• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Accurate Are Online Reading Level Analyzers?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a gizmo that scans websites and blogs to determine their reading level. The participants had mixed reactions to the accuracy of the results, with some being listed at a high school level and others at a junior high level. They also discussed the importance of writing for their audience and the difficulty of navigating technology. Overall, the conversation was light-hearted and humorous.
chefann
Gold Member
I was reading some stuff online today and found a link to the neatest gizmo. It scans your site or blog and tells you the reading level. I ran my blog through it, and it returned "Genius" level. Unfortunately, when I put this site in, it said Junior High school.
http://www.criticsrant.com/bb/reading_level.aspxTry it!
http://www.criticsrant.com/bb/reading_level.aspxI really don't know how accurate it is, though. It says KG's blog is also at a Jr. High level. :)

Last edited:
That is very funny Ann!(I'd hate to say it is probably accurate!)

chefann said:
I was reading some stuff online today and found a link to the neatest gizmo. It scans your site or blog and tells you the reading level. I ran my blog through it, and it returned "Genius" level.

Unfortunately, when I put this site in, it said Junior High school.
http://www.criticsrant.com/bb/reading_level.aspx

Try it!
http://www.criticsrant.com/bb/reading_level.aspx

I really don't know how accurate it is, though. It says KG's blog is also at a Jr. High level. :)
I write to my audience. (It's easier to sell to editors.)

chefann said:
I ran my blog through it, and it returned "Genius" level.

Well... la-de-da... (we need a smilie sticking it's nose up in the air!)

chefann said:
I really don't know how accurate it is, though. It says KG's blog is also at a Jr. High level. :)

<giggle, giggle, snort!>

Some of the sites I check regularly are flagged as "Elementary School," so we're still better than them!

My Facebook account says high school...

katie0128 said:
Well... la-de-da... (we need a smilie sticking it's nose up in the air!)

<giggle, giggle, snort!>
I will continue to defend my blog on the grounds that I write for my audience, not for me. Didja ever read anything by Spiro Agnew?

Not to toot my own horn, I got "Genius"!
I don't know how this happened, I only feel above normal! :balloon:

Now, I'm trying to follow the directions for putting the badge on myspace. Being a visual person, I'm not following it very well. :confused:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I will continue to defend my blog on the grounds that I write for my audience, not for me. Didja ever read anything by Spiro Agnew?
Can't say that I have. Which is the point you're making - if nobody can understand it, then nobody will read it. :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

No, I haven't. Do you have a link to his blog? :rolleyes: LOL!

VeronicaW said:
Now, I'm trying to follow the directions for putting the badge on myspace. Being a visual person, I'm not following it very well. :confused:
Hence your pride at being listed at Genius, right? (giggle)

You should be able to just copy the block of code and paste it where you want it on your page.

It didn't quite work out the way I wanted. So much for the "Genius"!

chefann said:
I was reading some stuff online today and found a link to the neatest gizmo. It scans your site or blog and tells you the reading level. I ran my blog through it, and it returned "Genius" level.

I don't know Ann.. sounds accurate to me!

:D

KG's a pretty smart old coot.. er, cookie. Yeah- smart cookie. You really have to be on your toes in a face-to-face conversation with him. :)

Interesting... so I put in my blog and it came back with a high school rating... I tried my profile page on myspace and it came back as elementary school. Now the scary/sad part of that is the other night, when I blogged about weird stuff there was an awful lot of robot chicken type references (and videos) so that apparently makes it more mature? LOL... What's weirder is if I put in the actual link to my profile it comes back as a high school rating... but if I use the shorter URL version (myspace.com/myname) it comes back as elementary level... weird... same page, you'd think it'd be the same rating? Wait... I just checked my histlink from my profile too and nothing hit but me double checking my URLs... wonder what they really ARE checking. I mean, if I can tell if DH's ex is reading my profile, I should be able to have seen this gadget on my 'hitlist'...

I bet. I have trouble keeping up online sometimes.

chefann said:
KG's a pretty smart old coot.. er, cookie. Yeah- smart cookie. You really have to be on your toes in a face-to-face conversation with him. :)

I bet. I have trouble keeping up online sometimes.

Eye doughnt have a blog, butt ifin eye did, eye hope eye cood get too at leest a pre skool levell.

Just reading a memo from out HR department. It stated "do to" instead of "due too". Spell check can't search out stupid! Oops, did I say that?:rolleyes: :angel:

And given some of the conversations we have ALL participated in on CS...I am honored to be at the Jr High level. In fact my office is based in the building with 6, 7 & 8th graders. Somehow, I can relate to them quite well!!!!!:eek:

baychef said:
And given some of the conversations we have ALL participated in on Chef Success...I am honored to be at the Jr High level. In fact my office is based in the building with 6, 7 & 8th graders. Somehow, I can relate to them quite well!!!!!:eek:

Ann, you agree with me often enough to earn a "Genius" level. :p

baychef said:
Eye doughnt have a blog, butt ifin eye did, eye hope eye cood get too at leest a pre skool levell.

Just reading a memo from out HR department. It stated "do to" instead of "due too". Spell check can't search out stupid! Oops, did I say that?:rolleyes: :angel:

Bless you! I thought I was the only one that understood that!

baychef said:

I think, sometimes, they should come out with a stupid checker... where spell checker fails, stupid checker prevails! LOL

lkprescott said:
I think, sometimes, they should come out with a stupid checker... where spell checker fails, stupid checker prevails! LOL

My favorite line is: "You can't fix stupid."

If you make it idiot proof, they'll come up with a better idiot.:D

lkprescott said:
Interesting... so I put in my blog and it came back with a high school rating... I tried my profile page on myspace and it came back as elementary school. Now the scary/sad part of that is the other night, when I blogged about weird stuff there was an awful lot of robot chicken type references (and videos) so that apparently makes it more mature? LOL...

What's weirder is if I put in the actual link to my profile it comes back as a high school rating... but if I use the shorter URL version (myspace.com/myname) it comes back as elementary level... weird... same page, you'd think it'd be the same rating?

Wait... I just checked my histlink from my profile too and nothing hit but me double checking my URLs... wonder what they really ARE checking. I mean, if I can tell if DH's ex is reading my profile, I should be able to have seen this gadget on my 'hitlist'...
Lisa, I think it checks spelling and grammar, more than content.

raebates said:
No, I haven't. Do you have a link to his blog? :rolleyes: LOL!
No, he's had a tough URL since 1996. He was 77 when he died.

195px-Spiro_Agnew.jpg

His incredible vocabulary made it difficult to understand him, and one Senator was quoted as saying, "When Agnew speaks, you don't know whether to grab a dictionary or an umbrella."

I, of course, knew who Spiro Agnew was, and approximately when he died. I've also heard that he was someone who talked waaaay above most people's heads. Keep writing for your audience, KG. I enjoy your insanity. :)

baychef said:

Had the memo been from the Sinatra Department, it would have said, "Due bee due bee due."

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You, and I, and Barbara Sharma certainly knew who he was, but the kids around here likely don't. ;)

I love Barbara Sharma!

Related to How Accurate Are Online Reading Level Analyzers?

1. How accurate is the reading level provided by the web gizmo?

The accuracy of the reading level provided by the web gizmo may vary, as it is based on the complexity of the vocabulary and sentence structure used in the text. It may not take into account the context or tone of the writing, so it is best to use it as a general guideline rather than a definitive measure.

2. Can the web gizmo be used for any type of writing or only for blogs and websites?

The web gizmo can be used for any type of writing, as long as it is in English and can be accessed through a URL. This includes essays, articles, and even social media posts.

3. Is the reading level provided by the web gizmo standardized?

No, the reading level provided by the web gizmo is not standardized. It is based on a proprietary algorithm and may not be comparable to other reading level assessments.

4. How does the web gizmo determine the reading level of a text?

The web gizmo uses a combination of factors to determine the reading level, including word length, sentence length, and the frequency of complex words. It then compares these factors to a database of common reading levels to provide an estimated level.

5. Can the reading level provided by the web gizmo be improved?

Yes, the reading level provided by the web gizmo can be improved by using simpler language and shorter sentences. However, it is important to also consider the target audience and purpose of the writing when making changes to the text.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cmdtrgd
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
raebates
Back