• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Helping Our Loved Ones After a House Fire: Tips and Suggestions

In summary, the home of DH's cousin in Colorado burned while they were in Conn. for their son's engagement party. They are so sad for the couple and their son is very happy. Diane is going to buy them a few things and the other family around here is going to help out. The homeowners insurance should pick up a large part of the tab for replacing items. Diane is also thinking of setting up a registry for them.
quiverfull7
Gold Member
Hey... WE recently found out that the home of my husband's cousin in Colorado burned while they were in Conn. for their son's engagement party.
We are so sad for them. This couple is SO sweet! The home had to be pushed in due to the extent of the damage.. PRAISE GOD noone was harmed!
SO... I'm going to buy them a few things as well as the other family around here but I don't know where to begin since she needs everything. I need your suggestions so I know where to begin ... and can share some ideas with those who are going to help out.

TIA

Diane,
i would do basics, cutting boards, knives food chopper
colanders or SS bowls.

Wow that is awful. I would say cookware (if you can) or start with basic stuff like the scrapers... maybe you could do a fundraiser for them.

Diane, i have so much PC stuff, gently used and would be happy to send it to you. I have been looking for someone in need of this stuff...please let me know if your interested and I will send you a list of what I have.

How about setting up a registry for them? Then family can make purchases, and they can pick out what they need to fill in the gaps later.

Their homeowners insurance should pick up a large part of the tab for replacing items.

chefann said:
How about setting up a registry for them? Then family can make purchases, and they can pick out what they need to fill in the gaps later.

Their homeowners insurance should pick up a large part of the tab for replacing items.
Hopefully they had 'replacement value' too. If so, WOW what an order for you!

Thank goodness no one was hurt. They must be devestated. Losing all of one's possesions in a fire is difficult (happened to me when I was a young child).

I would say the basics - cutting board, knives, a few pieces of stoneware, SS bowls, measuring spoons/cups.

If they are up to it I love the registry idea as this lets them pick out what they want and gives family members and easy way to help out.

If they are local a kitchen shower might be better (or a catalog kitchen shower) - save shipping costs for the guests and they can buy more for the family...

Diane - you need to post this on our loop - I bet our cluster would come thru with some gently used or even new things. I'm so sorry - If this had to happen I am so glad they were away and no one was home. God works in mysterious ways! Sending up prayers for them ^j^ (((Hugs))) Cindy

Diane I'm sorry to hear about your (DH) cousin’s fire. I would think doing an internet show would be a great way people could help replenish their kitchen.

You were asking what items they might need. How about printing off the Well-Stocked Kitchen list for them?

My heart is so full of love for each of you! Every idea is perfect... Cindy, I will post this to our cluster, I will talk with the family about a shower or registry... I'm in NC so it isn't local but I won't be stopped by distance. Your love here will reach them... from what I understand someone was able to save some family pictures so I know that is a huge treasure to them. I wish I could convey what a special couple they are... I better stop or I'll be crying again! THANK YOU ALL!

raebates said:
You were asking what items they might need. How about printing off the Well-Stocked Kitchen list for them?

Just what I was going to say...

What should I do first after a house fire?

First, make sure everyone is safe and seek medical attention if needed. Then, contact your insurance company and document the damage for their records. You can also reach out to local organizations for support and assistance.

How can I help my loved ones emotionally after a house fire?

It's important to offer emotional support to your loved ones during this difficult time. Listen to their feelings and offer reassurance. Encourage them to seek counseling if needed and involve them in the rebuilding process.

What should I do with damaged belongings after a house fire?

Make a list of damaged items and take photos for insurance purposes. If possible, salvage any items that are not too damaged. Dispose of severely damaged items properly and follow any guidelines for hazardous materials.

How can I help my loved ones find temporary housing after a house fire?

Your insurance company may provide temporary housing options or reimbursement for hotel costs. You can also reach out to organizations such as the Red Cross for assistance. Consider offering your own home as a temporary solution as well.

What steps should I take to prevent a house fire in the future?

Make sure to have smoke detectors installed and regularly checked. Keep fire extinguishers in accessible areas and have an evacuation plan in place. Be cautious when using candles, cooking, and heating sources. Consider investing in fire-resistant materials for your home.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
Replies
Views
grainsmommy
  • MissChef
  • General Chat
Replies