• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is It Possible to Take Pampered Chef on the Road?

In summary, Trish is considering taking her home-based business on the road with her 15-year-old daughter in tow. She plans to leave "lead" boxes with informative materials at local merchants and check back for follow-up. She thinks this could work well as a publicity stunt in local newspapers or TV stations.
Shonda1107
It is rather amazing what happens when you think you could be facing your mortality sooner than you expected. I've been going through a battery of tests to determine if I have any of two types of cancers. One ordeal is over and I am fine -- need to keep checking every year though. The other set of tests should be done within the month.

Having this scare got me to thinking about all the things I've never done, want to do, need to do, those I'd leave behind, etc. I'm sure that is all normal but what I don't want to happen is to have my second set of tests come back fine and, with the dissolving fear, get back into the same boring, unfulfilled lifestyle I began to dread.

I'm entertaining the thought of hitting the road for a few months -- with my 15 year old daughter in tow (she's homeschooled through an accredated school in Maine). There soooo many details I have to work out so I don't foresee it happening tomorrow but thought it has to start somewhere. I envision us hitting specific points and hanging out in the area for up to two weeks before moving on. Has anyone ever taken PC on the road? What are your suggestions?

I'm in the process of creating 'lead' boxes for my area (don't know many folks). Staples has sturdy cardboard ballot boxes with headers that can be easily decorated with PC information and lead slips. I plan on leaving them at local (relevant) merchants and checking back for follow up. I think this could work out on the road as well, what do you think?

For those who share, thanks in advance!

Look into RV retailers to see if you can find groups of "on the road" people who would like our products. That's all I have right now.Sorry to hear about your health issues although it is great what you are planning to do with your kid!

Maybe try to line up some catty shows before you leave? You just need $200 every other month to stay active, so maybe space them out a little. The Dexhiemers had good luck too with RV groups on the road, Kate is right.

Best of luck to you, what a neat way to enjoy time with your daughter. Hope all is well w/your tests {{hugs}}

What about trucker's gas stations? "Send an order back to Mum."

What about local community centers or libraries along the way? "Cooking Live Shows."

If you stop in and visit with friends or family along the way, set up a cooking or catalog show in each locale.

It might even be a good publicity "stunt," to see if your local newspaper or TV station might let you do an article or piece on "Taking Your Home Based Business on the Road."

Those who RV or camp might also be a good source, although they have limited space.

It might even work if you visited Food Banks all over and promoted the "Round Up from the Heart" program.

Trish in Texas
Future Director and Recruiter
Just signed #3

You could even team up with HWC people and do roving shows.

Great ideas I would have never considered! What does HWC stand for?

HWC= Help Whip Cancer, we have special products each May for this to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

I'm a trucker's wife and have been on the road up to six weeks at a time. I have to say that while on the road, my intentions to do my business were good, but it didn't get done...my fault.

Advice about the truck stops. Truckers HATE...did I say HATE to be approached in their truck by sales people, peddlers, etc. Compare it to a sales person knocking on your door at home. Plus it can look like you're doing something else kwim. So whatever you do, PLEASE do not go through the parking lot and approach them that way.

Inside the restaurants would probably be your best bet, if you can get in with a 'nice' group. Truckers LOVE to talk, and offer their opinions : )
Or hanging out around the lobby of the t/s, you might be able to pass along some gift buying information to them and do okay.

Feel free to check with me on friendly areas around. I know of a particular one up in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts (Flynn's)..

You could probably do well with the waitresses at these t/s's too.

When I go back on the road with dh, I'm going to work harder at building my business around the country.

And don't forget to get a passport, in case you want to go to Canada (so you can get back in to our own country : )

You'd do real good for yourself if you go alllll the way to Vancouver, Canada, then go on the ferry to Sydney, BC....on Vancouver Island. Spend some time there. The people are awesomely nice, and it's beeutiful!!!! I highly recommend it!

Hope all turns out great for you.

Kris

Kris, are we permitted to recruit and sell in Canada too? That would be awesome! Or were you simply giving me travel recommendations (it sounds like a place we'll have to see for ourselves!) Thanks for the information - I love the waitress idea - great recruiting opportunity. Good luck with your efforts too!

US consultants can't sell in Canada and vice-versa. There is probably some special condition about recruiting, too. Check with HO.

chefann said:
US consultants can't sell in Canada and vice-versa. There is probably some special condition about recruiting, too. Check with HO.

I had checked with HO and they said no selling or recruiting in Canada.

That makes sense about Canada. Didn't really think about it (glad I never attempted any business while there!)
It'd still be an awesome place to go though....it's 2300 miles from my house here in Central Ohio though!

Kris

I'm about 20 miles from Canada. And they're actually south of me. ;)

We have an RV, and yes, I have taken my PC products with me, and done Shows in it. It has been more fun than profitable. I purchased the Town and Country outdoor sign and would put it out in front of our RV, at Bluegrass Festivals. At a Festival in Vermont, and another in NY, folks came knocking at my door to get items they had been wanting. I also took a display to a campground in PA, where we square dance, and for the last two summers, I have taken orders that we had shipped directly to dancer's homes. There was some reluctance by them to pay the direct shipping charges, so I split it with them. That definitely cut into my gain, and I no longer offer that option, especially since it increased the second summer.

When I registered at two other campgrounds, I offered to do a Show in their recreation bldg. but the owners did not take me up on the offer, and as it turned out, during the week, there were very few folks around during the days. There appeared to be some summer trailers that probably got used only on weekends, but very few passing through like us.

NOTE: These sales were like icing on the cake, for me. They just added to the fun of meeting folks and getting acquainted. My husband was there so I did not worry about inviting strangers into our RV. If I were single, with a teenage daughter, I'd probably not feel so safe.

Some Festivals have vendor tables that they charge for. I have seen folks selling other direct sell products but nobody with Pampered Chef. I personally have not been able to afford that plus the Festival fees. Most of the folks I have sold to, have wanted little gadgets and not the big ticket items that would take up precious space in an RV. I also find that they will buy items you have with you, but resist giving a check or charge card number for a direct shipment, unless they have known me in the past. I did have repeat sales in 2006, from those I sold to in 2005, at the same Festivals.

You could also just talk to everyone everywhere you go. If you stop somewhere on a Thursday make a few contacts and ask them to call their girlfriends and put a quick party together for Friday. Most people know better what they have going on in the next few days than in a few weeks. You could possibly get 2 or 3 in a weekend. Even if the host can only get 3-5 people there that's not bad for last minute and she could still get outside orders. Will you have email (wireless internet) and a cell phone with good coverage?

Talk to people everywhere. Make sure you have logo stuff on your vehicle and clothes. I would invest in a few PC shirts and a bag (purse or large overnight bag). I have made contacts at the grocery store, gas station, playground, library, and restaurants. You have to just be out there.

I hope the Lord blesses you. Regardless of what the doctors say I think this would be an awesome thing to share with your daughter. What a great experience and legacy you would be leaving her.

ihavethetools said:
I'm a trucker's wife and have been on the road up to six weeks at a time. I have to say that while on the road, my intentions to do my business were good, but it didn't get done...my fault.

Advice about the truck stops. Truckers HATE...did I say HATE to be approached in their truck by sales people, peddlers, etc. Compare it to a sales person knocking on your door at home. Plus it can look like you're doing something else kwim. So whatever you do, PLEASE do not go through the parking lot and approach them that way.

Inside the restaurants would probably be your best bet, if you can get in with a 'nice' group. Truckers LOVE to talk, and offer their opinions : )
Or hanging out around the lobby of the t/s, you might be able to pass along some gift buying information to them and do okay.

Feel free to check with me on friendly areas around. I know of a particular one up in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts (Flynn's)..

You could probably do well with the waitresses at these t/s's too.

When I go back on the road with dh, I'm going to work harder at building my business around the country.

And don't forget to get a passport, in case you want to go to Canada (so you can get back in to our own country : )

You'd do real good for yourself if you go alllll the way to Vancouver, Canada, then go on the ferry to Sydney, BC....on Vancouver Island. Spend some time there. The people are awesomely nice, and it's beeutiful!!!! I highly recommend it!

Hope all turns out great for you.

Kris
I live in Northborough the next town over from Shrewsbury. If anyone goes to Flynn's let me know and I will come say HI!!!!

Cool! When i go on the road with my dh I'll have to remember that. I haven't been to Flynn's in a long time. If you're ever by there though, and you see a person with a huge white dog walking around the truck stop, that would be me (we have two white dogs but I don't know how much longer our precious smaller one will last). Our big one is a Great Pyrenees.
Both our dogs go on the truck with us, and love it. They've been all over the country and everywhere with us.
They love all the attention they get. LOL

Kristin, I heard there was a student killed in Shrewsbury today....so sad. : (

Kris

ihavethetools said:
Cool! When i go on the road with my dh I'll have to remember that. I haven't been to Flynn's in a long time. If you're ever by there though, and you see a person with a huge white dog walking around the truck stop, that would be me (we have two white dogs but I don't know how much longer our precious smaller one will last). Our big one is a Great Pyrenees.
Both our dogs go on the truck with us, and love it. They've been all over the country and everywhere with us.
They love all the attention they get. LOL

Kristin, I heard there was a student killed in Shrewsbury today....so sad. : (

Kris
It was actually in Sudbury a couple towns over in the opposite direction.
Very Sad!!!!!

Shonda1107 said:
It is rather amazing what happens when you think you could be facing your mortality sooner than you expected. I've been going through a battery of tests to determine if I have any of two types of cancers. One ordeal is over and I am fine -- need to keep checking every year though. The other set of tests should be done within the month.

Having this scare got me to thinking about all the things I've never done, want to do, need to do, those I'd leave behind, etc. I'm sure that is all normal but what I don't want to happen is to have my second set of tests come back fine and, with the dissolving fear, get back into the same boring, unfulfilled lifestyle I began to dread.

I'm entertaining the thought of hitting the road for a few months -- with my 15 year old daughter in tow (she's homeschooled through an accredated school in Maine). There soooo many details I have to work out so I don't foresee it happening tomorrow but thought it has to start somewhere. I envision us hitting specific points and hanging out in the area for up to two weeks before moving on. Has anyone ever taken PC on the road? What are your suggestions?

I'm in the process of creating 'lead' boxes for my area (don't know many folks). Staples has sturdy cardboard ballot boxes with headers that can be easily decorated with PC information and lead slips. I plan on leaving them at local (relevant) merchants and checking back for follow up. I think this could work out on the road as well, what do you think?

For those who share, thanks in advance!

Hey Shonda-

I am very sorry to hear about your health conditions. Hopefully everything works out for the best. I am sure it is a hard spot right now, but thinking about all the possiblities you can do for yourself is a GREAT way to look at things. We just lost my mother in - law suddenly to a heart attack while she was out of vacation. Can you imagine what we would have done if we were given a warning? We would have toted her about all over the place, taken her to hollywood and what not. We thought we would have had a NEXT time! If you want to go RV'ing then DO IT! There isn't a better time than now. I am sure you can make whatever your heart desires work out for you! I know travelling to GA and back, I gotta say it is amazing all of the people you talk to. All of the great places you can visit! Though I did HATE TEXAS! :/ lol.

I think my only reservation is: How would you get supplies shipped to you? I mean if you run out of stuff??!? Maybe you will have to just pick one of us and do a "drive by" :D lol. Take care of yourself! Good Luck with everything. :)

Though I did HATE TEXAS! :/ lol.

Wow Margie! You hate Texas? Is it because it's so big? I'd say my least favorite trip is east bound on I 40 from Barstow, California all the way to Kingman, AZ. Boring!

As for supplies...i had an ah ah moment last night. Was relaxing after making some phone calls and BAM it hit me.......for when I go back out on the road. Make up host packets ahead of time, make several, for how many you want to book (for me when I get back home to do shows) and go to the Post office and weigh them, and have them all ready to mail no matter where we are.

(this works for me because it's not so practical to pull a big rig up in to town, parallel park or park anywhere for that matter and stop at the post office...not to mention we are careful on not going 'out of route.')

But think how easy it would be to have them all made up, put them in a portable file and your business can still be done no matter where you are.

Kris

Want to thank everyone for the words of encouragement and advice. This has been both helpful and uplifting!

Shonda,

Merrill Corp will be offering nice PC lead boxes next month. I saw them at Leadership.

ihavethetools said:
Wow Margie! You hate Texas?

No it was where I encountered my FIRST REAL TORNADO! Driving on the interstate and seeing a HUGE "Wizard of Oz" tornando barrelling towards you... storm chasers... golf ball hail yeah.. scared the crap out of me! Plus, every single time I drove through there, I always catch a storm..:eek:

Oh yeah, wonderful storms of any kind in Texas...not fun.
Gee...you could have took safety in a ditch! I tell people I will NEVER get in some ditch thinking it will keep me safe from a tornado! YIKES...snakes, you just don't know. Hope I never see one like that.

Dh is sleeping in Texas right now in fact.

I will NEVER think that a ditch will save me. I might as well just FLY. lol. :D

1. What is "on theRoad With Pampered Chef"?

"on theRoad With Pampered Chef" is a program created by Pampered Chef to bring our products and cooking experiences directly to our customers' homes. It allows us to showcase our high-quality kitchen tools and demonstrate delicious recipes in a fun and interactive setting.

2. How do I host an "on theRoad With Pampered Chef" party?

To host an "on theRoad With Pampered Chef" party, simply contact your local Pampered Chef consultant and schedule a date for the party. Your consultant will bring all the necessary supplies and ingredients for a successful cooking demonstration in the comfort of your own home.

3. Are there any benefits to hosting an "on theRoad With Pampered Chef" party?

Yes, there are many benefits to hosting an "on theRoad With Pampered Chef" party. As a host, you can earn free and discounted products, receive exclusive host gifts, and have the opportunity to try new recipes and kitchen tools. It's also a great way to spend time with friends and family while learning new cooking techniques.

4. Can I purchase Pampered Chef products at an "on theRoad With Pampered Chef" party?

Yes, you can purchase Pampered Chef products at an "on theRoad With Pampered Chef" party. Your consultant will have a wide selection of products available for purchase, and you can also place orders for any items you may be interested in. Plus, there are often special discounts and promotions offered at these parties.

5. How can I become a Pampered Chef consultant and participate in "on theRoad With Pampered Chef"?

To become a Pampered Chef consultant and participate in "on theRoad With Pampered Chef", you can sign up through our website or contact a current consultant for more information. Our consultants have the opportunity to host "on theRoad With Pampered Chef" parties and earn income through product sales and bookings. It's a fun and flexible way to run your own business and share your passion for cooking with others.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LCOLACHICO
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • zjraby
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Christyinhi
  • completelychristie