• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Handling Director Concerns: How to Maintain Control and Request Reassignment

In summary, the conversation discusses a consultant who signed up under a director via the internet and has recently recruited individuals who are not very active. The consultant and the recruits feel uncomfortable with the director following up on their status and the consultant wonders if they can be reassigned to another director. It is suggested to communicate with the director and politely let her know about the recruits' discomfort. It is also mentioned that in order to change directors, the consultant would have to go inactive for a year and re-sign under a new director.
KimoMakano
Gold Member
I have an odd question.

I signed up as a consultant under a director via the Interent. That is I made an inquiry via the web and was directed to my current Director. I had previously been a consultant years before but could not recall the name of my director at that time so they just assigned me to someone. That is fine, I have no problem with that and my director is a very nice person.

However, when I signed up I advised her of my intentions. I was not going to be going to cluster meetings and was basically going to run my business at my pace. She understood and we have not had any problems. (I am not trying to be a "lone ranger" but this is part time for me and I cannot commit to a lot of extra things.

Recently I have recruited a couple individuals who have not turned out to be very "active". In fact they are in danger of going inactive. When they signed up they were well aware of the issues and had indicated that they would become active and qualified.

Well, now my "director" is following up on me and them and contacting them about their status. They feel uncomfortable with that and so do I. How do I ask her to kindly "leave us alone"? Can I request to be reassigned to another director? I recall my first one now.
Thanks

You cannot just be 'reassigned' you would have to go inactive and reassign. I would start by talking to her. In her mind, she is doing her job as a director following up with them. Even though they are your recruits, she is their director.You need to talk to her and so do they. She is doing her job and doesn't know to change unless you communicate.

I agree with Janets points.

In order to change directors you have to be INACTIVE for a period of ONE YEAR, then re-sign under who you want.

I also agree with Janet and Kelly.

On your director's behalf, she knows your intentions, but does she know theirs?! Maybe you should find out exactly what they want from their business if you don't already know and share it with your director. Politely let your director know that your recruits are not comfortable with her contacting them and would prefer that she go through you. Make sure she knows this is nothing about her, just that they prefer you talk to them as you have the rapport with them and know their intentions.

I hope this helps!!

Arg, I know you are all correct.
Was just hoping there was a way to avoid this. I have enough issues with confrontation at my full-time job, didn't want to have to deal with it here.
Thanks.

Hopefully this won't have to be a confrontation like issue for you.

Call your director, ask her if she has a few minutes to talk. Let her know how they feel and allow her to voice her concerns. you could ask if there was a reason she called. Maybe she needs the sales to maintain directorship right now? And so she is pushing everyone. Or maybe she just has an extra Conference boost that she is trying to develop a rapport with everyone. I think if you speak from your heart and are very nice about it, she may still be hurt, but it should NOT be a confrontation. If it becomes one, kindly let her know that you are going to hang up and would prefer to not discuss this until you both can be calm and rational and open to other peoples requests and feelings.

It is hard to type your tone of voice...know what I mean?!

I wish you the best with this.

Oh, and is she calling them or just emailing? If she is just emailing, then tell them to ignore. Well, not ignore per sae...but bless and release.

pampered.chris said:
Hopefully this won't have to be a confrontation like issue for you.

Call your director, ask her if she has a few minutes to talk. Let her know how they feel and allow her to voice her concerns. you could ask if there was a reason she called. Maybe she needs the sales to maintain directorship right now? And so she is pushing everyone. Or maybe she just has an extra Conference boost that she is trying to develop a rapport with everyone. I think if you speak from your heart and are very nice about it, she may still be hurt, but it should NOT be a confrontation. If it becomes one, kindly let her know that you are going to hang up and would prefer to not discuss this until you both can be calm and rational and open to other peoples requests and feelings.

It is hard to type your tone of voice...know what I mean?!

I wish you the best with this.

Oh, and is she calling them or just emailing? If she is just emailing, then tell them to ignore. Well, not ignore per sae...but bless and release.

Sorry to disagree, but do NOT tell them to ignore her, tell them to communicate with her their preferences.

Like I said, she is doing her job, she is following her director policies and fulfilling her commitment to PC. If you all want communication on another level or none at all, you need to talk to her about it.

Don't look at it either as a confrontation. Look at it as talking to a friend. Your friend doesn't know it is your birthday until you first tell her right?! That is something you share in a relationship. Your director doesn't know your recruits wishes until they tell them. Approach it from a positive side!

Sorry, that wasn't the right way to say that. It wasn't meant to come off that way. I was thinking that if she is going to talk to her director on behalf of her recruits then she can be the one to talk to her.

I personally would want them each to talk to their director. She isn't a stranger nor is she supposed to be. I have open communication w/ my director and AD. Neither have issues with this and I am very comfortable in doing so.

But I didn't word it properly and I agree with you Janet that they shouldn't ignore her. But perhaps more that they should understand what she is trying to do as it is part of her responsibility.

I am having a hard time trying to explain what I meant. Sorry

janetupnorth said:
Sorry to disagree, but do NOT tell them to ignore her, tell them to communicate with her their preferences.

Like I said, she is doing her job, she is following her director policies and fulfilling her commitment to PC. If you all want communication on another level or none at all, you need to talk to her about it.

Don't look at it either as a confrontation. Look at it as talking to a friend. Your friend doesn't know it is your birthday until you first tell her right?! That is something you share in a relationship. Your director doesn't know your recruits wishes until they tell them. Approach it from a positive side!

I agree - she is just doing her job. Especially if she knows that you are just part time, and not going to cluster meetings and participating - I'm sure she is wanting to make sure that they are getting whatever training they need to be successful.

Personally, I think it's a bit immature for them to come to you and complain about her involvement. Technically, she IS their director, and if they want a different level of communication from her, then they need to talk to her about it. They are adults, right?

I gotcha Chris :)

I would think that they should have a conversation with your Director. You did not indicate if they had all qualified. If they haven't she is just doing her due diligence to see that they qualify before going inactive.
If they are qualified, I think she is still doing her due diligence to let them know that they will go inactive and to check to see if they would like ideas or encouragement from her.
It sounds to me like you have a good relationship with your recruits.
It also sounds like she has no relationship with them.
I think it was wise of you to be completely up front with her, but I know that I will happily take under my wing girls that are not my personal recruits so that they are in the loop and feel like they can call me. They are my team, and by extention those girls are her team.
From what you say about her, I think a quick heart to heart would go over fine. My suggestion is to let your girls call her with their intentions. Then she can mark it down and respect everyone's boundaries :)

***I have 1/2 of my team about to go inactive myself, one of those is not my own. I know where her recruiter stands, but I am unsure about her. So I call, until she tells me to piss off. 1, it's my job. 2 I really do like her and if I can help....

Okay, just to clarify something. I have not inidicated that either of my recruits were complaining about anything. They were uncomfortable because they don't even know her, have never met her.

At least your Director cares enough to contact them! I got the first email from my Director in a couple of months (who since the girl who recruited me quit is now my recruiter as well) when I emailed her and my Hospitality Director over the weekend to tell them all my September bookings! The Hospitality Director asks to know this so she can put us on her Prayer Calendar to pray for each of us the day of our Shows...

Is there any reason you have not at least introduced your recruits to your Director? I would think they need some training or something else that you couldn't give them since you are part-time at best yourself. Believe me, if I had to depend on just my recruiter to train me, I would not have a clue! Take what she is doing as her "due diligence" and see if you can get a rapport of some kind with her. I really don't understand if you don't want to run anything but very part-time that you would even recruit. Don't take that the wrong way, but it isn't fair to them to not have a chance to do their business well. If they don't care about qualifying, it is a moot point. It's a shame though because even if the kit has tons of great products in it, it still is an investment!

pcchefjane said:
At least your Director cares enough to contact them! I got the first email from my Director in a couple of months (who since the girl who recruited me quit is now my recruiter as well) when I emailed her and my Hospitality Director over the weekend to tell them all my September bookings! The Hospitality Director asks to know this so she can put us on her Prayer Calendar to pray for each of us the day of our Shows...

Is there any reason you have not at least introduced your recruits to your Director? I would think they need some training or something else that you couldn't give them since you are part-time at best yourself. Believe me, if I had to depend on just my recruiter to train me, I would not have a clue! Take what she is doing as her "due diligence" and see if you can get a rapport of some kind with her. I really don't understand if you don't want to run anything but very part-time that you would even recruit. Don't take that the wrong way, but it isn't fair to them to not have a chance to do their business well. If they don't care about qualifying, it is a moot point. It's a shame though because even if the kit has tons of great products in it, it still is an investment!

That's the thought that was floating in my mind - but I couldn't form into words!

I talked extensively with both of them before signing and explained my philosophy and level of commitment. They were both very well aware of the environment and both expressed similar ideas.
Neither of them wanted to be involved full time. I spoke to each of them and explained that I would give them the level of training and time they wanted. I also gave them the opportunity to attend my Directors meetings. Both of them expressed, individually, that they were fine with the arrangement and preferred to remain somewhat autonomous.
My only concern with them is that they both expressed to me that they had every intention to qualify and make a legitimate effort to stay active.

KimoMakano said:
I talked extensively with both of them before signing and explained my philosophy and level of commitment. They were both very well aware of the environment and both expressed similar ideas.
Neither of them wanted to be involved full time. I spoke to each of them and explained that I would give them the level of training and time they wanted. I also gave them the opportunity to attend my Directors meetings. Both of them expressed, individually, that they were fine with the arrangement and preferred to remain somewhat autonomous.
My only concern with them is that they both expressed to me that they had every intention to qualify and make a legitimate effort to stay active.

I would think that would be hard to do without attending cluster meetings, or being in on all of the big announcements, or getting training on new shows and recipes. I'm sorry - but I've just never met a successful "autonomous" consultant. Please don't take that as criticism....I'm just trying to get this straight in my head, and I can't figure out how it would work. One phrase that I have always loved about this business is that you are in business for yourself, but not by yourself. It's the encouragement, and accountability of my director and clustermates that keeps me going and keeps me on track...If I didn't have anyone to be accountable to, or anyone who cheered me on or encouraged me, I don't think I would have lasted through my qualifying period.

No problem Becky. Maybe I am sort of an enigma. I have been able to operate independently okay. I agree it can be a little tough at times but that is the path I chose.

The one tihng that I really like about this business and that drew me in was exactly the ability to operate that way.

And I made it clear to my recruits the pros and cons of both. They were offered the option of going to meetings and made their choices.

I am glad that you had that conversation with your recruits. But I would think that if they haven't been able to qualify that you might welcome the input and help of someone that chooses to put more time into their business.
I know that some new recruits require alot more time than others. If you were on my team I would have let you take care of it until I saw that they were not qualifying and then I would have stepped in to help. I probably would have called you first to find out what was going on though. I wonder if that is what she is trying to do. Salvage a situation that she thinks you may not have time for. Maybe?

I think you should encourage your recruits to at least attend one cluster meeting so they can make an informed decision on their own whether to participate (and benefit from) them.

As their recruiter, you are also their role model (just the way it works) and it's natural for them to follow your lead. If you view your relationship with a director as unnecessary, they are likely to as well. Unlike you, they do not have the prior PC experience with which to make an assessment on what will help them and what will not.

I think the best advice you can give them is to explain that The Pampered Chef invests in their directors to coach and guide consultants to achieve whatever level of success they each want. Coaching is an opportunity to benefit from business tools and experience intended to help consultants (at all levels) be successful. (Again, 'success' is achieving one's personal business goals. Don't assume your director is expecting them to be the next superstar.) All said though, we are each independent and free to turn down any assistance offered.

legacypc46 said:
I think you should encourage your recruits to at least attend one cluster meeting so they can make an informed decision on their own whether to participate (and benefit from) them.

As their recruiter, you are also their role model (just the way it works) and it's natural for them to follow your lead. If you view your relationship with a director as unnecessary, they are likely to as well. Unlike you, they do not have the prior PC experience with which to make an assessment on what will help them and what will not.
I think the best advice you can give them is to explain that The Pampered Chef invests in their directors to coach and guide consultants to achieve whatever level of success they each want. Coaching is an opportunity to benefit from business tools and experience intended to help consultants (at all levels) be successful. (Again, 'success' is achieving one's personal business goals. Don't assume your director is expecting them to be the next superstar.) All said though, we are each independent and free to turn down any assistance offered.

As I read thru these posts this is eaxactly what was going thru my mind!

And.... If you want something different from your director just talk to her. Treat her as you would like to be treated. Maybee she got inspired at conference and is trying to step up her efforts? Maybee she is getting close to loosing her directorship? You just never know. I understand your recruits being uncomfortable with comunication from your/their director. I have been in a similar situation. It helped me greatly to be frank with my Dir. And after I met her personally I felt more comfortable.

A lot of great points have been made on this thread that I totally applaud.

When I started to recruit my recruits were also recruiting. My director was there but not but I truly thought that she was in contact with my recruits and theirs. I kept in touch with my recruits but didn't do (or have the resources to do) any training - my contact was more personal - but I have to admit that I didn't have a relationship with THEIR recruits other than group emails. When I started doing my meetings (before directorship because my director moved but with no PC resources to do that meeting but that's another thread) I reached out to my entire downline. I set up face to face meetings with them all. I found out that my director had had zero contact with them and that they all felt that they were swimming alone. They said that their recruiters didn't give them any training and they never heard anything from our director - just my emails and that wasn't anything really in their minds. It was a great lesson learned.

Now, I treat all recruits in my downline the same until the recruiter shows/feels that they are ready to take over the training on their way to directorship and even then they stay on my emails and I contact them occasionally to check in.

It is the directors responsibility to learn what the recruits goals are and to help them achieve those goals. It is also our responsibility to check back periodically to see if those goals have changed and to reassess what we can change to help everyone run their business THEIR WAY.

Everyone has had great info. What I hear is it is best to just talk to your director. She probably will be fine with it. It is your business and the business of the ones who signed up under you. Why not make it a "Thank you SO much for the offer...but We'll call you when we need you? We like our business this way." Do not be afraid to talk to her. I feel you are afraid it the conversation... does not need to be a confrontation.. and probably won't be. It will be ok!! And you will feel better afterward and grow a little. Good luck!!!!!!! You can do it!!! I always turn it around.. What if you "called" your recruits.. and they were talking about you and not liking you because of it and wanting a new director... You would want them to call and tell you wouldn't you?? Just be straight!! Can't fix something you are not aware of!!!

Okay, I get it. I was kinda hoping for one person to side with me though. :)

You all have given me the proverbial swift kick that I needed. I have spoken to one of my recruits and got calls into the other. We are taking a new and more dedicated approach. It is not about me anymore :(

Have sent an email to my "Director" explaining the situation and offering to make any amends needed to HO for her.

Thanks for all the encouragement, really. This was what I needed to re-evaluate how much I want out of this business.

Hey, we side with you on you wanting to do your business at your own level, but we have to communicate with each other. I'm glad you took the advice as sincere and to heart! Keep us posted on how things turn out and the good stuff that comes from your business!

Sometimes we need to be heard and not given advice. This sure seems like one of those times. Everyone gave good advice.. but not if you are wanting support for your stance (it may not be good for you). Everyone supports you. Good luck !

Good for you!
Please let us know how it turns out :)

Hi all,
Well I got a response back (I had sent an email).
She sounded kind of defensive and sort of bitter.
She also inferred that if they go inactive and then reactivate that they will no longer by my recruits but hers. Is that true? I called HO and they said that as long as I am active they would come back under me.
What will happen now that they go inactive is that they will ‘fall up to me’ when they come back. And you will no longer be their ‘lead’ so to speak so even when they reactivate and you promote. Further they will not follow you- they will remain with the Dream Makers-which is another reason for me To ‘not like this’ as I know that was not their intent or yours…..

Mahalo..

KimoMakano said:
Hi all,
She also inferred that if they go inactive and then reactivate that they will no longer by my recruits but hers. Is that true? I called HO and they said that as long as I am active they would come back under me.

Mahalo..

First, I wouldn't do an email - I'd call her. I know that's harder, but it's the best way. She may be reading more into your email than you are saying, and that's why she is defensive. It's difficult to have a true conversation by email.

But you are correct about your recruits. The only way you lose them is by going inactive.

KimoMakano said:
Hi all,

Mahalo..

No, they will always be yours - unless YOU go inactive. If you go inactive they will roll up to her.

Thanks, that is what I understood also.
One more quick question.
Their "End Date" for their 90 day periods are both in August. As I understand they have the remaining of August and all of Sept to submit their $200 to remain active. Is that correct?
I apologize for all of this but up until now hadn't really given it much attention. I am turning a new leaf and want to do the right thing for my recruits and the business.

Thanks again.

(Oh, and I would have called her but I am a chicken! I figured email was better than ignoring her). :)

I agree that phone is best to iron this out. Good luck.

So....what can we do to help give you the courage and psych you up to call her?

I think it's wonderful that you are trying to help your consultants BTW. My understanding is that they have until the end of Sept. before they go inactive.

The one thing that frustrates me about being an FD is that we get no communication from HO about our recruits - it all goes to the director. So, although I am taking on the responsibility of training them and coaching them, I don't get the warning emails about inactive status, or issues with CC's being declined or any of that....it all goes to my director, and I have to get it 2nd hand from her - if she remembers to send it to me! I think I should at least be CC'd this info.

This is where good communication w/ your director comes into play. If you aren't comfortable calling her, because you are a lone ranger, then you aren't getting valuable info you need to help your recruits with their business.

Okay, time to update.
I have had no "personal contact" with my "director" as of yet (I know!!). She seems kinda peeved and when I have talked with her in the past the conversations, though fine, were longer than I wished (if you know what I mean).

Anyway, I have had good communications with at least one of my recruits and she is really upbeat. She has communicated with my "director" and let her know that she would like to attend a cluster meetingbut has yet to hear back from her. I will be working more closely with her also. She just submitted her first show, yeah!!

The other one needs a little more encouragement. I will follow up with her.

I am changing, slowly but surely.

One last question. In an earlier post I had mentioned that I thought my recruits had the remainder of their last month (of their 90 days) and the full next month to submit a show to stay active. It seems like that is either wrong or has changed. They both went inactive Sept. 1st. When I called HO they said the policy is they become inactive the first of the month after their last month of the 90 days. Confusing enough???

Anyway, their 90 days ended in the middle of August. So, I had thought based on what I read that they had the remained or August and the full month of Sept. Did I interpret that wrong or did the policy change? I was sure that is what I read but that is not what it reads now.

Thanks.

If they have submitted nothing.
They will go inactive on the 1st of the month following their 90 day date
example:
Monica signed May 19th
Her 90 day is Aug 19th
She did no shows and has no sales Monica goes inactive Sept 1st.

Here's the other way
Mary also signed May 19th
Her 90 day is Aug 19th
Mary submitted 500 in June and 500 in July
Mary does nothing else
Mary will go inactive Oct 1st.

I hope that makes sense :)

Thanks Cheryl,
That makes perfect sense, and is how I read it, NOW.
But for some reason it seems like that is not what I read last month. Maybe I just need to chalk it up to old-timers.
Mahalos!!

Your welcome, we all have our "moments"

I got a PM from someone who thought that my comments and issues were "un-Christian".

Were they? I thought I was being objective and even thought that I had mentioned my own shortcomings?

I am totally off base here? As a believer I really do want to do the right thing..

KimoMakano said:
I got a PM from someone who thought that my comments and issues were "un-Christian".

Were they? I thought I was being objective and even thought that I had mentioned my own shortcomings?

I am totally off base here? As a believer I really do want to do the right thing..

That is insane.

I would so not be concerned about someone who doesn't know you passing judgment on you like that.
We all have issues and things that we deal with in our lives, and it is always a process. God doesn't expect us to always know the right thing to do, He just wants us to turn to Him for the answers that we need.

ChefBeckyD said:
That is insane.

I would so not be concerned about someone who doesn't know you passing judgment on you like that.
We all have issues and things that we deal with in our lives, and it is always a process. God doesn't expect us to always know the right thing to do, He just wants us to turn to Him for the answers that we need.

I have to agree with Becky. We never know what is in the heart of another person. I am thankful to have never gotten a PM like that on here.

ChefBeckyD said:
That is insane.

I agree. I am amazed that so many people think they have a right to judge when they only get a snippet of someone's thoughts. Personally, I think it's "un-Christian" to make such a statement. I'm sorry that person caused you such stress.

PS: Un-Christian also implies (to me) that people of other faiths (like our Jewish friends) are not good people which is totally bogus.

1. Can I request to be reassigned to another director?

Yes, you can request to be reassigned to another director. You can reach out to our customer service team and explain your situation. They will be able to assist you in finding a new director for your business. Keep in mind that you may need to provide a valid reason for the reassignment.

2. How do I ask my current director to kindly "leave us alone"?

We understand that you may not want your director to contact you and your team frequently. It's important to communicate your expectations and boundaries clearly. You can politely explain to your director that you and your team prefer to work at your own pace and would appreciate less frequent check-ins. Alternatively, you can also suggest setting up a specific schedule for communication that works for both parties.

3. What if my director is contacting my team members and making them uncomfortable?

If your director is making your team members uncomfortable, it's important to address the situation. You can start by having a conversation with your director and explaining the discomfort your team members are experiencing. If the issue persists, you can reach out to our customer service team for further assistance.

4. Can I still be a consultant if I cannot commit to attending cluster meetings?

Yes, you can still be a consultant even if you are unable to attend cluster meetings. We understand that everyone has different schedules and commitments. As long as you are actively running your business and meeting the minimum requirements, you can continue to be a consultant with us.

5. Is it possible to have a part-time business with Pampered Chef?

Yes, it is possible to have a part-time business with Pampered Chef. Many of our consultants have successful businesses while balancing other commitments such as a full-time job or family responsibilities. It's important to communicate your availability and expectations with your director and find a schedule that works for you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• baychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • OhmyDLM
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
OhmyDLM
  • almondfarm