• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discussion Topic - How Long Does It Take to "Build" a Business?

In summary, the author discusses that people start PC for various reasons and tenures are varied. Often, newer consultants have unrealistic expectations of their business without putting in the work. Older consultants often put in the work, but not getting the results they expect. The author has recently had a former consultant call him asking for a show. He brushed it off and moved on. The author has been a consultant for 2 1/2 years and does not feel that his business has taken off yet, but he does believe in the 90-day rule and is content with where he is. The author has one recruit and feels a sense of obligation to his director to make sure he qualifies for payments.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
I thought I'd bring this topic up for discussion for some more of the "long-term" consultants to comment to encourage the newer ones.

People start PC for various reasons and tenures are varied. Often I see newer consultants with unrealistic expectations of their business without the work put in. Or good consultants putting in the work, but not getting results like they expected. You get it...expectations or results not matching wherever they may be on the spectrum good or bad.

Basically, any direct sales job is that, a job. It takes work to achieve results and often you will have ups and downs. I recently just had a former consultant who I've only talked to about PC "forget" that I was a consultant (granted, we've had at least 4-5 conversations about PC since the beginning of the year and two were if she ever wanted to be a consultant again...) and sign with someone else in town. I've talked with her...she is busy like me...she did truly forget and feels bad (her words were that she felt like a schlep). Anyway, I brushed it off and moved on and offered her any help she may need in the future. It happens! Nothing I could have really done to change that except be there at that moment and I was at Conference! Well, yesterday I had a host from 2 years ago randomly call and ask for a November show. So, there is a positive in the negative.

However, those stories don't "magically" happen 2 weeks into your business. If they do, consider yourself lucky...

So, long term consultants...when did you feel you really "took off" with PC, or built a good "base" of contacts. What were some of your struggles and down times (to show others those with success have them too) and what are some of your neat random stories about finding business.

Oh, for me it is almost 3 years and I STILL feel like I'm building for the future...

I've been a consultant for 3 years, but I don't feel like my business has "taken off" yet. Mostly, that's my own fault. I have not been good at doing the work that I need to be doing, and I know it. I was working my business at a hobby level for the last three years, averaging about a show a month.

After conference, I made a commitment to do my calls every day. I've faltered in the last week or so, having a day here and a day there where I haven't done as well. I haven't seen humongous results yet, but I believe in the 90-day rule (what you do in your business today will affect it 90 days from now).

I did recently have a consultant sign with me. I'm very excited for her, and I think she'll do great. It's a great motivator for me: I can't expect her to do something I'm not doing myself.

I feel very similar to NooraK.
I've been a consultant for 2 1/2 years. I do not really feel that my business has "taken off", but I also KNOW that it is 100% me. I do not complain about this, in fact, I think I would be extremely overwhelmed to do one show a week. I think the goal I have for myself is to average 2-3 shows a month and I pretty much do that on a regular basis.

I started this as a hobby and because I love and believe in the product. Things may change in the future for me where my business can "take off", but I'm content where I am right now.

Also, I do have one recruit, and I feel a sense of obligation to my director to make sure that I qualify each month so she can get paid as a director. This really works as a motivator to me to get my shows closed by the end of the month, whereas I used to not care too much if it was a few days later (unless there was an incentive!)

I look at this as being like a building a snow man.. and I'm working on the base. I know I can't start with a big ball to begin with.. but have to start with something small, the more I work it the bigger it will become. I've been doing this about 18 months now, and last year I dabbled, and didn't see much growth, this year I put a little more effort into it and I've seen it starting to grow, I was doing 3-4 shows a month, now as I give it that little more elbow grease I see it increasing, I'm now doing 4-6 shows a month. Am I working harder to get them, not really, just wearing my t-shirts and making my nightly calls.

I started my business more as a hobby. I thought it would be a good way to feed my PC habit. Fourteen months later I went to my first NC. I decided then and there to focus on my business. It took another few months for me to get into a groove. I think the most important thing about my business is momentum. I find that the more I work my business by making calls and other contacts, the more my business kind of takes care of itself. (Like the FB message I got today asking to do a show and the 3 random orders I got last week.)However, slowing down on those calls and contacts is like taking my foot off the accelerator. I'll coast for a little while, but soon I notice a distinct drag.

My business has been very fluid, based on my needs at the time. Right after our kick off, I made it a priority to get into high gear (or I will have to try to find a job). So, I've been a consultant 4 years as of June 30th! I feel like now I have a list to draw from, I've had repeat shows and I am really comfortable making calls and asking for bookings. It took me a while, but I really feel like when I treated it really seriously, it made a big change.

PS When I first told my DH's extended family in NH, someone made the remark, "Well, that's great, but at some point the well will run dry." Supportive, huh? I was thrilled to get to tell her, "Can you believe its been 4 years for me working with PC? And the economy... OMG, I am busier than ever." Her response; a shocked "Really?"

There is so much to say about this topic, especially after 8 years in the business so I was waiting around to see if someone would capture some of my experience in their comments. Rae & Anne have covered a few of the things I've gone through.
raebates said:
I think the most important thing about my business is momentum. I find that the more I work my business by making calls and other contacts, the more my business kind of takes care of itself. (Like the FB message I got today asking to do a show and the 3 random orders I got last week.)

However, slowing down on those calls and contacts is like taking my foot off the accelerator. I'll coast for a little while, but soon I notice a distinct drag. QUOTE]

When you've been around longer (if you've really worked your business in the past), you get a little longer to coast!

AJPratt said:
My business has been very fluid, based on my needs at the time. Right after our kick off, I made it a priority to get into high gear (or I will have to try to find a job). So, I've been a consultant 4 years as of June 30th! I feel like now I have a list to draw from, I've had repeat shows and I am really comfortable making calls and asking for bookings. It took me a while, but I really feel like when I treated it really seriously, it made a big change.

PS When I first told my DH's extended family in NH, someone made the remark, "Well, that's great, but at some point the well will run dry." Supportive, huh? I was thrilled to get to tell her, "Can you believe its been 4 years for me working with PC? And the economy... OMG, I am busier than ever." Her response; a shocked "Really?"
Wait till it's 8 -- I'm shocked it's been that long. And for those who have a problem picking up the phone, that may or may not get better. It's still sometimes hard for me to pick up the phone. Try the 3-2-1 method. . .it does get you in the habit and makes it easier.

Last year was a slow year for me. I really didn’t feel like doing much of anything. . .but here I am and my business survived. There are ups and downs (just like anything else) and you have to make the decision to go with the flow or get out. Your personal effort and commitment makes all the difference. It is still work (which is a 4-letter word) but I’d rather do this than have a boss. That’s what keeps me moving.

Bad economy? I live in Michigan and this year I've had more $1000 shows than in past years.

1. How long does it typically take to see profits in a new business?

The timeline for seeing profits in a new business can vary greatly and depends on many factors such as the industry, business model, and market demand. Generally, it can take anywhere from 1-3 years to see consistent profits, but it could also take longer. It's important to have a solid business plan and be prepared for potential challenges along the way.

2. Is there a specific timeframe for "building" a successful business?

There is no set timeframe for building a successful business as it can vary greatly depending on the individual, the business idea, and the resources available. Some entrepreneurs are able to build successful businesses quickly while others may take several years. The key is to stay motivated, adaptable, and focused on long-term growth.

3. How much time and effort should be dedicated to building a business?

The amount of time and effort needed to build a business varies depending on the individual and the business model. In general, building a successful business requires a significant investment of time and effort, especially in the early stages. It's important to prioritize and focus on tasks that will have the most impact on the growth and success of the business.

4. Can a business be built while working a full-time job?

Yes, it is possible to build a business while also working a full-time job. However, it may require sacrificing personal time and working extra hours to make progress on the business. It's important to have a solid plan and be realistic about the time and resources needed to build a successful business while also working a full-time job.

5. What are some key factors that contribute to building a successful business?

Some key factors that contribute to building a successful business include having a clear and unique business idea, a strong business plan, a solid understanding of the target market, effective marketing and branding strategies, and a strong network of support and mentors. Additionally, being adaptable, persistent, and willing to learn and make changes as needed can also greatly contribute to the success of a business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Replies