know I can count milage as a business expense, but this is a 9 hour drive and almost 600 miles away! I am going to count my expenses for the show (food, supplies) but I think If I try to pull of gas and milage, I am sure that this will RED lfag me big time. Should I even bother. I am going down for other reasons and staying at another family members house. I guess I could just account the milage from his place to my sisters (25 miles) and the gas. Ugh...

Anytime you travel to do a show, the mileage is tax deductible. I plan to drive to see my parents twice a year - 1600 miles round trip. As long as I do a show and/or recruiting, I'll use the mileage as a tax deduction.By having your own business, you are already red flagged for the IRS. The IRS doesn't like the fact that they don't know about your write offs - it makes them uneasy. However, keep your receipts that the people wrote on while you were there and your food and lodging receipts - to prove you were there.

Oh, you can't do gas if you do mileage - you have to pick one. I pick mileage because it adds in wear and tear on the car as well as oil changes and gas. I don't want to have to deal with all that separately.

I would count the mileage! It is legit and if you drive to Conference that counts so it can be a long trip to!
however unless you lease your car you can not deduct gas.

I would totally count the whole trip!
Kate gave some great tips, just keep ALL of your rcpts!

What part of Cali are you coming too?

Yippee!! I am SO going to count my milage (1300 round trip). Gas is an expense paid for by DH work.

We are going to Monterey, Then Sebastopol, San Rafael, Novato, Half Moon Bay, Stockton, Citrus Heights and then home...whew...LOL

I think you could technically just count the mileage between your home and hers, not the whole trip. Now if you are making those stops along the way, fine, but if you do get audited they may check the actual door to door.

I did a show in LA last year and that was the only reason for my visit so I plan to claim miles. Good idea Kate about keeping the write ins!

thechefofnorthbend said:
Yippee!! I am SO going to count my milage (1300 round trip). Gas is an expense paid for by DH work.

We are going to Monterey, Then Sebastopol, San Rafael, Novato, Half Moon Bay, Stockton, Citrus Heights and then home...whew...LOL
Holy cow, better you than me!
My mom was born in Monterey.

I would count the gas milage from your house!

Really? I'm going to do a show in El Paso in June while visiting my sister. It's 1200 miles one way...I can write that off? How incredibly cool is that?

Yup! Just make sure you keep good records!

I think that, officially, you need to be conducting business at least 50% of the time in order to write off all the mileage. That's what I was told back when DH and I were active with another home business. But then, I'm not a tax accountant....

Good tip, Ann. I find that when I keep Pampered Chef on my brain, I talk about it wherever I go! So, whenever I travel, it IS for business!

Even though you take the mileage deduction, I would still save my fuel receipts and all other receipts to show that I actually went on the trip...just in case I were audited. You aren't claiming the fuel deduction, but if they ask for proof you will have it.

1. How many miles should I put on my car before it's considered too much?

The average car can last up to 200,000 miles, so it's safe to say that anything above that can be considered too much. However, it ultimately depends on the make, model, and maintenance of your car. It's always important to regularly check your car's mileage and schedule routine maintenance to ensure its longevity.

2. Is there a specific number of miles that I should avoid going over?

While there is no specific number to avoid, it's generally recommended to not exceed 15,000 miles per year. This will ensure that your car is not being overused and will help maintain its value. If you drive more than this, it's important to stay on top of routine maintenance and address any issues that may arise.

3. Can high mileage affect the performance of my car?

Yes, high mileage can definitely affect the performance of your car. As your car accumulates more miles, it will start to experience wear and tear on various components such as the engine, transmission, and suspension. This can lead to a decrease in performance and potentially costly repairs. It's important to regularly service your car to prevent any major issues.

4. Will driving long distances affect my car's mileage?

Yes, driving long distances can contribute to your car's mileage. However, it's not the only factor to consider. Stop-and-go traffic, harsh weather conditions, and poor maintenance can also contribute to the overall mileage of your car. It's important to keep all of these factors in mind when determining how much mileage is too much for your car.

5. How can I track my car's mileage?

There are a few different ways to track your car's mileage. You can manually record the mileage every time you fill up your gas tank, or you can use a mileage tracking app on your phone. Some cars also have a built-in trip computer that displays the current mileage. It's important to keep track of your mileage to stay on top of routine maintenance and to know when it may be time to consider getting a new car.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
sklay723
  • KarenMarie
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • Intrepid_Chef