• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

forThose in the Central Time Zone...i Have Always Wondered

S
sfdavis918
I have always wondered whenever I see times for shows on TV and it says 8 eastern/7 central, do you do everything an hour earlier than the rest of us? Is it just limited to TV or is it everything? Like, do you have dinner at 4:30 instead of 5:30? Does school start at 7:00 and get out at 2:00?

Sorry, it's just where my mind wanders sometimes.:angel:

Actually, I've wondered that about those of you in California too......:rolleyes:

yes school does start around 7 and gets out around 2ish, as far as dinner goes, alot of people usually don't get to eat until around 6 or so our time, due to working and all.

No we do everything at the normal times!! School starts at 820 and out at 320. Supper is at 6 or so.

not everything is an hour earlier.We eat dinner at 6 p.m.
School starts at 8:30 a.m.
The news is on at 10 p.m. and then we go to bed, so we don't stay up as late as you guys :)

DebbieJ said:
not everything is an hour earlier.

We eat dinner at 6 p.m.
The news is on at 10 p.m. and then we go to bed, so we don't stay up as late as you guys :)

10:00 news is all the rage right now here in our Eastern Time Zone!

I've wondered about the Pacific time zone too. I live in Louisiana, central time zone. School usually starts around 7:30 and ends 2:30-3. My family usually eats dinner around 6. I can't speak for everyone else but that's just us!:)

ChefDella said:
yes school does start around 7 and gets out around 2ish, as far as dinner goes, alot of people usually don't get to eat until around 6 or so our time, due to working and all.
That's cruel. ;)Life is pretty much the same around here as it is way out east. There is a disctinct advantage that we have over you - we can watch the 10:00 PM shows, local news and South Park reruns, and still get to bed before midnight.

CA programming runs on the eastern time schedule, just 3 hours later. :)So the 11 p.m. news is in Los Angeles when it's 2 a.m. in New York.

ChefBeckyD said:
10:00 news is all the rage right now here in our Eastern Time Zone!
That would be the 9:00 news here, and it's heating up for competition in the independent stations. Fox doesn't run a 10/9 show, so the Fox stations started it.

ChefBeckyD said:
Actually, I've wondered that about those of you in California too......:rolleyes:
Nope, all the shows start at 8pm here too, when it's 11pm on the east coast.

So if you eat dinner at 6pm and shows start at 7pm, when do you put the kids down? I don't know what I would do with out the 7-8 hour. I would hate to miss my shows!!;)

That's why we have VCR's and Tivo.

DebbieJ said:
not everything is an hour earlier.

We eat dinner at 6 p.m.
Exactly what Deb said!

sfdavis918 said:
I have always wondered whenever I see times for shows on TV and it says 8 eastern/7 central, do you do everything an hour earlier than the rest of us? Is it just limited to TV or is it everything? Like, do you have dinner at 4:30 instead of 5:30? Does school start at 7:00 and get out at 2:00?

You eat dinner at 5:30p? We don't eat until 6:30p (or 7p or more like whenever mommy feels like making something!)

I hate the 10p news here... we get the kids in bed about 9p, then I can "work" (hahahahahaha) until 10p, completely veg and watch a show until 11p, watch the news and go to bed.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That's why we have VCR's and Tivo.
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

getting used to the time change was verry tough going from eastern to central. It took me over a year and there are still times I forget that primetime starts at 7 not 8pm, and I have been on central time now for 9 years!

sfdavis918 said:

It depends...grade school and middle school start around 8:20 and get out at 3:40, and high school starts about 6:40/7:20 and gets out shortly after 2:20 pm.

Lost of people in the cities work the early shift- 7-4, so rush hour starts around 3:45/4:15, My DH and I always work until at least 5:00 sometimes even later (we start a little later then) and we normally have dinner shortly after he gets home. His new job is only 30 minutes from home vs 1 hour and 15 minutes, so we eat around 5:45/6:00 instead of 7:00! :)

When we lived on the east coast in MD (I loved Maryland!!!) we ate later, watched the news later, but still started work at the same time...

Dinner at our house is around 7 p.m. only due to the fact I don't get out of work until 5 p.m. - get the kids and get home about 6 p.m. and THEN cook dinner.DH gets home earlier. But he RARELY cooks. He helps cook so much at camp he figures home is his time off...unless I make him grill or leave him alone with the kids, then he is on cooking duty.News is watched at 6 p.m. or at 10 p.m. If we happen to be home and there is a movie to watch not-kid-appropriate, they go in their room to play or watch a "kid" movie.

sfdavis918 said:
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Welcome to the 20th Century.

C'mon over and we can listen to tunes on my 8-track tapes.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Welcome to the 20th Century.

C'mon over and we can listen to tunes on my 8-track tapes.
Yippee! I'm there!

Schools starts here a little before 8 and gets out a few minutes after 3.

We normally eat around 6/630. I get off work at 500 and get home around 515.

Luke hates to go to bed, so, he normally goes whenever we go which is between 10/1030 - whenever the weather goes off on our local 10 o'clock news. I would have no idea what to do with my time if he went to be hours before we did.

If I ate supper at 430, I would have to eat again before I went to bed, haha!:D

I wish we did not set our clocks up or back though. I still haven't gotten use to setting them back the other weekend. I have been sleeping horribly! Of course, it could aslo be that my pregnant self cannot get comfortable for long!:eek: :D

It's not just you Jennifer, I haven't slept well since then either and I KNOW I'm not pregnant!

Do prime time shows start at 7pm? (like American Idol, etc)...If so, does the prime time hr end at 10pm instead of 11pm like mine?
I visited a friend in Hawaii about 10 yrs ago and couldn't believe football started at 7am Sunday! But, it was 1pm here when game time was...too funny!

It's all relative. We're so used to NFL games staring here at noon that we forget how early in the morning that is out west.Not to mention, MNF starting at 9 out east - how can anyone last into the 4th quarter and still get to work on Tuesday?

The one thing I just can't get used to, having lived most of my life in the central time zone and now in the eastern, is the news coming on so late. We used to always watch the tonight show and now we are rarely able to stay up that extra hour it would take. Why DO those on the East coast have everything BUT prime time start at the same time. If we are supposed to watch the news STARTING at 11 then we should get to start our day an hour later too!

I watch the morning or the 6pm news or I wouldn't have a clue what's happening in the rest of the world - well that and checking in here.

Watching morning television network news, you have only a little bit more than a clue of what's happening in the world.

Kitchen Diva said:
It depends...grade school and middle school start around 8:20 and get out at 3:40, and high school starts about 6:40/7:20 and gets out shortly after 2:20 pm...

Wow - 6:40 is way too early for school.:indif: Don't they know teenagers are not really awake yet at that time? (Not to mention their moms.) There have been studies done.

Ok, my kids are only 4 & 5, but getting them to school by 8:30 is tough. I remember high school and getting there by 8:25 was too early for me. It's a good thing most of my teachers liked me, I was usually only a few minutes late.

Getting the kids to bed by 8 does interfere with prime time TV, but that's what TiVo is for. I love the pause feature on live TV.

janetupnorth said:
It's not just you Jennifer, I haven't slept well since then either and I KNOW I'm not pregnant!

Glad to know I am not the only one, ha!!

You SURE you're not pregnant???!!!:eek:

jrstephens said:
Glad to know I am not the only one, ha!!

You SURE you're not pregnant???!!!:eek:

Yup! Sent DH in a few years back...there is a good cell phone story on that...;)

May I not be wrong...he never did get tested! :eek:

I'm holding my tongue with about 25 great one liners that are appropriate to the subject but might get all of us thrown all of here.

You must be a pretty good typer to be able to hold your tongue and type.:D

I play clarinet by ear, too.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm holding my tongue with about 25 great one liners that are appropriate to the subject but might get all of us thrown all of here.

You must have something REALLY bad 'cuz if Greg hasn't kicked us out by now, I'm not sure much else would...

im on the west coast and we have a couple of 10 oclock news channels. so i guess it depends on which day of the week you are watching your other shows whether you catch the 10 oclock news or the 11 oclock news.

i miss living in arizona where prime time starts at 7 too. it seems like now i just turn on friends or scrubs reruns until 8 oclock.

One of the nice things about being in Washington State is being able to watch Big Brother After Dark at 9:00 pm.:)

I remember when I was a PC Leadership Conference in St. Louis, many years ago, we all turned on the TV the night we got there and were suprised to find the show we wanted to watch ending. :eek:

sfdavis918 said:
Nope, all the shows start at 8pm here too, when it's 11pm on the east coast.

So if you eat dinner at 6pm and shows start at 7pm, when do you put the kids down? I don't know what I would do with out the 7-8 hour. I would hate to miss my shows!!;)

Ditto to what KG said! Our shows start at 7:00- and that's when the TiVo would kick in. Thankfully DH is home earlier these days, so we don't miss much.

(CST here) Our evening news is at 5 and 6 then shows start at 7 with the nightly news at 10. Dave starts at 10:35. Since I work at 6:30 Dave is too late to watch!

By the way when I was little and saw the 5E/6C listing on the tv, I always thought it was within our state! We lived in the central part of the state so it was always referred to as that! I didn't know any better because we didn't have relatives on the eastern part of the state.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That would be the 9:00 news here, and it's heating up for competition in the independent stations. Fox doesn't run a 10/9 show, so the Fox stations started it.

When I lived in Hawai'i in the 80s the news was on at 10...sort of. Sometimes 1005, sometimes 1010, maybe even 1015. For years after leaving Hawai'i I would set up the VCR to record a program and give it an extra 15 minutes at the end, to be sure I caught it all.

Now a news station advertises their 10 o'clock news starts at 10... at least it used to.

Robin

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
It's all relative. We're so used to NFL games staring here at noon that we forget how early in the morning that is out west.

Not to mention, MNF starting at 9 out east - how can anyone last into the 4th quarter and still get to work on Tuesday?

You can always tell the people who stayed up late to watch MNF on Tue. morning - they're the bleary-eyed people who roll in at 9am and drink a pot of coffee before 11am!! :indif:

This is going to get me on another soap box:)! Thought I would give you all a warning since I already complained about our Indiana sales tax going up.

Years ago when I was little we were in the Central Time Zone, which if you look at the line is where we should be. We would move with Daylight Savings Time every year. Yes, all of the shows were on early. When they say 8 p.m./7 central we would watch the show at 7 p.m. About 1970 most of Indiana decided they were going to stay on Daylight Savings Time year round. Meaning half the year we were on Eastern time and half the year we were on Central, but we never had to move our clocks. I LOVED it. During the summer shows would be on early, in the winter they would be on late. Last year our governor decided to move us to the Eastern time zone year round. So now our shows are late year round; however, about 2 years before the time change the local channels started tape delaying the shows so they could get an extra hour of advertising time at night.

The reason we aren't happy about this change? Our kids now get on the bus in the dark year round! My kids catch the bus at 6:45. It was just starting to get daylight and we had to spring ahead. We don't get daylight until almost 8:30!! I hate it! I'm just glad my kids aren't real little. It's hard to get your kids to bed when it stays daylight until 10:30 in the summer.

Okay - I'm off my soap box again. I hope I don't have to get back on again tonight. Although it is helping me to get this stuff off my chest:)!

Last edited:
For some reason, there are people who think that being part of the east is cooler than being part of the mid west. In the far western reaches of the eastern time zone, like Indiana or Michigan, in the Summer, the sun is up until past 10 PM.That's just stupid, because as Rhonda said, it's dark in the morning.I cannot think of one logical reason for Indiana to be on eastern time. It puts Indianapolis out of sync with Chicago, even Nashville. Apparently, it's cooler to be a cosmopolitan east coaster than a hick midwesterner.

Our governor likes to think he's moving Indiana forward! He sold our toll road to a foreign country as well!

It's just crazy!

pampchefrhondab said:
Our governor likes to think he's moving Indiana forward! He sold our toll road to a foreign country as well!

It's just crazy!
How and more importantly why would you sell a road to a foreign country? Can't they come in and tear it up, or charge uber amounts of cash in order for you to drive on it? What next? Trolls on the bridges? I'm sorry Miss, you can't go over the bridge today until you answer a stoopid riddle!

pampchefrhondab said:

It's just crazy!
Except for the stretch from Chicago to Gary, I use the Lincoln Highway.

Every time you say Lincoln Highway KG I think of that snappy little song called

Son yer gonna drive me to drinkin' if ya don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Lincoln ♪♫♪ ♪ ♫

I live in the Central time zone - I drop off my kids to school at 7:50 (school starts at 8:15 for elementary school and 8:30 for my middle schooler. The younger ones get out at 2:30 and the older one is home off the bus at 4 pm. We eat dinner between 5:30 - 6 - start taking showers after that and the kids are in bed at 8 pm on weeknights (leaves me and my husband with some quiet time as well) They do stay up until 10 pm on the weekends but hey they need their sleep - they are young! I like that tv shows end by 10 pm and I usually watch some of the news and some late night tv before heading to bed.

Kitchen Diva said:
How and more importantly why would you sell a road to a foreign country? Can't they come in and tear it up, or charge uber amounts of cash in order for you to drive on it? What next? Trolls on the bridges? I'm sorry Miss, you can't go over the bridge today until you answer a stoopid riddle!
:sing: I'm the Grumpy Old Troll, who lives under the bridge...:sing:

I found your office.
109968-M.jpg

Okay...it must be getting late in my time zone, cuz when I first glanced at the title of this thread I thought it said 'For those of you in Circus Time Zone':D

Kitchen Diva said:

He leased the Indiana Toll Road to a foreign country (can't remember who). They paid a huge sum up front and now they get all the revenue for I think 30 years. In other words it's like a loan. We got a huge chunk of money now, but won't have it in the future because it will all be spent probably w/in a year!

There is a clause in the lease if it is not maintained the state can take it back over. I don't know if there is a limit on the price they can charge. Like I said, it's crazy!

<h2>1. What does "8 eastern/7 central" mean on TV show times?</h2><p>When TV show times are listed as "8 eastern/7 central," it means that the show will air at 8 PM Eastern Time and 7 PM Central Time. This is because the United States has multiple time zones, with Eastern Time being one hour ahead of Central Time.</p><h2>2. Does everything happen an hour earlier in the Central Time Zone?</h2><p>No, not everything happens an hour earlier in the Central Time Zone. TV show times are typically the only things that are listed in both Eastern and Central Time, as it is a common practice in the TV industry. Other events and activities, such as school schedules and dinner times, are usually based on the local time in each time zone.</p><h2>3. Is the Central Time Zone limited to just TV show times?</h2><p>No, the Central Time Zone is not limited to just TV show times. It is one of the four main time zones in the United States, and it is used for a variety of purposes such as business operations, transportation schedules, and government functions.</p><h2>4. Does dinner happen an hour earlier in the Central Time Zone?</h2><p>No, dinner does not necessarily happen an hour earlier in the Central Time Zone. While some families may choose to have dinner earlier or later based on their personal preferences, the typical dinner time in the Central Time Zone is around 5:30 or 6 PM.</p><h2>5. Does school start at 7:00 and end at 2:00 in the Central Time Zone?</h2><p>No, school schedules vary depending on the location and district. In the Central Time Zone, most schools start between 7:30 and 8:30 AM and end between 2:30 and 3:30 PM. However, there may be some schools with different start and end times based on their individual schedules.</p>

Related to forThose in the Central Time Zone...i Have Always Wondered

1. What does "8 eastern/7 central" mean on TV show times?

When TV show times are listed as "8 eastern/7 central," it means that the show will air at 8 PM Eastern Time and 7 PM Central Time. This is because the United States has multiple time zones, with Eastern Time being one hour ahead of Central Time.

2. Does everything happen an hour earlier in the Central Time Zone?

No, not everything happens an hour earlier in the Central Time Zone. TV show times are typically the only things that are listed in both Eastern and Central Time, as it is a common practice in the TV industry. Other events and activities, such as school schedules and dinner times, are usually based on the local time in each time zone.

3. Is the Central Time Zone limited to just TV show times?

No, the Central Time Zone is not limited to just TV show times. It is one of the four main time zones in the United States, and it is used for a variety of purposes such as business operations, transportation schedules, and government functions.

4. Does dinner happen an hour earlier in the Central Time Zone?

No, dinner does not necessarily happen an hour earlier in the Central Time Zone. While some families may choose to have dinner earlier or later based on their personal preferences, the typical dinner time in the Central Time Zone is around 5:30 or 6 PM.

5. Does school start at 7:00 and end at 2:00 in the Central Time Zone?

No, school schedules vary depending on the location and district. In the Central Time Zone, most schools start between 7:30 and 8:30 AM and end between 2:30 and 3:30 PM. However, there may be some schools with different start and end times based on their individual schedules.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kreaser
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • Kitchen Diva