• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Indoor Plant Lights for Successful Gardening | Tips for Starting Seeds

In summary, sun in the house is limited, so an indoor plant light may be a good solution. Another solution is to buy a light fixture that has more light.
jbachen
So, since I have become a SAHM I have been trying my hand at gardening, and I have found that I have a brown thumb... but I am trying it again this year. I am hoping that some of my problem has been that the seeds I have started inside and transplanted outside have been started too late and transplanted when they were still too small... so I am working right now on starting my seeds.

Unfortunately sun in my house is limited. Does anyone know of any indoor plant lights I can get to simulate sunlight indoors? Preferably without breaking the bank? Thanks!

Buy an inexpensive florescent light fixture (I don’t know how many seeds you are germinating, decide if you need a 2’ or 4’ fixture) and then buy lights. If you are germinating in the basement, you’ll probably need a piece of chain (the light may come with this) so that you can hang the fixture over the table where your seeds are waiting to sprout.

You don’t have to buy the super expensive “grow” bulbs. Look at the packaging – there are probably some less expensive bulbs that provide what you need, they just don’t say “grow” or “plants” on them.

Read your seed packages. You don’t want to sprout things too early – or they’ll be over grown before you can safely (after frost) put them in the ground.

One more thing that can help make your seeds hardier, put a fan (the oscillating kind works well) near your growing area. When your seeds have sprouted, subject your tiny plants to some air for an hour or so a day.

Im kind of in the same boat that you are in (SAHM, trying my hand at gardening). I dont use a light, on sunny days (or even non rainy days) I put the plants in the sunlight and move them as the sun moves. It seems to work alright.

ChefClairissa said:
Im kind of in the same boat that you are in (SAHM, trying my hand at gardening). I dont use a light, on sunny days (or even non rainy days) I put the plants in the sunlight and move them as the sun moves. It seems to work alright.

I tried that in years past... I just forgot to move them. They are lucky when I remember to water them, really. :blushing:

But if I cannot come up with an inexpensive, non-space-consuming (this was the other restriction I forgot to mention) solution, this may be it...

chefjeanine said:
Buy an inexpensive florescent light fixture (I don’t know how many seeds you are germinating, decide if you need a 2’ or 4’ fixture) and then buy lights. If you are germinating in the basement, you’ll probably need a piece of chain (the light may come with this) so that you can hang the fixture over the table where your seeds are waiting to sprout.

You don’t have to buy the super expensive “grow” bulbs. Look at the packaging – there are probably some less expensive bulbs that provide what you need, they just don’t say “grow” or “plants” on them.

Read your seed packages. You don’t want to sprout things too early – or they’ll be over grown before you can safely (after frost) put them in the ground.

One more thing that can help make your seeds hardier, put a fan (the oscillating kind works well) near your growing area. When your seeds have sprouted, subject your tiny plants to some air for an hour or so a day.

Thanks for the great advice! Right now I am starting the seeds that say to give them 8 weeks to start inside... so they should be ready around Mother's Day which, as I understand in my area, is a good time to start. (I waited until Memorial Day last weekend and got food way late!)

I like the fan idea, too, and I already have one.

But I have one more question about the lamp bulbs - what am I looking for is not "plant" or "grow"? Thanks!

jbachen said:
So, since I have become a SAHM I have been trying my hand at gardening, and I have found that I have a brown thumb... but I am trying it again this year. I am hoping that some of my problem has been that the seeds I have started inside and transplanted outside have been started too late and transplanted when they were still too small... so I am working right now on starting my seeds.

Unfortunately sun in my house is limited. Does anyone know of any indoor plant lights I can get to simulate sunlight indoors? Preferably without breaking the bank? Thanks!

What I started doing is around Mother's Day weekend I go to a greenhouse near me and pick up a flat of plants(veggies) around $12, then plant them in my garden. It seems to help. I see that you live in NJ and I live in NY so the temp is the same. I love my garden and can't wait to start planting. To me it is like therapy. :p Good Luck!

jbachen said:
But I have one more question about the lamp bulbs - what am I looking for is not "plant" or "grow"? Thanks!

You can purchase "grow" bulbs but you may be able to find some that don't have that label which contain the same sort of properties (UV rays or whatever it is that the grow lights provide that regular fluorescents don’t). Does that make sense?

If you look for “full spectrum” lights, I think these will meet your needs and may be cheaper than something that says “grow light” on the package (you said you were trying to save some money). Just read the packaging and you should be able to figure out which lights will work. The big box home stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) usually carry a good selection of bulbs.

Have fun! Starting plants from scratch is so cool!!

I planted a garden outside last year in big containers. I did not start from seed, except from my cucumders, I bought the plants and started with them. That may be something you want to think about instead of investing what all you would need to start from seeds.

I am adding more containers this year b/c I loved being able to go outside and pick fresh! We live in a neighborhood with a small yard, so, plowing my yard is not an option! HA!! My dad and FIL got my barrels and containers from the Feed & Seed store in the area. My husband went to my dad's horse pen and filled them up for me.

I probably will be at the garden centers around Mothers Day getting plants also, since I have no illusions about being able to get an entire garden to grow from seeds! Been there, done that, and got NOTHING to show for it.But I do like to grow a few things from seed, for a couple of reasons - I like the feeling of accomplishment; seeds are cheaper than plants; and I can never buy the plants in the quantities I want unless I wait until late in the season... I hate to buy a flat of 6 plants if I only have room for three in my garden, because then I feel like I am playing God and killing 3 plants. I know, I am such a SAP! :)Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

1. What are indoor plant lights and why are they necessary for gardening?

Indoor plant lights are artificial lights specifically designed to mimic the natural sunlight needed for plant growth. They are necessary for gardening because they provide plants with the light spectrum and intensity needed for photosynthesis, which is essential for plant growth and development.

2. What types of indoor plant lights are available for successful gardening?

There are various types of indoor plant lights available, including LED, fluorescent, and incandescent lights. LED lights are energy-efficient and emit a full spectrum of light, making them ideal for growing a variety of plants. Fluorescent lights are also energy-efficient and provide a cool and even light, making them suitable for starting seeds. Incandescent lights are less energy-efficient but provide a warm light that is ideal for flowering plants.

3. How far should indoor plant lights be placed from the plants?

The distance between the plant and the light source will depend on the type of plant, the type of light, and the intensity of the light. As a general rule, LED lights can be placed 12-24 inches away from plants, while fluorescent lights should be placed 6-12 inches away. Incandescent lights should be placed 24-36 inches away to prevent heat damage to plants.

4. Can indoor plant lights be used for all stages of plant growth?

Yes, indoor plant lights can be used for all stages of plant growth, from seed starting to flowering. However, the type and intensity of the light may need to be adjusted as the plant grows and matures. Seedlings and young plants may require less intense light, while flowering plants may require more intense light.

5. How long should indoor plant lights be left on per day?

The duration of time that indoor plant lights should be left on per day will depend on the type of plant and the stage of growth. Most plants require 12-16 hours of light per day, while some may require more or less. It is best to research the specific lighting needs of the plants you are growing or consult with a gardening expert for more accurate timing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
StacieB
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
letscook04