• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Iodine Pills and the Calm Resilience of Japan: Lessons for America"

LEARN! The Japanese are setting an excellent example of how a nation can get more recovery tasks accomplished when those who are involved remain calm. The workers can focus on solving what's already occurred without being distracted with new issues.In summary, the conversation discusses the panic and rush for iodine pills in response to the nuclear crisis in Japan. The speaker shares their observations of the Japanese culture and how they are handling the situation with calmness and resilience. They also criticize the American media for sensationalizing the news and urge people to remain calm and learn from the Japanese. The conversation also mentions a potential business opportunity and the need for people to do their own research before succ
Sheila
Gold Member
I've been watching mostly Japanese news, but hubby had the TV on Fox News tonight when he went to bed. I just saw a big argument on iodine pills on the news. Marghi had already mentioned that there were a couple of local stores sold out of the supplements, but now the news is talking about it.

Really??? I guess I'm just dumbfounded. If you are one of those people, I implore you to just take a step back ... and breathe. The Japanese are a very calm and resilient culture. They are all so passive during this experience. Most apologized to the rescue workers for needing to be rescued. They are patiently standing in lines to get food & water and to have their turn to talk on a phone to call friends/family and relay that they are safe. There are no riots, no looting, no panic and no civil unrest. They don't even have armed police guarding the shelters. Right now is a great time for America and the rest of the world to just take a step back ... observe ... and LEARN! The Japanese are setting an excellent example of how a nation can get more recovery tasks accomplished when those who are involved remain calm. The workers can focus on solving what's already occurred without being distracted with new issues.

PLEASE, just breathe. No one in America is in immediate danger. There's no need for panic and rushing the stores for anything. ;)

Even here on this base I've seen some silly things. I can understand people buying bread, water & flashlights ... but emptying the shelves of all the toilet paper??? Really??? :rolleyes:

And Americans wonder why the rest of the world thinks we're crazy. BECAUSE WE ARE! :D :(

Fox News is just trying to get ratings by blowing a tiny story into a big one, that's the problem. Most of us are calm and are not raiding Rite Aid or CVS for Iodine pills.

;)My Dad is now deceased, but he used to say "Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large numbers" ... I'm starting to see some truth to that statement.Another quote of his that I've since found to be true: "If given enough time, everyone will be promoted beyond their level of competency."

Sheila said:
;)

"If given enough time, everyone will be promoted beyond their level of competency."

I use this quote all the time here at work! LOL! ;)

I pretty much refuse to turn the news on at this point. The news I need, I'm getting from either you, or another friend who's husband is stationed at Yokota (she works for the 36th Airlift Squadron I believe, wonder if you could know her?). The big news networks use scare tactics and sensationalize everything they report. I want the real thing.

That's funny Kathy!mountainmama74: is your friend a PC Consultant? LOL So far the only ones that I know up there are because their Director sought me out for hospitality. With traffic, it's about a 2 hour drive. I've only been up there twice.

A guy that I work with said that his wife told him that they need to go get Iodine pills immediately. We all laughed and told him that she is crazy.

Sheila said:
That's funny Kathy!

mountainmama74: is your friend a PC Consultant? LOL So far the only ones that I know up there are because their Director sought me out for hospitality. With traffic, it's about a 2 hour drive. I've only been up there twice.

No, not yet ;) but she loves the product and would make a great one! I've been thinking about talking to her about it.... :D

Heidi, yes ... it's panic starting to set in. :( Tell them to do some online research about having too much of THAT substance in their system & then think again.mm, sign her up! I'd be her Hospitality Director! ;)

Hubby is a news junkie & gets mad when I change channels! I refuse to listen to all the hype. Told him well rely on Sheila's first-hand knowledge to get the real story!

Sheila said:
The Japanese are a very calm and resilient culture. They are all so passive during this experience. Most apologized to the rescue workers for needing to be rescued. They are patiently standing in lines to get food & water and to have their turn to talk on a phone to call friends/family and relay that they are safe. There are no riots, no looting, no panic and no civil unrest. They don't even have armed police guarding the shelters. Right now is a great time for America and the rest of the world to just take a step back ... observe ... and LEARN! The Japanese are setting an excellent example of how a nation can get more recovery tasks accomplished when those who are involved remain calm. The workers can focus on solving what's already occurred without being distracted with new issues.

Well said.

People don't realize how much radiation we are exposed to every day! When you fly in an airplane during the day, you are exposed to it. Having a CELL PHONE exposes you to daily doses. It's everywhere. Maybe not in high levels to ever make anyone sick (cell phones and a few other items are debatable over TIME exposure/use).So they are just being crazy (US, not Japan).

chefa said:
Hubby is a news junkie & gets mad when I change channels! I refuse to listen to all the hype. Told him well rely on Sheila's first-hand knowledge to get the real story!

LOL Thanks for the vote of confidence! :D

pchockeymom said:
Well said.

Thanks

esavvymom said:
People don't realize how much radiation we are exposed to every day! When you fly in an airplane during the day, you are exposed to it. Having a CELL PHONE exposes you to daily doses. It's everywhere. Maybe not in high levels to ever make anyone sick (cell phones and a few other items are debatable over TIME exposure/use).
Yep -- have you ever seen how much radiation is in Granite countertops? Yikes! I don't have them because of it....but then again, I live between 2 Nuclear Power Plants (Joliet, IL and Benton Harbor, MI), so I am sure I already glow in the dark!Sending prayers to Japan.

jwpamp said:
... I am sure I already glow in the dark!...

THAT ... I would like to see! ;) Thanks girl.

Want to bet people are buying them so they can make big bucks re-selling them to whom ever is needing them :(

yesterday at work (I work in a pharmacy) we had people calling us looking for potassium iodine. The only way we can get it is in 1 pound jars, not liquid, no capsules, no tablets that jar costs about $50. THEN they wanted to know how to take it at which point we told them forget it, we won't order it. Everyone else we told we couldn't get it.

The only person we were looking for some meds for was a flight attendant who was going to Japan. As a precaution, it makes sense for that ONE INDIVIDUAL to get something. I live in WISCONSIN. We are in NO DANGER of radiation. Some people are concerned because so much of our food comes from California and it might have radiation. People just need to get a grip and chill.

Have you seen the people actually selling these already on E-bay?! OMG! Just when you think you have heard everything $2500! People seriously do need to take lessons from the people in Japan and their graciousness in this horrible time.

Do you remember what you had to do if your doctor legitimately prescribed you Cipro immediately after 9/11, since people were trying to stockpile it?I laughed at those people until I found out the people employing me at that time had stockpiled Cipro too. :/

I wonder how much of it is people in the USA (Besides west coast/Hawaii- though I'd be surprised if they were greatly affected ANYWAY), but being devils advocate for a moment- this whole situation does tend to make you think about the "What-if" if you live within certain miles of a nuclear plant. I know I live within 50 miles of one. You can't help but think "what if something happened". How many people are thinking that "hey- maybe this is something I should have in my closet- JUST in case something happens to the plant close to me." Maybe they aren't seriously thinking the plant issues in Japan are a real threat.Then again, what am I thinking...of course they are id-10-ts out there who are thinking Japan WILL affect them.

I could be wrong, but I thought that everyone within a certain mile radius in the US already had Iodine pills? I know my friends in college that lived in the Groton CT area did. I thought the town(s) gave them the pills... or maybe they just advised them to buy them... I am fuzzy on the details now... but I really thought "everyone" had them near plants.

magentablue said:
I could be wrong, but I thought that everyone within a certain mile radius in the US already had Iodine pills? I know my friends in college that lived in the Groton CT area did. I thought the town(s) gave them the pills... or maybe they just advised them to buy them... I am fuzzy on the details now... but I really thought "everyone" had them near plants.

If they do- it must be the immediate area. I know I've seen on the news that those right around have them. But I'm less than 40 miles via the highway, so probably less "as the crow flies", and I've lived much closer before (under 20 miles), and we never had them. Shoot, we weren't even TOLD about the plant. It was one of those "what is that on the horizon?" kind of moments as we were driving - seeing first the big plumes of steam that comes from it. :)

I wonder how many people in the US put their house on the market this week to try and move further away from a nuclear facility?

I was 5 during the Chernobyl incident, and in Finland at the time (the first nation outside the USSR to detect the radiation). I don't really remember anything of it, and I believe we were just advised to stay inside. I turned out fine.We used to live within 50 miles of a nuclear facility when we were in California, and I know there were some directions on precautions in our phone book, but I'm not aware of us having iodine on hand for a precaution.

I think to be fair we have to consider that most Americans don't understand the whole nuclear thing and the media is making a big deal about the dangers and preying on the unknown/fears (not saying there isn't any but...). We were listening to PBS today and their analysis was much more balanced.

I agree that the American media likes to focus on the worst news possible. If they have something that sounds worse than the next station, they have everyone watching & the ratings that they are needing. :(I haven't been watching much of the American news. I'm usually on one of the Japanese channels. Hubby left it on Fox News last night & I was amazed at how stressed out they were! I tried to call in, but didn't see a number on their web page. Then tried to e-mail, but it was kicked back that they current show's mailbox was full. That segment went off the air before I found the phone number and the next segment was a different reporter & much calmer talk about the chances of radiation hitting the US and the need for iodine supplements. That first one though ... I felt like I was watching Jerry Springer. It was crazy!

It is funny how we as Americans, as Greg put it, ARE CRAZY! Can you imagine if something like this were to happen here? There would be no lines at the grocery stores, just massive break ins and looting, panic every where and no one would get anything done! And news reporters only stoking the bizarre behavior with such blown out of proportion TV reports that we would all be inclined to believe it was the end of the world! Look at 9/11! All we heard about for days afterward was who was going to get hit next. Oh and we here in Milwaukee are about 60 to 70 miles from a nuclear plant as well. And no, I do not stock pile iodine. That stuff is dangerous when taken incorrectly. Like daily without a radiation event! It of itself can cause cancer and shut down internal organs. So if you are one of those, STOP IT! You are only doing more harm than good.

Not that I'm trying to give anybody any ideas ... but I wouldn't be surprised if we arrived & found protesters wanting us to leave because we were "contaminated" or something! LOL

For Pete's sake don't say that! I hope we have not become that goofy! I would just want to know if you glow in the dark!

I think they will dump us on the west coast.

Sheila said:
I think they will dump us on the west coast.

That makes the most sense. Nancy (nanisu) is out that way, and I'm sure there are others as well. And you'll probably be most likely to head to Texas from there.

My DH is a Level 1 & 2 Radiological incident 1st responder. His unit is the parent unit (command center) for the 3 spread across the US. They have not even been contacted for support or advice on any possible radiological contamination anywhere in the world. The media is not what anyone should be watching. I am a CNN junkie and even I know that most of what is said is blown waaay out of proportion.Shelia -- When you land in the US I am sure that you will find that one kooky person who is afraid all of you will contaminate them. Gotta love all of us crazy Americans.

I'll have to explain to them that I've had less radiation exposure than someone who just had a CT scan! LOL

Oh boy! I guess I don't watch enough news (which is a good thing since it drives me crazy) I was under the impression people were buying iodine for 2 reasons 1) To send to friends/family in Japan and 2)To make $$$ on ebay. It didn't even dawn on me that the crazies here would take it themselves. WTH! Why???I live within 50 miles of a nuclear power plant. So what? I live about 2 miles from 2 major highways. I think I'm more at risk from a crazy driver causing a tanker truck to tip over, causing a hazmat incident close to my house.

1. What are iodine pills and why are they being discussed in relation to the situation in Japan?

Iodine pills, also known as potassium iodide, are a type of supplement that can protect the body from the harmful effects of radioactive iodine. They are being discussed in relation to the situation in Japan because of the potential release of radioactive material from the damaged nuclear power plants.

2. Are iodine pills necessary for Americans to have during this time?

No, iodine pills are not necessary for Americans to have during this time. The current levels of radiation in the United States are not high enough to pose a significant health risk. It is important to follow the guidelines and updates from the government and health officials.

3. Why are iodine pills sold out in some stores?

Some people may have purchased iodine pills out of fear and concern for the potential spread of radiation. However, it is important to note that they are not necessary for most Americans and hoarding them can prevent those who truly need them from having access.

4. How is the Japanese culture handling the situation with calm and resilience?

The Japanese culture prioritizes keeping a calm and respectful demeanor, even in the face of adversity. This has been evident in their response to the natural disasters and nuclear crisis. They are patiently waiting in lines for necessary supplies and showing gratitude to rescue workers, setting an example for the rest of the world.

5. What can Americans and the rest of the world learn from the Japanese response?

We can learn the importance of remaining calm and respectful during times of crisis. By not panicking and causing chaos, we can better focus on addressing the issues at hand and work towards a more effective recovery. It is also important to trust in the guidance and updates from government and health officials, rather than acting out of fear.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Back