• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Hey Everyone! Question for You Guys...i Just Earned Ss2 Which Came

so I ran back in and grabbed it before I left. I sliced a tomato and when I pulled it out, I saw that my finger was on the blade! I was so scared, I took a picture of the tomato and the finger and sent it to my husband who was at the show with me. I was so embarrassed, I wanted to go back and cancel my show, but I didn't. I finished the show and the next day I went to the ER. Thankfully, the ER didn't charge me for anything and I was able to go home that same night. ChristyUS&GThe US&G is a great tool, but be careful. It is easy to slice
ktmoms
Hey everyone! Question for you guys...I just earned SS2 which came with the US&G...well, I tried to do cabbage with it the other night and made a huge mess...so now I'm a little frustrated. Can anyone offer me some tips, because I'm excited about showing this product, but I want to be super comfortable with a product I'm going to demo. Thanks!

Christy

US&GThe only tip I have (and trust me on this) ALWAYS USE THE GUARD!

I was using it at home and sliced the end of my finger off. It was so bad I had to rush to the ER. Thank god it wasn't at a show.

It's a great tool though. I use it when I want uniform slices like when I boil potatoes. Or I use it when I have alot to slice. Definately for block cheeses. Oh and for zuchini for zuchini bread.

Very versitile. Just keep using it for different things. Practice makes perfect.

Brandi W.

I would also love any tips on how to use this. Sometimes I have success and other times my food falls off of the food holder prongs. I tried doing plum tomatoes the other day and they kept wobbling and finally fell off. Do I need to cut them in half first?

I ususally start slicing without the hard guard until it gets to be within about 4 or 5 inches. The best way that I have found to use the hard guard is to hold on to the sides, not the top. Don't press too hard, as you know the blades are plenty sharp. If you hold it on the sides then you can gradually add pressure to the top and press the food down lightly.

Just for my own safety, at shows I usually use zuccuni, potato or cuccumber and grate only a few inches. That way I don't have to focus on it quite as directly. And the best tip I have ever learned (the hard way) is NEVER TALK ON THE PHONE WHILE SLICING!

I have been a consultant since the first week of August and have already had 2 of these returned for the reason they can't get the food to stay on the guard. Plus they couldn't get the carrots to work in the slicer with all the blades (I can't remember what it is called).

But here is my awful story that I am very embarrassed about - at the couples show I did last week, a man decided he wanted to try the slicer after seeing how easily I sliced tomatoes. he came over and attempted to slice an onion. He tried it, claimed it was great, and left the table right away. I didn't think anything of it. Until later - I found out he had sliced off almost his entire tip of a finger. :eek: Only a tiny piece of skin was holding the tip on. One of the other men at the party was a surgeon, so the host called him into the kitchen and had him look at it and he bandaged it up. The man it happened to made the host promise she would not tell me or anyone else at the show that it had happened... he was very embarrassed and admitted he should have never touched a tool like that after tossing back a few strong martinis! He felt like a fool and took complete responsibility for it happening. The host ended up telling me because she didn't want me to let anyone else use it that evening. I had only taken it with to the show for me to use - I never allow guests to try it but this man was very insistent and I let him. Never again.

I LOVE my US&G, but I treat it with RESPECT!!! If I could, I'd show you my little fingertip! I always tell my guests, if it's a large (tall) food item, such as a potato, cut it in half or thirds so it'll fit in the food guard and not wobble around. USE THE FOOD GUARD...

Don't feel bad Brandi, my Director did do it at a show!

Ouch!cheesehead,
Man, I can't believe that happened at a show! Would you mind if I shared this story with people? I laughed at the part where you said he threw back a couple of martinis but I feel bad that he almost lost his finger.

I have cut my finger twice on the US&G and the most recent was on Saturday, I was leaving for a show and as I'm walking out the door, I realized that I left my US&G in the dishwasher. It just started the dry cycle so I grabbed a dish towel and dried it off, very carefully. Well, somehow the blade went right through the towel (as I'm drying it) and sliced my thumb sideways deep. I couldn't go to the ER b/c I had to do my show so I just bandaged it up and went and did my show. It's not fully healed now (5 days later) and I wonder how I'll do at my next show this sunday. SO the moral of the story is: WHENEVER YOU ARE TOUCHING THE US&G, MAKE SURE YOU USE EXTREME CAUTION. IT ALSO HELPS THAT NOTHING IS DISTRACTING YOU!!! :)

PampMomof3 said:
cheesehead,
Man, I can't believe that happened at a show! Would you mind if I shared this story with people? I laughed at the part where you said he threw back a couple of martinis but I feel bad that he almost lost his finger.
QUOTE]

I certainly don't mind if you share the story - I plan to at future shows! :eek:

Thanks! That poor guy :eek:

I rarely use the finger guard. The prongs are not spaced good for all the food you can use on it. I hope that they will eventually come out with a hopper attachment like the Microplane has.

At shows I tell them they have to use it! I say do as I say not as I do!

Finger guardI rarely use the guard but am very careful (or use a knife) when I'm down close enough to catch my fingers. My son (12) however, wanted to slice a piece of squash. I told him he could do about 5 slices (the squash was about 6 inches long). Anyway, he did his slices and wanted to do more. I told him to put the guard on. He didn't do it. I did as I didn't want to spend the night in the emergency room. The squash sort of wobbled and he sliced off the top of his thumb. We did the whole first aid thing at home and it was still bleeding pretty steadily after 2 1/2 hours so off we went. They couldn't get it to stop bleeding through the bandage and had to get some sort of special surgical absorbent material. Needless to say, I won't let either of my kids touch this again and I am much more wary. Good thing is that they are nice, clean, sharp blades so the make a clean cut. Better for healing but even better if you don't get cut at all!

ALWAYS use the guard especially at shows and ALWAYS warn your customers to use it. Sometimes it's a bit of a pain but take if from someone who didn't ALWAYS use it that you do not want to be cut by those sharp blades (ouch!).

I don't ever want a customer to come back to me with a bandage on her hand as say "you didn't use it so I thought it was okay"!

Respect this tool and it is wonderful!

Ss2I hope to earn that SS2 this month - Mainly because I want that US&G. My director reminded us at our last cluster meeting to 1. always use the guard because the blades are SHARP and 2. the food should be in MANAGABLE pieces. I think that's an important tip for just about anything you're going to cut/slice or chop. I've grown attached to my fingers over the years and I want to keep them all!

I love this tool, and I use the guard ALMOST every time!

For potatoes, I either lay them on their side or cut them in half, and do the same with onions, lemons, tomatoes (large or small). With cucumbers or zucchini, carrots or other "large" veggies, I will sometimes not use the guard until about 3/4 of the way down, then use the guard for the rest. The prongs do not have to puncture the food...the guard can be held flat against the food and it will work just fine!

I never use the guard when I am grating cheese. I do it by hand, and I have found that that is the safest blade--I can run my fingers across it and not get sliced :) I tell all my guests to store their US&G with this blade in the front!

I have also had a guest at a show slice her finger using the US&G--she owned one, and was showing how much she liked it. I insisted she use the guard, but she said she never uses it at home, and walla! Sliced off the tip of her finger! PEOPLE DON'T LISTEN! :)

I let people use it at my shows, so everyone can see that anyone can use it. I make sure they know to cut the food into managable sizes, or lay it on its side.

All Thumbs!!!No matter how many things I read, I just can't seem to learn how to use the US&G.. I tried a tomato and it all just mushed up (should it be really firm), I tried cheese but it kept falling out of the prongs... I feel jealous that all of you are having fun with it, and I can't seem to get it!!!!! :confused:

I haven't taken it to a show and I want to, I can't seem to cut anything on it, not even my finger! :eek:

Whew! I thought I was by myself...I'm having a hard time with it too!

ktmoms

The US&G takes practice...please don't feel like you are left out! I practiced at home for a couple weeks before I took it to a show. Here's my advice: grab a bag of potatoes the next time you are at the store, and practice away! Potatoes work on every blade! Also, remember to keep your US&G at a nice tilt (about 45 degree angle) when you are slicing. Finally, remember to put your food at a tilt also. Let the guard do the work--put pressure on the guard to keep your food on the board, which should be angled enough to keep the food in place. The faster you go, the better it works. Also, remember to go from the very top to the very bottom with each slice. Don't stop just past the blade, go all the way to the bottom.

As for the cheese, like I mentioned, I never use the guard with the cheese. You are right...it just won't work! So, when I grate my cheese, I just hold the block in my hand. The grater blade won't cut you, so I don't worry about that when I get down to the last of the block. I will take a full block of cheese, break it in half (sometimes in fourths), and start with the broken side. It works great!

Good luck!

Thanks so much, those tips will sure help! I will start practicing tonight!

ktmoms

ThanksThank you soooo much for the tips.. you've explained it clearer than I have ever heard (or read!) I will definitely get my bag o' taters tomorrow!!

My director calls me grater challanged....I have been using mine for about 2 weeks and I have a different problem with it. I keep chopping up the sides of my guard. I have tried going fast, going slow, and it doesn't seem to matter what blade I use. HELP!! I would like to demo this at shows, but I am afraid they will think I don't know what I am doing.

I've got a love-hate relationship going with my US&G. I LOVE attaching it to the SS bowl and shredding cheese like a maniac! I can do firmer foods like potatoes, cucumbers, etc. But, it is hit & miss whenever I do roma tomatoes! I get embarrased at a show when it's all hacked up and I'm struggling. I do the 45deg angle, I use my guard, I try to find firmer tomatoes, I use a gentle up&down motion...sigh. When it works, it's beautiful and when it doesn't work, it's no fun.

I did see on the Fall/Winter video that we got for new products & celebrations that the lady sliced a small bit of the end of the tomato before putting it on the guard. The other thing that I am going to do is simply cut the tomato in half...maybe that will cut down on the wobbliness.

Thanks for the other tips and experiences!

i know when i use the adjustable blade with the tomatoes it ends up a huge mess but when i use the v shaped blade they come out perfect

I agree. I always use the V-shape blade for my tomatoes!

My problem is with the new microplane adjustable grater...I learned how to grate my thumb the first day I got it...it wasn't very pretty and now I am extremely scared of it(i don't tell customers that) and I have not touched it since that day...i might do some peanuts in the guard if i feel lucky but that may be all for a long long time. I am pregnant with twins and i don't see loosing skin and blood as a good thing so i'll stay away. When the babies are born....it will be locked in a safe so there is no possibility of them getting to it!!!

Since we're sharing ...about these incredibly sharp kitchen tools I've got to tell you what happened to me at a show. It wasn't the US&G it was the cute little Quickut knife that comes with the bar board. I was using it and someone asked me a question. I barely grazed my hand and it nicked a vein or something because it would not stop bleeding. The show hadn't started yet and I went into the kitchen to run it under cold water and apply pressure and it wouldn't stop. There was blood all over the sink area. The hostess was in the living room with her guests and I called her in and we put a bandaid on it, but it wouldn't stop so the bandaid just fell off. After the third one we got it to stick. I started the show and then noticed people were looking at my hand. Blood was gushing out from under the bandaid. I caught it before it dripped on the carpet. Thank the Lord I had rubber gloves with me! I put them on before I started cooking. People still ate the food but it was so embarrassing. When I told my neighbor about it she said it reminded her of the old Saturday Night Live skit where Julia Childs cuts herself.

Got It!!!Thanks so much for all the advice on using the US&G. I used it at my show yesterday, and I worked it!!.. ;) The best advice I've gotten that really did the trick is to not apply too much pressure, let the US&G do it. I was soooo happy I was able to take this out of the drawer and demo it at a show.

THANKS!!!

US&GNewbie here . . . from everything I've heard (not only online . . . this happened to another PC consultant friend of mine - the finger-slicing thing), this is a very dangerous tool. I'm afraid to use it. I knick my hands all the time and with this, I just see disaster. I'll need some reassurance before I earn/buy it. lol

What is SS2 and how did you earn it?

SS2 stands for Super Starter Level 2, which is a rank that Pampered Chef consultants can achieve by meeting certain sales and recruiting goals within their first few months of joining the company. I reached this level by hosting successful parties and introducing others to the Pampered Chef opportunity.

What are the benefits of reaching SS2 status?

As a SS2 consultant, I have access to exclusive training and support from Pampered Chef. I also receive a higher commission rate on my sales and have the opportunity to earn bonuses and incentives.

How does becoming a SS2 consultant benefit your customers?

As a SS2 consultant, I have a deeper understanding of our products and can offer personalized recommendations to my customers. I also have access to special offers and promotions that I can pass on to my customers.

What advice do you have for someone aspiring to reach SS2 status?

My advice would be to focus on consistently booking and hosting parties and to share the Pampered Chef opportunity with others. Be open to learning and growing, and don't be afraid to ask for help and support from your upline and fellow consultants.

Is SS2 the highest level a Pampered Chef consultant can achieve?

No, there are higher levels such as SS3 and Director. However, reaching SS2 is an important milestone for new consultants and can lay the foundation for continued success in the company.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • jessinthekitchen
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
skaugchef
Replies