• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Forged vs. Old Knives: Exploring the Differences and Benefits

Forged Cutlery does not need to be sharpened as often as the stamped out blades. I've been told that it should only need to be sharpened once a year.
TinasKitchen
A customer asked me what the difference was between the 2.. I was a bit dumbfounded but explained how the new knives do not have self sharpening containers but do come with covers. They are very well balanced in your hand and are top of the line knives. I know I left out a ton.

What would you have said?

I have been getting that ALOT too...all I do is hand them both chefs knives and tell them to tell me the difference...works every time. Most people don't realize the value of good knives. Before the new knives came out I didn't use Pampered Chef Knives...I hated them. They wouldn't stay sharp, they didn't cut very well...and the list goes on. I had a good set of German Knives that I got in Germany that I would use...now...I am using my PC ones and I LOVE THEM! They have to try them to see/feel the benefit.

I tell people that our old knives are fine for a day-to-day cook to use, but if they want something a little more professional, then the forged cutlery is for them.

The new knives are forged, the old ones are stamped out on sheets of steel by a machine. Forged knives stay sharper longer.

This is why they are much thicker and heavier. Heavier knives seem to cut better if that makes any sense.

I've been asked the same question. I also tell them that the old knives are excellent for the average kitchen. They're also great to take along when we go camping. The new knives are higher quality and the better choice for people who do a lot of cutting and chopping--people who are either already accomplished in the kitchen or are trying to become that.I like the idea of handing one of each the person who asked. I do that with the cookware, since I get the same question for that. Actually, my answers to that question are generally the same as the one about the knives.

One important thing to remember - when someone says, "I could never use those because they are so sharp I would cut myself," you have to reply IMMEDIATELY that people cut themselves with DULL knives because they have to work too hard too hard to use them. A sharp knife does the cutting so you don't have to work as hard, therefore, a sharper knife is much safer.(People cut themselves with newly sharpened knives because they're so used to having to force the previoulsy dull knives that they work too hard and slip with the super-sharp blade. That alone is reason enough to keep cutlery sharp!)It's just true. Same is true in the workshop when it comes to saws, planes and jointers. Ask any carpenter about sharps.You also have to stress that the case of the old knives is for HONING the blade, not sharpening it. The new cutlery has a hone available on October 1 and will, occaisionally, need to be honed. You do not want to sharpen the new cutlery more than once a year, and then, have the sharpening done by a professional sharpening shop.Why use TPC hone? The angle of the cutting edge of the blade on the new cutlery is specificly set. If you mess with the angle of the cutting edge, you'll ruin it. TPC's hone is set to the angle of the cutting edge. NEVER use a whetstone or another brand hone on the new cutlery, or you'll ruin your edge.

the case of the old knives is for HONING the blade, not sharpening it.

I thought that it was to sharpen the blade?? I've been telling people for 2 years, when you push down on the black button to sharpen it! :rolleyes:

I don't think the average user knows the difference anyway.

I said the same thing.. it is a self sharpening case. I do prefer our new forged over the old. And I do always say at any show, even before the cutlery that dull knives are unsafe in the kitchen.

I was on the bus when this customer asked me, so I couldnt hand her the knife but I will do so at the show.
Thanks!

I was WRONG and I humbly ask your forgiveness
letscook04 said:
the case of the old knives is for HONING the blade, not sharpening it.

I thought that it was to sharpen the blade?? I've been telling people for 2 years, when you push down on the black button to sharpen it! :rolleyes:

I just had a nice chat with my contact in the Test Kitchen at HO.

I was wrong.

The case that comes with the older stainless steel knives is, in fact, for sharpening the blades and not just for honing the blades.

However, you must also stress to your customers that the NEW cutlery should NOT be sharpened more than once a year and then only by a professional sharpener. It would be a great investment to own the honing tool, available now, to keep the edge sharp on the blades and ensure the investment the customer is making in these excellent blades.

The new blades will hold their edge but need an occaisional honing to remove burrs and microscopic chips that are a result of everyday use.

Related to Forged vs. Old Knives: Exploring the Differences and Benefits

1. What is the main difference between forged and old knives?

The main difference between forged and old knives is the manufacturing process. Forged knives are made by heating a single piece of steel and then shaping it into a blade using a hammer or press. Old knives, on the other hand, are made by stamping out the blade shape from a sheet of steel.

2. Which type of knife is typically more expensive?

Forged knives are usually more expensive than old knives. This is because the forging process requires more labor and skill, and the resulting knives are often stronger and more durable.

3. Are forged knives better than old knives?

It depends on the individual's needs and preferences. Forged knives are known for their strength, durability, and balance, making them a popular choice among professional chefs. Old knives may not be as strong, but they are often more affordable and still suitable for everyday use in the kitchen.

4. How can I tell if a knife is forged or old?

One way to tell the difference is by examining the blade. Forged knives usually have a visible grain pattern on the blade, while old knives have a smooth and consistent appearance. You can also look for a bolster, which is a thick piece of metal between the blade and handle, as this is a common feature in forged knives.

5. Do forged knives require special care?

Yes, forged knives require more care and maintenance compared to old knives. They should be hand-washed and dried immediately after use to prevent rusting and staining. It is also recommended to regularly sharpen and hone forged knives to maintain their sharpness and performance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • DebPC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • PampMomof3