• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Effective Methods for Keeping Deer Away from Your Garden

In summary, the author suggests two methods for repelling deer from gardens: spraying them with a repellent or scattering hair around the garden. The author also suggests using coyote urine as a repellent.
rennea
Gold Member
Ok all you gardners out there I have a problem. DEER!!! I love animals and think that the deer are beautiful I just want them to leave my apple tree alone. Does anybody have any good methods on keeping deer away?

I watched one come into the yard and head for my trees, I went out onto the porch to scare her away and she just went into the bush and waited for me to go inside. There are a ton of them around this year and they seem way to brave. The other day I was in one of my flower beds and looked up and there was a dear about 8 feet away just looking at me:eek:

Rennea,

I don't hold out much hope for you keeping the deer out of your tree but I do have an idea for you to try (this is what my parents did in their garden and they had many a 4-footed bambi relative at their place). Go to where you get your hair cut and ask if they'll save you some bags of hair. Then, sprinkle it around your garden. I don't know if it will work on your tree or not but it did work on their garden.

Good luck. As you already know, deer get very brazen. It's kind of fun to see them go on their bag legs to eat the fruit out of the tree.

Be careful! My brother-in-law was attacked by one he was trying to shoo! Around here people have resorted to only planting deer resistant plants. My sister has put up a 10-foot fence to keep them out of her place. We have wild turkeys that tear up our garden. I h-a-t-e them ! You work so hard to have a nice garden and then the varmints come and tear it up in 10 minutes! I would like to see them lined up for Thanksgiving!!

I agree with the hair, and/or putting wire loosely around the trunk if they are eating the bark. Foil pie pans hanging from the branches if they are after the fruit
I think there is also a spray you can get

We just had a woman here last week that was attacked by a deer, the bimbo went up to feed it! My porch is high off the ground, but it's when I'm out in the yard and you turn around and they are RIGHT THERE!!!

We have tied a bar of soap in the tree read on the net that they don't like the smell of soap. Also read about the hair thing but that kind of creeps me out!

I have heard that coyote urine is supposed to work - you can probably find it at a garden center -

We have deer near our beach house and those who don't want them near their plants or property put up wire fences as well - did you try googling it?

This has a guarantee attached to the product. All natural, bio-degradable. http://www.deerscram.com/what_is_deerscram.aspWe were at friends over the weekend. They have pieced out their property to have a 'deer friendly' section with the agreement that they provide for the deer and they deer leave the garden (and the roads) alone... not that the deer understand of course but she's got beautiful gardens, fenced with only 4 foot fences (wood and mesh wire) and while we were there, were visited by 4 deer (2 adult and their spotted fawn and then a juvenile alone) and they kept to their part of the yard.

1. How can I keep deer away from my garden without using harmful chemicals?

There are several effective methods for keeping deer away from your garden without using harmful chemicals. Some options include using natural deer repellents such as human or animal hair, planting deer-resistant plants, and installing fencing or netting around your garden.

2. What are some plants that deer tend to avoid?

Some plants that deer tend to avoid include daffodils, lavender, rosemary, marigolds, and yarrow. However, it's important to note that deer may still eat these plants if they are very hungry or if there is a lack of other food sources available.

3. Will motion-activated sprinklers effectively deter deer?

Yes, motion-activated sprinklers can be an effective method for keeping deer away from your garden. When a deer approaches, the sprinkler will turn on and spray the deer with water, scaring them away. This method is safe and humane for both the deer and your garden.

4. How often should I apply deer repellent to my garden?

The frequency of applying deer repellent will depend on the specific product you are using. Some repellents need to be reapplied every few weeks, while others may last for several months. Be sure to read the instructions on the product label for the recommended application frequency.

5. Is it necessary to use multiple methods to keep deer away from my garden?

In most cases, using multiple methods in combination will be the most effective way to keep deer away from your garden. For example, combining fencing with natural repellents and motion-activated sprinklers will create multiple barriers for the deer to overcome, making it less likely for them to enter your garden.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
StacieB
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
  • katie0128
  • General Chat
Replies