1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Invited to Networking group

1. PamperedchefDaly

PamperedchefDaly Member Gold Member

I know that there was a thread somewhere on CS on this topic, but I've searched extensively and can't find it. Forgive me for repeating this question.

I got a phone call from a Mary Kay rep the other day (referred by one of my customers), inviting me to attend a networking group that meets once a month. She said that I should bring a small display, and also my business information. The way she describes it is that I get to tell my story and business op, and everyone else tells theirs.

I remember reading on one of the threads that someone went to one, and it turned out to be more of a Mary Kay recruiting promotion than anything else.

Any thoughts out there? Thanks.

2. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

I remember seeing that too, but I also know some people have had good luck with groups. It just depends on what kind of group it is, and you won't know it before you check it out. If it's a legitimate group, you should be able to go as a guest/visitor before you decide to join.

Rae writes about her networking group occasionally in her blog: Momma Bates's Blog

She's also posted about some of her meetings in this thread: http://www.chefsuccess.com/f12/take-charge-take-action-2009-2010-a-54150/

Oct 24, 2009
  3. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Thanks for the plug, Noora. :) It's funny because the person who first invited me to my networking group is a Mary Kay rep. I love my networking group, and it's been a boon to my business in a couple of different ways. It's really about making connections, so there isn't anything like a display. We do share, but it's mostly so other people can get a sense of what type of people they should send our way.

I'd ask a few more questions. Is it really a networking group? Is there a fee to participate? Is there a limit on the number of same-type businesses that can join? Know what you're getting involved with before you start.

In my networking group you are allowed to attend 2 regular meetings before you join so that you can decide if it's truly for you. Only one of any specific type of business is allowed. The group is focused and respectful of the members' time.

Oct 24, 2009
  4. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Legacy Member Gold Member

I totally agree with everything Rae has to say. I have been involved in NW groups for over 2 years and they are all different. Ask more q's and go for a visit.

Oct 25, 2009
  5. kcont

kcont Member

check out meetup.com and you can find lots of groups....

Oct 25, 2009
  6. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

♫♪♪ Music to my ears. ♪♪♫ :sing: :D

Oct 25, 2009
  7. PamperedchefDaly

PamperedchefDaly Member Gold Member

Thanks for your feedback. Based on everyone's advice, I asked the right questions, and I will probably go for a meeting or two. It sounds like it might be advantageous. At least my name will get out into a different group of people--that's always a plus!

Have something to add?