• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discovering Our Pampered Chef© Items Are Made in China: My Shock and Feelings

In summary, this conversation reveals that a large portion of the items in Pampered Chef's line are made in China. This has caused some people to question the safety of these products, and whether or not the company is supporting the American economy.
bsaxman
Silver Member
Ok... this is a shocker for me, but a week or so ago, my brother pointed out that a large portion of our items are MADE IN CHINA! Even the Forged Cutlery! :cry:

I, of course laughed and quickly said... "NO WAY!" Because I just blindly assumed (this was my first mistake!) that since Pampered Chef® was such a good, reputable company that most (if not all) of their items would be made in the USA. I feel taken aback! I wonder if small women and children in china are working in Pampered Chef® Factories overseas :eek: , and then I wonder about that whole lead paint issue... and can we really trust items that come from China? Are they safe? Are they supporting our economy or China's?

Ugh :grumpy: . I am really just not sure how to handle my feelings about this! It really is bothering me like a spinter in my foot... just enough to bother me. What's worse is that I guess I just feel small and powerless in this whole issue! Just thought I would share just in case there are some out there just as un-aware as I was!

Talk to your upline about it and maybe ask your upline Director to get you on a 3-way call with your sales manager to talk through it.I KNOW for a fact many people from HO have traveled overseas to see the quality of the items, etc....and I'm sure Berkshire-Hathway does not want a bad rep and checks the suppliers regularly.In IL there are groups of people assigned to each product line, cutlery, pantry, etc. to stay on top of things.Everything nowadays is made elsewhere...despite where you are on the issue, we are just not producing the technical structure or personnel to support making things here!

Rest assured that Doris and Marla would never put women and children in horrible situations just to deliver product to us.Check out Doris' book.. in it she explains why things are made in China. When she was starting PC, certain US companies wouldn't work with her to get the products to her specifications so she went elsewhere. Once they saw her success, they wanted to help out but Doris stays loyal to those who helped her.HO has made it clear, via the weekly e-mails and newsletters, that all of our products have been tested and contain NO lead.Be sure to research the products on Consultant's Corner in the Product Information Guide. Our forged knives are MADE in Germany and assembled in China, and anything assembled in China must have that on it.Hope this alleviates some of your concerns.

Oh, and PC has always in the past tried to purchase in the US first and foremost. Unfortunately that is VERY hard to do nowadays...I'm glad they state on the product guides and on the product where it is made instead of hiding it!

finley1991 said:
Rest assured that Doris and Marla would never put women and children in horrible situations just to deliver product to us.

Check out Doris' book.. in it she explains why things are made in China. When she was starting PC, certain US companies wouldn't work with her to get the products to her specifications so she went elsewhere. Once they saw her success, they wanted to help out but Doris stays loyal to those who helped her.

HO has made it clear, via the weekly e-mails and newsletters, that all of our products have been tested and contain NO lead.

Be sure to research the products on Consultant's Corner in the Product Information Guide. Our forged knives are MADE in Germany and assembled in China, and anything assembled in China must have that on it.

Hope this alleviates some of your concerns.

I was typing the same time as you with some of the additional stuff. :)

finley1991 said:
Rest assured that Doris and Marla would never put women and children in horrible situations just to deliver product to us.

Check out Doris' book.. in it she explains why things are made in China. When she was starting PC, certain US companies wouldn't work with her to get the products to her specifications so she went elsewhere.

I am really curious about her book! What is it called? Where can I get it? I really would like to get the record set straight and I would like to put my mind at ease with all of this if possible!

It's called "The Pampered Chef, The Story of One of America's Most Beloved Companies".

When I talk about the FG, I stress it is german forged steeled...but assembled in China for cost reduction purposes. (It helps the negativey out of it.)

Thanks for the great comments Colleen. I learned so much from your post!

This is very disturbing to me, too! Terrible Americans that won't work with Doris and keep the jobs stateside!!!

I tell my kids to never tell me if something they have is made in China! It's a bad word in my house. Don't get me wrong.... there is nothing wrong with China itself, I'm just kinda tired of all the other countries taking American jobs.

There was a thread awhile back wondering if the SA is safe since it's made in China. If you do a search you'll see; I think I posted the info that was in weekly bites saying the paint had been tested & is safe.
I too wish more was made here in the US, but I do believe our wonderful company only provides us with top-notch products to sell. (they back them by the great warranties too)

It's a sad fact of life that our products would be much more expensive if they were manufactured in the US, if there are even companies that could do it. But some of our core products (like stoneware) are still American-made. At least there are some things we can say that about.

chefann said:
It's a sad fact of life that our products would be much more expensive if they were manufactured in the US, if there are even companies that could do it.

But some of our core products (like stoneware) are still American-made. At least there are some things we can say that about.

Glad to know the stoneware is good to go! I was just suprised when I started looking at my tools... and sure enough the majority said "Made in China." I just can't help but wonder what the reasoning is behind producing the items in China vs. the US. I am looking forward to reading the book that was suggested and I hope that it will clear things up for me!

I think mostly it's because of what Ann said... there is just no way we could be competitive in the market we're in.

And I hate to say it, but the majority of people just don't care where a product is made as long as it does the job that it's meant to do.

Just curious though Brandi... the computer you're using... where was it made? The TV you and your family watch at night? The clothes you're wearing? I understand your concern with PC products... but is it only with PC products or other things too?

Last edited:
finley1991 said:
Just curious though Brandi... the computer you're using... where was it made? The TV you and your family watch at night? The clothes you're wearing? I understand your concern with PC products... but is it only with PC products or other things too?

It used to never bother me, and I never gave it a second thought! But it's an issue thats really important to my hubby, and out of respect to him I started showing more of an interst in it... and now that we have been married 1.5 years it is slowly but surely becoming just as important to me. We try to take whatever steps we can to purchase USA products-- when we can but it's almost IMPOSSIBLE! I guess I just feel that by SELLING the products it makes me feel more responsibe, if that makes any sense!

finley1991 said:
Check out Doris' book.. in it she explains why things are made in China. When she was starting PC, certain US companies wouldn't work with her to get the products to her specifications so she went elsewhere. Once they saw her success, they wanted to help out but Doris stays loyal to those who helped her.
I just got done reading her book (a must read!). Actually, she went to China and met with some Chinese businessmen. She was the only woman in the room and the businessmen treated her horribly. They spoke in Chinese the whole time and basically disrespected her. She ended up not doing business with them and had that particular product produced in Thailand.

It would be nice if we could make and sell everything we need in the US but as sad as it is...Americans expect and need to get paid more than a few dollars an hour. If we made everything in America...Americans would not be able to afford the product we are putting out. It is a sad and unfortunate truth.

You'll be better off taking a course in US imports and exports and trade agreements, or a world economics course, instead of reading Doris' book. I read the book, and she mentions reasons for doing things when she first started 28 years ago, but a lot has changed in the world since 1980, and PC is a MUCH bigger company now, too.

As others have mentioned, it's just a fact of life in the US that many of the products we buy and use daily are manufactured in other countries. It's all about economies of scale, supply & demand, resource availability (raw materials as well as physical labor). I think most big companies do their research and make sure that the factories where their products are manufactured are abiding by the regulations set forth in the trade agreements with the US. Of course, we've all seen the "news stories" of the horrible working conditions in other countries, but really, if we didn't buy our clothes that were manufactured in India (or China, etc.), then those people would be out on the street panhandling - those factories are their lifeblood. Our country has moved from mostly agriculture and manufacturing to financial management because it's just too costly to grow food and make things in this country anymore. It would take me about 4 months to explain all of the dynamics involved, though.

Overall, I think it's short-sighted and naiive to think that we could buy everything "American" - aren't we all human beings? And, shouldn't we be worried about the global economy, esp. with oil prices rising and more people investing in foreign markets for the retirement savings? Not only is it unwise to wear such blinders, it's un-American, really - weren't we the "melting pot" at one point? Whatever happened to that mentality?

A sad fact is that the foreign companies will do things and do things for less that most Americans won't. No matter where you stand on NAFTA or immigration, it is probably one of the saddest things. I heard George Lopez once say that they have touched almost everything before "we" do. It is unfortunate, but true.
I too try to buy USA products, but as most of you know it is very difficult.
Don't shoot me for saying what I did.

Ok - this is probably OT a bit - but I just got back from a show - I had "the customer" we all just "adore" - ( yes there is a bit of neg in my tone!!) Well I am in the middle of my stoneware smeal when she asks can she try the kitchen spritzer, ( fyi - I fill mine with water to demo at a show ) the first thing she says is " are all your products made in Canada??" I answer "no they are not" . Well the show continues and I can't remember what product card she was looking at ( she won a prize) and says "hmmm do you sell in France? This has french on it??" I am like .... ok lady , your getting on my nerves... but politely say , Oh yes we are international. "Do you have a website I can research your product line??" - Now I am like...??? I directed her to the website for HO and mine for orders -

Has anyone used the new colander and bowl set? They are now made in us and are so much more cheaply made than the last set!

cathyskitchen said:
It's all about economies of scale, supply & demand, resource availability (raw materials as well as physical labor).

Our country has moved from mostly agriculture and manufacturing to financial management because it's just too costly to grow food and make things in this country anymore. It would take me about 4 months to explain all of the dynamics involved, though.

Great post Cathy! I remember sitting in an economics class (in younger days) and commenting that I thought 'buying American' was a good way to support our economy. Our professor was brillant (and very apolotical) and proceeded to clearly and rationally lay out the reasons why buying the best product available (in one's price range) is the best thing we can do for our economy. In the long run, a free market economy actually creates jobs and growth by constantly generating new visions, new and better products, and new opportunities. For us as consumers, it gives us better choices and more value for our dollar.

I remember when Ford, Chrysler, and GM were moaning about the Japanese imports...but it forced them to significantly improve the quality of their product to the point where they are competetive again.

Don't want to get into a debate here; just wanted to thank you for your post.

Thanks, Leggy - I'm not trying to start a debate, either - rather, just giving a different viewpoint and offering other ideas for people to think about before they just say that they will 'only buy American'. I remember getting into a heated argument with my grandfather about this when I was in college, when he swore he'd never buy a foreign car (and he was in the car manufacuring business and KNEW that many of the parts of his "American" car were made in other countries!). But, Grandpop fought in WWII, so there wasn't much I could say to sway his opinion. ;)

I'm currently taking Dave Ramsey's FPU Course and last week's class was about investing. One part of his investment suggestion is international mutual funds. When he talked about that he rattled off a list of companies (ALL American companies) and said that they would be great to invest in. But what was shocking about the list is that while they are all "here" and their products are made in the US, they are not technically US companies... they are based here and make stuff here but their are incorporated in other countries, thus not "technically" an American corporation. The one that shocked me the most was when he mentioned Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. I just figured they were a US Company because they are here. So sometimes when we think we are "buying" American, we aren't really. Also, my Honda Accord, when I got it it had a sticker in it saying, "Made in Kentucky." Go figure...

Related to Discovering Our Pampered Chef© Items Are Made in China: My Shock and Feelings

1. What products from Pampered Chef are made in China?

Some of the products from Pampered Chef that are made in China include stoneware, cookware, and some kitchen gadgets and tools. However, not all of our products are made in China. We also have items made in the USA, Canada, and other countries.

2. Why does Pampered Chef have products made in China?

Pampered Chef is committed to providing high-quality, affordable products to our customers. By manufacturing some of our products in China, we are able to keep our prices reasonable and offer a wide variety of products.

3. Are the products made in China as good as those made in other countries?

Yes, our products made in China are held to the same high standards as products made in other countries. We have a team of quality control experts who ensure that all of our products meet our standards for safety and performance.

4. Are the products made in China safe to use?

Yes, all of our products, regardless of where they are manufactured, are rigorously tested for safety. We also comply with all safety regulations and standards in the countries where our products are sold.

5. How does Pampered Chef ensure ethical working conditions in their factories in China?

Pampered Chef is committed to ethical manufacturing practices and we conduct regular audits of our factories in China to ensure compliance with our standards. We also work with our suppliers to provide fair wages and safe working conditions for all employees.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• emiscookin
  • Bookings, Sales, Shows, Booths etc
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kidzmom55
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies