• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Selling Nonconsumable Products a Wise Choice in Today's Economy?

In summary, my mom wants me to sell another DS in addition to PC. I don't think selling candles is the best idea because people don't usually buy them when they are short on money.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
Okay, I am in a conundrum. My mom wants me to sell another DS in addition to PC. (I have enough trouble with the one:blushing:).
She goes through this speil about PC not being consumable and people getting what they need (people who say they have almost everything in the catty). Don't get me wrong, she loves PC...she is my biggest supporter, but she thinks in the economy and with people being lazy and not wanting to cook no matter how easy we make it for them; I should be selling something that needs to be replenished. (not makeup or food)
What are your thoughts for responses or just thoughts in general.....

krzymomof4 said:
Okay, I am in a conundrum. My mom wants me to sell another DS in addition to PC. (I have enough trouble with the one:blushing:).
She goes through this speil about PC not being consumable and people getting what they need (people who say they have almost everything in the catty). Don't get me wrong, she loves PC...she is my biggest supporter, but she thinks in the economy and with people being lazy and not wanting to cook no matter how easy we make it for them; I should be selling something that needs to be replenished. (not makeup or food)

:confused: If it's not makeup or food, what else is there? I'm drawing a blank.

Scrapbooking supplies? Maybe that's one? There's a market for that because people have hobbies and preserving memories is important to people. However, my sister used to sell CM and we loved the stuff, but she had such a hard time competing with the craft stores. She stopped selling that and now does MK. She's doing okay with MK, but not great financially because she needs recruits to make the bigger money in MK.I think you should sell what you want to sell. If you are happy with PC, why add another DS business to your life?

It's actually Gold Canyon Candles. Oh I forgot to mention that she wants me to do it so bad that she is willing to pay for half of the start up costs.

Okay, see I would think candles would be at the bottom of people's lists of things they would buy if money was tight.

I do have to admit that Gold Canyon is by far the best candles I have come across. I think my DH would have a stroke if I started a new venture

I don't know. I love candles, but I definitely can see how they would be seen as a luxury item (for most people). I burn candles all the time - so coming from someone who would hate to give up candles, I would still buy a $20 item to help me prepare a meal rather than a candle(s).

In fact, I just bought a bunch of candles on sale so I wouldn't have to buy candles at full price any time soon.

krzymomof4 said:
with people being lazy and not wanting to cook no matter how easy we make it for them;

On the contrary - that's why I sell PC. I am the queen of lazy. I hate to cook - honest! Our products let you prepare food without "cooking".

Also, our products are sellable to all: mothers, children, grandparents, men, singletons, etc. Only women wear makeup, wear jewelry and buy candles (mostly).

Not everyone likes scented candles. But everyone eats! And PC is always adding new products and recipes to get people excited about cooking and entertaining again.

krzymomof4 said:

I'm not a Gold Canyon candle expert - or a candle expert at all. But don't some of those candles last 100 hours or something? I had a candle party 3years ago and I still have candles I haven't used. Of course I have 3 little kids so I don't burn candles often.

I'm with the other posters here, candles are a 'want' item and right now 'wants' are at the bottom of the list.

If she is so keen on Gold Canyon candles she should sell them. ;)

I am not wanting to give up PC. She was just playing devil's advocate so to speak because she sees me struggling right now and she thinks that something that is consumable would me a better income. I am getting more and more people who are giving me excuses all the time. My brother delivers bread and he says that even in this economy he is surprised that he is making more deliveries to resturants than grocery stores.

don't get me wrong, but i don't think that candles would sell any better in this economy. i might buy 1 if i went to a pary or really needed to replace my currant one. but really, i don't know many people willing to buy lots of candles. i am sure that people who sell them are doing fine. as for needing to be replenished, those candles take forever to burn. honestly, i don't see it being any better. maybe if you have people who really love candles that need/want more soon it might not be bad to try. i chose PC because i love their product. and i'm sorry, but i don't buy the replenishment argument. that assumes that everyone you meet will want to keep buying from you. we know that isn't true. of course you will get your regulars, who go through candles quickly. but i know, that i have a good amount of what is in the cataloge, and i still need stuff for my kitchen! i htink it is about what your customers are willing to buy. some people only need 1 or 2 quality kitchen tools, but woul LOVE to fill their house with a million candles. some people wouldn't want either but would pay $50 for face cream. if you don't want to work another DS company don't. i don't think it would be worth the headache if you didn't love the company enough to sell it.

sorry it was so long

krzymomof4 said:
It's actually Gold Canyon Candles. Oh I forgot to mention that she wants me to do it so bad that she is willing to pay for half of the start up costs.

Tell her to sign-up and sell them herself :rolleyes:

I'm with everyone else on this one. I've never been one to spend tons on candles, but I especially wouldn't do it now. It's not a must have for me or the family, it's a luxury. Food and food preparation is not a luxury, it's a must and PC makes it easier, even for those who hate cooking!! But, you have to do what you think is right for you and your family and don't let anyone else pressure you into doing something you don't think is right for you!

I have friends who sell the following:

Partylite
Creative Memories
Close to My Heart
Lia Sophia
MK
Beauticontrol

ALL of them are struggling horribly.....my friend w/ Lia Sophia used to have a team of 25 - and now is down to 7...and having a hard time getting shows of her own. Her income has gone down dramatically.

My friend who sells BC told me last week that she won't be selling any more. Her words: "I guess some people are still buying - but I'm not seeing it"....she was wondering how my business was going, because her's has tanked so badly.

Most of the things that are listed as "consumables" are really luxury items. I just bought a ton of Yankee Candles - but they were all Holiday scents that were 75% off. That is the way I would buy my candles. I buy my skin care when it's on sale and I have coupons.:blushing:

I just had a CM party - and couldn't get anyone to buy anything. It seems to me that the only thing that is still selling well is PC!

chefshawna said:
I'm with everyone else on this one. I've never been one to spend tons on candles, but I especially wouldn't do it now. It's not a must have for me or the family, it's a luxury. Food and food preparation is not a luxury, it's a must and PC makes it easier, even for those who hate cooking!! But, you have to do what you think is right for you and your family and don't let anyone else pressure you into doing something you don't think is right for you!

I AM one who will spend lots on candles and even I am cutting back on candles as it is definitely a luxury.

kam said:
I AM one who will spend lots on candles and even I am cutting back on candles as it is definitely a luxury.

Same here, I found myself buying a bag of tealights (unscented) at Target a few weeks ago, something I NEVER would have done in the past, but I got a whole bag for $5(100 in the bag) when the tealights I normally buy cost about $4/dozen. I really haven't seen a diff in the burn time or anything.

One other thing to consider is how far you will be stretching yourself. You'll have to start all over again with your friends and family to start your business and then what? Maybe they aren't candle people or don't have any money to help support your new business while you already have business with other people in PC.

I also agree with who ever said that it sounds like your mom should just sign up herself.

I started off selling arbonne. then added PC. I decided I would go with what sells. I couldn't get anyone to commit to an Arbonne party.. but were asking to do PC. In arbonne we had to provide the hostess gifts. etc. I even wanted arbonne to pan out because I thought with it being consumable .. I would be able to sell more... but PC won hands down. So I quit arbonne and have been very happy with PC. All the info out there is how PC is the best DS company.. I am very glad it won. Other companies require stocking product to have on hand.. I LOVE the fact we don't stock product. Spend that time and effort on PC instead of a new product It will pay off in the long run. And you won't be broker for trying. lol

Another thing to think about...Most of the time, you'll only get repeat business if you call them! I have purchased Epicure from 3 different people in the past 2 years. Not one of them has ever called me to ask if I need more. So what happens? I see an Epicure consultant at a trade show and I order more. I don't think to call them when I run out, nor do I have the loyalty to track them down because I only ever spoke to them once - when I placed my order.

So unless you're the queen of customer care and can call all of your customers every few months to ask for orders, I don't know that you'll see that much repeat business.

I totally agree, in this economy ... if I were asked to go to a Partylight show vs PC show, hands down- I would much rather spend $25 on a quality product that would last, over a candle that will burn out after so long. ;)

LOL - I'm reading through this and thinking that we aren't biased at all, are we?:p:D

Well, I am NOT into candles so that may be a huge reason why for me! ;)

I have a friend in Partylite and she has to keep replacing the candles in HER kit to burn at her shows! That's the other thing I like about PC, we don't have to restock our OWN supply when we do shows..there was a time when my PL friend had a show and she was stressing because she didn't have such and such candles to show because she already burned them at her last show and didn't have time to reorder! :rolleyes:

chefsteph07 said:
I have a friend in Partylite and she has to keep replacing the candles in HER kit to burn at her shows! That's the other thing I like about PC, we don't have to restock our OWN supply when we do shows..there was a time when my PL friend had a show and she was stressing because she didn't have such and such candles to show because she already burned them at her last show and didn't have time to reorder! :rolleyes:

Good point! And what about their new seasonal products, do they EARN them for free or do they get a discount to buy them, so they can display them??

chefsteph07 said:

The only time that happens in PC with me is when I run low on Southwestern seasoning to do the fajitas. ;)

babywings76 said:
The only time that happens in PC with me is when I run low on Southwestern seasoning to do the fajitas. ;)

Yeah, I am a huge replenisher of our SW seasoning!:p

heat123 said:
Yeah, I am a huge replenisher of our SW seasoning!:p

Try using the Chipotle as a substitute - yummy! That's what I've been making fajitas with lately.

Oh yeah, that one too! :)

heat123 said:
Good point! And what about their new seasonal products, do they EARN them for free or do they get a discount to buy them, so they can display them??

Yeah, I'm not sure on that, I'll have to ask her, but I can't remember her saying she earned anything other than her starter kit.

i'm big on the asian when i stir fry. i coat my beef with corn startch and 1-2 Tablespoos of the asian seasoning before frying. it has made my Broccoli Beef 10X better! and it was yummy to begin with!

I understand your mom's thinking about consumables. PC has consumables, too. I get calls all the time for spices and sprinkles. Beyond that, the Gold Canyon candles are great, but they last a really long time. It's not like people need new ones every couple of weeks. Also, I can't imagine doing well with a DS company unless I was passionate about the product. How crazy are you about Gold Canyon Candles? Finally, remember that once you promote to Director you'll have to give the other one up anyway.

Winnipegk said:
Another thing to think about...Most of the time, you'll only get repeat business if you call them! I have purchased Epicure from 3 different people in the past 2 years. Not one of them has ever called me to ask if I need more. So what happens? I see an Epicure consultant at a trade show and I order more. I don't think to call them when I run out, nor do I have the loyalty to track them down because I only ever spoke to them once - when I placed my order.

So unless you're the queen of customer care and can call all of your customers every few months to ask for orders, I don't know that you'll see that much repeat business.

Great point!!!

chefsteph07 said:

I have to restock items when they find their way into my house out of my kit or when I loose something! But yes, you are right about this.

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - I'm reading through this and thinking that we aren't biased at all, are we?:p:D

Of course we aren't.:D

Just like my kids are the cutest kids on the planet.:rolleyes:

Related to Is Selling Nonconsumable Products a Wise Choice in Today's Economy?

1. Is selling nonconsumable products a wise choice in today's economy?

It ultimately depends on the product and the demand for it. While some nonconsumable products may not see as much demand during tough economic times, others may still be in high demand. It's important to do market research and assess the current trends before making a decision.

2. How do nonconsumable products compare to consumable products in terms of sales potential?

Consumable products typically have a higher sales potential as they need to be replenished regularly. However, nonconsumable products can also generate steady sales if they are durable and have a long lifespan.

3. How can I address concerns about people not wanting to cook and therefore not needing Pampered Chef products?

While it's true that some people may not enjoy cooking, there are still many who do and are looking for ways to make it easier and more enjoyable. Additionally, our products can be used for more than just cooking, such as serving and storage, making them versatile for various needs.

4. Can selling nonconsumable products be profitable in the long run?

Yes, as long as you build a strong customer base and continue to offer new and innovative products, selling nonconsumable products can be profitable in the long run. It may also help to offer bundle deals or promotions to encourage repeat purchases.

5. How can I balance selling multiple nonconsumable products, such as Pampered Chef and another DS?

It's important to consider your time and resources before taking on another direct sales company. If you feel confident in your ability to manage both effectively, you can offer your customers a variety of products and potentially increase your sales. However, it's important to not spread yourself too thin and ensure you can still provide excellent customer service for both companies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Katiek77
  • chef131doreen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Bren706
Replies