• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Incredibly Useless Information About Today's Nfc Championship Game

In summary, the Giants and the Packers have met five times to settle the NFL Championship question, with the Packers winning the first three times. The Green Bay Packers have a catchy song called "The Packer's Fight Song" and a stylized "G" on their helmets. The Packers' uniform colors are blue and gold, but they changed the blue color to green in 1959. The coldest championship game in Green Bay was held on December 31, 1967, and was known as "The Ice Bowl."
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
This is hardly the first time these two teams have met in the Championship Game, although in their previous meetings, the game was for the NFL Title and not just the NFC Title.

The Giants and the Packers have met 5 times to settle the NFL Championship question, the Giants won the first time but haven't taken the championship game from the Packers since. I'm not going to retell the entire history here, if you would like to, you can read all about it on http://www.jrmanning.com.

The Green Bay Packers have had an official fight song since 1931. Although I haven't heard it on a broadcast in about twenty years. It's a catchy tune, one that I've always liked. It is up on YouTube along with some of the goofiest lyrics you've ever seen. (No one, thankfully, is singing with this video posting.) The introduction is from Bart Starr, who was a very young player at the time this recording was made. At one time, the Packers had a small band in the stands that played this song when the team took the field or scored.

The lyrics include a line about "...you blue and gold..." because the team's official uniform colors were blue and gold until 1959, when Vince Lombardi redesigned the uniform and changed the blue color to green. The uniform has changed very little since Lombardi designed it in 1959.

The stylized "G" on the helmet was added in 1961. The logo was designed by the Packers' equipment manager, Don Braischer. The University of Georgia and Grambling State use the same G on their helmets, with different colors of course, by special arrangement with The Green Bay Packers.

The "gold" of the uniform is more of a maize, similar to the color used by the University of Michigan. General Manager, Ron Wolf, had proposed a uniform redesign where the yellow would have been changed to a metallic gold color, similar to, but different from, the gold in the uniforms of the Rams and 49'ers. Once the team won Superbowl XXXI, any hope of a uniform change was scrapped.

In 1954, for reasons unknown other than to probably agitate, George Halas refused to dress his Chicago Bears in a white road uniform for the game in Green Bay. The Packers uniforms were still blue in those days, so both teams were wearing dark blue jerseys for that game.

Alright, one last piece of trivia for you.

The coldest chapionship game in Green Bay, and probably in the history of the NFL, was held on December 31, 1967. Known today as "The Ice Bowl," the temperature at kickoff was -13° with wind chills hovering around -48° and it didn't get any warmer as the day went on. Lombardi's state of the art electric field heating system also froze, and the field was more like a hockey rink than a football field.

With 16 seconds left to play, the Dallas Cowboys were nursing a 17-14 lead but the Packers were just inches from the goal line. They had just used their last time out so there was no chance for a tying field goal if they ran a play rather than trying a pass. Starr conferred with Lombardi and they called a wedge play, where Jerry Kramer would thrust Cowboy Jethro Pugh to the side, allowing fullback Chuck Mercein to carry the ball into the end zone. Unknown to everyone in the stadium, except Starr and Lombardi, Starr kept the ball for a quarterback sneak to win the game.

Chuck Mercein can be seen running into the end zone, signaling touchdown, and probably still wondering why he didn't get the handoff!

You can see it here on YouTube.

If you watch that video clip, in the replay towards the end, watch how (64) Jerry Kramer (he comes from the left of your screen) to make the block on (75) Jethro Pugh, springing Starr to make the score. Jethro Pugh had a long, successful career with the Dallas Cowboys, yet, he is mostly remembered for this play, the one he didn't make.

Green Bay would go on to win the AFL-NFL World Championship Game, later renamed Superbowl II. In those days, the NFL Championship game was considered to be the more important game, at least, until one year later when Joe Namath and the New York Jets beat the Baltimore Colts in what would later become Superbowl III.

This has been more trivia provided by TKG, your veritable walking compendium of useless information.

Thanks KG! Love reading the history!

Do you know the official temps in GB right now?

What...this thread slipped halfway down the page. Are all the football fans (all 7 or 8 of them) watching New England and San Diego?

I was but took a break to get the cheese portion of my lasagna ready (have to have it in the oven before the Packers come on!!!!!)...and lost track of where they are...

Just waiting for the GIANTS game to come on!! :)

Giants are 1-5 against Green Bay in the post season.Well, don't beat up one another too badly. I'm off to a party. I promise, if Green Bay wins, I will not gloat. If New York wins, I will congratulate them and root for them in the Superbowl. If New York wins, I might be tempted to even buy a Manning jersey to match my other Manning jersey.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Giants are 1-5 against Green Bay in the post season.

Well, don't beat up one another too badly. I'm off to a party.

I promise, if Green Bay wins, I will not gloat. If New York wins, I will congratulate them and root for them in the Superbowl. If New York wins, I might be tempted to even buy a Manning jersey to match my other Manning jersey.

Well, the rest of us aren't making that promise... ;)

Have fun at your party!!!!

Who is gonna play the PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????

Duh? Packers! :D

...although I think it will be quite a competition in this cold...

Duh? GIANTS!;)

Woohoo! Go Pack Go!!!

DH is in Argentina tonight and he's watching the game there - in spanish! He said it's not a problem though - LOL!

What is going on with the refs and the pack game, are they crazy my husband is steaming....

cewcooks said:
What is going on with the refs and the pack game, are they crazy my husband is steaming....

I think that the cold went to their heads "brain freeze"

I can't handle a game this close!!!!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Giants are 1-5 against Green Bay in the post season.

Well, don't beat up one another too badly. I'm off to a party.

I promise, if Green Bay wins, I will not gloat. If New York wins, I will congratulate them and root for them in the Superbowl. If New York wins, I might be tempted to even buy a Manning jersey to match my other Manning jersey.
As promised...

The Packers were soundly beaten by a very good football team that was better prepared, executed a superior game plan, took advantage of opportunities presented to them and they took the Green Bay offense right out of the game. Good show, Giants.

Congratulations to the Giants! As sad as I am that the Pack lost, that means I don't have to host the Super Bowl party this year! Yippee for me!

I think it's going to be a good game. Sure will be glad to enjoy it at someone else's house!

My addition to the useless trivia information...

THE FREEZER BOWL ~ January 10, 1981, the AFC Champtionship Game between the San Diego Chargers and the Cincinnati Bengals (yes, sports fans, they really did good that year) is on record as the COLDEST game in NFL history. While the air temperature was a balmy -9° F (all of 5° warmer than the Ice Bowl), the wind was recorded at 27 mph and the wind chill made it -59°F!!! And if the temperature wasn't a daunting enough task for the Chargers, they soon discovered that they were going to be playing against a Bengal's offensive line that decided to NOT wear long sleeves for the entire game.

And to top everything off, not only was this game a tad chilly for the Chargers, but they has just played the AFC divisional playoff game 8 days prior is a very warm, very humid Miami against the Dolphins.

Almost needless to say, the Charges did beat Miami in the oppressive heat. However, they didn't fare so well against the Bengals and ended up losing 7 to 27. And the Benglas went on to lose the Super Bowl to San Fran 21 - 26... ahhh, such is the life of a Bengal's fan!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
As promised...

The Packers were soundly beaten by a very good football team that was better prepared, executed a superior game plan, took advantage of opportunities presented to them and they took the Green Bay offense right out of the game. Good show, Giants.

What a gentleman! I am a Giants fan and this game could have gone either way. The Giants were making their share of mistakes (I think the field goal kicker got his butt kicked so much for missing field goals that it finally warmed up his leg). The temperatures were just brutal and both sides missed many passes.

I like the Packers so this week, I was only glad that http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/baychef_album/nyg.png won because it was the championship, but last week's victory for me was :love:
SA-WEET!! When they beat what ESPN calls "America's team" (gag me):yuck: :mad: :grumpy: Ummm...there are SEVERAL teams out there that "Americans" support and they aren't the Dallas Cowboys:yuck:

I love the playoff games the best. The Superbowl has gotten to be more hype than game most of the time.:( Even if the Giants lost today, I like the Pack. They are not arrogant and they are a good team.

I remember Lombardi, Landrey, etc. and they all wore the hat and dress coat. I hope Lombardi at least wore the little ear flaps down on his hat!

So sad:( I can't imagine playing a game in those conditions though. Will be cheering for the Giants in the Superbowl; I'm sick of hearing about the "perfect season"--yuck!
At least we can go to my uncle's annual SB party; dh said we weren't going if the Pack were in it. He can't watch his team around others, lol!
~Now Brett has to come back next year to get to the SB again!

What a game!!!!

Super Bowl here we come!!!

What teams are playing in today's NFC Championship game?

The San Francisco 49ers and the Green Bay Packers are playing in today's NFC Championship game.

What time does the game start?

The game is scheduled to start at 6:40 PM ET.

Where is the game being held?

The game is being held at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

Which team has the home field advantage?

The San Francisco 49ers have the home field advantage in today's game.

What channel is the game being broadcast on?

The game is being broadcast on FOX.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back