• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fashion Tips for Job Interview: Affordable Outfit Ideas for Men

In summary, John is preparing for his first job interview in 17 years and does not have the money to buy a good suit. He has a nice pair of navy slacks, a light blue button down shirt, a black microfiber casual jacket and somewhere a blue and black and white tie. He is worried about whether this ensemble will be enough, but is hopeful that he will do well. If it is an executive position, he will probably be fine with the clothes he described, but if it is not, he might want to buy a jacket. The rest of the ensemble sounds great to him.
pampered1224
Silver Member
I have my first job interview in 17 years tomorrow and I do not have the money to buy a good suit. I have a nice pair of navy slacks, a light blue button down shirt, a black microfiber casual jacket and somewhere a tie that is blue and black and white I think. Will this work do you think or should I find a different jacket? I have to see if Pat has one or maybe I can hit Goodwill today. Or because it is summer, do I even need one?

John, first--good luck. You'll do great.
Second, here in Tucson, if you were applying where I work (medical imaging/IT) you would probably be okay with the clothes you described.
--but that's not true everywhere or every job.
I've always been told to dress a little better than you think the people are when they come to work. And, I'm sure you know, be sure everything is clean and pressed.
I hope you have a great interview, knock their socks off, and they offer you a fun job at better pay than you expect!Marghi

John,

Unless it's an executive position, you will probably be great with your navy slacks, blue dress shirt and tie. Don't sweat it. Good Luck!!!!

Thanks Marghi. I have butterflies so big it hurts! But I do well under pressure and I guess I need to go into it thinking I will be great! I know my stuff. I just need to translate it from my brain to my mouth and that is the hard part! I also have to remember that they already know I have not worked in 6 and half months so they know money is tight. And I already know they saw something they liked or they would not have called me to come in. So...

Don't buy something that you won't wear again. I have done that so many times for interviews, and even if I do get the job, I resent the outfit. The last one I went on, I went and bought a beautiful long, short sleeve sweater that I wore with my black slacks. I love the sweater and it even looks great with jeans. It is one of my faves now, just not in the summer.

What you described sounds prefect, especially in the summer. Maybe carry the jacket in case everyone is wearing one but I bet they won't be. Things are a bit more casual in the workplace now. DH always wore a suit in his job until the last several years. Now he never does.

John, if you have the nerve (which I say, because I probably wouldn't), call the receptionist, or someone in the department for which you're applying, and ask them about the dress code. If it's Casual Friday every day, then you definitely won't need the jacket. If, however, everyone is expected to wear suits every day, then you might be better off going to Goodwill for a jacket or blazer. The rest of the ensemble sounds great to me.

Sending up prayers that this is the right job/position for you! And, that when they make the offer, they are willing to wait until 7/19 for you to start, so there is no conflict with NC!!

you'll knock their socks off John...

Go, John! You'll do GREAT!!

Good luck, John. I'll say extra prayers for you tonight. And...we still need to meet up - I still have all the PC stuff for you!

Thank you everyone! You all make me feel so much better. I will keep you all posted!! And I have no intention of starting before the 19th!

Good luck, John!In my experience (I'm an HR Manager), you do not need the jacket unless it is for an executive position. Most companies tend to have a "business casual" dress code these days. If that's the case, you could even wear dress/dockers-type pants and a nice polo shirt to your interview and it would be just fine, too. Make sure your clothes are neat, clean and pressed. And shine your shoes, too. If you don't have shoe shine, use a little furniture polish on a paper towel and that will clean them up nicely.Also, I think you should know that a lot of big companies now have structured interviews to include situational based questions. These usually start with the phrase "tell me about a time" or "think of a situation when" followed by a brief scenario. In my workplace, it's all about customer service and sales. Usually, you score better on these types of questions if you can come up with a specific example. Don't forget, you can use your experiences with owning your own business, too! Other tips: Try not to fidget. Don't chew gum at the interview. Offer a firm handshake and look the interviewer in the eye.Feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected] if you have any questions. I hope I haven't been too presumptuous in my advice, but I do a LOT of interviews and I just want you to have a step up for this one. Hope it helps!

Barb, you're awesome!!John, what time is the interview?

Hey John,

I just wanted to follow up with the business casual statements above.

A very good friend of mine is in sales and he recently changed companies (in January). He was used to wearing dress shirt and tie everyday and his bosses at the new company told him to loose the button up shirt and burn his ties! They wanted him to feel more relaxed and comfortable and felt that the customers he was servicing would appreciate him more as well. He is now Dockers/khakis and polo/golf shirts everyday.

The outfit that you have sounds fine for your interview. Go get 'em! Good luck...

I hope I'm not too late to wish you the best. As we say in theatre, "Break a Leg!" Or perhaps as we say in the Pampered Chef Biz "Break a DCB!"

Karen said:
He is now Dockers/khakis and polo/golf shirts everyday.

I realize that I live in the California desert, 8 miles out of Palm Springs, but hell, even the manager of my bank dresses that way.

John,It sounds very professional wear. Go for it! Good luck on your interview. Keep us posted.

Not yet Linda! The interview is today at noon CDT. I am doing laundry as I type and drinking way too much coffee, getting my directions in order. How do you tell a company that they goofed it up and left out a step? I am actually quite good about this. The butterflies are there but they have shrunk. It is 8:20 a.m. here. So I have some time. I should be home around 3:30 or so. They told me it would be about an hour to an hour and a half interview so I am curious about that. I think it may be that they will take me through the factory and such. And I totally agree that they are probably a Polo and Dockers company. I have not entered a computer room where anyone is in a shirt and tie for well over a decade! But gotta make a good impression. I got my hair cut two days ago. I lost 10 pounds in that process as I could not afford one since January! Luckily for me, my last host cuts hair, heard my plight and offered a major discount to me. I gave her $5 and and a package of Twixit! Clips. She loved it! My only real concern here is hiding my leg brace. I am so afraid that it might make a difference what with all the new restrictions that companies have about offering insurance. But I have that covered too as I can keep the insurance I have through Pat's company. And all the good things, the drug and alcohol testing and such I got it covered too as I do not do either! So no worries there. I guess by looking at all the typing that I am not as calm as I seem! Oh well, I will live no matter what. And if I do not get the job, this makes great practice. Well, I better get the clothes in the dryer and get ready. You all take care and big hugs for all the support! And no broken DCBs! There are not enough of them to do that!

John good luck.

Well??????????

Sorry I got caught up in my rummage sale! I think I did OK. I felt like a total mess compared to the two other applicants that came in with me. However, in my defense, I think I did good with the personal interview. The lady who did this told me that they would notify my one way or the other sometime next week, they have about 50 total applicants! So apparently I will want to have my phone charged! Now I am completely ready for tomorrows and that at least is only 15 minutes from home and not an hour and 15 minutes! and again thank you all for the support!

John, I am sure you weren't a mess at all, and I'm also sure the interviewer can recognize that quality means more than packaging. It is so hard to be looking for work right now, we just laid off 5 people today, for he first time n the company's 65 year history. However you have experience on your side, and you rock (if you don't know that, we'll tell you!) Keep your head up and your eyes on the prize. I wish you all luck tomorrow and as someone who has a long commute, I hope the short commute one turns out to be a great opportunity for you!Marghi

Thank Marghi - I am leaving all that in someone Else's hands though. I am just gonna do the leg work and leave the rest up to some else. The company I applied to yesterday is moving their corporate office about 25 miles north into Wisconsin so that actually takes the 1 hour and 15 minutes ride down to about 45. I can handle that. I will get the job I am supposed to get. I also have to take into account that a computer job might not be in the cards. What with NC coinciding with this so called disaster with my money, it may be that this is my time to finally shine in PC as well. Only one being knows that for sure! My Aunt taught me a long time ago to "Let go and let God." So I am.

John, I will pray for God to show you the path He intends you to take. I also want you to know you have truly blessed me this morning. Can't wait to see you on Monday!

Related to Fashion Tips for Job Interview: Affordable Outfit Ideas for Men

What is "Help! Fashion Challenged"?

"Help! Fashion Challenged" is a series of cooking and fashion workshops offered by Pampered Chef to help individuals improve their cooking skills and personal style.

Who can attend these workshops?

Anyone can attend these workshops, regardless of their cooking or fashion experience. They are designed for individuals who want to improve their skills and learn new techniques.

What can I expect to learn from these workshops?

During these workshops, you will learn cooking tips and tricks from our experienced consultants, as well as fashion advice and styling tips from our fashion experts. You will also have the opportunity to try out our products and learn how to use them effectively in the kitchen.

Do I need to bring anything with me to the workshops?

No, you do not need to bring anything with you. All cooking ingredients and materials will be provided, and there will be a selection of fashion items available for you to try on and style during the workshop.

How can I sign up for "Help! Fashion Challenged" workshops?

You can sign up for these workshops by contacting your local Pampered Chef consultant or visiting our website. Availability may vary, so we recommend booking in advance to secure your spot.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefann
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Melissa78
  • chef2you