• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Friendship Tested Through Business

In summary, the conversation revolved around two individuals sharing their experiences of being let down by friends who were also direct selling consultants. They discussed the importance of supporting each other's businesses and the disappointment and hurt that comes with being betrayed by a friend. They also offered advice on how to handle such situations and the lesson learned from these experiences.
ItalianChef
I just called one of my ( I thought friends to have a show) and she said that she had another rep that was a paying customer in her hair salon that was a pampered chef consultant and she was not going to have a show for me to get my business started. I was very upset cause we have been friends for many years and I have helped her out with her marriage issues and been a very great support for her and bought many products from her other busieness and she can not even help me out I am so disssappointed on her. Am I wrong for feeling this way I feel like this is a true test to see that she is really not a friend.

Italian Chef:confused:

What a selfish person!I am sorry but whenever it comes to direct selling businesses I think it is very important to help each other out. So some of my friends sell Mary Kay, or Avon, or whatever, I still try to help them out. And they in return help me out.
I was in the same situation as you are. This lady was a very good friend for years and she told me she would do a catalog show for me if I sold some of her MK stuff. So I said ok and asked around to see if anyone was interested in buying MK. There were some ladies at my mother's work who ordered and I sold a little over $100 worth of products.
I then met with her to give her the orders, money and checks. When I asked how many orders she had gotten for me she said "Oh I haven't had anyone ask me about PC stuff yet!" So I gave her the benefit of the doubt and kept my mouth shut. I was thinking "Well they aren't going to call you asking to buy PC stuff, you probably have to ask...DUH!!!"
So I call back a week later and she said "Sorry I haven't gotten any orders." So as you can imagine I was upset that I got her over $100 in orders and she just used me and lied about getting orders for me. I was hurt and very upset. She was my friend I thought, but it turned out she was being selfish. She is very self conscious about herself and put in so much money into MK to get started (like over $2,000) buying inventory and stuff. She isn't doing too well and probably thought I would steal away potential customers.
Either way I think it was a lousy thing to do to me. We don't really talk anymore because I moved and she is always too busy to call, or get together. I will NEVER help her out again.
Fool me once it's your fault! Fool me twice it'e MY fault!!
I won't fall for that again. I actually have a new MK lady for my own personal purchases, who by the way, had two shows for me already!!
Find those who are wiling to help you, and help them out too. Not that you would have known this while you were helping her out, but life's full of interesting lessons!! :p
Debbie

Disappointing, but....I know this was a huge disappointment for you and I am sorry that happened to you.

Even though I started my business with family and friends, I have always tried to be understanding of when they have not wanted to host a show or make a purchase. They come first in my life, not my business. My twin sister did not discourage me from my business, but I could not get her to host a show for me until I completed my first year of business. Then she ended up hosting two shows that year and several of her friends have hosted shows.

My advice is to always talk about how great your Pampered Chef business is going when you talk with her. Keep the conversation very upbeat. If she sees your enthusiasm she might eventually change her mind.

Good luck!

This same . tHing happened to me. I had a beautician who was family on my husbands side and had gone to her for about five years. Asked her one day to host a show for me and said she would. So when I went back for a hair appointment and talked to her too see what date she wanted for her party she told me she booked off another customer who sold P.C.
I never walked back in her shop again.:)

I'm sorry that happened to you. Its sad to think that we go out of our way for others and you'd expect the same in return but only to get stepped on.

The same thing happened to me and I have to say I sort of hold a grudge. My friend sold Avon for years.. always bought from her. No matter what I ordered (even if I didnt have much $$). She said she'd have a PC party for me. Never responded when I asked. then one day she said yes and booked the date. Then 3 wks before the party she says that she asked her family/friends and they said PC is too expensive and she wasnt having one. She never offered to buy a thing, never looked at a catalog, nada! I was so psed off that I just responded thanks anyway.

I wonder why people dont realize that as friends you help each other out. I'm not asking for her to spend $100 on stuff, I just ask that she look at the catalog and say not now or I dont need anything whatever.. but she didnt.

I totally get where you are coming from and you are not over reacting at all.

I have an extremely snooty cousin who is into PC big time. She lives about 2 hours away from me, but she has bought Mary Kay from me when I sold it, and I just shipped it to her. Anyway, she has two sisters who have each hosted 3 shows for me. One of the sisters asked Miss Snooty to book a show from hers so she could get another hostess special. Miss Snooty said she couldn't do one and none of her friends would come. So, sister just booked another one off herself. A week before Sister's party, Miss Snooty sends her an invite to HER PC party with another consultant. Me and Miss Snooty have never been even slightly close because of the age difference and the distance apart that we live, so I wasn't too upset. Sister was very mad and I felt bad for her.

Anyway, Miss Snooty had to postpone her party because no one could come. She ended up having it and the consultant did something that made her really mad. I don't remember exactly what it was, but she won't use her anymore. She still hasn't booked from me, but oh well. She buys quite a bit when one of the other Sister's has a show.

i too have a friend who sells Body Shop At Home.I have hosted 3 shows for her in the past 2 years.Think she has done one for me??
I just go to the mall now for my Body Shop products (saves me the shipping + i can get 10% off with the club card)

Victoria...don't waste your time with people like this. I know it's disappointing but people can be lame!!

Another direct seller said to me, "When you start selling and you find out who your friends are." It was tongue and cheek, but very true. I have been blessed to have some people support me, I really only had a few friends do shows. After my SS period, I was out of my circle completely.

I figure its better to find out about this woman now rather than being on your way to her house for the show and have her cancel.

1. What are some common challenges that can arise when doing business with friends?

Working with friends can create potential conflicts in both personal and professional relationships. Some common challenges include differences in work styles, communication issues, and blurred boundaries between work and personal life.

2. How can I maintain a professional relationship with my friend while doing business together?

Setting clear expectations and boundaries from the beginning is key to maintaining a professional relationship with a friend. It's important to communicate openly and address any issues that may arise in a timely and respectful manner. It's also helpful to establish a clear division between work and personal time.

3. What should I do if a disagreement arises between me and my friend in a business setting?

It's important to approach the disagreement with a calm and professional attitude. Communicate openly and try to find a compromise or solution that works for both parties. If necessary, involve a neutral third party to mediate the situation.

4. How can I ensure that my friendship remains intact while conducting business together?

Communication is key in maintaining a strong friendship while doing business together. It's important to be open and honest with each other, and to address any issues or concerns as they arise. Additionally, making time for non-work related activities and regularly checking in with each other can help strengthen your friendship.

5. Are there any benefits to doing business with friends?

Working with friends can have many benefits, such as increased trust and understanding, shared values and goals, and a strong support system. Additionally, friends often have complementary skills and strengths that can benefit the business. However, it's important to carefully consider the potential challenges before going into business with a friend.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• stefani2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
stefani2
  • rennea
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
Replies