• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Know if a Kiwi Is Ripe or Not?

In summary, kiwis can be used as a meet tenderizer for beef and pork, and they only take a little. Say you have 1lb of a tough cut of meet. Slice off about 1/8 of the kiwi, peal it then mash it up. You can use this mashed kiwi in a marinade
SusanK
I am planning on using a kiwi to demonstrate the avocado peeler and egg slicer, but need a ripe kiwi for this and have no clue how you tell if it ripe other than to make sure it is not rock hard. Any help will be appreciated.

Not sure, other than what you already know, but......Just an FYI...Kiwi is something that some people are allergic to. My son is.

;)

It is my understanding that kiwi is ripe when it is slightly soft. If it is mushy then it is too ripe.

Shawnna

Depending on where you live will determine the quality of the kiwis, as I found when we moved north :( They should give slightly when squeezed. Anything squishy or with a wrinkled skin isn't going to work well. Also, they can rippen more while sitting, like bananas, so I would purchase it close to when you are going to use it, or keep it in the frige. Hope I am of some help :)

Unfortunately
DandelionBouquet said:
...Just an FYI...Kiwi is something that some people are allergic to. My son is.

;)

I don't think that there's a thing in this world that someone isn't allergic to. My brother is highly allergic to peanuts and can't eat anything containing peanut oil or made somewhere where peanuts are in use.

Because of his allergy, I've been more conscious of other's food allergies and always make sure that I ask at my shows if anyone has any food allergies. More than once, I've left certain ingredients out or put them to the side for people to garnish their portion with.

That's a good idea. I am only using the kiwi to demonstrate the avocado peeler and egg slicer. I just want to make sure that the wires of the egg slicer get through the kiwi. Thanks for your help.

Here is what I found online:

How to tell if it's ripe: Choose plump Kiwi. Ripen them on your counter. They should give when pressed and be soft but not mushy. Once ripe, store in the fridge and away from other fruit and plan to eat them soon after ripening.

How to use it: Simply cut off the stem ends and then use a spoon (grapefruit spoon is best but any spoon will do the job) all around the inside edge to free it from the skin and slip it out. Then cut into rounds so you can see the pretty black contrasting seeds and design. They look like a burst of sunshine (if the sun was green, of course!) and are a wonderful addition to breakfasts! Add to your fruit platter, fruit salad, fruit tart, or enjoy at breakfast or anytime! Or cut them in half and scoop out and eat with a spoon! If you rub the fuzz off the skin, you can actually eat the skin too!

Nutrition: They are delicious and highly nutritious with a good dose of folate, potassium, and vitamins C and E. Loaded with antioxidant polyphenol, a kiwi a day may help lower triglyceride levels (which wards off arterial plaque build-up and therefore heart disease), as well as protect against cancer, diabetes and can even help us look younger!

Quick tip on kiwisKiwi can be used as a meet tenderizer for beef and pork, and it only takes a little. Say you have 1lb of a tough cut of meet. Slice off about 1/8 of the kiwi, peal it then mash it up. You can use this mashed kiwi in a marinade but it makes things kind of gritty. Spread the kiwi all over the meet and let it sit for about an hour then rince off and cook. My mom uses this for her korean bbq. It really does work.

1. How can I tell if a kiwi is ripe?

The best way to tell if a kiwi is ripe is by gently squeezing it. If it gives slightly under pressure, it is ripe. The skin should also feel slightly soft and the fruit should have a slight give when pressed.

2. What color should a ripe kiwi be?

A ripe kiwi should be a bright, vibrant green color. If it is still a dull green or has brown spots, it is not ripe yet.

3. How do I speed up the ripening process for kiwis?

You can speed up the ripening process for kiwis by placing them in a paper bag with a banana or apple. The ethylene gas produced by the banana or apple will help the kiwis ripen faster.

4. Can I eat a kiwi that is not fully ripe?

Yes, you can eat a kiwi that is not fully ripe. However, it may not have the same level of sweetness and may be more acidic. If you prefer a sweeter kiwi, it is best to wait until it is fully ripe.

5. How should I store ripe kiwis?

Ripe kiwis should be stored in the refrigerator in a plastic bag or container. They will typically last 3-5 days in the fridge. If you want to extend their shelf life, you can also freeze them for up to 6 months.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• andrealynne719
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kristina16marie
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Teresa LM
  • magentablue