• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I excite and engage high school students about cooking?

In summary, Beth has been asked to do a Kitchen Shower for a foods classroom at the high school, and the teachers want her to do a demo and presentation for 130 students to generate more parent participation. She is planning to do a snack-type food and will consult with the teachers about what they usually prepare. The parent presentation will be on December 1st, but the day at school is still to be determined. Some suggestions for recipes include the baked potato chowder and fast family chicken fajitas. The target age group is high school students, and Beth is known for her creative ideas.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
I have been asked to do a Kitchen Shower for a foods classroom at the high school. That isn't a problem at all but the teachers want me to spend a day at the school and do a small demo / presentation to each of the classes. 130 students. They feel that this will excite them and get more parents to participate. What do you all suggest?

What a great opportunity! I don't have any suggestions at the moment. Once other people start sharing something might come to mind. LOL! Good luck! When is the presentation going to be?

I am actually doing the same thing next week! I am borrowing a friend's DCB and doing the baked potato chowder, switching it out between periods so I'm not frantically trying to clean up each period. Garlic bites and salad are being prepared by the students. We're doing it along with sending catalogs home and doing a lunchtime demo for the teachers to get new products for the home ec classes.

Nanisu said:
I am actually doing the same thing next week! I am borrowing a friend's DCB and doing the baked potato chowder, switching it out between periods so I'm not frantically trying to clean up each period. Garlic bites and salad are being prepared by the students. We're doing it along with sending catalogs home and doing a lunchtime demo for the teachers to get new products for the home ec classes.

hmmm.... I was thinking more on the line of a snacky type food that they could help prepare and share rather than a meal. I guess I need to ask the teachers what kind of things they usually prepare. I like the idea of the teacher demo but if I understand it right there isn't any time that enough of them would be in the teacher lounge at once. I'll double check that though.

The parent presentation will be Dec 1 but the day at school is still to be determined.

ETA: If you haven't, send out your newsletter! I got this and a booking on Dec 2 as a result of sending it yesterday. :)

What age groups are you doing this for, Beth? We work with Home and Careers here at the Middle School.

baychef said:
What age groups are you doing this for, Beth? We work with Home and Careers here at the Middle School.

High School students.

That gives you more options, for sure. I know that many students lack knowledge of getting a meal together and some don't even know how to make a sandwich. Not suggesting that you do make a meal...way too much. I like the potato chowder in the DCB. Also a recipe that goes together fast and is healthy is the recipe we had with the Lipton Onion soup...Fast Family Chicken fajitahs. They may need to be shown that fast food can be healthy!

I bet you will come up with some great ideas, however, Beth. You seem to have that creative thing down well!:chef:

Related to How can I excite and engage high school students about cooking?

1. What are some easy and healthy snack ideas for the classroom?

Some easy and healthy snack ideas for the classroom include fruit and vegetable platters, homemade trail mix, hummus and veggie sticks, and whole grain crackers with cheese. These snacks provide a balance of nutrients and are easy to prepare in bulk for a classroom setting.

2. How can I accommodate for food allergies in the classroom?

To accommodate for food allergies in the classroom, it is important to communicate with parents and students about any allergies and to be aware of common allergens. Some ideas for allergy-friendly snacks include gluten-free crackers and dips, fresh fruit, and nut-free granola bars.

3. What are some fun and creative ways to incorporate fruits and vegetables in the classroom?

One fun and creative way to incorporate fruits and vegetables in the classroom is to have a "build your own" salad bar or fruit kebab station. This allows students to choose their own toppings and encourages them to try new fruits and vegetables. You can also incorporate fruits and vegetables into fun recipes, such as making fruit smoothies or veggie pizzas.

4. Are there any healthy and portable lunch ideas for the classroom?

Yes, there are plenty of healthy and portable lunch ideas for the classroom. Some options include turkey and cheese wraps, quinoa salad, veggie and hummus wraps, and whole wheat pita pockets with falafel and veggies. These options are easy to pack and do not require heating or refrigeration.

5. How can I involve students in meal prep and cooking activities in the classroom?

Involving students in meal prep and cooking activities can be a fun and educational experience. Some ideas include having students help wash and chop vegetables for a salad, measuring and mixing ingredients for a healthy snack, or even having a "Chopped" style competition where students can use a variety of ingredients to create a healthy dish. This not only encourages healthy eating habits but also teaches valuable life skills.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• msmileyface
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
msmileyface
  • cookingmommy
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
poohritz
Replies