• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dishwasher Safe Vs Non...growing Trend??

In summary, many of the company's products are not dishwasher safe, which may be to the detriment of the customer.
esavvymom
Staff member
Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing how so many of our products seem to go the "not dishwasher safe" route.

The company promotes "29 minutes or less" to get dinner on the table, but that's because you'll spend an hour washing dishes! LOL Maybe they know that most people WON'T read or will not follow the washing instructions and will put them in the dishwasher (like most products that ARE DW safe), and then it voids their warranty. Lucky for PC?

Just thinking out loud, but I got a few of my samples- the metal 13x9 and pie plate, a bamboo bowl (which I know is not DW safe).....but the pans?? Not that I personally would use the DW, but most people I know who own a DW (especially those from my parent's generation who HATES washing dishes by hand) - everything goes into the DW.

I was just thinking last night that I would love to throw my cookware in the DW. I think I have 5 dirty pans right now.

I don't know, I don't put anything but actual dishes in mine anyway. I always wash my cookware, even my stainless, by hand, it only takes less than 5 min and that saves the room in the DW. Better than putting a few pots and pans in and having it run for over a half hour for something I could have done in a few short minutes.

Just had a host who wants SS cookware - because it can go in the dishwasher. At her show, it was a big discussion about the dishwasher. The consensus seemed to be that if it couldn't go in the dishwasher, then they didn't want it.

ChefBeckyD said:
Just had a host who wants SS cookware - because it can go in the dishwasher. At her show, it was a big discussion about the dishwasher. The consensus seemed to be that if it couldn't go in the dishwasher, then they didn't want it.

Reminds me of when we were breaking into the "permanent press" world--not that I'm that old...LOL.

ChefBeckyD said:

That's what I was thinking might be the feeling. People want convenience- not only in COOKING the food, but ESPECIALLY in the cleanup. (I'd rather convenience in the clean-up, too. I don't mind the cooking- within reason.)

I'm like Steph- I don't put the big stuff in the DW, and don't really have an issue with it- but just seemed it WOULD be for customers. I like to save the space in my DW for the small-annoying stuff to wash, (cups, plates, etc)....and can wash the big items usually in just 5-10 minutes while the food cooks or as the kids clear the table. BUT...I'm weird. ;)

After opening my new stuff and seeing that the pie plate and the 13x9 were NOT dishwasher safe, it kind of surprised me.

I wish everything was DW safe, but I like the stoneware because it's so easy to clean. I don't feel the desire to put them in the dishwasher. If you put any other kind of pan in the dw, you pretty much have to scrub and/or soak it beforehand. I really appreciate the Stainless cookware going in the DW, but much of the time after it's out of the DW, I still have to shine it up with the stainless cleaner. Stoneware all the way!

I come from the generation who washed everything by hand - my parents had no dishwasher in their home till I got married. I just purchased my first dishwasher and love it - when I come home from shows - I put in only certain items and still wash a few of them by hand.

That being said - I can't imagine wanting to put EVERYTHING in the dishwasher - it gets pretty hot in there and can ruin some products. I like it that my cookware looks like it did the day I bought it and that all of my bamboo products look like new today. It always makes me shake my head when people ask this question at the show.

The few things that I do wash only takes me another 10 minutes at best to wash the other items up. So what is so hard about it - just wash them. I call it my after dinner therapy and do my best thinking then and the kitchen looks so clean but my best tools are also just beautiful. The cookware takes a second to wash out - there is no scrubbing AT ALL and I love that about our cookware - even the SS cookware - mines looks as beautiful as the day I purchased it. After I use it on the stove - I put a little water in it which releases the item in the pan - by the time I have the dishwasher loaded - I then rinse it out - put a little bar keepers friend in the bottom if I cooked meat items in the pan and wash it out - shines it right up like brand new.

Just my two cents but how lazy have we become if we want TOTAL convenience with every single solitary thing we do. I still shake my head at my shows - but whatever floats their boat is my thought. Everyone has a different philosophy - but I don't worry about it anymore after 11 years in this business - people are people and they aren't satisfied no matter what - I don't focus on their issue with dishwashers anymore. I've even taught my grown children this with some of their products and they thanked me because their items still look so awesome too.

Susan M said:
I come from the generation who washed everything by hand - my parents had no dishwasher in their home till I got married. I just purchased my first dishwasher and love it - when I come home from shows - I put in only certain items and still wash a few of them by hand.

That being said - I can't imagine wanting to put EVERYTHING in the dishwasher - it gets pretty hot in there and can ruin some products. I like it that my cookware looks like it did the day I bought it and that all of my bamboo products look like new today. It always makes me shake my head when people ask this question at the show.

The few things that I do wash only takes me another 10 minutes at best to wash the other items up. So what is so hard about it - just wash them. I call it my after dinner therapy and do my best thinking then and the kitchen looks so clean but my best tools are also just beautiful. The cookware takes a second to wash out - there is no scrubbing AT ALL and I love that about our cookware - even the SS cookware - mines looks as beautiful as the day I purchased it. After I use it on the stove - I put a little water in it which releases the item in the pan - by the time I have the dishwasher loaded - I then rinse it out - put a little bar keepers friend in the bottom if I cooked meat items in the pan and wash it out - shines it right up like brand new.

Just my two cents but how lazy have we become if we want TOTAL convenience with every single solitary thing we do.
I still shake my head at my shows - but whatever floats their boat is my thought. Everyone has a different philosophy - but I don't worry about it anymore after 11 years in this business - people are people and they aren't satisfied no matter what - I don't focus on their issue with dishwashers anymore. I've even taught my grown children this with some of their products and they thanked me because their items still look so awesome too.

Wow - I would hardly call my host who wants everything to go in the dishwasher lazy. In fact, she's very hard working. She has an almost full time job, she home schools her 2 young boys, she is a leader in her church....her life is full of so much more than just handwashing her dishes.

Some of this I think is a generational thing. My MIL handwashes lots of stuff that I wouldn't. But then, her house is completely spotless and that's how my DH was raised - in a house that was always completely spotless. However, he has said more than once that he doesn't remember his mom EVER playing with him, or reading to him, or playing games....nothing like that. His mom cleaned. That's what she did.

I would choose to throw things in the dishwasher any day if it meant more time with my family, and less time in the kitchen. I believe that's where my host was coming from in saying that if it couldn't go in the dishwasher, then it didn't belong in her kitchen.

Well put, Becky. And, with so many of our items dishwasher safe, we still have plenty of things for her kitchen. I must admit that I'm a throw-it-in-the-dishwasher gal. To be perfectly honest, right now my dishwasher is full of clean dishes and I've got enough dirty dishes stacked up for a whole new load. I also have several things sitting there that need to be hand washed. I'll get to them tomorrow. Even with a dishwasher I never seem to catch up. ;)

I laugh at my mom. When I was at her house, I would take the BIG bowls/pans out of the dishwasher to wash them- so I could get the rest of the smaller things (plates, cups, etc) IN there. She said that because she grew up in a family of 5 and dishwashing was always her job, she HATES doing it. (I can attest to that...when I was still at home..that was MY chore) She loves her dishwasher and everything goes in there. even if it means she's only got 4 items in the rack...she does it anyway. :)

Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing how so many of our products seem to go the "not dishwasher safe" route.
It is not just you! If it can go in the dishwasher, I am more likely to use it. I've also noticed how many tools some of the recipes use and how long it takes to clean up. There is also a growing problem (not just PC) where a lot of stuff that is dishwasher safe, is top-rack only. Well. I only have so much room on that top rack.
Just my two cents but how lazy have we become if we want TOTAL convenience with every single solitary thing we do.
We want total convenience with menial, repetitive tasks like dishwasher-safe, wash and tumble dry, vacuuming instead of beating rugs on a line, because it's a smarter use of our time!

I hate washing dishes - so much that I seriously want two dishwashers, but there are certain things that I treasure and will handwash: cookware (even stainless), all of ours knives, bamboo pieces(all - I notced safe pieces fading) and the cool and serve(we have hard water and my dish washered plastics looks worn over time).

If this bothers you send home office and email to: [email protected] .

They really do listen to what the customers and consultants want. They aren't saying not dishwasher safe so a customer will ruin their item and get ticked at PC for life because they won't replace it. They probably are looking at costs, quality of the item (can it hold up to high temps over and over...and will it be safe to eat/serve with), weight, storage, eye appeal and more.

I've been with this company for 11+ years. I have seen amazing changes. Some consultants are devastated with the new no abuse policy. I'm not. I know our products rock. They also have hairline fractures and manufacturer defects. I'm helping my customers get what they deserve. If their stone broke in the oven(not under a broiler and used right) then I know it probably had a hairline fracture and should be replaced by the company...that's why we have a 3 year warranty. If their cookware is peeling and warped I'm going to investigate. Our Professional line had faults and the product should be replaced.
But if items fell from a moving car or were in a house fire then that is abuse and I can't get their item replaced for free. Years ago the company replaced items for guests of mine knowing those exact reasons. I want to stay in business and realise that we can't throw away money on abuse like that.

So, email PC and let them know if your guests are willing to spend a few more dollars to have a product that will stand up to the dishwasher. They really do act on what we ask.

I have solved the top-rack only problem in a simple and cheap way, I do not use the high temperature wash and I select air dry. If you do those two things, the heating element in the bottom of the dishwasher isn't used and you can put things anywhere in the dishwasher.

My tap water is plenty hot and if I am around/awake when I run the dishwasher, I generally turn it off during the drying cycle and open the door so they dishes can air dry without as many spots. Simple and "greener" (I'll admit that while it's "green," the pull for me is it's cheap).

I'm up right now at 5 am to check for ways to improve my PC business, I will go work for 8 hours, then run home to take care of my dogs and change before going to a PC show at 6:30. I hope to get home by 10:30, and then I will load up my dishwasher with my PC kit (as much as I can) and pile up the stuff I can't put in the dishwasher. Sometime on the weekend I hope to wash my PC items that couldn't go in the dishwasher (plus any items I used in my home during the week that weren't dishwasher safe that I piled up too).I do resent you calling my lazy for not wanting to buy any more crap that can't go in the dishwasher. Shake your head all you want, but not everyone has unlimited time to wash stuff by hand, or has the same priorities you do. My priorities are making enough money to survive (and hopefully thrive), maintaining relationships with friends and family, and taking care of my two wonderful dogs. Stuff like house cleaning is very low on my priority list. I can respect that it might be higher on your list, but I really resent being called "lazy" because it is not high on mine.

My time is valuable - and I don't see anything wrong with conserving it! If that means that I throw something in the DW instead of hand washing it, all the better. I'd rather spend my time doing something good with my family. I really perfer them to dishwater. That is just my priorities I guess.

1. What does "dishwasher safe" mean for Pampered Chef products?

Dishwasher safe means that the product is designed to withstand the high temperatures and harsh detergents of a dishwasher without being damaged. This includes the material, construction, and any coatings or finishes used on the product.

2. Are all Pampered Chef products dishwasher safe?

No, not all of our products are dishwasher safe. Some materials, such as wood or certain types of metal, may not be suitable for dishwasher use. It is important to always refer to the product care instructions before placing any Pampered Chef product in the dishwasher.

3. How can I tell if a Pampered Chef product is dishwasher safe?

Most of our products will have a dishwasher safe symbol on the packaging or product itself. You can also check the product care instructions or contact a Pampered Chef consultant for more information.

4. Can I still use a non-dishwasher safe product in the dishwasher?

No, it is not recommended to use a non-dishwasher safe product in the dishwasher. Doing so can damage the product and may also void any warranty or guarantee. It is always best to hand wash non-dishwasher safe products.

5. Is there a growing trend towards dishwasher safe products?

Yes, there is a growing trend towards dishwasher safe products as it provides convenience and ease of cleaning for busy households. At Pampered Chef, we strive to offer a variety of dishwasher safe products to meet the needs of our customers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chefgirl2
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
  • Addie4TLC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Addie4TLC
  • chefjeanine