• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Calvert Curriculum Worth the Investment for Homeschooling?

In summary, many parents homeschool their children, using different materials. Calvert may be a bit pricey, but some parents swear by it. Veritas is also popular. One parent recommends reading Lisa Whelchel's book "So Your Thinking About Homeschooling".
jenniferlynne
Ok, I know this isn't a PC question, but just wondering how many of you homeschool your children and what material do you use? Anyone use Calvert? It seems a little pricey.

We do :)
I am currently using k12 (virtual charter school) for my 2 oldest boys...
We are switching to "straight" home schooling this coming year. I am more of an eclectic and tend to get bored, so I am not going to be using packaged curriculum. Haven't heard much about Calvert, I know some Moms who use Sonlight and love it... K12's curriculum is very good also..

I homeschooled my 10 year old through first and second grades but had to put him in public school when dh and I went through marital problems. We are good now but ds isn't interested in coming back home. I sure wish he would.
My 4 year old little girl will be preschooling this coming year. I want to be more organized with her than I was with ds so I will be checking into boxed curriculum for her. I was always interested in Sonlight but at the time, I couldn't afford it. I ended up teaching from the internet, PBS, and workbooks I found at Wallmart.

Jennifer, I am so excited you started this thread. I am considering home schooling my son (he is only 2 right now) and I have been so interested in other's thoughts and how they do it!

We are homeschooling. I have a 7 year old and a 5 year old. I'm probably sticking with Veritas material for next year.

And for young ages look into Five in a Row. My kids loved it.

Tracie

Wow. I've never even heard of some of these companies. I will have to look into them. There is a company that provides free homeschool curriculum, but it's not available in all States yet (including mine). It's called Connections Academy. I believe they send you books and everything for free.

I homeschool my children, aged 14 and 11. We use mostly Alpha and Omega. If your children like book work (mine love it:) ), this is a great choice. I recommend you find a book by Lisa Whelchel (Blair from the TV series Facts of Life). The title is "So Your Thinking About Homeschooling". This book answers lots of questions and gives a look into the school days of 12 or so homeschooling families

We homeschool our 3 children (ages 6, 8 & 10). They only attended preschool and I've schooled them from then on. My oldest started with Alpha Omega in K, but it was too easy for her. She needed to be a bit more challenged and so we did Abeka Academy (Traditional) for 1st grade.
From 2nd grade on we've used Abeka's DVD Program which I think is GREAT! All 3 of my kids have been doing really good on it. IT IS a more accelerated program, but they enjoy it a lot. They have what they call Motel Display Meetings. Visit there website to get a sample DVD or to inquire about Motel Meetings near you.
http://www.abekaacademy.org

I homeschool my son which is 5 years old soon to be 6. We did K4 & K5 with ABEKA and are going to stick with it. He will be in 1st grade next school year. I like how organized it is and how easy it is to teach. We do the traditional ABEKA. Because ABEKA is a bit pricey, I buy used books except for the actual work books, those I buy new.

This is why I like Pampered Chef it allows me to bring some income in while still be able to stay home and home school. I have prayed about this and God has really blessed.

Does each state have certain guidelines that you have to follow?

I have already registered my son for Kindergarten, but I haven't had to pay yet. I can't wait until I get to tell the school why I don't want to send him there. The school itself is pretty decent, it's mainly the way other people raise their kids now days. I just don't agree with a lot of things people let their kids do, the music they listen to and the things they watch on TV. I want to make sure my son isn't around all that. Plus, the skimpy clothes the girls wear now days. I've seen how public school has influenced my two step-daughters (both of whom I have offered to homeschool and they have refused), and it won't happen to my son as long as I can help it (or afford to homeschool).

I am doing a preschool for my son who is 4 but doing it with a mom who is homeschooling her kids we have been using the noah plan since one girl is 6 and kindergarten age my son has been doing kindergarten math I can get you more info if you want.

I've never heard of the Noah Plan. Do they have a website?

Last edited:
I too, have homeschooled. I have used SonLight Curriculum. A literature based curriculum. We really enjoy it. They have a great science and the history corralates with the literature. It really brings things alive for my son.

lovetocook64

I homeschooled my sons from 5th and 3rd grades through graduation (and did Pampered Chef at the time too). They are now graduated and in Air National Guard and Air Force.
We used Liberty Christian Academy for the first year, then did a lot of Abeka, and Saxon Math. Then in High School we did the fantastic HomeSat program through Bob Jones University, and enrolled in Academy of Home Education.

HomeSat was great in that it got us through those tough subjects that I no longer could keep up with (Physics, Advanced Math....all that fun stuff).

Kris

Related to Is Calvert Curriculum Worth the Investment for Homeschooling?

1. What is the Calvert Curriculum?

The Calvert Curriculum is a comprehensive, flexible homeschooling curriculum that has been used by families for over 100 years. It includes lesson plans, textbooks, and online resources for grades K-12.

2. How does the Calvert Curriculum compare to other homeschooling options?

The Calvert Curriculum is unique in that it offers a complete package of materials and resources, as opposed to piecing together different resources from various sources. It also provides ongoing support and guidance for parents, making it a more comprehensive and efficient option for homeschooling.

3. How do parents incorporate the Calvert Curriculum into their homeschooling routine?

The Calvert Curriculum provides a daily lesson plan and clear instructions, making it easy for parents to follow and incorporate into their homeschooling routine. Parents can also tailor the curriculum to fit their child's individual needs and learning style.

4. Are there any additional materials or resources needed to use the Calvert Curriculum?

The Calvert Curriculum provides all necessary materials and resources for each grade level. However, parents may choose to supplement with additional materials or resources to enhance their child's learning experience.

5. Can the Calvert Curriculum be used for multiple children at different grade levels?

Yes, the Calvert Curriculum is designed to be used for multiple children at different grade levels. Parents can easily adapt the curriculum to meet the needs of each child, making it a convenient option for families with multiple children.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• teresah551393
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
jeninthekitchen5
  • DeeisPampered
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
maryhenderlite
Replies