• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help for the Uncertain: Website Costs and Membership Fees

In summary, the cost of running this site depends on the amount of traffic it receives. It can range from less than $200 a year for a small forum with 50 members to over $380 a month for a larger forum like this one with 10,000 members. This cost includes web hosting and support work. Some forums are able to offset these costs through sponsor companies, but this site relies on subscription plans and donations. Despite the high cost, many users believe it is worth it for the friendly and smooth running platform.
heat123
Silver Member
Greg-
I apologize as I am NOT computer SAAVY or knoweledgeable when it comes to websites or forums.

I am just curious how much this site costs to run? With 10,000 members x $5 a head that's $50k+ correct? I have seen other website boards that look almost identical to this site although I don't know if you have to become a member or not? Just wondering if it's expensive?

thanks!

While waiting for Greg's reply, I can tell you that it depends a LOT on traffic... are you asking because you're thinking of creating your own forum?Another forum I'm on has about 50 people... we use free forum software and pay less than $200 a year in web hosting. That's it. We maintain it ourselves.Something on the scope of this site... the bandwidth is going to be the biggest cost... all the pages being viewed, files being uploaded/downloaded, plus the cost of greg's support work to keep it running... it's going to get awfully spendy, awfully quick.

We have 10,000 members? Where are they?

pamperedlinda said:
We have 10,000 members? Where are they?

Most are probably lurkers or joined and then forgot about us. :(

I have found that typically between 1-10% of members participate on groups under 500 and that the larger the group is the lower the participation.

I have ventures out to many other PC boards and forums and have to say - there is NONE that compares to this one -- not just the friendly and warm people we have here, but the way it runs so smoothly. This forum ROCKS!
Thank you Greg!

dannyzmom said:
I have ventures out to many other PC boards and forums and have to say - there is NONE that compares to this one -- not just the friendly and warm people we have here, but the way it runs so smoothly. This forum ROCKS!
Thank you Greg!

I totally agree!! I hope Greg makes a profit off this, and a big one. I probably would have quit PC by now if it wasn't for this site. I think it is worth much more than $5. I just got the email saying my year was about up. I just wish it had a date as to exactly when it is up. I didn't work for a couple of weeks so money is a little tight but am going to pay as soon as I get paid this Friday. I would rather be late on another bill than get kicked off of here!!

my ? was to find out about building my own site for another group, not knocking Gregs fees!

I belong to another site and their cost to run it is up to almost $120,000 a year.
Luckily they have sponsor companies that will give them a percentage of sales of their sales if people use the link on the site. That helps defer the costs, so they haven't had to charge us yet. Thank God for those sponsor companies!!!!!

wow- I didn't know it could cost so much to run an online forum! maybe my idea won't be feasible for me?

heat123 said:
my ? was to find out about building my own site for another group, not knocking Gregs fees!

I knew you weren't knocking him, I just had to put my two cents in. I think this is the greatest site ever! I also had no idea it cost so much to start one! Yikes!

I haven't even ventures to any other sites. I don't need to, this one rocks!:cool:

chefkristin said:
I haven't even ventures to any other sites. I don't need to, this one rocks!:cool:

Believe me, you are not missing a thing! At least from the other ones I have seen.

This is a post I found from months back from Greg

You don't need a paypal account to join a subscription plan. When at the paypal website in the middle of the page you'll find the text "If you do not currently have a PayPal account" click the button to the right of it and you can enter your CC information.

I guess it would be appropriate to say it costs over $380/m to run the server chefsuccess is on and for advertising.

Also if you wish to donate more than the subscriptions allow then please PM me and I can give you another option.

cajunchelle said:
I guess it would be appropriate to say it costs over $380/m to run the server chefsuccess is on and for advertising.
QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? Is that what Greg said!!! Oh my gosh!!!!:eek:

yep that is what he said

I have to say I feel I have made a bunch of new friends on here. I just can't wait to sign on and see what everyone has been up to in the ...oh 10 minutes since I have been away...HAHAHAHAHA

:D Yes, this place is very addicting. I feel like I know some of you all better than some of my own family!!

jenniferlynne said:
I totally agree!! I hope Greg makes a profit off this, and a big one. I probably would have quit PC by now if it wasn't for this site. I think it is worth much more than $5. I just got the email saying my year was about up. I just wish it had a date as to exactly when it is up. I didn't work for a couple of weeks so money is a little tight but am going to pay as soon as I get paid this Friday. I would rather be late on another bill than get kicked off of here!!

I would PM Greg as I was reading all the various posts on the cost of this forum and somewhere he said that gold supporters would not need to pay the yearly fee. I could have misunderstood something but I'd check with him.

He does great work here and the members rock. :D

I had paid the gold supporter fee before the yearly fee was required. He told me that I wouldn't have to pay the $5 fee since I had already paid the $25, but I did assume that it was only good for a year.

I LOVE this site!! I belong to other sites but this one rocks!! Everyone is like family here!!:) Greg is doing a GREAT job here!!

I have done a board before and it was free. You can use free hosting such as ezboard or ipb. If you don't want to pay a minumum fee you will have pop ups on your site which is kind of annoying. Also since they are free there is less you can do with them but my group used it for over a year and made it work. You can pay a small fee every year to keep the popups off your board. Unless you are expecting a HUGE amount of traffic that is where I would start.

heat123 said:
Greg-
I apologize as I am NOT computer SAAVY or knoweledgeable when it comes to websites or forums.

I am just curious how much this site costs to run? With 10,000 members x $5 a head that's $50k+ correct? I have seen other website boards that look almost identical to this site although I don't know if you have to become a member or not? Just wondering if it's expensive?

thanks!

The system stats program doesn't differentiate paid vs non paid members. It counts them all together. The majority sign up and don't pay.

I think that I did pay, but ummm can we check this in an account area somewhere? and when our year expires?

If you didn't pay, you wouldn't be able to see every page in a thread. I had a new recruit sign and she couldn't wait until her CS account got activated so she could read everything. I think she said she was only able to see one page or maybe just the first few entries of each thread, and she couldn't print anything.

I thought I did pay, thanks! :)

mom2leelee said:
I have done a board before and it was free. You can use free hosting such as ezboard or ipb. If you don't want to pay a minumum fee you will have pop ups on your site which is kind of annoying. Also since they are free there is less you can do with them but my group used it for over a year and made it work. You can pay a small fee every year to keep the popups off your board. Unless you are expecting a HUGE amount of traffic that is where I would start.

hmm thanks good to know!

jenniferknapp said:
I think that I did pay, but ummm can we check this in an account area somewhere? and when our year expires?

If you go up to your User CP link and then to the link towards the bottom that says paid subscriptions you can figure it out. It will tell you when you paid and when it will expire. It's also where you can purchase another year!

1. What is included in the website costs and membership fees?

The website costs and membership fees cover the cost of maintaining and updating the website, as well as access to exclusive content and resources for our members.

2. How much does it cost to join the website and become a member?

The cost to join the website and become a member varies depending on the membership package you choose. Please refer to our website for current pricing details.

3. Are there any additional fees or hidden costs?

No, there are no additional fees or hidden costs. The website costs and membership fees are clearly stated and there are no surprises.

4. Can I cancel my membership at any time?

Yes, you can cancel your membership at any time. However, please note that membership fees are non-refundable.

5. How do I pay for the website costs and membership fees?

You can pay for the website costs and membership fees online using a credit or debit card. We also accept payment through PayPal for your convenience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• smspamperedchef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
lkprescott
  • britishchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
michellefedi
  • The_Kitchen_Guy