• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do Not Like Mini-Cheeseburgers...am I the Only One?

I'll make it again, but I'm going to use bacon grease in the fryer instead of using butter.The recipe was great! I used 93% lean ground beef (it tends to be a bit dry when I make ground beef at home), fresh parsley, minced onion, and garlic powder. The burgers turned out great! I didn't want to eat them all myself, so I made 2 patties per person just to be safe. My husband says they were very good!
jrstephens
I made these last weekend. Luke would not try them at all. Me and Russell did not like them.

They tasted bland. I had even added some A1 like I do in our regular burgers but not as much b/c I did not want to change it up too much. I wanted to see how it was "as is."

My meat shrunk to half the size and had tons of juice to drain. I know less fattier meat would stop or help with this. But u never know what a host will buy, normally whatever is on sale. And I would not want ot have to lift that bar pan and drain it at a show. I can jsut see myself spilling the fat all over a kitchen floor!!!!

Either I heated my buns too long or not enough b/c they were hard not warm and soft like I thought they would be.

My DH tried the recipe. He didn't read all the way through before starting, and didn't realize the meat would go back in the oven with the buns, so he cooked it longer during the first part than the recipe calls for to get the meat cooked through.

I also thought the burgers tasted bland. And we also used a fattier meat, so it shrunk a lot. I only got 16 mini burgers out of the batch.

I made these last weekend and my DH and our visiting friends loved them. I was surprised by the amount of "liquid" that was in the pan after cooking; two points: I used 93/7 lean ground beef and I used a Vidalia onion. I also used fresh parsley and not the dried. Both of these have high water content so I think most of what I poured out was not "grease". NEVERTHELESS, IF I ever make these for a show, I will get everything done before guests arrive up to the point of covering with the foil. Then I can pop them in the oven for a few more minutes right before serving. Like someone else said in an earlier post, serve with yellow mustard on the side for dipping or spreading. If you like Krystals or White Castles, these are the bomb!!​

I'm wondering...What if for part of the liquid problem...place a layer of parchment in the bottom of the bar pan to soak up the liquid?

It works for soaking up grease when I do bacon in the bar pan.

I noticed that when I poured off the TON of juice...once it cooled it was not a lot of grease. It was just juice. Still don't know why so much juice came off to begin with.

But..I liked the taste of them (thought I must have used too big cloves of garlic cuz they were a bit too garlicy) and DH really enjoyed them.

I would NOT, however, do them as a demo just cuz of the potential to dump hot juice/grease at a show and because of how gross they looked when I first pulled them out of the oven.

Has anyone tried it with Turkey ground beef?

I made them last weekend and the family liked them. I thought they were a little bland. As for the excess juice problem, I'm thinking it's because the meat is covered the whole time and that traps all the moisture in. I may try without covering next time and see how that goes.

I made these and the kids loved them. I used dried parsley and minced onion though (I hadn't made it to the store for fresh yet). I used 93% lean which is the leanest I can get where I shop, and it shrunk pretty good. Lots of juice too, and I accidentally dumped the whole thing off the stone while I was trying to drain it :eek: . Luckily I was able to salvage it and still got 24 burgers, but I wouldn't attempt them as a demo, I'm just not coordinated enough. lol. I will definitely make them again for get togethers at my house. ;)

I agree, I would not make these at a show for a demo. There was a lot of juice, and they shrunk a ton, but I still got 24 burgers out of them. They were quite bland, but tasted lots better with some ketchup or barbecue sauce. I would even add tomatoes and lettuce if I were to serve them at a party. They are quite good with all the condiments added.

I am making them again tonight, my family loves them. I am trying them with ground turkey this time, I'll let you know.
I added extra seasonings to my ground beef though and it wasn't bland.

Just thinking...Use the turkey baster to remove some of the juice/fat. However, I wouldn't use this as a show recipe, chance of spillage too great.

Not all ground beef is equal, even if the fat content is labeled the same.
In the "olden days" I was a meatcutter. Some places use frozen boneless imported beef to make their ground beef. While the "fat content" may be extremely low it may also contain lots of moisture. We used to use Australian boneless beef to make our ground beef and it was considered 98% lean. The problem with that lean of meat sometimes is that it has a high water content which is not noticeable until you start cooking it.
So a lot of what you may be seeing in the pan could be exessive moisture and not necessarily fat.

I agree it it is not something I would make at a show, but would do at home or if having friends over. We had neighbors over for dinner and they loved them. The kids called them crabby patties :) Mine shrunk more this time than last time, must have used a different fat content of ground beef

I made them last night for my family and a neighbor... Everyone said they liked 'em, I personally think it was WAY too much onion and I only put in half of what was called for, I dont like onions but dont mind them when cooked into food but I could bite into the onions in the burgers. These would be ok for a show if they are made in advance, I almost lost the meat when draining off the juices so that could be disasterous.

made them Sat. for my twins birthday party...kids loved them. I used 80-20 burger and they worked fine. I made them last week with 90/10 and seemed dry and a little bland. I think they had more flavor with the 80/20 and had about the same amount of liquid. Got 24 each time. I put ketchup, mayo and mustard in the 3 sectioned new SA bowl. Looked sooo cute. I put the relish on the side instead of pickles and this was good with them.

when I made them, I puraed (not sure of spelling) an onion instead of chopping it. THat way, it was microscopic and dh wouldn't know he was eatting an onion. I think the onion being all mixed in with the onion juices made it taste yummy.

tabnat80 said:
I puraed (not sure of spelling)

puréed (it's French) ;)

--Your resident French teacher

tabnat80 said:
when I made them, I puraed (not sure of spelling) an onion instead of chopping it. THat way, it was microscopic and dh wouldn't know he was eatting an onion. I think the onion being all mixed in with the onion juices made it taste yummy.

You could also grate the onion into the meat using the mandoline with the grater blade ....the onion also makes the burgers juicy - so that may be part of the "pour off" as well.

letscook04 said:
Has anyone tried it with Turkey ground beef?

We had these at our cluster meeting and the consultant made them with ground turkey. I thought they were very good for a quick/easy treat! I believe she had a sweet onion, fresh parsley and the garlic. She said there was not really any grease/juices either! I always use ground turkey or ground round (sometimes ground sirloin) when things call for hamburger to control "grease" but have not personally tried this yet. I am looking forward to doing these though. :thumbup:

armywyf said:
I made them last night for my family and a neighbor... Everyone said they liked 'em, I personally think it was WAY too much onion and I only put in half of what was called for, I dont like onions but dont mind them when cooked into food but I could bite into the onions in the burgers. These would be ok for a show if they are made in advance, I almost lost the meat when draining off the juices so that could be disasterous.

Can you use paper towels, or use the turkey baster to soak up the grease?

I made them last night, I also thought they were bland. I am doing them at a wine tasting on thursday. Does anyone think they would be yuck if they were not warm? I am worried about it.

rwispampered said:
I made them last night, I also thought they were bland. I am doing them at a wine tasting on thursday. Does anyone think they would be yuck if they were not warm? I am worried about it.

I put mine in the microwave the next day for just a few seconds to get the cold off then. They were not piping out like right out of the ovem, but warm enough to not taste call and they were fine. I thought they tasted a little better the next day.

Ok, Thank You!! I think they need a little more seasoning just don't know what to add.

I didn't care for them, but I think my kids would like them. I only like the flavor of grilled burgers.

So, I decided to add a little extra to the cheeseburgers. I added 1 tbsp of our Chipotle rub much better!!

at our last cluster meeting we made these.. we used turkey burger.. they turned out great. vary little grease and little shrinkage..

I think I mentioned this in another post about these, but the look of them just grosses me out.

They remind me of White Castle burgers and also the burgers from hgih school. I like my burgers grilled, not baked! :yuck:

I don't even know if I can bring myself to test them out.

oh man - after reading THIS thread I AM SOOO NOT EXCITED TO TRY THESE! I wasn't thrilled with the picture of them on CC - i thought they looked kinda gross - lol!

stefani2 said:
oh man - after reading THIS thread I AM SOOO NOT EXCITED TO TRY THESE! I wasn't thrilled with the picture of them on CC - i thought they looked kinda gross - lol!

I liked them. I haven't made them myself - just tried them at our Kickoff, but I thought they were pretty good, and I could see where they would be a big hit with guys, or with a group of kids. I think it would be fun to do them, and then have a burger bar so that people could build them the way they like them.

i just think they would be bland with so few ingredients. but i guess i should TRY them THEN form my opinion :)

stefani2 said:
i just think they would be bland with so few ingredients. but i guess i should TRY them THEN form my opinion :)

or u could just assume my opinion of them being bland is right !:D

I made them yesterday for the family and they were a big hit! However, I don't think it would be a good demo recipe because there is a lot of fat to drain off and it does "look" bad but when you put it all together it rocks! Oh, I doubled the garlic and it was tasty!

I used some of the italian seasoning and some pressed garlic. YUMMMO!!!

I thought these were really good. If any of you are familiar with White Castle, these taste totally like Sliders.I will definitely make these again.

I'm making these tonight for dinner. All I can say is, it looks like a lot more trouble than regular cheeseburgers!
I'm just wanting to try the cute "mini" of it all.

Thanks for the turkey baster tip!

I'm so glad I saw this thread and I'm not the only one who's not crazy about them. I tried this recipe and I used turkey meat. It shrunk and the juices were up to the top of the bar pan. I was afraid that I wouls spill it when taking the bar pan out of the oven. I would not make this recipe at a show.

not sure that they'd be good with a wine tasting.
they were ok, I used the crushed peppercorn rub and red onion. next time i might use ground bison
wouldn't offer it as a show recipe

Wow, this is a dangerous recipe, trying to even lift that shallow bar pan out of the oven with the hot juices so close to the top of the edge of it. I almost burned myself and spilled it.

I 'm a natural klutz, so I knew not to even try draining it. The turkey baster idea worked great - thanks again!

There was too much clean up for just tasting like regular cheeseburgers, too. Cutting the buns on a cutting board, cleaning the bar pan, chopper, garlic press, all of it....I'll take cheeseburgers on the grill any day.

I don't think I'll do them for a show; but made them for my dd's birthday yesterday & everyone loved them. I let the pan sit for a few minutes before dumping the juices. The baster would be a good idea.

YUCK, I hated them, we made them last week.

Not my favorite. I am not a big burger fan and I love onions but I am getting to that "wonderful" age where some foods don't like me!!!

They are not for me and I am not offering them as a demo. Frankly, other than the sweet things I have tried I am not finding as many recipes in this SB as I did the summer one that I like.

We made them at my cluster meeting, and I've made them once at home for dinner. I have to say that I absolutely love them! I was a little surprised at how much liquid there was in the pan when I took them out of the oven. I just poured it in the batter bowl and continued with the recipe. I agree that the meat doesn't look all that great when it comes out of the oven, but I think the finished product is worth it. My BF and I absolutely LOVE Krystal, and I've been advertising these as a healthier way to make Krystals at home. They taste just like them to me, and you're controlling what you're putting in the food. I've had several people interested in the new SB just for this recipe.

If I made them, I would only use turkey. Less fat and less liquid. Can't you just serve them with sliced tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and pickles? I'd also add a little PC seasoning mix to the meat. I might just have to make these. I think this is the type of recipe that you have to "play" with to make it just right.

1. Why didn't my family like the mini cheeseburgers I made with Pampered Chef products?

It's understandable that your family may not have enjoyed the mini cheeseburgers you made. Every person's taste preferences are different and it's okay if these particular burgers didn't appeal to them.

2. How can I add more flavor to my mini cheeseburgers?

Adding A1 sauce is a great idea to enhance the flavor of your burgers. Another option could be adding different spices or toppings, such as caramelized onions, bacon, or different types of cheese.

3. Why did my meat shrink and produce a lot of juice?

This could be due to using a fattier cut of meat. As you mentioned, using leaner meat can help with this issue. However, if you're using a host's meat, it may be best to drain the excess juice before serving.

4. Is there a way to avoid having to drain the fat from the meat while using the Pampered Chef bar pan?

We understand that it can be difficult to drain the fat while using the bar pan at a show. One solution could be using a leaner cut of meat as mentioned before. Another option could be using a separate pan to cook the meat and then transferring it to the bar pan for assembly and serving.

5. How can I ensure that the buns for my mini cheeseburgers are warm and soft?

It's important to keep an eye on the buns while heating them. It's best to heat them for a shorter amount of time and check if they're warm and soft, rather than heating them for too long which can result in them becoming hard. You can also try lightly brushing them with butter or oil before heating to help keep them soft.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
starrmarie
  • jrstephens