• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Be a Pampered Chef Consultant While Working Full Time?

In summary, being a Pampered Chef consultant while working full time is possible as long as you have good time management skills and dedication to your business. It should not interfere with your full time job as you can schedule parties and events around your work schedule, and dedicate at least 10-15 hours per week to your business. Utilizing tools and effective communication can help you balance both roles successfully.
HealthNut
Hello! So I am hosting my first party on August 7. Very excited! I have also decided to become a consultant, as I've got friends at work (who are coming to my party) who already want to host FOR me!

Thing is - I work a full time 40+ hour 8 - 5 monday - friday job that I absolutely LOVE...so I'm not looking for a new job - just something supplemental to help pay off some debt.

Just curious if anyone here is a part-time consultant with a full time job otherwise?

How does it work for you?

There are lots of people like that here. I'm not one of them usually. I do temp work and occasionally work a 40-hour week with that. The best advice I can give is to set your schedule. Pick the dates and times when you're willing to work your PC business. When those dates and times are full for, say, August, you can tell people that your August is full. I know it's possible to do both. Best wishes, fellow Hoosier!

I work 40 hours a week and have been doing PC for almost 4 years. It does take some juggling but it is totally manageable! I sometimes will take breaks times or lunch to make calls or close shows if I don't have time in the evening. My kit is always packed in my car so if I'm leaving for a show, I'm not running around looking for stuff. All I take in with me after a party is my catalogs to change out.

I work FT and then some, commute 45min each way to work, work out 3-5x per week 30mins away from work (opposite direction from home), I am active in two community organizations, & am a single homeowner (so that means I do all the house work myself). Add in there any social life. I started in June 09 and promoted to Director July 1, 2010. I keep up with my team, take additional trainings and spend endless amounts of time on Facebook & Chef Success.

Bottom line: Busy people get things done!

Best advice: SCHEDULE YOUR LIFE! Schedule everything! If you want to call a host tomorrow night - put it on a daily calendar with a time just like an appointment with a dentist or a work appt. Make sure you block out time on that calendar ahead of time for when you will work your biz but even more so, when u schedule everything else in your life. It can be VERY overwhelming depending on how much you want to do but it just takes time mgmt and planning to get back in line.

As Jillian Michaels would say (from the Biggest Loser) "When you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Best wishes!

Melissa78 said:
I work FT and then some, commute 45min each way to work, work out 3-5x per week 30mins away from work (opposite direction from home), I am active in two community organizations, & am a single homeowner (so that means I do all the house work myself). Add in there any social life. I started in June 09 and promoted to Director July 1, 2010. I keep up with my team, take additional trainings and spend endless amounts of time on Facebook & Chef Success.

Best advice: SCHEDULE YOUR LIFE! Schedule everything! If you want to call a host tomorrow night - put it on a daily calendar with a time just like an appointment with a dentist or a work appt. Make sure you block out time on that calendar ahead of time for when you will work your biz but even more so, when u schedule everything else in your life. It can be VERY overwhelming depending on how much you want to do but it just takes time mgmt and planning to get back in line.

As Jillian Michaels would say (from the Biggest Loser) "When you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Best wishes!

:thumbup: thanks!! it's good to know that there are others out there that have full time jobs that are not PC. I'm very excited ABOUT PC, of course - but I don't want to do anything to compromise my career. But I'm excited to have SOMETHING else to do other than work.

My husband and I also own our own house and only have three fur-babies, no real babies yet (although will be TTC at the end of this year...)

Anyways - thanks SO much for the replies so far!

HealthNut said:
:thumbup: thanks!! it's good to know that there are others out there that have full time jobs that are not PC. I'm very excited ABOUT PC, of course - but I don't want to do anything to compromise my career. But I'm excited to have SOMETHING else to do other than work.

My husband and I also own our own house and only have three fur-babies, no real babies yet (although will be TTC at the end of this year...)

Anyways - thanks SO much for the replies so far!

I'm starting soon too, like you and Melissa, very busy with FT job. Thanks for asking this question, I'm getting so much from the answers. Welcome to ChefSuccess, you'll get lots of great ideas and support here!

I work full-time as a teacher and have been with PC for almost 6 years. Organization is the key. I control my calendar. I highlight the days I want to do PC shows. I get help from my kids stamping catalogs and putting together 8 packets each month so they are ready to hand out to hosts. I make calls in the evenings from 7:00-8:30. I pick just two recipes each month for hosts to choose from and I make out a list of the tools I need for each, so I am ready to go when needed. Good luck! We can be successful and work full-time outside of PC.

I do NOT work outside of my home, but I wanted to say, "Congrats!" on your great decision!

I am a new consultant, but also work 2 other jobs. My full time job is as an attorney and VP of a local bank, so that's easily 60+ hours a week. My husband and I also own a national corporation, for which I am the secretary. That takes about 20 hours a week of bookwork. Then I do PC as my stress relief job. In addition, I spend a lot of time every January through July organizing an annual fishing tournament for 400 kids. We do not have children at this point in our lives, but do spend a lot of time and attention on our two adorable yorkies. It is completely do-able if you're motivated. In my case, I find its so much fun, I can't wait for my next party.

oh my goodness. LKB, I dont think I have enough energy for your life without PC. You and Melissa are going to be pictures I keep in mind for when I feel "too busy"
thanks everyone for sharing.
By the way, my two bichons say helllo to your yorkies and Melissas fur babies.

@BlueMoon- my aunt has bichons. They are so cute! Sorry for the hijack.

What the heck is a bichon? funny name.

lockhartkitchen said:
What the heck is a bichon? funny name.
I'm trying to attach a pic of my 2 little bichon frisees. The name means curly haired lap dog, and these 2 don't normally wear shirts, but I love this photo
they each weigh about 15 lbs

Attachments

• 2 lil bichon frisees.jpg
    2 lil bichon frisees.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 344
I work full-time night shift as an RN, attend school full-time, own a home, & am in the process of starting a business with DH. It IS possible to work your business & do PC if YOU wan to. I believe theirs a really good cd (most likely an mp3 download now) for those who work fulltime & still do PC. Ill work on locating the name of it for you... or maybe some of our fellwo cheffers already know it. :)

lockhartkitchen said:
I work full-time as a teacher and have been with PC for almost 6 years. Organization is the key. I control my calendar. I highlight the days I want to do PC shows. I get help from my kids stamping catalogs and putting together 8 packets each month so they are ready to hand out to hosts. I make calls in the evenings from 7:00-8:30. I pick just two recipes each month for hosts to choose from and I make out a list of the tools I need for each, so I am ready to go when needed. Good luck! We can be successful and work full-time outside of PC.
I'm a high school teacher full-time and a community college adjunct instructor online. I have one more teenager in the house. I You are absolutely right - organization is key! I guess because I'm used to planning for school everyday, planning for a show is much the same. You don't want to leave your students, or in this case, guests hanging.

thank you all so much! really I'm loving hearing from everyone who has such full lives!and lovin' the furbabies. :p we have a black pug and a golden retreiver/lab mix as well as my 8 year old calico cat.I'd love more tips, though, as far as making sure we all organize everything!The more and more I read these boards and talk to my friend (the consultant doing my party on the 8th - who I knew from high school and haven't talked to in over 10 years, thanks, facebook! lol) I just keep getting so excited!

question - well, here's the thing - my first party that i'm HOSTING is actually next saturday (again, a friend from high school who I haven't seen in 10 years i the consultant who i'll also be working with to become one myself...) - and I can't find the information on the HOST stuff for August about the rewards for August. She sent me stuff for July (I was going to have it July 24 but had to move it to August) and I thought I saw something around here that IN August the rewards for free product value is a little different...where can I find that? Thanks!!

I can appreciate what you are going through as I work fulltime and take call M-F until 8pm, just got divorced and raising the cutest 7 y/o DS...Oh did I mention the 15 week old Cockapoo???? I would also like some organization tips as well as ways to drum up business since I don't get out much anymore. Had a few catalog shows and my grand opening so far. My nfirst cooking show is tomorrow...Wish me luck! The only bad thing about it is that it is 60 miles away! Would love to book some shows, but there is a part of me that thinks I would be crazy to keep driving that far too!

BlueMoon said:
I'm trying to attach a pic of my 2 little bichon frisees. The name means curly haired lap dog, and these 2 don't normally wear shirts, but I love this photo

Irony - I have a 4yr old Bichon named Tucker. He's a linebacker though (thanks to Grammy who feeds him like a grandchild) and weighs in at 24lbs. Right now he looks like a homeless dog gone bag - his hair is horrid due to really really really bad allergies. :( Poor tuckies. Love the pic of yours! :thumbup:

oh yeah - another question I have...not that this should be a problem, as I really believe I WON'T have a problem - but what happens if I don't make my full $1250 within 30 days? I haven't been able to talk to my friend (the consultant) as she's on vacation...

The $1250 in sales is only a goal. (There is no penalty, etc.) There are months like July-August where $1250 in sales in your first 30 days earns you a selection of the new fall products. You will want to reach this goal, as it also gets you double free PC dollars in your first 30 days. $1250 in sales in your first 30 days gets you $100 in free PC dollars.

BlueMoon said:

Cute! Now I know.

lockhartkitchen said:
The $1250 in sales is only a goal. (There is no penalty, etc.) There are months like July-August where $1250 in sales in your first 30 days earns you a selection of the new fall products. You will want to reach this goal, as it also gets you double free PC dollars in your first 30 days. $1250 in sales in your first 30 days gets you $100 in free PC dollars.

awesome! of course i'd LOVE $100 in free pc dollars! :p

Melissa78 said:

Best wishes!

I think Melissa is living my life! LOL! I totally agree with all of her advice. I'm a teacher, mother, commuter, 4-H leader, Boy Scout mom, Secretary of a fraternal organization, Sunday School teacher, and PC Consultant. It all works because I CHOOSE to make it work!!!

thank you all SO much - you guys give me hope that this really is a GREAT decision for me! I'm just getting more and more excited!! course I made my husband some pancakes for breakfast this morning and kept thinking "man I wish I had ___ from PC already!" lolagain - next saturday is my party and I'll talk details with my friend and start the process of becoming a consultant!!!!

So I just realized, I didn't "formally" introduce myself... :)
Let's see. My name is Keri-Ann and I'm a 30 year old (be 31 end of August) woman from Indianapolis. My husband and I just had our fabulous Wedding on June 26, 2010 - but we were legally married on April 13 of 2009 for insurance reasons.I work full time for a pharmaceutical research development company and I absolutely LOVE my job.We have no babies yet - we will be TTC at the end of this year - til then we have a 6 year old black pug, a 1.5 year old golden lab/retriever mix and my 9 year old calico cat.The reason I've chosen to become a consultant - among many - is mainly to pay off some debt before we do start a family. Plus - while my job keeps me busy, and I have my hobbies such as scrapbooking and lowcarb/fitness - I really don't have a lot of social outlets and I believe this'd be GREAT for me to really come out of my "shell".One thing that I will have to work on, I know, is the fact that my own lifestyle (low carb/low sugar) will be something I will have to learn how to balance while making "common" food that everyone will eat.I have been to two pampered chef parties in my life - and they were over 12 years ago, when I was in high school. The only thing I bought, I still have! The classic batter bowl and I love it - but am missing the lid. lol.So yeah, that's me in a nutshell!

straitfan said:
I think Melissa is living my life! LOL! It all works because I CHOOSE to make it work!!!

Amen sista! :D

Healthnut - you may over time be able to incorporate it into your shows and be giving people some tips. Many people these days want to follow your way of life but we just don't because of either lack of knowledge, time, or pure laziness. :) (hey I'm honest!) but just don't be pushy about it. PC shows to me are about learning how to get the best out of your tools and your time in the kitchen to get back to the family life etc. People love when I tell them how to pick out a pineapple and that they don't have to smell all of their produce. So why tell them how "you" would maybe change the recipe if they were looking to be low carb/low sugar like you.

I bow to you with envy. I live for sugary foods and carbs but unfortunately they don't live for me. With PCOS - they are my enemy but I don't do well avoiding them. :)

Melissa78 said:
Healthnut - you may over time be able to incorporate it into your shows and be giving people some tips. Many people these days want to follow your way of life but we just don't because of either lack of knowledge, time, or pure laziness. :) (hey I'm honest!) but just don't be pushy about it. PC shows to me are about learning how to get the best out of your tools and your time in the kitchen to get back to the family life etc. People love when I tell them how to pick out a pineapple and that they don't have to smell all of their produce. So why tell them how "you" would maybe change the recipe if they were looking to be low carb/low sugar like you.I bow to you with envy. I live for sugary foods and carbs but unfortunately they don't live for me. With PCOS - they are my enemy but I don't do well avoiding them. :)
:) thanks!! it IS hard and i'm by NO means perfect (i've actually gained back 10 pounds, but I blame that on wedding stress...) And I'm sure I'll figure out a way to incorporate it, some but I also understand that I will need to cater to other people and "easy/inexpensive" meals for families...course I'll just try to do what I can with whole unprocessed foods/recipes!I actually eat a LOT of desserts - but I also use other sweeteners that some people can't handle, digestive-wise, and some can. Such as Erythritol, Stevia & Xylitol - BUT they are much more expensive than just sugar :(
Course splenda's better than sugar...I dunno - I don't wanna feel like I'm compromising my own beliefs - but at the same time, the cooking shows really intrigue me and I want to, again, do inexpensive and easy - and unfortunately my eating habits are not! lol - at least not when it comes to specialty items. lol. :) And I don't - by any means - ever want to feel like I'm trying to force my own eating habits on anyone else.I'm sure I'll figure out some way to incorporate things - but again, I know that this isn't about my lifestyle - but about how to sell a product to make other people's lives easier. :)

Hi Keri-Ann!!!! (-: I'm glad you're getting so much useful information on this site! (-: I can't wait for your show Saturday. It's been way too long since I've seen you! (I was just looking at our prom pics the other day.....my Junior prom, your Senior, I believe....green dress?) Keep at all your questions on here. This is such a great source for tips!

lockhartkitchen said:

Don't forget that with $1250 in sales you also get a monthly sales bonus! (-:

Keri-Ann,
No one says you have to use the more expensive ways at your shows but you can tell them about them so that they know there are options out there. I have never heard of 2 of the sweeteners you mentioned so to me that would be a learning experience.

Also - no one said you have to eat what you make at your shows. I am a super picky eater and I think in my year+ of doing shows, I have eaten what I prepared 3-4x in that whole year. I either don't have the time, everyone eats it all up, or I don't like what I make but they love it. I make 3 cheese garden pizza a LOT but i hate the veggies on it minus the mushrooms. I argued with my director when I started that Ididn't want to do the pizza but she encouraged it and said "they will love it! just trust me!" She was right and when it comes to the show, its all about them and not me. When the hosts offer me something ot eat, I simply say "No thank you. I'm not hungry." as to not offend.

There are some recipes that should be perfect for you (but I dont recommend as your main demo) such as the Red/White/Blue trifle. I use sugar free pudding/pie filling, a sugar free angel food cake & yogurt, fresh berries & sugar free cool whip. The only ingredient I can't seem to find that is sugar free the container of frozen strawberries in juice (maybe its out there but not at the store I shop in). The recipe goes over big every time I did it. Its easy for your guests, sells trifle bowls, doesn't really compromise your beliefs and is great in the hot summer when u don't want to heat up the house.

Combine it with the Cheeseburger Salad Recipe for your main demo (again cool in temp, easy, inexpensive and a hit - also sugar free!) and VOILA you're a hit and you could eat it all. :)

deanna_g said:
Hi Keri-Ann!!!! (-: I'm glad you're getting so much useful information on this site! (-: I can't wait for your show Saturday. It's been way too long since I've seen you! (I was just looking at our prom pics the other day.....my Junior prom, your Senior, I believe....green dress?) Keep at all your questions on here. This is such a great source for tips!
Hey Dee!!! Like I told you - I am SERIOUSLY excited to start this! and I know - I actually have some pics, too, from thespians with you in a poodle skirt with - one of your hs bf's (I think it was Brian)... :) i'll send you them on fb later!

Melissa78 said:
Keri-Ann,
No one says you have to use the more expensive ways at your shows but you can tell them about them so that they know there are options out there. I have never heard of 2 of the sweeteners you mentioned so to me that would be a learning experience.

Also - no one said you have to eat what you make at your shows. I am a super picky eater and I think in my year+ of doing shows, I have eaten what I prepared 3-4x in that whole year. I either don't have the time, everyone eats it all up, or I don't like what I make but they love it. I make 3 cheese garden pizza a LOT but i hate the veggies on it minus the mushrooms. I argued with my director when I started that Ididn't want to do the pizza but she encouraged it and said "they will love it! just trust me!" She was right and when it comes to the show, its all about them and not me. When the hosts offer me something ot eat, I simply say "No thank you. I'm not hungry." as to not offend.

There are some recipes that should be perfect for you (but I dont recommend as your main demo) such as the Red/White/Blue trifle. I use sugar free pudding/pie filling, a sugar free angel food cake & yogurt, fresh berries & sugar free cool whip. The only ingredient I can't seem to find that is sugar free the container of frozen strawberries in juice (maybe its out there but not at the store I shop in). The recipe goes over big every time I did it. Its easy for your guests, sells trifle bowls, doesn't really compromise your beliefs and is great in the hot summer when u don't want to heat up the house.

Combine it with the Cheeseburger Salad Recipe for your main demo (again cool in temp, easy, inexpensive and a hit - also sugar free!) and VOILA you're a hit and you could eat it all. :)

thanks! and you're right - with the bit of reading and research I've done about PC - that's one thing I'm keeping in mind - it is all about them, not me. And that's ok - as long as I can sell the product! :D

But I agree that adding in information about "well there are these other
options" is def. something I will try doing!

I just did a show for a host who was diabetic. I didn't know it until the end when she told everyone all that was made (by her) was done with either Splenda or another artificial sweetener. There are many other people like her out there that will just love to hear from you! Best wishes!

Keri-Ann, I too was legally married months prior to our real wedding for similar reasons. We were married in Oct 2009 & are having our formal wedding & reception in SIX days!! We are catering everything ourselves, which to sounded like a good idea at the time, but now sounds crazy!! On a side note, you can get a replacement lid for the batter bowl. :)

Keri-Ann, I'm diabetic, so I understand your low sugar/low carb issues. I often share the stuff I know about making things a little healthier at my shows. Most people like knowing that there are healthier alternatives out there, even if they don't avail themselves of the opportunity to actually eat/cook healthier. ;)Sounds to me like you're off to a great, successful start.

HealthNut said:
Hey Dee!!! Like I told you - I am SERIOUSLY excited to start this! and I know - I actually have some pics, too, from thespians with you in a poodle skirt with - one of your hs bf's (I think it was Brian)... :) i'll send you them on fb later!

And you have no idea how excited I am that YOU are excited!!! (-: And yes....that was Brian. He was pretty much my only "real" HS Boyfriend. The others were just flings. (-;

I miss acting! I went and saw Godspell last night and it brought back memories of the PHS production!

deanna_g said:
And you have no idea how excited I am that YOU are excited!!! (-: And yes....that was Brian. He was pretty much my only "real" HS Boyfriend. The others were just flings. (-;

I miss acting! I went and saw Godspell last night and it brought back memories of the PHS production!

yeah - we're going to see the Music Man this friday - one of my supervisors at work is in it! but i haven't seen a good play or musical (high school/community theatre wise) in YEARS!

Tropicalburstqt2 said:
Keri-Ann, I too was legally married months prior to our real wedding for similar reasons. We were married in Oct 2009 & are having our formal wedding & reception in SIX days!! We are catering everything ourselves, which to sounded like a good idea at the time, but now sounds crazy!!

On a side note, you can get a replacement lid for the batter bowl. :)

good luck!!!! i can't TELL you how much less stressed we are now that our wedding is actually DONE! it was fabulous though! course the awesome thing - since you mentioned catering - my husband is the manager of a catering company - we had a pretty big wedding - and for 85 people, the food, servers AND cake - total his boss charged us $850! :D i love connections - lol.

We have 175 that have replied with yeses along with a few who haven't replied either way. We are catering for 3 days with a total of 6 meals. Can't wait to just sit back & watch it all unfold!

I work a Full Time job and do PC very PT. Besides working my FT job (in which I HATE!) I am very busy with my 85 year old (young) Mother and I care for my 37 year old son who has disablities. So it can be done. I usually only schedule one or two show a month because of my schedule. But there have been times when my shows have cancelled. You will have ups and downs with this business.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Rebajoe

I must say - already i LOVE pc....still haven't had my party (4 more days!) but I decided to print up some flyers with my name & email on them to get my name out there - and tonight was our neighborhood bbq - and I ended up talking to 3 different people!! 2 DEFINITELY sounded interested!! but thing is, i'm a VERY shy person - I do NOT talk to "strangers"...but dangit - I did! :) and got to know some people along the way. :)

Way to go, Keri-Ann! Put yourself out there! It'll pay off (literally) later! Can't wait to see you Saturday! Check your email.

1. Can I be a Pampered Chef consultant while working full time?

Yes, you can absolutely be a Pampered Chef consultant while working a full time job. Many consultants have successful businesses while also working a full time job. It just requires good time management and dedication to your Pampered Chef business.

2. Will being a Pampered Chef consultant interfere with my full time job?

As long as you are able to manage your time effectively, being a Pampered Chef consultant should not interfere with your full time job. You can schedule parties and events around your work schedule, and most of your Pampered Chef business can be done during evenings and weekends.

3. How much time will I need to dedicate to my Pampered Chef business?

The amount of time you dedicate to your Pampered Chef business is up to you. However, to see success and grow your business, it is recommended to dedicate at least 10-15 hours per week. This can include preparing for parties, following up with customers, and promoting your business on social media.

4. Can I host parties while working full time?

Yes, you can definitely host parties while working full time. You can schedule parties on evenings and weekends, and even have virtual parties that can be done during your lunch break or after work. As a consultant, you also have the option to have other consultants host parties for you, which can help alleviate some of the time commitment.

5. How do I balance being a consultant and working full time?

Balancing being a consultant and working full time requires good time management skills. It is important to prioritize your tasks and schedule your time effectively. Utilizing tools such as a planner or calendar can also help keep you organized. It is also important to communicate with your team and customers to ensure they are aware of your availability and can work with your schedule.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Alora Rueth
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Julie Henne
  • Kara Eaton
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Jeesjohn
  • Kari L Ferrell